This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bsaza2358
    I think it's the overpursuit and over aggressiveness of our LB's, plus the inabilty of the DE's to clog up lanes. The Eagles D has always been susceptible to cutback runs and zone blocking. However, this season, the DE's could not keep the OLB's "clean". This, coupled with the tendency for Jones/McCoy/Gaither to aggressively chase down outside run lanes and overpursue, led to big gashing runs. Because teams knew that the OLB's would overpursue, they used blocking schemes for a G or C to pick up Trotter ASAP, then let the RB find the seam that the OLB's created themselves. It has been a matter of discipline and containment. The team did not play well and contain the inside seams, so they'd get gashed.
    So its a mental thing? That means its very correctable through training camp with the current players, or perhaps more instinctual LBs are needed in the OLB position? If thats the case, and while this may not be a popular choice, Poz might be your guy. He is very instinctual, and covers the TE very well. He'd make a good SAM in the 46. I know he doesn't have ideal speed, but thats overrated. Look at DeMeco. And if Trotter gets hurt or is cut any time because of age, I can see Poz filling in to replace him at MIKE.

What do you think? Or is Patrick Willis a better candidate?

Comment

• A lot of times, Trotter tends to guess where a run is going to go and tries to blow it up instead of sitting back and flowing to the ball. Other times, the defensive lineman can't hold the point of attack, so you see the OL getting to the "second level" and blocking the linebackers. a number of replays during saturday's game showed a lineman blocking trotter.

one difference from the past is that we don't have hollis thomas anymore. he was the one tackle (or D lineman in general) who was known for his run-stopping ability. i think the Eagles need to draft a tackle who's more of a "clogger," so to speak, at least to be able to play on running downs. i don't know if bunkley can be that guy--i thought he was more of the one-gap DT that Jim Johnson likes.

Comment

• Originally posted by eagleseye
        A lot of times, Trotter tends to guess where a run is going to go and tries to blow it up instead of sitting back and flowing to the ball. Other times, the defensive lineman can't hold the point of attack, so you see the OL getting to the "second level" and blocking the linebackers. a number of replays during saturday's game showed a lineman blocking trotter.

one difference from the past is that we don't have hollis thomas anymore. he was the one tackle (or D lineman in general) who was known for his run-stopping ability. i think the Eagles need to draft a tackle who's more of a "clogger," so to speak, at least to be able to play on running downs. i don't know if bunkley can be that guy--i thought he was more of the one-gap DT that Jim Johnson likes.
        We drafted Broderick Bunkley, a 6'4", 300+ lb dude, to be that guy for us. His training camp holdout and lack of development over the course of the season hurt the team in that area. I think he's expected to come out strong next season and be that force for the team.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• I like Poz a ton, as I'm a PSU fan. However, I don't think his read/react skills fit in well with the Eagles for a first round pick. I think he is not the huge, fast, aggressive type player they would want in their LB's. He would be a much better fit in a different scheme. I think Willis or Davis or Blades are the kind of downhill players the Eagles would need. The Eagles covet the speed and aggressiveness, but the team needs to have its LB's hold their lanes. That's the key to the scheme. When they did this, they had greater success against the run.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Eagleseye, a good point about Trotter, though. His aggressiveness and immediate recognition of running lanes is a huge weapon for the team. However, everyone knows that this leads to huge cutback lanes and screen opportunities for the RB's. The Saints did this a lot and basically prevented Trotter from making a huge impact. I really don't recall hearing his name much in that game.

Comment

• What was worse was that you didn't hear Dawkins name at all. Apparently, he was ill, but considering how much of a presence he was in the back half of the season, it's surprising.

Comment

• I think Dawk was doing a lot of coverage against the deep routes and such. You'll notice that the Eagles mostly took away the deep ball from NO, forcing them to go over the middle and into the flats. Of course, the front 7 didn't clog enough to stop the run game, which became our undoing. Unfortunate.

Comment

• another thing trotter didn't do well (or LBs in general) was covering the TEs. i think their backup led the team in receptions and yards for the game. ugh.

Comment

• Well, when you try to take away the flats to Reggie Bush and the deep option, the middle of the field is going to be open. The Eagles got beat down the seams, often in zone coverage. While that is sometimes a function of depth of the LB's drops into coverage, the front 4 didn't get a ton of pressure, which allowed Brees to make those throws.

Comment

• I wouldnt be surprised at all if you guys go for a DE. With Kearse off the field more often than on it, and with Reid's love for linemen, I can definately see perhaps either Abriamiri, Woodley, or Spencer in an Eagles uniform next year. I think Abriamiri fits your scheme better than the other 2.

Comment

• McDougle will be gone, and Juqua Thomas should probably go somewhere and make more $, so I would imagine drafting at least one more DE is in order, especially if they think Gacong can actually start at LB (who knows?).

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                          I wouldnt be surprised at all if you guys go for a DE. With Kearse off the field more often than on it, and with Reid's love for linemen, I can definately see perhaps either Abriamiri, Woodley, or Spencer in an Eagles uniform next year. I think Abriamiri fits your scheme better than the other 2.
                          I think DE goes in the second round, but there are more pressing needs at OLB, a future replacement for Trotter, and at S (replacing Dawk in the future).

Comment

• The team seems to think Gaither can be Trotter's replacement. If that's so, then OLB becomes even more of a need, especially with Shawn Barber possibly being gone.

Comment

• I think Gaither would be a worthy replacement, but he played excellently as the starting WILL this past season. I would almost prefer he stays outside and plays with more discipline.

Comment

• i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't next year since trotter would conceivably still be around. after that, who knows?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information