Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If nothing else, TE and WILL weakness can be masked by scheme, provided the players are at least league average at the basics. The basics would be blocking and catching the open routes for TE and tackling and gap control at WILL.

I think Mikell will be the starter at one safety spot, but Jones and Demps will have their own matchup packages. JJ will play to strengths while he and McDermitt develop Demps.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
      TE I would consider somewhat weak. Celek is pretty average and although I really like Cornelius Ingram, who knows how he will turn out. Celek had a great game for us in the NFC championship, but he isn't a consistent threat from week to week. We could be much worse off at TE, but we could also use a better player at the position. I'm hoping Ingram can be that guy, I'm a big fan of his.
      I agree. Celek showed something against Arizona but I'd like him to get open more consistently and block better. While I think he's improved tremendously since arriving in Philly, he still has a long way to go. I also love Ingram's potential, but to expect anything huge out of a 5th round pick coming off of an ACL tear is a bit much. I'll be ecstatic if Ingram catches 15 passes this year. He's got room to grow, though, and down the line could be an excellent pass-catching TE.

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
        If nothing else, TE and WILL weakness can be masked by scheme, provided the players are at least league average at the basics. The basics would be blocking and catching the open routes for TE and tackling and gap control at WILL.
        Well, depending on the progress of Jeremy Maclin, we could see a lot more four and five wide sets, which in essence would diminish the TE's role in the offense. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer going four wide with Maclin, Jackson, Curtis and Avant with Westbrook/McCoy in the backfield compared to say, twin TEs and two RBs. I just feel like the offense can be more explosive and there is more skill at WR (what the ****? on this team?) than at TE.

Comment

• I'm sure theres a lot of Penn State fans in here. What do you guys think of Maurice Evans?

I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, but I have high hopes for him. He's been impressive thus far, and with NFL conditioning and a year with our dline coach, I think we might be able to squeeze some talent out of him.

From what Ive read he was supposed to be a beast, but fell off the face of the earth this year. What do you guys think of him? You definitely seen more of him then I have.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            I'm sure theres a lot of Penn State fans in here. What do you guys think of Maurice Evans?

I know I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing, but I have high hopes for him. He's been impressive thus far, and with NFL conditioning and a year with our dline coach, I think we might be able to squeeze some talent out of him.

From what Ive read he was supposed to be a beast, but fell off the face of the earth this year. What do you guys think of him? You definitely seen more of him then I have.
            I'm far from a PSU fan, but I've seen Evans play quite a bit. The physical talent is there, but the mental talent might not be. He doesn't have great measurables, but he knows how to get to the QB. He can hold up against the run and with your DL coach, he could eventually blossom into a 5-6 sack type of guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
              I'm far from a PSU fan, but I've seen Evans play quite a bit. The physical talent is there, but the mental talent might not be. He doesn't have great measurables, but he knows how to get to the QB. He can hold up against the run and with your DL coach, he could eventually blossom into a 5-6 sack type of guy.
              i'll take that for a 5th string DE.

im not asking for much. just another able body just in case. he's fighting Tollefson for that spot.

Comment

• http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...th_Eagles.html

Troy Vincent advised Sheldon Brown to stop fighting his battle in the media. Smart guy, that Troy.

Comment

Well, depending on the progress of Jeremy Maclin, we could see a lot more four and five wide sets, which in essence would diminish the TE's role in the offense. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer going four wide with Maclin, Jackson, Curtis and Avant with Westbrook/McCoy in the backfield compared to say, twin TEs and two RBs. I just feel like the offense can be more explosive and there is more skill at WR (what the ****? on this team?) than at TE.
                  Thinking of that spread offense. That would be amazing two years in a row, rookie wide outs making an impact on the Eagles. Then again the last rookie wide receiver that had a good rookie season, now everyone wants him off the team.

Also one thing that I hope is improved is red zone scoring. I don't think 4 WR sets would ideal inside the like 10. Hopefully Hank Baskett becomes a better redzone target, and the now extra big line, gets a push in the run game. This is were Weaver will be crucial, in blocking and short yardage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eaglez.Fan View Post
                    I think Demps could actually play very well this year. He'll be starting on a top 5 defense in the league with no glaring holes. Therefore, he won't have to cater to one side or the other he can just make plays without worrying about a lapse in coverage or someone screwing up, since he is the safety net of the defense. I also could see him playing a lot in center field, with Mikell in the box, and especially in a 3 safety set with Jones in there as well.

As for Mikell, if your defensive coordinator says he was the MVP of the defense, and this defense was 3rd in the league, I think that says something about what he's been doing on the field.
                    I agree totally on Demps, its just we don't know for sure what we have in him, so I figured it wouldn't be fair to evaluate him before he even has a chance. I do feel he will be a very great player, as I said towards the end of that post.
                    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
                      I know you've got an Abiamiri boner, but it's pretty early to say he's an above average starter considering he hasn't been the starter for us yet. I like him a lot though and he has potential. I'd say LE for us last season was pretty average. Parker does well but wears down as the season progresses. We've got a lot of bodies at the position, but no one who has established themselves as being a good starter.

That being said I don't really consider LE a weakness because I think Abiamiri will be fine, but if he doesn't develop as expected or gets injured again, that will definitely be one of the weaker spots on our defense.

As for safety, Demps will have growing pains and make his share of mistakes since it's his first year as a starter, but that's to be expected. He has found himself in a similar situation to the one Dawan Landry was in a few seasons ago with the Ravens. He came in to a very good secondary so that made his job easier. Granted Mikell isn't quite Ed Reed, but our CB's are better than theirs were at the time.

TE I would consider somewhat weak. Celek is pretty average and although I really like Cornelius Ingram, who knows how he will turn out. Celek had a great game for us in the NFC championship, but he isn't a consistent threat from week to week. We could be much worse off at TE, but we could also use a better player at the position. I'm hoping Ingram can be that guy, I'm a big fan of his.

WLB I'd also consider a weakness because Akeem Jordan isn't much of a playmaker. He did make some nice plays behind the line of scrimmage, but the WLB position in our defense calls for a guy who can get sacks, interceptions, and pass deflections. Now if Gaither could become more consistent we would have something. He would have some monster games followed by some very quiet ones. However, I see Akeem Jordan holding on to the starting spot, so we'll see how he does this season.

So while they aren't glaring weaknesses, there is certainly a lot of room for improvement at TE and WLB. But this is probably the strongest the Eagles have looked on paper in a very long time.
                      My love for Abiamiri has surpassed boner status... But truthfully, I didn't even take into account him being the sole starter. I put my Abiamiri crush away while looking at this, and I fully believe that the LE position is above average for the NFL. Since we use so much rotation at our DEs, its hard to peg a guy as a starter, and when you include what Parker, Abiamiri, and Clemons can do and have done, I'd say that the LE position is slightly above average.

As I've said, I really like Demps (approaching boner status, lol) and I think he will be a very good player, but he hasn't had the opportunity yet, and since we don't rotate our safeties like we do our DEs, he will be the FS for most of the plays when he is healthy, so it really isn't fair to evaluate that position just yet, though I think the future is bright.

When you compare TE to the rest of the team, it is weak, on paper. But Celek is someone I've liked for a while and I think he is better than what LJ Smith could've done for us. Celek isn't flashy, but he is a grinder with the ball in his hands, and really is tough to bring down. I've seen enough of him to get a good base of how I think he will do, and I think this season, as long as he is healthy, he will be a middle of the pack NFL TE, if not a little higher.

WLB is also weak compared to the rest of the team, but considering what we have there, weak is a relative term for this team (same goes with TE). We don't have any huge playmakers at LB, but when you look at the design of this defense and its scheme, it is meant for the playmakers to come from the secondary and the DL. The LBs are there to make sure the opposing offense doesn't make plays and has done a damn good job of that so far. If we had a playmaker in the LB corp (I think all three LBs could develop into a playmaker) it would only make the defense even scarier. Think about it, we had a top 3 defense last year with basically the same guys, there aren't any glaring weknesses on this defense. I agree we could improve WLB, but if we went into next season with the same two guys in Jordan and Gaither, I wouldn't be worried about it at all. Jordan has a ton of potential, and really began impressing me in the playoffs with some plays.

Comment

• Remember when we could have had...

and we took...

This makes me a ...

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                          If nothing else, TE and WILL weakness can be masked by scheme, provided the players are at least league average at the basics. The basics would be blocking and catching the open routes for TE and tackling and gap control at WILL.

I think Mikell will be the starter at one safety spot, but Jones and Demps will have their own matchup packages. JJ will play to strengths while he and McDermitt develop Demps.
                          We really should consider ourselves lucky when our two weakest positions have young players who could develop into above average starters at their respective positions.

TE weaknesses (relative term) may not paly a huge role with all the other receiving threats this offense has. We have 4 or 5 legitimate WR threats, as well as three receiving threats from the backfield. Those backfield threats can fill in, somewhat, for whatever TE deficiencies there may be. And with some of the WRs we have, they too can help fill in for wahtever may be lackinf from the TE position, as a receiver. That being said. Having Celek in there full time, I don't think we will have to mask much, except for blocking, for the TE position.

As for WLB, weakness is once again a relative term. Akeem Jordan began showing some real potential towards the end of the season and playoffs, and with him battling for a spot with Gaither, it will only improve his game. I believe with added experience all along our LB corp, it may help bring out a playmaker that we could use from those positions, but when you consider all the playmakers we have at other spots, it isn't a necessity to have a playmakking LB. Another thing for some of you to keep in mind, when I was a TC, the defensive coaches were hammering into all the players about basics and technique, not necessarily playmaking, as looking for the big play may lead to lapses in technique and leave you vulnerable to a big play. I'd rather have very few big plays from our LBs, and very few big plays from opposing offenses as a result, than having frequent big plays from our LBs, and frequent big plays from opposing offenses.

I expected there to be more of a competition for Jones and Demps, but it seems that Demps has taken the lead early, and the coaches really like what they see from Demps. This is even more promising, and is another thing that leads me to belive Demps will be a very good player for us.

Comment

I agree. Celek showed something against Arizona but I'd like him to get open more consistently and block better. While I think he's improved tremendously since arriving in Philly, he still has a long way to go. I also love Ingram's potential, but to expect anything huge out of a 5th round pick coming off of an ACL tear is a bit much. I'll be ecstatic if Ingram catches 15 passes this year. He's got room to grow, though, and down the line could be an excellent pass-catching TE.
                            Celek showed a lot the whole playoffs, and had a few big games in the regular season. If you look back, his big games in the regular season was once the coaching staff named him the starter in those weaks, where he had more time to practice and get more reps in, as well as preparing a little different, possibly. But when LJ was deemed healthy, he got the starts by default, and those game were when Celek had less impact because he had less opportunities on the field. One of the many things I like about him is that both McNabb and Kolb trust him. In the preseason games, Celek is Kolb's favorite target by a long shot. Once given the opportunity, McNabb gave Celek many opportunities to make plays, and in most of them, he delivered. He played big in the playoffs, not just the Championship game, and you can't take that away from him.

Ingram has really impressed a lot of the coaches so far, from whats been reported, He seems healthy and the coaches are very impressed with hsi hands. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has at least 20 catches this season, however, with all the other weapons we have, it will be tough. But he seems healthy, and the coaches have loved almost everything about him so far.

Oh one more thing abot the TE postion... Didn't I say the team would bring in a UDFA TE who is more of a blocker to compete with Schoebel...?

Comment

LOL, its so nice to finally say that...

With all the weapons we have, we can have dangerous plays in any formation the team runs. With both Wesy and Shady being versatile threat, you can still have dynamic option even in those 2 TE and 2 RB sets, not to mention having Jackson out wide. Just wait till you get a dose of Leonard Weaver, he is even a versatile option in the backfield. With the personell this offense has, along with all the different skill sets, every single play is a chance for a TD...

Also, I am now in full boner status over Leonard Weaver. I have never had so much enthusiasm so early in the process, and with good reason.

Comment

Remember when we could have had...

and we took...

This makes me a ...

He wouldn't have been a beast as a 4-3 end.
                                Last edited by brat316; 05-12-2009, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information