This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
    The Phils have 3 MLB catchers who are good enough. Neither Coste nor Ruiz is a great hitter, but both are acceptable. Paulino is a much better hitter, but I think his ability to work with pitchers is a little less than the other 2. Still think Paulino's stick will get him the job over Coste.
    That is the main reason I assume Marson is not sticking around for now, in order for him to come up, one of these threee would have to be demoted, probably Coste, unfortunately. But the team is shaping up to be dangerous again this year, and I like it. The future is looking good...
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

• Fact remains that Marson is the future. However, the Phillies are pretty good at present. Catchers who can hit okay and who play decent D are at a premium. I expect Paulino or Coste to get traded at some point this year. Not sure exactly where they will go, but I expect it to happen. KC is a distinct possibility, for instance. The Phils will have to clear out room for Marson at some point. His mix of skills is impossible to keep down (if he is what people say he is).

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Fact remains that Marson is the future. However, the Phillies are pretty good at present. Catchers who can hit okay and who play decent D are at a premium. I expect Paulino or Coste to get traded at some point this year. Not sure exactly where they will go, but I expect it to happen. KC is a distinct possibility, for instance. The Phils will have to clear out room for Marson at some point. His mix of skills is impossible to keep down (if he is what people say he is).
        Agreed, honestly, with the three we have already, this move doesn't surprise me. But I do also expect to see him shortly up with the Phils every day...

Comment

• My Condolences on the passing of Harry Kalas.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckyjackaubrey View Post
            My Condolences on the passing of Harry Kalas.
            Mine as well, I'm glad for his sake he was able to witness the World Series win, but it is sad to see him go. I was getting choked up at times during the game yesterday, and watching and listening to Wheels, I could tell he was too. He really touched a lot of people in this world and was a truly excellent human being from all accounts that I've heard. You can tell that he was loved accross the whole spectrum of people in Philadelphia, and across the country, but Philadelphia especially. All the people whose lives he touched are better off for it, no matter how little. I'm glad I was around to watch him and listen to him. I will remember Harry Kalas for as long as I live, and my best wishes go out to his family.

Comment

• Wow were some people really saying Burrell is better than Ibanez?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Greenthumb View Post
                Wow were some people really saying Burrell is better than Ibanez?
                Well right now, its pretty obvious who is better. Ibanez has made some great plays in Left Field and is hitting HRs and RBIs. He seems to be fitting in with the team well, which is very important.

Comment

• OK, so the decision to not sign Burrell, and then signing Ibanez... I'd say that was a smart move...

Comment

• I never said that the Phils shouldn't sign Ibanez, and I didn't even push too hard to keep Burrell around. I was worried about Ibanez's age (37 now) and the length of the contract. He has proven himself worth it so far, but it's a long season. The guy should start the all star game. Amazing first half so far...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I never said that the Phils shouldn't sign Ibanez, and I didn't even push too hard to keep Burrell around. I was worried about Ibanez's age (37 now) and the length of the contract. He has proven himself worth it so far, but it's a long season. The guy should start the all star game. Amazing first half so far...
                      Never meant it like that if thats how you took it. I meant it more in a way to describe how happy I was about Ibanez's success. He has slowed down a bit, but he is still outperforming Burrell and is a better fielder. The only thing I can see where Burrell is better than him is in arm strength.

Comment

• Arm strength means absolutely nothing if you don't get to the ball. Burrell was clearly the worst fielding OF in the league from 2006-2008. Ibanez alone has been a huge improvement in the field, plus his hitting has been sick. Not as many K's, and he's thriving. Obviously, he can't keep this up all year, but he'll have a ton of opportunities and will be a key for the team in 2009. My big issue is whether the deal will be worth it at the end of the contract...

Comment

Arm strength means absolutely nothing if you don't get to the ball. Burrell was clearly the worst fielding OF in the league from 2006-2008. Ibanez alone has been a huge improvement in the field, plus his hitting has been sick. Not as many K's, and he's thriving. Obviously, he can't keep this up all year, but he'll have a ton of opportunities and will be a key for the team in 2009. My big issue is whether the deal will be worth it at the end of the contract...
                          I agree, but when Pat did get to the ball, he had a cannon, and remember he was in contention for leading baseball in outfield assists last year. Raul fields the position better by far, but his arm just isn't as good as Pat's. It isn't bad, just average. Ibanez is a more complete player alltogether, and right now, with how he's played so far, his arm strength is on of the few flaws in his game.

I've seen Phillies jerseys with Ibanez's nuber, but instead of saying "Ibanez", they say "Raaaauuuuuuuuulll". It fills up the whole back of the jersey, and I can't see why anyone would get that over "Ibanez".

Comment

• I don't care about arm strength that much. Fact is that Burrell's lack of range cost more runs than his arm saved. I'm much happier with Ibanez overall in the field. His torrid hitting is a bonus.

Comment

I don't care about arm strength that much. Fact is that Burrell's lack of range cost more runs than his arm saved. I'm much happier with Ibanez overall in the field. His torrid hitting is a bonus.
                              No doubt at all, I was just saying that one area Burrell has the advantage is in arm strength. I agree Ibanez's range is better than what we had with Burrell. It was just one of Ibanez's flaws in his game, and since we already have Victorino, who has great range and a great arm, it isn't absolutely necessary that Ibanez have it. I'm just so pumped about Ibanez right now that I'm looking for things that will help us as fans better realize what he is, because I don't think any of us expect him to keep up what he has done on offense.

Comment

• Very few players are capable of an entire season like Ibanez is putting up. He has always hit well with RISP, but his BA overall is way above his career average. CB is helping his power #'s, but a lot is just he is locked in and put in favorable situations. The guy is just awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information