No announcement yet.

2010 Eagles Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice write-up EATW. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the eagles grabbed two CBs in the first 3 rounds, like they did with Lito and Sheldon. I would love to get Kyle Wilson in the 1st and then a Jerome Murphy or Chris Cook in the 3rd.

Comment

• Hahaha, I'm working on my mock right now, its a little different than most of them, but I think, so far, you guys would like it, and so far, it seems realistic. I do have trades in it, only two, but you'll see more of it when I do the mock...
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• A little quick mock after the nice trades we had.

1) Maurkice Pouncey, C/OG, Florida
        2a) Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
        2b) Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
        3a) Major Wright, S, Florida
        3b) Austen Lane, DE, Murray State
        4a) Riley Cooper/Eric Decker, WR
        4b) Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee
        5) Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
        6) Colin Peek, TE, Alabama
        7a) Ryan Stamper, OLB, Florida
        7b) Sean Canfield/Jonathan Crompton, QB

Wow, that's a lot of Florida guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
          A little quick mock after the nice trades we had.

Many Florida guys, lol. I like Pouncey there, depending on the situation. I'm personally not the biggest Kareen Jackson fan, but I'd be happy with him if we had to settle. I'm not sure I'd want Spikes, just me though. At that value, Wright is absolutely fine with me. I like the Lane pick, would certainly help out the rotation. I'd be really happy with either WR in that situation, though I personally doubt the Eagles use a draft pick that high on a WR. I love Hardesty, depending on the sitation I'd love that pick, I just don't know if he'll be available there.

I like Mesko, but I personally can't say that Rocca is bad enough to spend this high a pick on a punter when there are some other needs that need to be addressed. I like the Peek pick, but I question his availablility as well. I was looking for a TE in that range too, and I feel as though the Eagles may be better off going with a UDFA, as the blocking TEs will be gone around that area, and we could get away without drafting one.

I like the Stamper pick as a backup, I think there may be some LBs with greater value available at that time though. I like you addressed QB, I just think it may need to be addressed a little earlier. I have the Eagles taking a QB in the 5th round in my mock, which I'll post a little later on tonight.

Overally a solid mock, I like a few picks, and not as much with others. No one I hate, so I wouldn't be too upset if the Eagles draft turned out like that.

Comment

• Here's my attempt, lol. I'll try to make it as realistic as possible.

*Trade* 1st round pick (#24 overall) and 6th round pick (#200 overall) to New England for their 1st round pick (#22 overall)

Round 1 (#22 overall) Kyle Wilson CB Boise State - If there's not great value on the O-Line, the packers may very well target a CB at #23. The eagles have a lot of interest in Wilson and just like Maclin a year ago, the eagles package a 6th round pick to move up 2 spots and grab their guy. Wilson is the total package, he's extrmely fluid and excellent in coverage but is also a playmaker when he gets the chance. Can challenge Ellis Hobbs for the right CB spot as a rookie which he should win, and will be the eventual successor to Asante Samuel at left CB.

Round 2 (#37 overall) Daryl Washington OLB TCU - The LB position, aside from Stewart Bradley, is extremely underwhelming. Akeem Jordan is a nice player, but he is not a game changer by any stretch of the imagination. Daryl Washington has all the physical tools you look for in a great 4-3 weakside linebacker, and should challenge for a starting position as a rookie.

Round 2 (55 overall) Jon Asamoah C/OG Illinois - Asamoah played guard at Illinois but he is versatile enough to play both center and guard at the next level, which happens to be 2 of the eagles biggest question marks right now. He's not quite on the same level as Maurkice Pouncey, but he is very athletic and has a mean streak which are some qualities the eagles love in offensive linemen. Definitely a long-term starter for the eagles at either C or RG.

Round 3 (#70 overall) Jerome Murphy CB/S South Florida - It is clear the eagles love the CB/S tweeners and Murphy fits that description. If Marlin Jackson is not 100% healthy, Murphy can provide competition at that spot with Macho and Demps. If Marlin Jackson can come back healthy, Murphy can go right into his long-term position at CB. It looks pretty likely that Asante Samuel is not in the long-term plans of the eagles, so Murphy can be groomed as the eventual starter at CB opposite Kyle Wilson.

Round 3 (#87 overall) Ricky Sapp DE Clemson - The eagles worked out Sapp and apparently showed a lot of interest in him. I like Daryl Tapp a lot at LDE opposite Cole but the eagles are in need of pass rushers and Sapp can be a nice piece to the rotation with his speed off the edge.

Round 4 (#105 overall) John Skelton QB Fordham - I don't see this being an overly popular pick especially considering he will only be a 3rd string QB as a rookie, but the eagles have shown a ton of interest in this guy throughout the off season and it makes a lot of sense. Mike Vick is a nice backup but he won't be around much longer so the eagles choose Skelton to groom as the long-term backup for Kolb.

Round 4 (#121 overall) Carlton Mitchell WR South Florida - The eagles are sitting pretty at the WR position but it can still be improved. Hank Baskett is a nice special teams player but I would like for the eagles to grab a guy who can complete one hell of a scary 4 WR set and Mitchell has been getting a lot of hype lately but I don't see him getting picked before this area.

Round 5 (#137 overall) Myron Rolle SS Florida State - The eagles don't have a true backup SS on the roster and that can hurt them if something happened to Quintin Mikell. You have to think the eagles are interested in Rolle with his character and I think he has a good enough skillset to find a nice niche on the team as a very reliable backup/special teamer for the eagles.

Comp - Round 7 (#243 overall) Joique Bell RB Wayne State - This guy got a lot of hype as a mid-round prospect around the senior bowl but that has died down and now I view him as more of a borderline draftable guy. I'm willing to give him a shot though and think he can challenge Eldra Buckley for the #3 RB spot.

Comp - Round 7 (#244 overall) Kevin Haslam OT Rutgers - Andy Reid can't help himself and grabs another OL prospect late in the draft. Haslam was over-shadowed by Anthony Davis his whole career but has held his own and could be a solid backup to Winston Justice at RT.

*Key FA Pickups*

Nathan Overbay TE Eastern Washington
            - Talented small-school prospect who can compete for the 3rd TE spot.

Adrian Tracy DE William & Mary - Very productive small-school pass rusher who could surprise in TC.

Max Hall QB BYU - Anual BYU UDFA pickup. Practice Squad candidate who might be groomed as the future #3 QB.

Comment

• Well, here is my mock. I included two trades, one of which has the Eagles moving up in the first round (trading #24 and 87 to Pitt for #18), and the other has the Eagles moving down in the mid-later rounds and getting another pick (trading #137 to Bal for #144 and 202). I'm sure there will be more than two trades for the Eagles, but I have no idea exactly, so I went with two scenarios that I found most likely. For the trade up in the first, I'm not saying it is definitely going to happen, but with the trades, and the picks the Eagles now have, it is a lot more likely they trade up than before. Another of the more likely scenarios for trades is I could see the Eagles trading one of next year's thrid rounder for a fourth rounder in this year's draft, but I'm not going to screw with that. Anyway, here is my full mock, as it stands right now...

Round 1
              #18 (via trade with Pitt): CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State.
              Up until recently, I haven't known much about him, just that a lot of people like him. But I did some research, watched his youtube stuff, as well as looking up info on Boise State's page, and am really, really beginning to like him a lot. The more I find out, the more I like. He is a CB that fits our defense well, with the size that we look for (5'10 and 195ish). He is known for his playmaking ability, but also does a great job supporting the run. He is also a natural leader, according to Scott, and many other scouts, which is only an added bonus. There are worries about him being a bit overaggressive, and with time, he should "relax" and it shouldn't be as much of a problem. As I've come to learn more about him, I realize why just about everyone is high on him.

I believe Earl Thomas will go shortly ahead of pick 18, otherwise, he would get SERIOUS consideration here. Other guys potentiallyavailable at this pick the Eagles may be targetting are Mike Iupati and Sean Witherspoon. Iupati could be the pick as well since the Eagles value OL just as much as CB, but I think with the bigger needs being in the secondary, the Eagles go with CB. Weatherspoon is a possibility, but history shows LBs are valued low (as you all know) and I'm not going to be the one who says they break away from their track record, despite the man-crush I have on Weatherspoon.

Round 2
              #37 (via Washington): Vladmir Ducasse, OL, UMass.
              We all know how much the Eagles value O-linemenm, especially versatile ones. Ducasse is just that. He is big, nasty, and versatile. The Eagles have a track record of drafting smaller school O-linemen, and with how Ducasse can fit in 4 positions on our offense, he would be extremely valuable. I would see Ducasse coming in initially as our RG, and if Justice would fall off at RT, Ducasse could man that spot as well. Ducasse is a guy I have liked for a while, he would be a great fit. He has the temprament (sp?), strength, athletecism, and size that would fit in perfect for our O-line. What I really like is his ability to pull, and with how our offense uses our Guards to pull, he would be a great fit at RG for us. My only worry is that he may be gone by this pick.

Other players that got consideration were Taylor Mays (probably not available anyway), Everson Griffen, and Devin McCourtey. I personally think Mays would be a good fit for our defense, and offers versatility of position among the safety slots. Griffen would be a good fit at LE for us, but even with how the Eagles value DL, I don't think, with the addition of Tapp, that they see DE as this big of a need yet. McCourtey would be great value here, but I doubt he'd be available, and with picking Wilson, another CB isn't needed this early in the draft, unless Asante would be getting shipped out soon, which I doubt.

#55: Navorro Bowman, WLB, PSU.
              I've watched him play for the last few years at PSU and have been impressed with him. He makes plays in all areas of the field. He does well in coverage, handles the inside run well, and what I like most of all, maintains outside leverage in perimeter run plays. He isn't the best blitzer, but he navigates through traffic well, and can shed blocks at times, though it is something he will need to improve on. Off field issues make him fall a bit, and if he can fix those in Philly, we have a very good WLB for a long time. I am not crazy enough to go out on a limb and say the Eagles will draft a LB in the first, but I'm just crazy enough to say they'll do it in the second...

Other players I considered were Morgan Burnett, Jerome Murphy, Perrish Cox, and Jonathan Dwyer. I feel Burnett will be avialble at the beginning of the third round, and Bowman offers more value at the pick, at arguably, a bigger position of need. Though I entertained the idea of drafting another CB in round three in Murphy or Cox, I feel the need at LB is more than that of another CB, even though CB is historically valued more. With Wilson added to the CBs, you have, once again a solid group of CBs, and I feel the Eagles could afford to wait a little longer on drafting a CB. There are rumors about Dwyer being scouted heavily by the Eagles, and I understand it, he and Shady would compliment eachother very nicely. I just don't think the Eagles, who have a history of waiting on RBs, will draft a RB in the second round two years in a row, especially with the other needs around them and the RB situation being pretty well off. It is very possible though because (I think) both Bell and Buckley have only one year left on their contracts.

Round 3
              #70: Morgan Burnett, S, GT.
              I like Burnett a lot and think whoever gets him in this range is going to get a very good player. He is another versatile player could play either Safety spot in our system and would immeiately upgrade FS, or, if the Eagles feel comfortable at FS (I personally don't), they can have him as a backup SS to Mikell. I personally would rather have him at FS because he can make plays in both aspects of the game, but has a knack for coverage and coverage angles, while still being physical enough in the run game.

Toby Gerhart, Perrish Cox, and Brandon Ghee were also considered here, but as I've said in other picks, I don't think RB is enough of a need yet, maybe at all, and with drafting Wilson, CB can afford to be pushed back a bit with what we have there. This is the last of the "pther players I've considered" because once you reach round 4, its a crapshoot to see who is available...

#87 traded to Pitt in trade to draft Wilson.

Round 4
              #105:Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss.
              Hardy has fallen since last year due to injury issues and questions about his drive and dedication. Falling to the fourth round may be enough to get his ass in gear and try to earn his living. He has everything you want in DE for us... size, athletecism, ability in both phases of his game, but he lacks that will to compete. Coming into the situation we have at DE would help him greatly, there are plenty of players to compete with, and because of the rotation, it will minimize the possibility of getting injured, as well as helping him with what some call endurance issues. If he is available, he would be a great pick, and a potential steal if he can get his work ethic straightened out.

#121:A.J. Jefferson, CB, Fresno State.
              Another CB with the size the Eagles look for in their CBs, with a balanced game. He may not be a playmaker, but he is a playbreaker. He is good at getting in the way of the ball and is a willing run supporter. Though he may have limitted upside, he will at least be a solid contributor as a #4 or 5 CB and special teamer.

Round 5
              #137 traded to Bal for #144 and 202...

#144:Zac Robinson, QB, OK State.
              With McNabb gone, and Kolb stepping in with no QB on our roster signed past the end of this upcoming season, drafting a QB is a certainty, not only because of the contracts expiring, but also as a security measure if, for whatever reason, Kolb wouldn't work out. Robinson has benefitted from some weapons at his disposal, but has good accuracy and arm strength. He would be another project to an extent, but there are a lot of tools to work with and he would be a great pick here.

Round 6
              #200: Darian Stewart, SS, S.C.
              Stewart is a stocky Safety who is great in run support and has the ability to break up passes. He would serve as a good backup to Mikell as well as a special teamer. He hits hard and is a good tackler who is a great in the box type of Safety. Due to his lack of range I doubt he would ever be more than a backup and special teamer, however.

#202:Kerry Meier, WR, Kansas.
              I know there are a lot of you guys saying, "wrong Kansas WR", lol, but I personally feel the Eagles, though they do need one WR, will be able to afford to wait until later in the draft with the solid 4 they have already, as well as Jordan Norwood, who I have always had a lot of faith in. But Meier is a tall guy with long arms who would add another red zone target for the Eagles, and would be an excellent #5 receiver.

Round 7
              #243(comp):Cole Pemberton, OT, Col. State.
              The typical small school O-line prospect the Eagles like to bring in for competition. He could very well go undrafted, but he has the size (6'7+ and ~315 lbs) the Eagles like. He isn't "nasty" but plays tough, and could back up RT, or at least provide competition for backup RT

#244(comp): Doug Worthington, DT, Ohio State.
              Sniper, your probably upset I had to put an Ohio State player in here, so just imagine its another late round DT that fits well, lol. Worthington has more height than most of our DTs, but has longer arms and plays the run very well. He would be a solid contributor to the DT rotation, and with some teaching, could develope his pass rush abilities as well.

There is is, love it or hate it, there you go. I'm pretty happy with it. I tried to make it realistic based on value of prospect, value to the team, need, fit, and a few other factors, but if the Eagles draft turned out like this, I'd be pretty happy with it.
              Last edited by eaglesalltheway; 04-05-2010, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                Here's my attempt, lol. I'll try to make it as realistic as possible.

*Trade* 1st round pick (#24 overall) and 6th round pick (#200 overall) to New England for their 1st round pick (#22 overall)

Round 1 (#22 overall) Kyle Wilson CB Boise State - If there's not great value on the O-Line, the packers may very well target a CB at #23. The eagles have a lot of interest in Wilson and just like Maclin a year ago, the eagles package a 6th round pick to move up 2 spots and grab their guy. Wilson is the total package, he's extrmely fluid and excellent in coverage but is also a playmaker when he gets the chance. Can challenge Ellis Hobbs for the right CB spot as a rookie which he should win, and will be the eventual successor to Asante Samuel at left CB.

Round 2 (#37 overall) Daryl Washington OLB TCU - The LB position, aside from Stewart Bradley, is extremely underwhelming. Akeem Jordan is a nice player, but he is not a game changer by any stretch of the imagination. Daryl Washington has all the physical tools you look for in a great 4-3 weakside linebacker, and should challenge for a starting position as a rookie.

Round 2 (55 overall) Jon Asamoah C/OG Illinois - Asamoah played guard at Illinois but he is versatile enough to play both center and guard at the next level, which happens to be 2 of the eagles biggest question marks right now. He's not quite on the same level as Maurkice Pouncey, but he is very athletic and has a mean streak which are some qualities the eagles love in offensive linemen. Definitely a long-term starter for the eagles at either C or RG.

Round 3 (#70 overall) Jerome Murphy CB/S South Florida - It is clear the eagles love the CB/S tweeners and Murphy fits that description. If Marlin Jackson is not 100% healthy, Murphy can provide competition at that spot with Macho and Demps. If Marlin Jackson can come back healthy, Murphy can go right into his long-term position at CB. It looks pretty likely that Asante Samuel is not in the long-term plans of the eagles, so Murphy can be groomed as the eventual starter at CB opposite Kyle Wilson.

Round 3 (#87 overall) Ricky Sapp DE Clemson - The eagles worked out Sapp and apparently showed a lot of interest in him. I like Daryl Tapp a lot at LDE opposite Cole but the eagles are in need of pass rushers and Sapp can be a nice piece to the rotation with his speed off the edge.

Round 4 (#105 overall) John Skelton QB Fordham - I don't see this being an overly popular pick especially considering he will only be a 3rd string QB as a rookie, but the eagles have shown a ton of interest in this guy throughout the off season and it makes a lot of sense. Mike Vick is a nice backup but he won't be around much longer so the eagles choose Skelton to groom as the long-term backup for Kolb.

Round 4 (#121 overall) Carlton Mitchell WR South Florida - The eagles are sitting pretty at the WR position but it can still be improved. Hank Baskett is a nice special teams player but I would like for the eagles to grab a guy who can complete one hell of a scary 4 WR set and Mitchell has been getting a lot of hype lately but I don't see him getting picked before this area.

Round 5 (#137 overall) Myron Rolle SS Florida State - The eagles don't have a true backup SS on the roster and that can hurt them if something happened to Quintin Mikell. You have to think the eagles are interested in Rolle with his character and I think he has a good enough skillset to find a nice niche on the team as a very reliable backup/special teamer for the eagles.

Comp - Round 7 (#243 overall) Joique Bell RB Wayne State - This guy got a lot of hype as a mid-round prospect around the senior bowl but that has died down and now I view him as more of a borderline draftable guy. I'm willing to give him a shot though and think he can challenge Eldra Buckley for the #3 RB spot.

Comp - Round 7 (#244 overall) Kevin Haslam OT Rutgers - Andy Reid can't help himself and grabs another OL prospect late in the draft. Haslam was over-shadowed by Anthony Davis his whole career but has held his own and could be a solid backup to Winston Justice at RT.

*Key FA Pickups*

Nathan Overbay TE Eastern Washington
                - Talented small-school prospect who can compete for the 3rd TE spot.

Adrian Tracy DE William & Mary - Very productive small-school pass rusher who could surprise in TC.

Max Hall QB BYU - Anual BYU UDFA pickup. Practice Squad candidate who might be groomed as the future #3 QB.
                I like the Wilson pick, as you can see, lol, I just feel we are going to have to move up further than two spots to get him. Honestly, besides our difference in opinion on how WR and RB should be valued, our drafts are basically the same, lol. I like the FA pickups as well. I wanted to get a TE in the round 6 area, but I saw it fitting better if the Eagles go after a UDFA type guy.

Comment

• I'm actually basing the Wilson pick off my latest full NFL Mock where I had Wilson going 23 to the packers, but I agree, I can definitely see them trading up further for him. I would love your draft as well, like you mentioned we pretty much covered the same positions, it's just a matter of preference about what players we want. I actually like Ducasse a lot as a value/need pick at 37, didn't even think of that.

Comment

• JR: Getting back to the mental toughness concept. What you said there reminds me of down in Mobile (Senior Bowl week) where we stood with (the GM of his team) and watched Vlad Ducasse beg the coaches to move back inside after a couple of bad plays at tackle. Is that more of what you’re talking about?

Scout: You got it. I know we said right then there ain’t no way he’s ever gonna make it. He’s afraid of getting beat and looking bad. That’s the risk you run with the smaller college guys and the kids that everyone calls “projects” (yes, he made the air quotes!). There is a hell of a lot of pressure on those kids to try and hit home runs on every pitch and never look bad. Especially early on. Some of the kids can handle it, some can’t. He can’t, and that ain’t gonna change. Move him to guard, whatever...that’s (how they handle it) hard to see from those kids that come from small schools or kids like him that haven’t played very long.
                    That is from an NFL scout. I think that is a pretty interesting outlook on him as well. I don't exactly know how I feel about Ducasse quite yet. I mean he has all the physical tools, but I just don't know how well he will transition to the NFL game. During the Senior Bowl he was all over the place. Dominant one play and abused the next. The beauty of having an oline coach like Juan Castillo is that we can take projects like Ducasse and help them reach their potential.

Comment

A little quick mock after the nice trades we had.

I like the Pouncey and Kareem Jackson picks, but Spikes in the second round? He runs the same 40 time I do, he's simply too slow to play as a LB in a 4-3 and is a waste of a pick in the second round.

Comment

• Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
                        He runs the same 40 time I do
                        But, you know, he's good at football, which should supercede a ZOMGZ SLOW 40 time.

Comment

• Great write up back on page 15, EATW...

Alright, I'm almost certain the birds are trading up in the 1st, have no idea who we're targeting though. Guess it all depends on how high we can move up, but you would think Reid & Co. will be looking to add 1st round talent on the defensive side of the ball. Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson, Sean Weatherspoon are guys I like... I believe this draft is going to be crucial in determining the make up of our defense for the next 5-7 years.

Originally posted by snuff
                          Yeah, good joke. Awesome.

Comment

• Maybe they are hoping for Berry to fall and move him to Cb? Idk Eagles are pretty hard to peg when it comes to the draft.

Comment

That is from an NFL scout. I think that is a pretty interesting outlook on him as well. I don't exactly know how I feel about Ducasse quite yet. I mean he has all the physical tools, but I just don't know how well he will transition to the NFL game. During the Senior Bowl he was all over the place. Dominant one play and abused the next. The beauty of having an oline coach like Juan Castillo is that we can take projects like Ducasse and help them reach their potential.
                              That is a little concerning, honestly. But we have to keep in mind these are young men (It feels weird saying this when I too am a "young man") who are under a lot of pressure during that week in Mobile. He may realize he'd lose a lot of money if he kept getting beat during those practices and games, and was just trying to look as good as possible for scouts. You can't blame him I guess, though it would definitely impressed scouts more if he would've manned up and did what he had to do at Tackle instead of taking the "easy" route.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                                But, you know, he's good at football, which should supercede a ZOMGZ SLOW 40 time.
                                Spikes is really a tough spot for me. I like everything about him as a player (ok, a little bit of a lie), but I have to think that his slow 40 time (as much as I hate to base things off 40 times, this should tell you something) really is important and will mean that he would really struggle in a defense like ours.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information