Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
    My dream scenario right now is thus:

#24: Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas (trade up to 15-19 range if necessary)

#37: Jerry Hughes

#55: Sean Lee or Daryl Washington

This way, they can walk away with a potentially elite DB, a potentially elite pass-rusher, and a potentially elite linebacker all in the same draft.

Of course, they could just as easily go Nate Allen or Devin McCourty with the #37 pick, even with the selection of Thomas/Wilson in the first round, because DB is such a need area, but I think if Jerry Hughes falls to that spot it would be too great a value to pass up.

Andy could also just as easily throw us a curveball and pick an OL like Mike Iupati with the #24 pick, and if that does happen, I'll be disappointed. If Iupati or Pouncey is the pick, he better be the most dominant, tough, mean SOB we've ever seen on an OL anywhere, because neglecting the defense in such a deep defensive draft would be criminal.
    I think the consensus of the ideal and (realistically) potential picks is either Thomas or Wilson, that is pretty much covered, but after that, the draft for the Eagles can go a bunch of different ways. I too think the secondary is the biggest area that could use improvement, but I think you are underestimating the need along the OL as well. If Thomas and Wilson are gone, I'd be ecstatic with either Pouncey or Iupati. It all depends on the situation. OL is a big enough need that I think it needs to (and will) be addressed in the first 70 picks of this draft for the Eagles, and with how the team values OL, and the talent along the OL, it is very possible a first or early second rounder is used on an O-linemen. This draft isn't just deep in defensive talent, its deep in just about every single position.
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• The thing is - an OL, especially an interior OL, even if he's great, will only do so much to help you win games.

Say they draft a C or OG with a high pick and he turns into a stud. What does that do for you, maybe help your running game gain some more yards? You're still fundamentally throttled by the ability of your quarterback and your running backs, and the other offensive linemen.

If they shoot for a DB like a safety or a cornerback who has the ability to make solo plays (interceptions) or be a shutdown player, that will generate far more wins for the team than even an elite OL could. A playmaker in the Ed Reed type (Thomas can become this) would give so much more value if you count the potential interceptions.

Even a DE who can generate sacks will provide more value than an elite interior OL. A 10+ sack / season DE is far more valuable than an elite OG. Every sack and every forced fumble can change the nature of the game. A great run blocker or great pass protector can only do so much to affect the game because, again, the performance of the offense is limited by the efficacy of the QB and the RBs and other skill players. Look at the Saints and their shoddy OL. Drew Brees and his skill players make it work, the line is merely average. Look at the Cleveland Browns - they have an elite line with the best LT in the game (Joe Thomas), but they still suck and can't score, because it's the skill players that matter.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a play for a guy like Pouncey or Iupati in the upper rounds, but I think it would be a mistake to spend any first or second round pick on an offensive linemen in this year's draft with a.) so many needs on defense and b.) the wealth of defensive talent in this year's draft.

Comment

• Jerry Hughes is LONG gone by that point, Earl Thomas is potentially going top 10 right now and Darryl Washington will have to be taken at #37 if he is going to be an Eagle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
          The thing is - an OL, especially an interior OL, even if he's great, will only do so much to help you win games.

Say they draft a C or OG with a high pick and he turns into a stud. What does that do for you, maybe help your running game gain some more yards? You're still fundamentally throttled by the ability of your quarterback and your running backs, and the other offensive linemen.

If they shoot for a DB like a safety or a cornerback who has the ability to make solo plays (interceptions) or be a shutdown player, that will generate far more wins for the team than even an elite OL could. A playmaker in the Ed Reed type (Thomas can become this) would give so much more value if you count the potential interceptions.

Even a DE who can generate sacks will provide more value than an elite interior OL. A 10+ sack / season DE is far more valuable than an elite OG. Every sack and every forced fumble can change the nature of the game. A great run blocker or great pass protector can only do so much to affect the game because, again, the performance of the offense is limited by the efficacy of the QB and the RBs and other skill players. Look at the Saints and their shoddy OL. Drew Brees and his skill players make it work, the line is merely average. Look at the Cleveland Browns - they have an elite line with the best LT in the game (Joe Thomas), but they still suck and can't score, because it's the skill players that matter.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a play for a guy like Pouncey or Iupati in the upper rounds, but I think it would be a mistake to spend any first or second round pick on an offensive linemen in this year's draft with a.) so many needs on defense and b.) the wealth of defensive talent in this year's draft.
          Ummm a top tier line is a must with what the Eagles are doing, they are installing a QB with minimal experience and with how important interior line play is a smart dominant center is a huge upgrade. The center is who tells the rest of the line who to block, and of all the line spots its the most crucial that you have a person that can get out of his stance fast

We are downgrading as of mobility at the QB spot. Kolb can kinda run i wont call him even Mark Sanchez mobile but he can sidestep but you need a strong pocket so that he can step up and make passes. And with his arm strength being able to step into a throw makes alot of difference. Ratliff had a field day on Cole when he started at center, Jackson will not be ready for the start of the season.

Really you can argue that after a good LT a center is the most important spot on the offensive line. Pouncey is a gem and really the talent drops way off after him. There is great talent at CB and safety deep in this draft. Wilson is not a must have corner for the Eagles. He cannot press and struggles with larger receivers trust me I watched all of BSU games he is Asante part 2 that can kinda tackle. Kareem Jackson or Murphy would be better for the Eagles then him we are a blitzing team and we need more physical corners. and both can be had early second where the Eagles do have a pick.

And before you go ragging on the Saints line they send a guard a center and tackle to the pro bowl but they didn't play due to them being in the superbowl. (( Jahri Evans, Jonathan Goodwin, and Jonathan Stinchcomb. ))

Comment

• Alright, as of today, I'm thinking our 1st round pick will be used on a falling DE (tons of 1st round talent, some bound to slide), and our 2 2nd's will be DBs-- ala taking Sheldon and Michael Lewis in the 2nd way back in '02, AND THEN an interior lineman will be taken. Of course if Pouncey or Iupati are sitting there for us in the 1st it should make for a fun 10 minutes.

Originally posted by snuff
            Yeah, good joke. Awesome.

Comment

• I can definitely see that. I'm not crazy about the DE depth in rounds 2-3 but there are some quality DBs/OL/LBs in those rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by igglefanz View Post
                Ummm a top tier line is a must with what the Eagles are doing, they are installing a QB with minimal experience and with how important interior line play is a smart dominant center is a huge upgrade. The center is who tells the rest of the line who to block, and of all the line spots its the most crucial that you have a person that can get out of his stance fast

We are downgrading as of mobility at the QB spot. Kolb can kinda run i wont call him even Mark Sanchez mobile but he can sidestep but you need a strong pocket so that he can step up and make passes. And with his arm strength being able to step into a throw makes alot of difference. Ratliff had a field day on Cole when he started at center, Jackson will not be ready for the start of the season.

Really you can argue that after a good LT a center is the most important spot on the offensive line. Pouncey is a gem and really the talent drops way off after him. There is great talent at CB and safety deep in this draft. Wilson is not a must have corner for the Eagles. He cannot press and struggles with larger receivers trust me I watched all of BSU games he is Asante part 2 that can kinda tackle. Kareem Jackson or Murphy would be better for the Eagles then him we are a blitzing team and we need more physical corners. and both can be had early second where the Eagles do have a pick.

And before you go ragging on the Saints line they send a guard a center and tackle to the pro bowl but they didn't play due to them being in the superbowl. (( Jahri Evans, Jonathan Goodwin, and Jonathan Stinchcomb. ))
                I have to agree about OL value. Your skill position players are only as good as your O-line. Your QB can have a cannon with laser accuracy, but if he is getting rushed or put on his back, it doesn't matter. Your RB can be a beast and, unless he's Barry Sanders, he isn't going anywhere if he gets the ball and immediately a defender is in his face. Brees is an exception, but their OL does have some talent on it, and Payton schemes well with quick passes/ dumpoffs, as well as getting Brees out of the pocket on rollouts. In our offense, every linemen is valuable. Our Center is in control of the line, and our Guards need to be relied on for pulling as well as blocking in space more than most blocking schemes, and our Tackles are in charge of the elite pass rushers in our division, as well as the run blocking duties. An elite interior O-linemen will help immensely in both our passing game and running game.

As I see it, OL has great value mid-late first, and late second to fourth round. FS has great value throughout the first 3 or 4 rounds, CB has great value mid first, as well as the mid second-early fourth round, DE has value mid first and mid second-5th round in this draft. With the Eagles needs and the depth at these needs, it opens up a lot of possibilities for the Eagles to work with on draft day.

Comment

• If the Eagles get Earl Thomas, I will cry tears of joy.

Okay maybe not but you get the idea. The Eagles have the best defensive backs coach in the NFL now that Dick Jauron is back there. And when you put Earl Thomas on a team coached by Dick Jauron and Sean McDermott... Here let me put it this way, Jauron worked with Jaius Byrd last season and Earl Thomas coming out is better than Jaius Byrd. So can we just skip all the debates about how good Thomas would be on the Eagles and ask ourselves, how would Earl Thomas look atop the most interceptions in a season list? :D

Of course I'm kidding but Earl Thomas would be an inspired pick. I hope he falls, I'm going to start praying. Or maybe a trade up? O_o

If the Eagles trade up, I hope its for Joe Haden who might be falling on draft day.

Comment

• Latest Mock

- Trade Michael Vick for a 5th round pick and 2011 conditional (ranges from 6th-3rd)
                    - Sign Jeff Garcia

Round 1 - Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
                    Round 2a - Everson Griffen DE USC
                    Round 2b - Dexter McCluster RB/WR Ole Miss
                    Round 3a - Jon Asamoah C/G Illinois
                    Round 3b - Rennie Curran OLB Georgia
                    Round 4a - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB IUP
                    Round 4b - Kam Chancellor SS Virginia Tech
                    Round 5a - Armanti Edwards WR/Wildcat QB Appalachian State
                    Round 5b - Zoltan Mesko P Michigan
                    Round 6 - Antonio Coleman DE Auburn
                    Round 7a - Nathan Overbay TE Eastern Washington
                    Round 7b - Kevin Haslam OT Rutgers

Yes, I know there is a 0.002% chance the eagles make 12 picks, but I did it anyway. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                      If the Eagles get Earl Thomas, I will cry tears of joy.

Okay maybe not but you get the idea. The Eagles have the best defensive backs coach in the NFL now that Dick Jauron is back there. And when you put Earl Thomas on a team coached by Dick Jauron and Sean McDermott... Here let me put it this way, Jauron worked with Jaius Byrd last season and Earl Thomas coming out is better than Jaius Byrd. So can we just skip all the debates about how good Thomas would be on the Eagles and ask ourselves, how would Earl Thomas look atop the most interceptions in a season list? :D

Of course I'm kidding but Earl Thomas would be an inspired pick. I hope he falls, I'm going to start praying. Or maybe a trade up? O_o

If the Eagles trade up, I hope its for Joe Haden who might be falling on draft day.
                      If the Eagles do trade up, I could see it being for either Haden, Wilson, or Thomas, and either one I'd be ecstatic with. (Sorry, I just can't see getting Berry :()

But either would be incredible in our defense with Jauron as the DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                        Latest Mock

- Trade Michael Vick for a 5th round pick and 2011 conditional (ranges from 6th-3rd)
                        - Sign Jeff Garcia

Round 1 - Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
                        Round 2a - Everson Griffen DE USC
                        Round 2b - Dexter McCluster RB/WR Ole Miss
                        Round 3a - Jon Asamoah C/G Illinois
                        Round 3b - Rennie Curran OLB Georgia
                        Round 4a - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB IUP
                        Round 4b - Kam Chancellor SS Virginia Tech
                        Round 5a - Armanti Edwards WR/Wildcat QB Appalachian State
                        Round 5b - Zoltan Mesko P Michigan
                        Round 6 - Antonio Coleman DE Auburn
                        Round 7a - Nathan Overbay TE Eastern Washington
                        Round 7b - Kevin Haslam OT Rutgers

Yes, I know there is a 0.002% chance the eagles make 12 picks, but I did it anyway. lol
                        I like McCourtey at that pick, depending on who else is available, he is a very good fit in our CB role. Griffen in the second woudl be a good value pick, and as with the first pick, depending on the situation, I'd like that pick. I'm not a fan of the McCluster pick, I don't see RB or WR as that big of a need. There are many other positions that need to be addressed before the offensive skill positions.

Asamoah would be a great pick, I'm not sure if he'd be available in the third though, I think he will go sometime in the mid-late second, and if you had him at the McCluster pick, I'd like that a lot more honestly. He is a great fit in our Offense. I'd love the Rennie Curran pick, and if the Eagles wait until after the second for an LB, he is one of the guys I'd want the Eagles to target. Owusu-Ansa is flying up draft boards right now, and I see him going in the mid second-early third right now, but if he was available in the fourth round I'd love that pick. I think right around this area is where the Eagles will start targetting CBs again though.

Chancellor is a good pick for a backup to Mikell, I don't see him developing into a huge playmaker, due to his lack of great range, but he is physical and will be a very good backup/special teams guy. With the McCluster pick, I don't see the Eagles going after a WR, or a wildcat type guy. They currently have three guys that can run it already, and even if Vick is traded, the Wildcat can still be run effectively by DeSean or Shady. If we are looking at a QB here, even with the possible addition of Garcia, I'd look more at prototypical passers in this area.

I like Mesko a lot, would be a great pick there if he's still available. Coleman is a good pick there, another DE to add to the rotation. I like adding another TE, its something I feel could be addressed late as well. And another late round OL is in there as well, I could see Haslam being a guy who gets IRed and sticks around for a bit as a backup.

This would be a good draft for the Eagles, though I wish FS would be addressed early (or at all), though I can see it as possible if the team has confidence in the current group of FSs.

Comment

• What would you guys think if the eagles traded pick 24(Rd.1), 37(Rd.2), 70(Rd.3) and 105(Rd.4) to KC for pick #5 to get Eric Berry? I know it's unlikely but they would still have at least 1 pick in every round so they can still have a pretty full draft. I think he might be worth it.

Edit: And they can possibly have a draft like this:
                          - Eagles trade 1st round pick (24), 2nd round pick (37), 3rd round pick (70) and 4th round pick (105) to Kansas City for their 1st round pick (5)
                          - Sign QB Jeff Garcia

Round 1 - Eric Berry S Tennessee - Yes I believe Berry is worth it. He's the biggest difference maker at the safety position since Ed Reed and will instantly step into the starting role and will be a pro-bowl caliber player for 10 years.
                          Round 2 - Chris Cook CB Virginia - Berry could play CB if it's absolutely needed but his abilities are best utilized at safety. Chris Cook can possibly step in right away at RCB or at the very least provide excellent depth for now.
                          Round 3 - Rennie Curran OLB Georgia - Undersized for a LB but has all the intangibles you look for and will be an instant leader and play maker on the football field.
                          Round 4 - Lindsey Witten DE Connecticut - Very good pass rusher that can make a living as a rotational DE. Can fill Chris Clemons' old role and has the ability to be more successful in it.
                          Round 5 - Zane Beadles C/G Utah - Played LT at Utah but will have to make the move inside at the next level and at the very worst can provide excellent depth at multiple positions while also challenging for a starting role.
                          Round 6 - Mike Williams WR Syracuse - Very talented player who due to character concerns will go much lower in the draft than his ability suggests. If he can get his life on track this low risk pick will pay dividends.
                          Round 7 - Nathan Overbay TE Eastern Washington - Small school TE who can compete with Martin Rucker for the 3rd TE spot.
                          Round 7 - Michael Smith RB Arkansas - Undersized RB but has good speed and actually reminds me of a poor man's Felix Jones. Will challenge Eldra Buckley for #3 RB spot.
                          Last edited by Go_Eagles77; 04-12-2010, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• @ go eagles, I wouldnt mind hat at all, we could still grab a corner in the second. Our OL will need help, but can find the help with mid rounds.

Sig by Bone Krusher

Comment

• If the Eagles get Eric Berry, it would be the greatest thing to ever happen ever. EVER.

Originally posted by snuff
                              Yeah, good joke. Awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Creek View Post
                                If the Eagles get Brandon Graham, it would be the greatest thing to ever happen ever. EVER.
                                Edited for accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information