Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philadelphia Eagles Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that Andy Reid will have to fire defensive coordinator Juan Castillo in order to stay on as Eagles head coach.

    The rumor in Philly is that Steve Spagnuolo will replace Castillo, allowing Reid to hang on for at least one more season. Many Eagles fans want Reid gone, but it would be in the organization's best interests to keep most of the offensive staff because of the monetary commitment to Michael Vick. Castillo has been an utter flop in his transition from O-Line coach to D-Coordinator. He has not showed an ability to maximize his personnel, often playing "man" corners like Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in zone coverage.

    Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports Dec 4 - 11:08 AM
    Ive mentioned ideas of getting a new coach, but that has always just been due to wanting a better defense. I have never had a problem with our offense and think that Reid and Marty can stay as long as they want.

    However, a guy like Spags coming in to coach the defense would make my my dreams come true. What do you guys think?



    Originally posted by 49erNation85
    I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

    Comment


    • I'm all on board for Spags. Sadly, I think this mean an end to the impact that Jason Babin is having because I'm not so sure he can hold up without the wide-9.

      I was kind of hoping for a defensive coordinator that would bring along a 34, but that would be a change that would take years to develop and we're not quite on a 5 year plan.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
        I'm all on board for Spags. Sadly, I think this mean an end to the impact that Jason Babin is having because I'm not so sure he can hold up without the wide-9.

        I was kind of hoping for a defensive coordinator that would bring along a 34, but that would be a change that would take years to develop and we're not quite on a 5 year plan.
        Yeah, the 3-4 would be a little too much of a project. We dont have the type of guys for a 3-4 defensive line. I dont doubt that Babin and Cole and even Graham would be able to play the OLB position but the linebackers suck as well

        Babin will be fine as long as Washburn is there, he has always seemed to get the best of him.



        Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by SickwithIt1010
          I sure hope we do. If we win, and the Giants lose...gonna make for a very entertaining week 17.
          I have a feeling the Giants lose this week (going out on a limb, I know). Something tells me the Jets are going to be more pissed off, and, well, the Giants are going to be the Giants.
          Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

          Rest in Peace, themaninblack

          Comment


          • Also, I'm facebook friends with Jason Kelce, be jealous...
            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

            Rest in Peace, themaninblack

            Comment


            • Welp, so much for the playoffs...but sweeping the Cowboys (Romo or not) is definitely a high point for me..shame it took so long for us to get things together though

              Comment


              • No playoffs but with the way we have closed I have no doubt that Reid will be back. I think we fire Castillo and throw the bank at Spags to make sure he is the next DC in Philly.

                Make sure we draft an impact linebacker in the first, and address the D-Line and maybe a safety in the 2nd. We have a full off-season to work with this year, we gotta make it count. Get everyone on the same page and hit the ground running next year.



                Originally posted by 49erNation85
                I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                  No playoffs but with the way we have closed I have no doubt that Reid will be back. I think we fire Castillo and throw the bank at Spags to make sure he is the next DC in Philly.

                  Make sure we draft an impact linebacker in the first, and address the D-Line and maybe a safety in the 2nd. We have a full off-season to work with this year, we gotta make it count. Get everyone on the same page and hit the ground running next year.
                  Sadly, I don't see it happening. If Spags does get fired, maybe, just maybe, the Eagles bring in Spags as DC, but demote Castillo to defensive assistant or something along those lines. That'd be alright with me.

                  However, I wouldn't be surprised if no one gets axed. Castillo has been a roller-coaster ride, but so far we're 8th in total defense and 1st in sacks. Sure we could use our personal better, but that will come with more experience.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by superman8456 View Post
                    Sadly, I don't see it happening. If Spags does get fired, maybe, just maybe, the Eagles bring in Spags as DC, but demote Castillo to defensive assistant or something along those lines. That'd be alright with me.

                    However, I wouldn't be surprised if no one gets axed. Castillo has been a roller-coaster ride, but so far we're 8th in total defense and 1st in sacks. Sure we could use our personal better, but that will come with more experience.
                    Demote Castillo, no reason to get rid of him, he's a great motivator, and a really hard worker. We threw him into a position that he has little experience or experitse in. Demote him and let him focus on something smaller than running a full defense. Spags would be an ideal addition, but that might be a pipe dream at this point.

                    With where we are drafting it seems impossible to get him unless we trade up, but my man crush on Vontaze Burfict is growing. I want an aggressive downhill LB to lay the wood and he is an absolute beast.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
                      Demote Castillo, no reason to get rid of him, he's a great motivator, and a really hard worker. We threw him into a position that he has little experience or experitse in. Demote him and let him focus on something smaller than running a full defense. Spags would be an ideal addition, but that might be a pipe dream at this point.

                      With where we are drafting it seems impossible to get him unless we trade up, but my man crush on Vontaze Burfict is growing. I want an aggressive downhill LB to lay the wood and he is an absolute beast.
                      Im starting to get off the Burfict hype train, I would much rather have a guy like Kuechly who I know is going to be a tackle machine and isnt gonna be a walking 15 yard penalty.



                      Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                        Im starting to get off the Burfict hype train, I would much rather have a guy like Kuechly who I know is going to be a tackle machine and isnt gonna be a walking 15 yard penalty.
                        He does get out of control, but to be honest, his nasty on-field personality is one of the things I like that he would bring to the defense. Will he be able to totally put his over-aggression problems behind him in the NFL? Probably not, but it's not going to be an every other play kind of thing either. He'll learn to operate in the NFL system, whether it's cutting that sort of thing out, or just getting better at not getting caught. That can be worked on to some degree.

                        He isn't a total thug off the field who's behavior outside of football will get him suspended. That's a problem that is harder to remedy.

                        Kuechly is a good player in his own right, but he will never be the player Burfict has the potential to be given he doesn't totally blow it, which for reasons stated above, I don't think he will. Anyway, Kuechly wouldn't even be close to the same league as Burfict as an enforcer against the run in our defense. Burfict blows up holes, taking blockers with him as he finds his way to the ball carrier. Kuechly is instinctive and a rangy player, but I seriously doubt his ability to plug the middle if we continue to use our defensive line in a wide-9 formation. If that changes it is a whole different ball game, but if the philosophy for our defense doesn't undergo profound changes, especially on the defensive line, I think Burfict would be perfect in the middle.

                        Comment


                        • The Eagles need an intimation over the middle that will make players think twice about going in his direction.

                          Comment


                          • http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hes-available/

                            Take it for what it's worth, but I came all over myself just thinking about it.



                            Originally posted by 49erNation85
                            I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                              The Eagles need an intimation over the middle that will make players think twice about going in his direction.
                              You mean intimidation..?

                              Comment


                              • Trolls will be trolls.



                                Originally posted by 49erNation85
                                I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information