Steelers' 2008 Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SCSteeler View Post
    i'm finding listings of Kyle Clement weighing 316lbs, and others sayin he's 266?
    some sayin he's a DT and some sayin he's a DE?
    WTF?

i'm hoping he's a 316lb DT?
    are you questioning whether you are hoping he is a 316 lb DT??

i am for sure hoping he is a 316 lb DT. how tall are we talking about?? might slim down a bit and make a nice DE.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• The steelers.com roster has Clement listed at 6'4" 290, sounds like a perfect fit at DE to me. And the video of him floating around shows that he was absolutely DOMINATE, albeit at DII level. He's up there with Legursky, Bryant, Rucker, and Bailey as the UDFA's that have me the most intrigued.

Thanks to Jakey for the sweet sig

Comment

• I had to do a free writing thing for class so I graded the steeler draft.

Keep in mind I am usually negative about these type of things.

Well have at it.

Pittsburgh Steelers 2008 Draft Review

1.Rashard Mendenhall 5’10 225 4.45 RB Illinois-A tremendous value pick at the number 23 spot in the first round, Rashard is an instant upgrade at the position over incumbent back up Najeh Davenport. Mendenhall has a rare combination of size, speed and lateral quickness. He makes one cut plants his foot and hits the hole hard. Its hard to evaluate him because he played in a spread offense with slowly developing lateral runs that is not used in the NFL. Only had one year of production at the college level, “a one year wonder.”

Pro Comparison-Larry Johnson

Player Grade B+

2.Limas Sweed 6’4 215 4.52 WR Texas-Just what Big Ben ordered, a tall playmaker to add to the Steelers already impressive arsenal. Sweed has excellent hands and adequate speed, but is not as physical as you would expect for a wide receiver of his stature. Also Sweed may struggle to get off press man coverage due to this lack of physicality and due to his only adequate speed and large frame he may struggle to separate from pro corners. Despite his flaws Sweed is exactly what the Pittsburgh offense needed in a WR and is a tremendous value where he was picked.

Pro Comparison-Reggie Williams with better hands

Player Grade B+

3.Bruce Davis 6’2 252 4.78 OLB UCLA-A very productive college player that will help to upgrade the Steelers inconsistent pass rush. May have been a reach at where he was drafted but should be a solid player that should allow the Steelers to move Lawrence Timmons to inside linebacker in the not too distant future.

Player Grade C+

4.Tony Hills 6’5 309 5.25 OT Texas-Hills fell down in the draft due to an injury and the Steelers may have picked up a steal. Hills will help bolster offensive line depth the team’s most glaring need.

Player Grade C+

5.Dennis Dixon 6’3 195 4.5 QB Oregon-Was a very unwise luxury pick for the Steelers. Dixon was a Heisman trophy candidate until he tore the ACL in his knee. If the Steelers are going to use Dixon at multiple positions this pick doesn’t look quite as bad but if he is only going to play QB this was a self indulgent waste of a pick. The teams has much more pressing needs than a third string QB.

Pro Comparison-A very poor man’s Vince Young

Player Grade-D+

6.Mike Humpal 6’2 244 4.82 ILB Iowa-A slow plodding thumper of a linebacker that I figured would go undrafted is a waste of a pick for the Steelers. The team should have gone defensive lineman with its last two picks, instead the team is stuck with a player that can only make contributions on special teams and will in all likely hood be cut in training camp.

Pro Comparison-A destitute man’s James Farrior

Player Grade F

7.Ryan Mundy 6’0 205 4.53 S West Virginia-Different position but I have much the same opinion of Mundy as I do Humpal. He could contribute on special teams but will likely be cut in training camp.
        Player Grade F

Pittsburgh Steelers Overall Grade 2008 Draft-C+
        Due to the fact that the Steelers failed to make any attempt to sure up the defensive line and barely did anything to improve their offensive line I can’t give this class any higher of a grade than a C+. Football games are won and lost in the trenches and the Steelers need to get back to this old adage and brand of physical football.
        Last edited by DeathbyStat; 05-02-2008, 09:10 AM.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
        Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• So this has nothing to do with the draft and I didn't really know where to put it, it's really just bragging. So SG5 (read Steelersgirl5) is my roommate and best friend. Well at the place she works, one of her old coworkers used to be Major Greene (read Joe Greene's son), and yesterday Major came into where she works just to visit and what not and in with him walks the one, the only, Mean Joe. Well her being my best friend, she fruckin' got him to sign an autograph to me. Yes, its true. I have an autograph to me from Mean Joe Greene.

Comment

• Thats pretty badass man! :)

Where is SG hiding anyways? She aint posted in a while!

Comment

• I'll see if I can get her to make an appearance later. You know it will be in the Off-Topic section. So be looking for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                If the Steelers are going to use Dixon at multiple positions this pick doesn’t look quite as bad but if he is only going to play QB this was a self indulgent waste of a pick.
                Self-indulgent as opposed to what exactly?

Comment

• as oppose to ya beat

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• I acutally met Jerome Bettis and talked to him. Wished security would have let me get a picture and autograph with him.

Comment

• Brings up a discussion. Does Bettis beat Greene in fan popularity??

Comment

• We released Dorien Bryant because he failed a physical. We signed another player battling for KR/PR duties in Kevin Marion from Wake Forest. His numbers werent that impressive and I think he will get cut.

Comment

• i wanted the other Wake Forest player Kenneth Moore but the Lions took him in the 5th.

Comment

• Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                            Brings up a discussion. Does Bettis beat Greene in fan popularity??
                            Hmm that's a good one. Everyone loves Bettis because he was the more recent Steelers player, but Mean Joe's a legend. I think Mean Joe wins because he made the best coke commercial of all time.

BoneKrusher

360 GT: iiidiiiot
                            Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information