Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heckert: Chris Gocong will play DE and LB this season.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heckert: Chris Gocong will play DE and LB this season.

Eagles GM Tom Heckert was on the Jody Mac show today(3/16) and had a lot of interesting things to say about the Eagles. He talked about the Safety position, Jeremy Bloom and the kick return situation for next season, Free Agency, Salary Cap, the Draft, and most importantly Chris Gocong.
    The interview started off with Heckert saying that they feel good about the DE position as stands right now. He said they have a solid 4 guys at that position and that Chris Gocong could play there next season, I will get to Gocong at the end of this.

They also feel good about the Safety situation. They feel if they needed to , they could start Mikell if Consindine or Dawkins was to get injured. I hope they don't feel strong enough not to take a S with their first round pick.

He talked about the kick return situation for the Eagles and said, Jeremy Bloom and Bethel Johnson will be returning kicks next season, and if they had to, they would put Kevin Curtis back there cause he has experience returning kicks.

He went on to talk about the salary cap and free agency. He said they feel good about how they've done so far, but that they are still actively looking at free agents. When asked about cap space, Heckert said they would be able to move bonuses around to free up cap room if they had to, and that they would do that if a player comes along that they would like to make a deal with.

As for the draft Heckert said Compensatory drafts picks will be announced at next weeks NFL team meetings, and they are not expecting any picks for this season. Free agents signed this off-season will count in next years picks. As for the draft class, he said he felt that DE's, S's, and CB's were the strongest positions in the draft this year. That says a lot about which direction they are headed.

As for Chris Gocong. They are feeling very confident in him right now. He said he feels Gocong will play both the LB and DE position throughout the season. They feel he will be a strong LB this season, but if not he will play DE. He went on to say Gocong is up to 265, and has been working really hard since week 8 of last season. He's been hitting the weight room a lot and is prepared for this season.

So, I'm still not completely sold on Gocong, but I'm feeling a little more optimistic.

Any thoughts on what Heckert talked about?

Good post. Thanks for the recap. I have suggested before that Gocong probably isn't cut out to be a full time SAM LB. He is a good attacker of the ball, and he has speed and pass rush moves. Why not take advantage and have him rush the passer and give him more snaps? I think it is a very smart move for the Eagles. Gocong is a tweener, so using him in special packages to utilize his strengths is the best way to go.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I have been trying to convince you guys that Gocong will be a success at SAM, I know this doesn't prove it, but it does support what I have been trying to tell you.
      Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

i dont think we need a DE but i guess me may use him for depth purpses

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88

Comment

Ww would use him in passing situations as a DE, with our usual LB corp, except another LB would take away the vacant position and be the Nickel LB.

Comment

I would imagine that right now, our DE/LB rotation on a nickel package would be:

Cole, Howard, Patterson, Gocong

Gaither, McCoy

Lots of speed...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

And a lot of very good possibilities for our DBs.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                I have been trying to convince you guys that Gocong will be a success at SAM, I know this doesn't prove it, but it does support what I have been trying to tell you.
                No it doesn't, you said that he would be full-time SAM, I said I thought he was better off playing at DE, but that they would probably play him at joker.

Comment

It doesn't really matter. I was talking about how most of you guys wanted to say that he would not be able to play SAM at all.

Comment

Heckert specifically said in Nickel packages he could be used as LB. With ability to rush the QB or drop back into coverage on a blitz.

Comment

I think you mean DE, not LB.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                        I think you mean DE, not LB.
                        You are correct...I did mean DE.

Comment

Good, I was confused for a little bit.

Comment

A situational SLB who primarily rushes the passer is the same as a situational DE who primarily rushes the passer. It just means Gocong will play in the 3-point stance, or he'll be standing. He's a pass rusher, and that's what he should be used as. Whether he's full time or not depends on how good he is. The question regarding Gocong is still the same: can he drop back in coverage?

Comment

Let's hope he can, because I don't want Dhani in there for another year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information