Official Eagles Draft Day Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
    I have a feeling one of the RBs (Hutn and Ilaoa) will end up at FB. Both have the size to do it, and both have good hands, but Hunt is the better blocker, so we may be looking at Hunt as our new FB, and Ilaoa as our big RB. I'm upset we didn't get Ben Patrick, he could have gone in the second or third round. We'll find out what happens with him. I think he will be one of the bigger steals out of this draft. I like the Gaddis pick, and the Barksdale pick makes sense. He has the capability to play Nickel for us in the future.
    Or we could be looking at the resurgence of the three headed monster rushing attack. That would be badass.

Comment

How about undrafted player in the S spot Leonard Peter from Hawaii, he is like Troy Polamalu, only 25 yrs old,

There had to be some reason Patrick did not get drafted early, something like Why did he go from a big school to one like Delaware

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
        If Spikes plays SAM then we will have him .

Heard Jim Johnson say today Spikes will play weak side!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
          How about undrafted player in the S spot Leonard Peter from Hawaii, he is like Troy Polamalu, only 25 yrs old,

There had to be some reason Patrick did not get drafted early, something like Why did he go from a big school to one like Delaware
          Not sure about why he didnt get drafted earlier, he showed he could play against top competition, but the reason he ended up at Delaware was he graduated, but had an extra year of eligibility left and decided to go to Delaware where they're known for their passing attack, so he would have a chance to be featured. And it served him well, he might not have gotten any attention had he just came straight out of Duke. Still don't know why he didnt get drafted earlier though...
          Last edited by Bigp5437; 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM. Reason: Wrong school name

Comment

He was is balanced too, and his coach, who a freind of mine knows, is a little confused over that as well. He will surprise people over his career if you ask me.
            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

I'm very disgusted with this draft. Personally i would have chosen Michael bush over Hunt. I dont even think its a guarantee that he'll make the team. We'll see in training camp. the Kolb pick was a disaster. Mcnabb's self esteem is already at an all time low so y make him suicidal with pressure. Qb of the future what?... does make sense if farve and trent green are playing forever. i expect mcnabb to be here for at least 4 more years. I was also disgusted, (as u can tell i want to choke) that we didnt pick ben Patrick if LJ isnt going to be around next year. I have beef with the eagles now..Actually i have beef with fat Andy, Stay away from the cheesesteaks

Comment

I would have rather gotten Chris Houston with our 1st pick and Troy Smith with our 2nd 5th rounder, then Patrick with our 6th rounder.

What looks better -

QB- Kevin Kolb
                CB- Rashad Barksdale
                TE- Brent Celek

or

QB- Troy Smith
                CB- Chris Houston
                TE- Ben Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                  I would have rather gotten Chris Houston with our 1st pick and Troy Smith with our 2nd 5th rounder, then Patrick with our 6th rounder.

What looks better -

QB- Kevin Kolb
                  CB- Rashad Barksdale
                  TE- Brent Celek

or

QB- Troy Smith
                  CB- Chris Houston
                  TE- Ben Patrick
                  Troy Smith would've been a good pick had Andy Reid been producing a documentary on dwarfs.

The way I look at it, us passing on Ben Patrick shows me that the Eagles are confident in re-signing L.J. Smith. All we need from Celek right now is for him to be a solid #3 option, and a potential #2 TE. Maybe he is more sure handed than Patrick? I don't know. None of us know much on Celek, unless someone here is a huge Cincinatti Bearcats fan.

Chris Houston would've been someone nice to groom into a nickel back and future starter role. But I would definitely take the combination of picks we received (Stewart Bradley and I believe C.J. Gaddis).

Regardless of what they did, it's finalized now. We're better off trying to find good in the picks rather than nitpicking at what they should've done. My main point of this reply though: Troy Smith sucks. Thank you and good night.

Comment

Troy Smith will have a better career than our draft pick. Can anybody explain y one incident makes a player "a Character concern". i see to many of these labels. But who doesnt make bad choices atleast once. Ask yourself that. I know i have but did i do it again no. Sports writers and coaches and scouts make to much out of it. Once again the bad makes more headlines then the good. Andy reids kids have character concerns, so i say big deal as long as its not a continuing history. Go eagles, id take troy, chris, and Ben anyday.

Comment

I'm also unhappy with the Kolb pick, but I'm not really concerned about McNabb's self esteem. McNabb has been a bit of a primadonna crybaby the last 2 seasons. He is now 31 years old and is coming off an ACL tear. He hasn't played a full season since 2003 (2004 counts, but he only played in all of 13 games). Regardless, he has had 2 significant surgeries in the last 2 years. His health and future are concerning. Say what you want about Kolb, but he has a very good arm with excellent short-medium range accuracy. It will take the team another 2 years to see what it has with Kolb. If he's a future star and starter, then the Eagles made a good move. If not, then it sucks.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Black Majic View Post
                        Troy Smith will have a better career than our draft pick. Can anybody explain y one incident makes a player "a Character concern". i see to many of these labels. But who doesnt make bad choices atleast once. Ask yourself that. I know i have but did i do it again no. Sports writers and coaches and scouts make to much out of it. Once again the bad makes more headlines then the good. Andy reids kids have character concerns, so i say big deal as long as its not a continuing history. Go eagles, id take troy, chris, and Ben anyday.
                        I don't agree with you about Troy Smith, but it's all a matter of opinion. As of right now, Kolb and Smith are both at 0 attempts, 0 completions, 0 INT's, and 0 TD's. Neither will start next season. Both are behind established players and need to adapt to the pro level. Troy Smith has better mobility, but I think Kolb is a better fit for the West Coast Offense. Kolb is also a legit 6'3", while Smith is a wee lass at under 6' tall. Our OLine is extremely tall, so it would be difficult for Smith to see over them to make throws. I also believe TS's accuracy from the pocket is below average. His decision making under pressure is also not thrilling. I'd rather have the player who made multiple reads in a spread offense than the guy who relied on athleticism in the Big 10 and couldn't make plays against top defenses.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                          I don't agree with you about Troy Smith, but it's all a matter of opinion. As of right now, Kolb and Smith are both at 0 attempts, 0 completions, 0 INT's, and 0 TD's. Neither will start next season. Both are behind established players and need to adapt to the pro level. Troy Smith has better mobility, but I think Kolb is a better fit for the West Coast Offense. Kolb is also a legit 6'3", while Smith is a wee lass at under 6' tall. Our OLine is extremely tall, so it would be difficult for Smith to see over them to make throws. I also believe TS's accuracy from the pocket is below average. His decision making under pressure is also not thrilling. I'd rather have the player who made multiple reads in a spread offense than the guy who relied on athleticism in the Big 10 and couldn't make plays against top defenses.
                          Finally someone who realizes that Troy Smith isn't as good as advertised. Thank you. Troy Smith will be the next Charlie Ward. Better yet, the next Joey Hamilton. How bout the next Brad Banks? Or the next Eric Crouch? Nah, I got it, the next Tee Martin. You catch my drift.

Everyone is hating on Kevin Kolb, and I can understand where we could've addressed another need. But there was an NFL Draft in 99 that had Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, and Cade McNown as the top QBs. Couch was off the board, and Andy Reid and the Eagles were on the clock. And who did we take? Donovan McNabb, who has clearly been the best of the 5. I would like to think he and the rest of the organization have a good knack for selecting very solid QBs. In this case, they chose Kolb over the likes of John Beck, Trent Edwards, Drew Stanton, and Troy Smith. Could it be a very similar situation? I don't know. But from Andy Reid's history, so far we're batting 1.000. Not too shabby.

Comment

Originally posted by machoking6 View Post
                            Finally someone who realizes that Troy Smith isn't as good as advertised. Thank you. Troy Smith will be the next Charlie Ward. Better yet, the next Joey Hamilton. How bout the next Brad Banks? Or the next Eric Crouch? Nah, I got it, the next Tee Martin. You catch my drift.

I never said Troy Smith was the greatest player ever, I implied that Troy Smith would have been much better value in the late 5th round than Kolb was in the early 2nd.

Comment

The Eagles have drafted 3 QB's since Reid took over. McNabb, Feeley, and Andy Hall. McNabb panned out marvelously, and Feeley won us some games, then was traded to Miami for a draft pick (Reggie Brown), then came back and is now the backup. For a 5th round pick, I would say he has been successful. Andy Hall never panned out, but as a 6th round compensatory selection, I'm not bothered. So, Reid and Heckert took 3 QB's over the last 8 drafts before this one. They had a 67% success rate. I'll take those odds on Kolb.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                                I never said Troy Smith was the greatest player ever, I implied that Troy Smith would have been much better value in the late 5th round than Kolb was in the early 2nd.
                                That is a very fair point to make. I still believe that Troy Smith will not amount to much in the NFL. His scrambling abilities will be negated by the quality of defenses. His height issues will also be magnified. I just don't see Smith having the tools to succeed as a starting NFL QB. Kolb, with some development time, has much better skills for the WCO. That is my opinion. Neither Smith nor Kolb is ready now, but I think Kolb has a stronger skill set.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information