X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bsaza2358
    started a topic Philadelphia Phillies Discussion Thread

Philadelphia Phillies Discussion Thread

I know not all of you Eagles fans are Phillies fans, but a lot of the other team boards have threads dedicated to other local teams. Feel free to post about the team, stupid Manuel managerial decisions, trades, etc.

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    Howard signed a 5 year, 125 mil extension, figured its worth mentioning...

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    Originally posted by Morton View Post
    Howard's juicing, he's gotta be.
    Until there is proof, I'm taking the stance I have with everyone, and assuming/hoping they're not.

Leave a comment:

• Morton
    replied
    Howard's juicing, he's gotta be.

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    I went to the Phils/Nats game yesterday. I was sitting near the top of the Left Field foul pole, but when Howard sent that 2 run shot, it was obvious it was not your normal Howard Home Run. We were on the second row of the Third level of the stands, and the ball was about 10 feet below our level at its highest point. Then we saw it land in the second deck in almost stragith away center, and it seemed like no one near us realized just how huge that HR was. I thought maybe I imagained it, but when I got home ESPN was showing that HR was one of only two measured HRs to apex at 172 vertical feet or more (forget their exact wording), so now I feel less potentially crazy...

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    Anyone lese who saw the game think Dobbs' hit in the 11th should have been a homer? Or at least reviewed...?

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    One thing I like about this team, ever since about 3 years ago, we almost always have someone hot offensively. Howard will be exploding for a while, then tail off, in which case we'll have Utley pick up the slack, and when neither of them are hitting extremely well, Rollins will pick up his game and do well. Even Vicotrino will step up, though he won't have the power of the others usually. And with Ibanez this year, he has been picking it up for most of the start of the season, with Howard still doing well. Ibanez is beginning to tail off, but Howard seems like he is primed for a hot streak right now.

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    He is easily outperforming what I expected from him so far. Perhaps it is a case of him trying to impress the new fans, combined with a streak he is on, but he is beginning to slow down a bit, and perhaps we will be seeing more of what we should expect from him, in terms of batting.

Leave a comment:

• bsaza2358
    replied
    Very few players are capable of an entire season like Ibanez is putting up. He has always hit well with RISP, but his BA overall is way above his career average. CB is helping his power #'s, but a lot is just he is locked in and put in favorable situations. The guy is just awesome.

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
    I don't care about arm strength that much. Fact is that Burrell's lack of range cost more runs than his arm saved. I'm much happier with Ibanez overall in the field. His torrid hitting is a bonus.
    No doubt at all, I was just saying that one area Burrell has the advantage is in arm strength. I agree Ibanez's range is better than what we had with Burrell. It was just one of Ibanez's flaws in his game, and since we already have Victorino, who has great range and a great arm, it isn't absolutely necessary that Ibanez have it. I'm just so pumped about Ibanez right now that I'm looking for things that will help us as fans better realize what he is, because I don't think any of us expect him to keep up what he has done on offense.

Leave a comment:

• bsaza2358
    replied
    I don't care about arm strength that much. Fact is that Burrell's lack of range cost more runs than his arm saved. I'm much happier with Ibanez overall in the field. His torrid hitting is a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    Arm strength means absolutely nothing if you don't get to the ball. Burrell was clearly the worst fielding OF in the league from 2006-2008. Ibanez alone has been a huge improvement in the field, plus his hitting has been sick. Not as many K's, and he's thriving. Obviously, he can't keep this up all year, but he'll have a ton of opportunities and will be a key for the team in 2009. My big issue is whether the deal will be worth it at the end of the contract...
    I agree, but when Pat did get to the ball, he had a cannon, and remember he was in contention for leading baseball in outfield assists last year. Raul fields the position better by far, but his arm just isn't as good as Pat's. It isn't bad, just average. Ibanez is a more complete player alltogether, and right now, with how he's played so far, his arm strength is on of the few flaws in his game.

I've seen Phillies jerseys with Ibanez's nuber, but instead of saying "Ibanez", they say "Raaaauuuuuuuuulll". It fills up the whole back of the jersey, and I can't see why anyone would get that over "Ibanez".

Leave a comment:

• bsaza2358
    replied
    Arm strength means absolutely nothing if you don't get to the ball. Burrell was clearly the worst fielding OF in the league from 2006-2008. Ibanez alone has been a huge improvement in the field, plus his hitting has been sick. Not as many K's, and he's thriving. Obviously, he can't keep this up all year, but he'll have a ton of opportunities and will be a key for the team in 2009. My big issue is whether the deal will be worth it at the end of the contract...

Leave a comment:

• eaglesalltheway
    replied
    I never said that the Phils shouldn't sign Ibanez, and I didn't even push too hard to keep Burrell around. I was worried about Ibanez's age (37 now) and the length of the contract. He has proven himself worth it so far, but it's a long season. The guy should start the all star game. Amazing first half so far...
    Never meant it like that if thats how you took it. I meant it more in a way to describe how happy I was about Ibanez's success. He has slowed down a bit, but he is still outperforming Burrell and is a better fielder. The only thing I can see where Burrell is better than him is in arm strength.

Leave a comment:

• bsaza2358
    replied
    I never said that the Phils shouldn't sign Ibanez, and I didn't even push too hard to keep Burrell around. I was worried about Ibanez's age (37 now) and the length of the contract. He has proven himself worth it so far, but it's a long season. The guy should start the all star game. Amazing first half so far...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information