Eleven things I was pondering..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
    Anyway so your saying they are going to him to middle if we keep the 3-4? I thought tomlin was set on switching to the 4-3 anyway. Would woodley stay at lolb or would he be moved down to de?
    LDE, move A-Smith to DT w/ Hampton, Keisel at RDE, Timmons at OLB with harrison and either Foote / Farrior at ILB

Haggans will be doneski in Pittsburgh

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
      LDE, move A-Smith to DT w/ Hampton, Keisel at RDE, Timmons at OLB with harrison and either Foote / Farrior at ILB

Haggans will be doneski in Pittsburgh
      I really hope we dont go to the 4-3. Grr

Comment

i dont know if id mind it to be honest...

unless we get some dominant pass rushers than it seems like we would get a better pass rush with a 4-3

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

I am not familiar with Merling, but 6-5, 272 seems awfully big for an OLB.

Comment

Originally posted by TerribleEd View Post
            IMO, that's a great size for a 3-4 OLB, especially if he runs the 40 between 4.67-4.73 seconds. Personally, I'd take that any day of the week, twice on Sundays. Also, that's a very similar size to Shawne Merriman, who I believe is 6-4, 272.

About Merling though, I believe he only tallied up a total of 6 sacks on the season, which isn't all that much, though I believe he did rack up around 15 TFL. I don't think Clemson has that many top tier defensive players on their roster though, so with that in mind, that would make it that much harder for Merling to produce come game day, seeing as though he'd be keyed in on a whole lot. I haven't seen a whole lot of Merling though, so I can't really comment on his play, though if Mr.Stiller says he'd take him in the 1st round, that's saying something.
            Last edited by TheWood56; 12-19-2007, 12:27 AM.

Sig by Jakey

Comment

Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
              Anyway so your saying they are going to him to middle if we keep the 3-4? I thought tomlin was set on switching to the 4-3 anyway. Would woodley stay at lolb or would he be moved down to de?
              Tomlin is going to stay in the 3-4. There is absolutley no reason to change the #1 defense in the NFL.

To go to the 4-3, he would have to gut the defense and get a new defensive coordinator.

Aaron Smith, Nick Eason, Clint Kreidwaldt, Andre Frazier, Arnold Harrison, Brett Keisel wouldn't fit it really.

Woodley would be the weakside DE, Hoke would be the UT, Hampton the NT, we don't have a weakside rusher.

Woodley ~ Hampton ~ Hoke ~ ?
              ? ~ ? ~ ? ~ Harrison

LB:

James Harrison (SLB) ~ James Farrior (MLB) ~ Lawrence Timmons (WLB)
              Larry Foote ~ ? ~ ?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
                i dont know if id mind it to be honest...

unless we get some dominant pass rushers than it seems like we would get a better pass rush with a 4-3
                Thing is with the 4-3 You have your 3 passrushers and 1.5 run stoppers (.5 for the UT).

Nearly all your LBs are coverage/run stoppers.. I think this would be killer with Harrison/Farrior/Timmons.

But I don't think the 4-3 can you really confuse the offense.. they know what your doing.

What would we do with Troy?

Comment

It is for an "Average" 3-4 OLB.

the average 3-4 OLB is 6'3 250ish pounds.

I think Merling is another physical speciman. Basically the monsterly-mutated version of James Harrison. Beast against the run, Solid Passrusher. But he is a good bit stronger than Harrison.. and a very good bit faster than Harrison as well. He's getting more experience in coverage the last 4 weeks of the season.

Merling has supposedly dropped about 5-10 lbs.. putting him around 6'5 260-270.. he should add about 1-2 hundredths of a second off his 40. I just watched the BC game and he looks extremely fluid the few times he dropped in coverage. I have the Florida State Game, South Carolina game and Virginia Tech games to watch yet.

But he is a complete DE.

People like Vernon Gholston. He's an inch shorter and a few ticks faster.. he also played on an all-star team.

His Whole DL, LB core and probably 3/4ths of his secondary will be playing in the Pro's..

Doug Worthington, Lawrence Wilson, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Anderson Russell, Donald Washington(May eventually be better than Jenks), Eugene Clifford, Nate Oliver, Austin Spitler, Jamario O'Neal, Marcus Freeman, Dexter Larimore, Chimdi Chekwa, Mark Johnson, Kurt Coleman..

NOT 1 SENIOR IN THAT BUNCH.. and they ALL have 1st round potential.

So, Worthington, Wilson, Larimore, and Gholston.

Those guys could be all 1st team all americans...

Of Clemson...

Besides Michael Hamlin (SS), Ricky Sapp (DE), Philip Merling is literally the only other good guy on that team.. he's literally double teamed every play.

Just like Derrick Harvey's production dropped. People overlook he had 6-8 guys leave.. not to mention 4 other DL. 3 Tackles and Moss.

So. I'm more impressed with Merlings Production because he hasn't had an opportunity to be one on one with a OT very often. Gosder was struggling with him a lot, so they double teamed him and he still beat the double team a few times.. but He just couldn't get there in time.

I also have some other mocks in mind, I'm just waiting for the Juniors to declare...

1) Philip Merling, DE/OLB, Clemson ~ Franchise Passrusher
                  2* Trade down for 2 3rds and a 5th..
                  3a) James Davis, RB, Clemson ~ Change of pace/north/south runner
                  3b) John Greco, OG/OT, Toledo ~ LG/RG/RT
                  4) Nick Hayden, DT/DE, Wisconsin ~ SDE bring in behind Smith for Future.
                  5a) Darnell Terrell, CB, Missouri ~ CB Depth, physical
                  5b) Will Franklin, WR, Missouri ~ WR depth, could bump Wilson/Washington
                  6) Barry Richardson, LT/RT, Clemson ~ LT/RT to develop... Has LT potential, but at worst would make Solid RT.
                  Last edited by Mr. Stiller; 12-19-2007, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                    It is for an "Average" 3-4 OLB.

the average 3-4 OLB is 6'3 250ish pounds.

I think Merling is another physical speciman. Basically the monsterly-mutated version of James Harrison. Beast against the run, Solid Passrusher. But he is a good bit stronger than Harrison.. and a very good bit faster than Harrison as well. He's getting more experience in coverage the last 4 weeks of the season.

Merling has supposedly dropped about 5-10 lbs.. putting him around 6'5 260-270.. he should add about 1-2 hundredths of a second off his 40. I just watched the BC game and he looks extremely fluid the few times he dropped in coverage. I have the Florida State Game, South Carolina game and Virginia Tech games to watch yet.

But he is a complete DE.

People like Vernon Gholston. He's an inch shorter and a few ticks faster.. he also played on an all-star team.

His Whole DL, LB core and probably 3/4ths of his secondary will be playing in the Pro's..

Doug Worthington, Lawrence Wilson, Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Anderson Russell, Donald Washington(May eventually be better than Jenks), Eugene Clifford, Nate Oliver, Austin Spitler, Jamario O'Neal, Marcus Freeman, Dexter Larimore, Chimdi Chekwa, Mark Johnson, Kurt Coleman..

NOT 1 SENIOR IN THAT BUNCH.. and they ALL have 1st round potential.

So, Worthington, Wilson, Larimore, and Gholston.

Those guys could be all 1st team all americans...

Of Clemson...

Besides Michael Hamlin (SS), Ricky Sapp (DE), Philip Merling is literally the only other good guy on that team.. he's literally double teamed every play.

Just like Derrick Harvey's production dropped. People overlook he had 6-8 guys leave.. not to mention 4 other DL. 3 Tackles and Moss.

So. I'm more impressed with Merlings Production because he hasn't had an opportunity to be one on one with a OT very often. Gosder was struggling with him a lot, so they double teamed him and he still beat the double team a few times.. but He just couldn't get there in time.

I also have some other mocks in mind, I'm just waiting for the Juniors to declare...

1) Philip Merling, DE/OLB, Clemson ~ Franchise Passrusher
                    2* Trade down for 2 3rds and a 5th..
                    3a) James Davis, RB, Clemson ~ Change of pace/north/south runner
                    3b) John Greco, OG/OT, Toledo ~ LG/RG/RT
                    4) Nick Hayden, DT/DE, Wisconsin ~ SDE bring in behind Smith for Future.
                    5a) Darnell Terrell, CB, Missouri ~ CB Depth, physical
                    5b) Will Franklin, WR, Missouri ~ WR depth, could bump Wilson/Washington
                    6) Barry Richardson, LT/RT, Clemson ~ LT/RT to develop... Has LT potential, but at worst would make Solid RT.
                    I'll have to get Merling on my radar. If he's athletic enough to pull it off, he would be a freak - I'll give you that.

With Harrison making pro-bowl and Woodley likely starting next season, I still cannot see them going OLB in Rd 1 regardless of who might be available. O-line seems like too big of a priority. I am anxiously waiting to see if Duke Robinson and Alex Boone declare, as they would make a lovely pair for rounds one and two.

Comment

I'll have to get Merling on my radar. If he's athletic enough to pull it off, he would be a freak - I'll give you that.

With Harrison making pro-bowl and Woodley likely starting next season, I still cannot see them going OLB in Rd 1 regardless of who might be available. O-line seems like too big of a priority. I am anxiously waiting to see if Duke Robinson and Alex Boone declare, as they would make a lovely pair for rounds one and two.
                      Harrison is 30. He's not exactly Consistent. We need a big physical fast pass rusher opposite of Woodley.

If a guy with Merling is there I'd be hard pressed to skip over him.

I'm not a fan of Boone.. Robinson seems schizo. 1 minute he'll be amazingly dominant with a mean streak, then he goes soft.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information