Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HinesWardJr Mock Draft

Round 1: Reggie Smith CB Oklahoma
    While cornerback isnt a real glaring need, I think Smith is too good to pass up. He brings saftey size (6-0 195) and corner speed and coverage. He's a ballhawk and can support the run. He's also a threat to score everytime he touches the ball.

Round 2: Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
    With all the tackles that could declare, I believe that Williams will be around in the second round. He has seen his stock sky rocket up since last year when he shuts down SEC ends. He could sit behind Marvel for a year and then take his spot.

Round 3: Jerome Simpson WR Costal Carolina
    He is a real sleep this year that could see his stock rise a lot if he gets invited to the combine. From what I have read, he has 11-inch hands with a 43 inch vertical with a 6-2, 185 pound body. Its also rumored that he runs a sub to mid 4.4. Those are some impressive numbers and he would make a great redzone target his rookie season as well as developing as a number 2 behind Holmes.

Round 4: Trevor Laws DE Notre Dame
    The only true player on that Irish defence. He lacks in size to play 3-4 tackle, so he will move to the end where i believe he is better then Mcbean, who we drafted last year in this spot. Laws is great against the run, as he is a terror in the backfield (9.5 tackles behind los last year). Possibly have him on the practice squad for a year and he will be better then Eason and Kirchke.

Round 5: Wallace Gilberry OLB Alabama
    While there isnt much value here for a outside backer, I believe Gilberry could suprise some people. He doesnt have great speed, but he gets in the backfield effectively and disrupts the run. He has the same build as Woodley and I belive he could be a good pass rusher in time.

Round 6: Josh Johnson QB San Diego
    Batch isnt going to play forever, so it will be good to develop a quarterback behind Ben. Johnson has a good arm and put up solid numbers at San Diego. He doesnt have great size, but I dont think he will ever be a starter in the NFL. Will take the Saints job as a rookie.

Some UDFA's we could look at possibly:

Brian Witherspoon CB Stillman-great speed, can return kicks and punts and use his speed effectively

Rudy Burgess WR/KR/PR Asu- he is very versitile as he moved around a lot as a Sun Devil. I think his main position is reciever and he can return kicks. He does have a injury history though.

Only one o-lineman taken is troublesome. Simpson in the third is way to fragile a WR for us. I dont see the point of developing a rookie QB into a backup when we only need vet QBs behind Big Ben.

Comment

We have Starks and Faneca leaving and Essex needs to be replaced. More than 1 OL is needed for that.

I really don't like corner in the first round. At this point since we don't even know where we will actually be picking I think it is more appropriate to draft for need than draft for value.

OL in the first round is an absolute must. We need a guy to come in and start at one of the guards immediately.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

yall seem so sure that faneca is leaving

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Faneca is gone. If they were planning on keeping him they would have gotten a deal done before this year started. They don't typically resign big name players once they hit the market.

Plus at this point I don't even want Faneca back for the kind of money he's gonna demand. He has been inconsitent all year and doesn't deserve the amount of money he is going to make by what he used to be.

I.e. - Joey Porter

Comment

what we need is depth...

we have kemo and simmons who i believe can start
            and we have after this mock, williams and colon
            with mahan at center

we need depth and backups which we can sign cheap fa's or sign with udfas

we have some backups, but i think we go for the huge lineman next year

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
              what we need is depth...

we have kemo and simmons who i believe can start
              and we have after this mock, williams and colon
              with mahan at center

we need depth and backups which we can sign cheap fa's or sign with udfas

we have some backups, but i think we go for the huge lineman next year
              Whys that exactly?

Comment

We will need lineman to replace Starks, Faneca, and Essex on the line. We typically don't sign many fas so these players will most likely come from the draft.

I think Smith-Kemoeatu- Mahan- Simmons- Colon will be our starting line next season but after that Smith and Kemo will be FAs and we relaly don't have any depth behind these players. Anywhere. Only place we even have a backup is at center after we lose Faneca, Starks, and Essex. I want a first round tackle or guard to replace Smith or Faneca/Kemoeatu.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
                  We will need lineman to replace Starks, Faneca, and Essex on the line. We typically don't sign many fas so these players will most likely come from the draft.

I think Smith-Kemoeatu- Mahan- Simmons- Colon will be our starting line next season but after that Smith and Kemo will be FAs and we relaly don't have any depth behind these players. Anywhere. Only place we even have a backup is at center after we lose Faneca, Starks, and Essex. I want a first round tackle or guard to replace Smith or Faneca/Kemoeatu.
                  Those could be the starters on the o-line, but I think you have the guards mized up. The more mobile Simmons would take over Faneca's spot at LG, while Kemo would move into the RG spot which requires more straight ahead blocking.

I understand why the Steelers did not want to risk going into next season with no returning starters at OG, but man do I wish we had not resigned Simmons the way he's been playing. If Colon's ultimate position is at Guard like many of us believe, then I am not sure if we resign Kemo or not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

And also, Kemo is a RFA this coming offseason.

Comment

I was talking to Ian Whetstone (SCI Steelers Capologist) says..

we have enough money to sign Ben to a Contract similar to Romo (even if we gave him about 5-8M More).. Sign 2-3 BIG NAME FA's( or some mid-teir and top tier FA's), and the rookies.

So we could potentially .. .draft 5-7 Rookies, sign a couple guys (Albert Haynesworth? Imagine him as a 3-4 DE)...

I'm looking at
                    Randy Starks(TEN),
                    Keyaron Fox(KC),
                    Karlos Dansby(ARI),
                    Darryl Blackstock(ARI~RFA)
                    Jerome Mathis (HOU~RFA)
                    Michael Boley (ATL ~ RFA) ~ ILB.
                    Stacy Andrews (CIN)
                    Justin Smith..

Imagine if We had Justin Smith as a 3-4 DE.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by TerribleEd View Post
                      Those could be the starters on the o-line, but I think you have the guards mized up. The more mobile Simmons would take over Faneca's spot at LG, while Kemo would move into the RG spot which requires more straight ahead blocking.

I understand why the Steelers did not want to risk going into next season with no returning starters at OG, but man do I wish we had not resigned Simmons the way he's been playing. If Colon's ultimate position is at Guard like many of us believe, then I am not sure if we resign Kemo or not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It's a double edged-sword..

Kemo will get a 1 year RFA tender.. if he plays great, he could bolt in UFA.. if he doesn't, why re-sign him.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                        I was talking to Ian Whetstone (SCI Steelers Capologist) says..

we have enough money to sign Ben to a Contract similar to Romo (even if we gave him about 5-8M More).. Sign 2-3 BIG NAME FA's( or some mid-teir and top tier FA's), and the rookies.

So we could potentially .. .draft 5-7 Rookies, sign a couple guys (Albert Haynesworth? Imagine him as a 3-4 DE)...

I'm looking at
                        Randy Starks(TEN),
                        Keyaron Fox(KC),
                        Karlos Dansby(ARI),
                        Darryl Blackstock(ARI~RFA)
                        Jerome Mathis (HOU~RFA)
                        Michael Boley (ATL ~ RFA) ~ ILB.
                        Stacy Andrews (CIN)
                        Justin Smith..

Imagine if We had Justin Smith as a 3-4 DE.
                        Lotta othersd to retain first though. Haynesworth would be lights out.

Comment

I'd love to land a big name fa lineman but we won't. We have alot of money to work with but we typically just don't get into bidding wars for the top FAs.

I'd like to see us sign a new slot reciever and a top tier guard. Other than that I say save the money. I wouldn't want a RFA cause we'd lose picks. One of the guys you listed I could see us going for is Stacey Andrews if he isn't extended in Cincy.
                          Last edited by Smooth Criminal; 11-10-2007, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TerribleEd View Post

Thats why I said he'd be a FA with Smith who has this year plus one more left. Thats the same Kemo has after we offer him the 1 year deal RFAs get.

Simmons has looked pretty weak this year. I wouldn't mind seeing him slide over to LG like you said, start Colon at RG, and either draft or sign a RT.

Comment

Originally posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
                              Lotta othersd to retain first though. Haynesworth would be lights out.
                              We really don't have that many people that need to be locked up. Obviously Ben. I'd like to see Colon get extended but probably not until after next season. McFadden is RFA this year I think so I'd love to see him get extended aswell. Other than that we have everyone I want to keep on this team for alot of years. I think Haggans and Marvel Smith are our next big names with contracts up and I'm expecting them to both get let go when their contracts are gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information