This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thumper View Post
    Another thing I like is how alot of people are contacting the Eagles. Free Agents want to be an Eagle because the Eagles are young and coming off a NFC Championship game. Teams contact the Eagles because the Eagles ahve enough ammo to complete a three team deal or enough ammo to get a star player. I love it.
    The Eagles are not exactly young...Well, actually, maybe younger than I initially thought when I read that. Getting rid of Tra Thomas, Brian Dawkins, Jon Runyan etc... sure brings down the average age. My question is this. If players want to be Eagles, why isn't the F.O doing anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
      The Eagles are not exactly young...Well, actually, maybe younger than I initially thought when I read that. Getting rid of Tra Thomas, Brian Dawkins, Jon Runyan etc... sure brings down the average age. My question is this. If players want to be Eagles, why isn't the F.O doing anything?
      Because they're cheap (business savvy). They've had 2 marquee players outright say they would love to play for the Eagles (Weaver, Housh). The FO wants to even younger and getting players like Housh might make them better in the short run but not in the long run so the Eagles don't consider players like him. Weaver wanted RB as a FB so the Eagles just denied him. Players know the Eagles atmosphere, it is a tight knit locker room and the coaching is steady and the team is young and successful. Philly is a desirable team to be on right now with good young talent at most spots.

EDIT: I really like what I'm hearing from Jack Ikegwuonu and I am excited to see him play because he was a very good corner in college and the #4 CB job is his to win. (Watch the newest Eagles report on the Eagles homepage).
      Last edited by Thumper; 03-17-2009, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• With the cap space and amount of picks, with lots of value in them, they have been in position this off-season to do whatever they choose. Now that the Free Agent market doesn't have any of the first tier guys left, it puts the Eagles in position to sign whoever they would want. Of course they won't be signing everyone, but I'd say Leonard Weaver isn't out of the realm of possibilities...

Team know come draft day the Eagles are going to be busy. Teams looking to trade down will contact the Eagles before almost any other team in the draft, because of the extra ammo we have, and relatively small amount of needs.
        Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
          Eagles starters 4 or less years into their career...
          DeSean
          Celek
          MJG (LG-potentially)
          Jackson and N. Cole are both 4 or less, whoever wins there...
          Shawn
          T. Cole
          Patterson
          Bunk
          Abiamiri (potentially)
          Gocong
          Bradley
          Gaither/Jordan

Thats 12 out of 22 starting spots inhabited by young, talented players, and there are more spots with guys 4 or 5 years into their career.
          Herremans
          Mikell
          Jones
          Brown
          Samuel

That makes 15 out of 22 starters relatively young. If Demps wins FS, our team is even younger. Our only "old" starters are...
          McNabb
          Westy
          Curtis

Our defense is especially young, and talented as well. I'd expect another top 5ish defense every season for at least the next 3-5 years...
          Last edited by eaglesalltheway; 03-17-2009, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• Eagles sign Leonard Weaver
            http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4000682
            Definitely a good move, he could be very good in our offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
              Eagles sign Leonard Weaver
              Excellent. It didn't look like he'd sign here...

Comment

• Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                Eagles sign Leonard Weaver
                Hell yes! Bye Dan Klecko (as a FB) and Kyle Eckel! We've got a real FB now. BTW I think that Weaver will be taking the short yardage carries so... no RB early IMO. Maybe Andre Brown in the third.

Comment

• Hell yes! Bye Dan Klecko (as a FB) and Kyle Eckel! We've got a real FB now. BTW I think that Weaver will be taking the short yardage carries so... no RB early IMO. Maybe Andre Brown in the third.
                  Get out of here no RB early.

Even though Westbrook started he carrier late, the Eagles forced him to catch up to his age by just giving him the ball(who wouldn't).

After loosing Buck, there definitely needs to be another back to take the load off, and spell him. And then eventually replace him.

Sure you don't need a short yardage back, but who is going to be in front of Weaver, blocking for him?

This just helps add a fullback, you still pick the best RB available.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                    Get out of here no RB early.

Even though Westbrook started he carrier late, the Eagles forced him to catch up to his age by just giving him the ball(who wouldn't).

After loosing Buck, there definitely needs to be another back to take the load off, and spell him. And then eventually replace him.

Sure you don't need a short yardage back, but who is going to be in front of Weaver, blocking for him?

This just helps add a fullback, you still pick the best RB available.
                    I know but knowing Andy Reid he will probably do that. Weaver was looking for more carries and that is why he chose Philly and I could see him used similarly to Le'ron McClain (probably alot less though).

Plus you act like taking a RB in the third is such a travesty. The talent at the top is not that great and there is tons of talent that should be there in the third. There will be Rashad Jennings, Andre Brown, Jeremiah Johnson, Javon Ringer, Cedric Peerman and Shonn Greene available most likely so...

Then you could take a situational guy later on like Glen Coffee, Arian Foster and Kory Sheets as a third down back due to their size in the short yardage game, ability to catch the ball and their ability to pass block. Or Antone Smith, Devin Moore and Ian Johnson as a change of pace smaller back. Then there are the big backs like Javarris Williams, Gartrell Johnson and Herb Donaldson.

Comment

• I don't think a situational back is needed, Eagles have those in Weaver and Booker.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                        I don't think a situational back is needed, Eagles have those in Weaver and Booker.
                        what I'm saying is maybe get Andre Brown or Rashad Jennings in the third and then take a situational guy like Antone Smith.

Comment

• Neither Weaver or Booker will be able to replace Westbrook in a couple years. Moreno, McCoy, or Brown would be able to.

Comment

• Yes and what happens if Westbrook goes down? Who is going to fill in for him? We need a legit RB who will be able to step in for Westbrook when he gets injured which seems to be inevitable. Buckhalter was that kind of guy, but he's gone and I'm not too high on Booker. Getting any one of those guys mentioned by GE77 in the post above would be a great. Then we would have a legit backup which is even more important when your starter is as injury prone as Westbrook is. They would also be able to step in and take some of the load off of Westbrook's shoulders to help him avoid injuries and then eventually be groomed into his replacement in a few years. I mean he is 29 years old now and most runningbacks tend to slow down around the age of 30.

Comment

• These two previous posts are why I still think RB will be addressed early. (First two rounds) I'm just glad we got the FB situation taken care of. Wasn't a signing either of us were expecting, though I new it was still possible. This will really help the offense a lot in so many ways. It will help our short yardage situation, whether he is carrying it or as a lead blocker. It will help improve the diverstiy of our passing offense as well. He is a good pass catcher and gives us another weapon out of the backfield, though he is completely different thatn Westy. He also will provide another solid pass protector if need be. I really like this signing, and is an underrated one so far. To be honest, I like this one just as much or more than Stacey Andrews' signing. This does eliminate FB as a need, however RB is still a major need for the team...

Comment

• Hey Sniper, I know your a big Eric Church fan (as am I) and I figured I'd let you know I was at his concert last night. Only reason I'm putting it here is just in case you wouldn't catch it anywhere else. He had a woman, Ashley Rae, and another band, Jonathan Singleton and the Grove, open for him. Both are very good and I wouldn't be surprised to hear either on the radio eventually.

But Eric Church really put on a show. It was the first real concert I went to and man was it great. I could tell he really loves what he's doing (all of the people who performed actually) and our crowd was really into it, and it just brought his energy up even more. Hopefully if you don't catch what I put in the country music thread you'll see this, because I'm going to talk more about it over there...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information