No announcement yet.

Official Eagles Draft Day Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Id rather us go into the season as under dogs again. And i stay away from the S word til we make the playoffs. A team doesnt really have to be complete to make it to the big dance. A solid run game and a defense can get you there. Ravens, Bears, and if they had an extra week last year the titans. I have to admit i was screaming at the eagles for not going after Ahmad Carrol when he was released but now i understand.

Comment

• I know a lot of Eagles fans held a collective look of shock on their faces when it was announced that the Eagles drafted Kevin Kolb. It's a natural reaction when the Eagles have a top 3, MVP-esque QB in McNabb when he's healthy. Now that it's been well over a week since the draft officially ended, there is no use in being bitter. He's our QB of the future and we must deal with it, so we mine as well look at it in a positive light. Last time we drafted our QB of the future we were left with feelings of bitterness and resentment. The last time I checked, we've been quite pleased with the production of that QB.

Now I know the two biggest knocks on the selection of Kolb is 1)we should've addressed defense and 2)we reached for him. We should've addressed defense had Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin, or Brandon Meriweather been on the board. Unfortunately, none of them were available. Anthony Spencer was available, but this draft had a lot of DE talent. In fact, the pool was so deep that landed Abiamiri, who should've gone a lot earlier than when he did. I'm certainly not complaining. Alan Branch was still on the board, but there was obviously something about him that nobody liked considering that he slipped from being a top 10 pick to being the first pick in the 2nd round. I liked him a lot because of his run stuffing ability, but there was no way the Eagles would select him with their first pick just to take on a Hollis Thomas type role. Paul Posluszny was available, and I'm sure he was a popular choice. In fact, I really liked the idea of getting him early in the draft process. Once we got Takeo Spikes though, Posluszny wasn't a hot commodity. We knew Gocong would come back and be our SLB, Trotter would man the MLB, and Spikes would play WLB. It was inevitable. McCoy would back up Spikes, Gaither would back up Trotter, and at the time, Tank Daniels would back up Gocong. They were very pleased with this arrangement, so they passed up on Posluszny to see what they could get in the later rounds. It just so happens that they got an absolute steal in Stewart Bradley. I'm ecstatic about our LB corps, so I say it was a blessing in disguise not drafting Posluszny. We could've selected Eric Weddle, but I don't think the Eagles liked the potential Considine/Weddle secondary. Not much strength in the run game there. Lastly, we could've gotten Chris Houston. He could've been a solid #4 guy this year, until he was groomed to be the nickel and an eventual starter. CB is a very deep position though. In fact, it is extremely deep. We know this year we had a good trio of Lito, Sheldon, and Will James. If James bolts, we could either sign a FA or draft a CB next year. At this point, all the top defensive talent is off the board. Offensively, we're set. Andy Reid felt it was time to start grooming our QB of the future so he picked Kolb.

Everybody keeps on insisting that we reached for Kolb at #36. Not true, because Kolb was the Dolphins pick at #40 had he not been off the board. Obviously there's something special about Kolb since the Dolphins passed on Brady Quinn in hopes of getting him in the 2nd.

To wrap it up, the selection of Kolb was a very good one. McNabb has been hurt 3 out of the past 5 seasons. He's getting older. If he's healthy, there is no question that he's our guy. When he's gone though, we have someone waiting in the wings. And the sick thing is, Kolb will be as prepared as ever for when he steps up to take over the QB throne. The Eagles were knocked for taking Kolb over the likes of John Beck, Trent Edwards, and Drew Stanton. Kolb is a four year starter. Experience is something you cannot teach. Sure, he played out of a college system and that could hurt him in the pros. McNabb played out of a college system as well. In fact, last year's Offensive Rookie of the Year played in a college system. John Beck shouldn't have been the pick because he's an old man. By the time we groomed him, he would've been damn near 30 years old. Trent Edwards slipped way far, so obviously there was something about him that a lot of teams didn't like. Drew Stanton is OK, but I wouldn't have selected him over Kolb. Just check out there numbers. No comparison. All in all, Kolb was the guy. I can see the Eagles justification of the pick and I am happy overall.

Comment

• What happens if Mcnabb stays healthy for the next for years. Does he get cut in a salary cap move, and then Kolb will be quote "Older" by then.

Comment

• I watched NFL Live last night on ESPN. They were focusing on the NFC East. The analysts there mentioned that McNabb has an option year in his contract after 2008. The Eagles can basically cut him or change the contract after that time. He can be extended or cut at that point. It was built in there as an "evaluation point" for the team. They're going to give McNabb another 2 years with the team, then they can see where we stand.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Something tells me AR would keep him, no matter what.
            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• The only pick I am not crazy about is Kolb. It's not that I think he cant play. I just wonder why two other quarterbacks were signed.

If you think Kolb is the quarterback of the future, kudos for getting him. It just seems like the Eagles are a contender to me. Strong from top to bottom. So why not trade up for top prospects that can make you stronger this year.

I am not trying to start a war. I like all the picks except for him. At the same time, what are the chances of all these picks making a team with such good depth?

McNabb can still play at a high level, in my opinion. And the backups are solid. I would think that over the next 2 years, a quarterback will come out that you like.

Again, I am giving my opinion with the utmost respect for your organization. I know I should not critque a team that has such a good history with thier draft picks.
              I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• If you read a lot of what we've discussed, we've been through all of these issues already. The team claims it drafted Kolb because he was the best available player on the board at the time. I call it that + he's McNabb insurance for the future. I would have liked the team to get an immediate impact-type player with that pick, but they got that later in the round with Abriamiri. By making the trade, they also got to take a flyer on Kolb and added Stewart Bradley. I'm pretty happy with it.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Your concern about the rookies not making the team is probably a little unfounded. If anything, the Eagles have shown a willingness to give roster spots to less proven or unproven talent with upside over more expensive veterans. They have done an excellent job cycling talent through and making the right decisions. You seem to agree.

Comment

• I didn't expect Lajuan Ramsey to make the team last year, but he had a strong TC and made it. I don't count out late round picks to make the team.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information