Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time poster, long-time lurker, even longer time Eagles fan.

One interesting thing regarding the OL next year will be the fate of Max Jean-Gilles, who was also inactive every game this season. With Herremans and Andrews playing well at guard, would they just promote him to top backup and get rid of Scott Young or what?

Comment

• Welcome to the board. Can always use more Bird fans!

Jean Gilles will definitely be on the roster next season. He is a second day pick on his rookie contract. He takes up less than .25% of the Eagles cap space.

In 2006, he came into camp a bit out of shape, but I think he learned a lot about what it takes to be in the NFL, and he will work all offseason to be in better condition. MJG needs to get stronger and faster and work on his technique before he can play for this team. Luckily for us, we have Andrews and Heremens, so there is no rush. I would not be surprised if Young and MJG both are on the roster next season as primary backups. I have no problem with 2 backup guards on this roster.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by Dillen
        Originally posted by THIZZorDIE
        So why take him? There were picks to be made at, what was it, 50th overall?
        Yeah dude, what a stupid idea to take a top 10 prospect in the early 2nd round, especially when both of your OTs are on the wrong side of 30 and one has serious injury concerns.
        Exactly. The Eagles have 2 OT's who were over 32 when the year began, so why take the consensus #2 overall OT at #34 overall, when he was projected to be taken by the team 21 picks earlier? What were the Eagles thinking when they got insane value for a great player?

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Especially given William Thomas's back issues in the past. He's under contract for one more year, right?

Comment

• WT is under contract for another season. I assume it will be his last as an Eagle because they have to see if Justice can play and he is also getting older. I think WT had a pretty good year this season, but he is not as good as he once was. I can easily see the Eagles drafting more OLinement in this draft. Maybe as early as the third round for another OT.

Comment

• i guess it depends on what they think they'll do when Runyan retires. They may not want to move Andrews, so maybe they would move Herremans to RT and put Jean-Gilles at LG. Then you might want to draft a project guy (like Herremans) this year; the team has enough needs that it could use that third-round pick elsewhere. and if they re-sign Stallworth, which they should, they lose the third-round pick anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by eagleseye
                Especially given William Thomas's back issues in the past. He's under contract for one more year, right?
                He's a free agent after the 2008 season.

I'd definitely explore the option of another OL this year. Joe Staley, Levi Brown, Justin Blalock. I'm definitely not comfortable projecting MJG to be a starter.

Justice - Blalock - Jackson - Andrews - Herremans
                Justice - Herremans - Jackson - Andrews - Staley
                Justice - Herremans - Jackson - Andrews - Brown

All are way better options than having MJG in the lineup. However, if the Eagles re-sign Stallworth they shouldn't spend one pick on offense.

Thanks to jkpigskin

Comment

• I know this isn't Reid's style, but I like the idea of using MGJ in a "heavy" OLine formation as an extra guard and sliding Runyan and Andrews outside. Imagine Jackson + MJG + Andrews + Runyan teeing off on a short yardage play... Lots of bulk, to be sure!

I think MJG was a great pick for the Eagles because he wasn't NFL ready at the time. He will take a lot of work and coaching to be a passable NFL player. Still, I think he's better than other Eagles OG pickups (Brezneski, Hicks, Young) when they were picked up by the team their rookie years.

Comment

• get someone to cover plaxico buress, if the giants threw to him more we would be dead. Some corner whos is 6-3,6-4 and has decent speed

Comment

• well, if william james could stay healthy, he's taller than lito and sheldon. i agree we could probably draft a taller corner, though how many are 6-3 or 6-4? any? they usually convert them in plaxicos...

Comment

• good point, sergio gillam is 6-3, thre are a couple 6-2 corners in the draft, but one possiblility is arron rouse a saftey from va tech, but he might not be athletic engough

Comment

• I don't think many CB's at 6'2" or 6'3" would have the agility and speed to cover Plaxico down the field. He is tall and strong and fast, which is what makes him such a valuable weapon, especially for Manning. He also pushes off every freakin' chance he gets. I am absolutely not in favor of drafting a tall CB just to cover Plaxico. That would be a waste as far as I'm concerned. You draft the best player available, put the best team together you can, then game plan for the mismatch. Why spend a lot of money just to stop 1 player twice a season? The Eagles seem to cover TO just fine, and he's only a little taller than Plax...

Silly suggestion IMO.

Comment

• I was thinking about it, and I can't quite figure out why you guys have a hard time with the run personnell wise.

Trotter is a hammer in the middle, I like your DT rotation, I like Cole at DE, your safeties are great at run support...is it the OLB's fault?

I know that Philly has never been dominant against the run, and thats partly due to Jimmy's 46 scheme, its vulnerable to the run, but I never saw you guys play it very badly up until spurts this year. So while the system doesn't make for dominant run defense, I would think that some player personnell must be the cause of the poor play recently.

Whos to blame? You guys know better than I do, Im really curious. Id like to point to the OLBs, but I don't know if thats correct, they didn't look too bad when I saw them play. Is it someone on the line thats at fault?

While I feel that Landry is the perfect player to replace Dawkins, and Griffin would be a great Lewis replacement, I think the major need this offseason is to bolster the run defense. Now how that is executed is a ? to me, because I don't know the true culprit of the problem. Can anyone help me out here? Im curious to know because I honestly don't know why.

Comment

• I think it's the overpursuit and over aggressiveness of our LB's, plus the inabilty of the DE's to clog up lanes. The Eagles D has always been susceptible to cutback runs and zone blocking. However, this season, the DE's could not keep the OLB's "clean". This, coupled with the tendency for Jones/McCoy/Gaither to aggressively chase down outside run lanes and overpursue, led to big gashing runs. Because teams knew that the OLB's would overpursue, they used blocking schemes for a G or C to pick up Trotter ASAP, then let the RB find the seam that the OLB's created themselves. It has been a matter of discipline and containment. The team did not play well and contain the inside seams, so they'd get gashed.

Comment

• I honestly believe that the LB's coach needs to be canned. I think the secondary played admirably this season, but I didn't see a lot from the LB's. They did not play with discipline, did not shed blocks, and did not create pressure when they were asked to. Poor overall performance. Some of it is about the lack of talent at OLB, but most of it is about the coaching and technique.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information