Porter to be Cut?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter to be Cut?

It seems every source has the Steelers cutting Porter before tuesday, when his bonus is due.

I really hope these reports are true. I don't want to have to deal with Porter holding out in the offseason and I think Harrison could have the same impact as Porter last year. Plus it pushes the issue at linebacker so we will have to address that in the earlier rounds of the draft.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

If we don't cut him and he holds out we could Deion Branch his ass and actually get something for him.

I agree with you Harrison could have the same production.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Too Late..

Joey Porter is cut.

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette
      The Steelers released linebacker Joey Porter today.

The Steelers today released linebacker Joey Porter, their best overall defensive player in the 21st century whose play helped win them a Super Bowl 13 months ago.

Porter was due a $1 million roster bonus by Tuesday and $4 million in salary in the final year of his contract. That, coupled with the fact he was a potential contract holdout this year, prompted the Steelers to release him.

Porter has been their starting right outside linebacker since 2000, the year after they drafted him.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
        If we don't cut him and he holds out we could Deion Branch his ass and actually get something for him.

I agree with you Harrison could have the same production.
        I love Harrison, but he wears down more easily and is more suited to coverage. I think adding a guy Like Tully Banta-Cain or Antwan Peek and Drafting a DE/OLB this year and 1 Early next year will give us a solid group.

2007: Anthony Spencer, Jacob Ford (Possibly Brian Smith)
        2008: Tommy Blake, Keith Rivers, Brian Cushing(Personal Fav), Quentin Groves.

Tommy Blake or Cushing next year.. with a Dominant DT like Andre Fluellen in the 2nd round.

Comment

Its funny cause several months ago people were saying how we would never cut Porter cause he was such a leader and all that jazz. Now he's gone and we dont have to worry about a Deion Branch situation during training camp. It's time to make way for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by skarocksoi View Post
            Its funny cause several months ago people were saying how we would never cut Porter cause he was such a leader and all that jazz. Now he's gone and we dont have to worry about a Deion Branch situation during training camp. It's time to make way for the future.
            Yea if I had a dime for everytime someone criticized my opinion of cutting him....and they did. Same with Haynes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
              Yea if I had a dime for everytime someone criticized my opinion of cutting him....and they did. Same with Haynes.
              Im glad both are gone. Porter has declined and I never really liked Haynes, other than making fun of him. I thought Najeh did a much better job on 3rd downs than Haynes this past year. I appreciate what both did for our team, but I dont think they are essential for our success. My best wishes to both of them.

Comment

For those of you doubting Harrison's ability to takeover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MwpFrIo_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAXPu0v8x4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Am7QJ0Zoto

Theres another hit that I couldn't find on a Jaguar.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
                  For those of you doubting Harrison's ability to takeover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MwpFrIo_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAXPu0v8x4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Am7QJ0Zoto

Theres another hit that I couldn't find on a Jaguar.
                  I have no doubt he'd be as solid in coverage and tackling. But I haven't seen him ever be a threat in the pass rush, and he wore down fast in the few games he went in Full time. Although, he was the team leader the 3 times he started for Porter.

I still want to piss my pants in the Chad Johnson slam when the guy is like.. "Now you can wrap him up and take him to the ground... but thats what we call ... excessive.".. hee yeahhhh.

OH!, It's not my avatar anymore... GOTTA FIND IT!.

Comment

Gotta love being a browns fan right now, were getting better and your getting worse.

Going to a 4-3 might really hurt players like Hampton and Palamalu, because it might really exspose there weaknesses.

Also loosing a handful of some of the best NFL coaches hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMontainya View Post
                      Gotta love being a browns fan right now, were getting better and your getting worse.

Going to a 4-3 might really hurt players like Hampton and Palamalu, because it might really exspose there weaknesses.

... We're not going to the 4-3? And... The last time we played you.. and Porter was gone.. I believe it was a 24-10 win in our favor...

And how exactly are the browns getting better? They have no run game, their only good lineman, broke his leg on purpose so he didn't have to play, then found he was getting better, so he got himself a staph infection.

Players like Polamalu and Hampton really don't have weaknesses. How would going to a 4-3 expose Hampton? Honestly, thats just stupid. He's a run plugger plain and simple, and a damn good one. He might even be more dominant in a 4-3. As for Polamalu.. I can't see a 4-3 affecting him.

As for LOSING a handful of NFL Coaches, they really underachieved. Steeltown is going through changes.. But hey, atleast we're not the team always in the basement picking in the top 15 and not getting anywhere, that hurts more. Hell I'll take 2 bad years. It's certainly better than... almost a lifetime for the browns...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMontainya View Post

dont post here again unless you know what you are talking about

id explain WHY you are wrong but stiller already did that

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

bengals and cardinals are the front runners to land porter

i want him to goto cincy so we play him twice a year 8)

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
                            bengals and cardinals are the front runners to land porter

i want him to goto cincy so we play him twice a year 8)

I'm thinking Balty or Cleveland.. could you imagine the disention in the lockerroom with Porter/Lewis or Porter/Winslow. That would be amusing. he'd come back at Vets minimum just to punk em.

Comment

PFT says Porter and his agent wern't expecting him to get cut, in fact they thought he was getting a raise.

Thats exactlly why Porter needed cut. He wanted more money even after a down year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information