No announcement yet.

2009/2010 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day in the life of Hines Ward...A quiet friday morning in the burgh. Taken from the pittsburgh post-gazette.

4:47 AM Hines wakes form a dream of broken linebackers and corners in wheel Chairs. The words, "Hark, someone is in trouble", are uttered.

4:48 AM Showered, shaved and dressed in a kevlar business suit, he heads out the door to his black Escalade (You remember the one).

4:49 AM He contacts Casey Hampton and tells him to meet him at the scene of the trouble. Casey refuses, citing the time. Hines says, "I have donuts".

4:51 AM Hines arrives at the scene of a six story apartment fire. Casey is already there. Hines trots toward the building. A fireman says, "No worries Hines, everyone is out".

4:52 AM Ward scans the building, he knows something is still wrong. He has Hampton throw him through a third story window. Fireman and spectators watch in anticipation and worry. Casey walks back to the donuts.

4:57 AM After five tense minutes, Hines Ward emerges from the front door of the building holding something in his arms. The crowd watches in silence as he walks over to a nine-year-old little boy and says, "Whew, that was close", and hands him his football. The crowd goes wild.

4:58 AM Hines and Hampton stick around to help put out the fire.

7:00 AM The fire out, the two Steelers say their goodbyes and head for the closest Denny's. Hines orders a light breakfast fo himself, and the first two pages of the menu for Hampton, because Casey already ate his menu.

8:00 AM Hampton heads home and back to bed. Hines Is about to head for the gym when his phone rings. It's Obama, he needs advice on domestic and foreign affairs and what to wear to the State of the Union address.

8:45 AM The Pope calls, he wants to know how to keep smiling no matter what. And, he wants to know how to throw a stiff-arm in the next meeting with the cardinals (No, the guys in red dresses).

9:05 AM Hines carries a little old lady, her wheel chair, her oxygen tank and her thirty-four-year-old unemployed son across the street, in one crossing.

9:08 AM His phone rings. He answers. "Of course I still respect you", he says. "No, really, I do. I always have. Please stop crying." It's Ray Lewis...Again. Hines has his fingers crossed.

9:15 AM Hines returns home and dresses for a twenty mile run. Limas Sweed joins him. Hines carries Limas the last 15 miles. He smiles the whole way.

9:45 AM The second shower of the day.

10:00 AM Hines heads to a local gradeschool to read to the kids. Kids around the Pittsburgh area have been pretending to not be able to read for years. Female principals have no problem with it.

11:00 AM As he is getting into his Escalade (You know the one), a police car pulls up and whisks him away. A bank is being robbed nearby.

11:15 AM Hines has talked the robbers into giving themselves up by promising them all signed jerseys. One hardcase holds out for a glove too. Ward teaches all three how to keep smiling, no matter what, before they are taken off to jail.

11:20 AM On his way back to his Escalade (Think Super Bowl), Hines asks the officer to pull over to help change the tire on a city bus. He doesn't use a jack, or a tire iron for the lug nuts.

12:00 PM He meets Big Ben for lunch. They sit six tables apart. Halfway through their meal, Hines says, "Hey Ben, pass the salt". Right on target. The gravey doesn't go so well.

1:00 PM Third shower of the day.

1:30 PM Hines reads his fan mail. Thank God he can speed read. Included are twelve offers of marriage (Eleven from women), thirty-two offers of services (Thirty female), one hundred and thirty-eight invitations to BBQs, etc, etc...He gets six laters from Ray, split equally, three love and three hate. All six have gross spelling and grammatical errors.

2:30 PM Hines Ward is given the key to the city, the county, the state and the country in one ceremony. He puts them on his key ring.

3:00 PM At the awards reception he gets up on stage and sings "I did it my way". He is signed to a record contract.

4:00 PM Ward carries a blind man and his seeing-eye-dog across the street. The NFL referee thanks him.

4:03 PM His phone rings. It's the U.N. They called to oppologize that their key was not received in time for the ceremony and ask if he would oversee the peace negotiations in the middle east. Hines respectfully declines. Even he can do nothing there.

4:30 PM Hines heads for dinner with the offensive line.

4:58 PM At a restaurant that shall remain nameless, Ward oversees the five o'clock feeding of the starting five offensive lineman for the Steelers. With gusto, they consume everything on the meat section of the menu, one table, two chairs, four table cloths and one very expensive set of curtains. They decline dessert.

6:00 PM Ward retires to his home for the evening after carrying and old man, three special needs children, two deaf people, and a mother duck and her ducklings accros the road. The two deaf people are not pleased.

6:30 PM Hines calls his moma and tells her he loves her. She calls him soft.

7:00 PM He gets online and plays chess with Steven Hawking. He lets Steven win.

7:57 PM Ward crank calls Chad Johnson pretending to be the president of the Academy Awards Show and asks if Chad will host the awards this year. Chad accepts and starts to cry.

8:00 PM Hines does a thousand situps, five hundred pushups, and stretches.

8:01 PM The phone rings. "Really, I am not just saying I respect you to get you off the phone. I do. I promise". His fingers are crossed again.

8:30 PM Hines settles into his favorite chair for a little lite reading with The New England Journal Of Medicine. He spots several errors. Then he leafs through the Wall Stree Journal making notes for Bernanke (SP?).

9:30 PM In his room, Hines swings out a picture of his mother, dials a combination, opens the safe door, disarms the bomb, unlocks the lock box and takes out his rings. He looks at them for a while. Oh yeah, he is definitely smiling.

10:00 PM Ward puts on his Steelers pajamas, brushed his teeth, says his prayers and falls asleep hovering six inches above his bed.

Comment

• I read that earlier. That had to be the funniest thing ever.

Comment

• Quick Mock with all the underclassmen finally declared:

1. FS Earl Thomas, Texas
        2. RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
        3. OT Jason Veldheer, Hillsdale
        4. DT Vince Oghoobaase, Duke
        5.a) OT/OG Ciron Black, LSU
        5.b) NT Cam Thomas, North Carolina
        5.c) DE/OLB Austen Lane, Murray State
        6. OT/OG Brandon Carter, Texas Tech
        7. WR Pat Simonds, Colgate

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
          Quick Mock with all the underclassmen finally declared:

1. FS Earl Thomas, Texas
          2. RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
          3. OT Jason Veldheer, Hillsdale
          4. DT Vince Oghoobaase, Duke
          5.a) OT/OG Ciron Black, LSU
          5.b) NT Cam Thomas, North Carolina
          5.c) DE/OLB Austen Lane, Murray State
          6. OT/OG Brandon Carter, Texas Tech
          7. WR Pat Simonds, Colgate
          nice value draft - what can you tell us about Veldheer, haven't heard of him.

Comment

• He's a 6'8 or 6'9 guy around the 320 lbs. mark and is a superb athlete. Very agile, can supposedly run the 40 in around 4.8 secods, and can deal well with speed rushers and shifty passrushers. Hi only knock is that he's not overtly strong or powerful, and his contributions in the run game are around average. However, guys belied that working out and good coaching can help him become a great tackle. Definitely a project of sorts, but could be an awesome player if he develops correctly.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• One player to watch during draft day is Arthur Jones. Like Dallas Cowboy Chris Canty, Jones had an injury history at Virginia and they were potential first round picks. Canty went in the fourth and I think Jones could fall due to this. Probably not, but keep an eye on that. If he is there in the fourth, he is a steal.

Comment

• Yeah for sure...if hecan stay healthy he'll be one hell of a player.

Comment

• Any other prospects you can tell me about Hines? The team boards pretty slow atm!

Comment

• I seriously, seriously, seriously want the FA to look at Karlos Dansby if he hits free agency. I know we don't sign expensive FA's, but he'd fill a need for the near future.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• I can honestly see someone taking a fair few snaps away from James Farrior this year, be it a rookie, Keyaron Fox or a FA.

Comment

• Micah Johnson from Kentucky could be a real good linebacker in the NFL. Problem is he hurt his knee and I don't know if he will be ready for workouts. Real solid player.

Comment

• Do any of you guys know much about Anthony McCoy and how well he blocks? I just read Scott's report on him, and it says that he's an excellent all around blocker, but I've been unable to see footage of him.

Is he the type of tight end that we covet, or not?

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Also, I'm kind of glad O'Dowd didn't declare (at least I think he didn't). I think that center is not the priority for the team when it comes to upgrading the O-Line, and we could therefore get a good LT or G this year.

If we could somehow land Bulaga and Iupati, or Bulaga and Ducasse, or Iupati and Ducasse, I'd be a very happy camper.

This draft is making me nuts. Usually by now I have a couple of guys that I want the team to get, but right now, that's not happening. Some days I want us to completely rebuild the O-Line with our first three picks, and other times I say completely ignore the O-line and go Spiller or another flashy player, or other times I say bring on a defensive overhaul with Earl Thomas or Brandon Graham or something. It's driving me nuts.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Hartwig has been the worse center in the league the past two years. We definatly need to upgrade the center position. I have come to the conclusion that Starks is our franchise LT although I believe he'd be best suited at RT. I'd draft Trent Williams or Baluga at 18, then draft the best available C in the third.

Comment

• I'm in the same boat too Goose, on one day the o-line is the big concern then on another days it's the defense. Atleast it's keeping me on my toes. :)

Perhaps in a perfect world it could go:
                                1. Bulaga
                                2. Chad Jones
                                3. Ducasse (highly doubt he falls to the 3rd)

or..

1. Earl Thomas
                                2. Mike Iupati
                                3. Gerhart
                                Last edited by Steelersfan4life; 01-18-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information