2009/2010 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
    some of the latest mocks ive read have us taking kyle wilson...

of all the videos i've watched of him i just gotta say i'm not really all that impressed...

anyone feel otherwise?
    I like Kyle Wilson but I think he might be only a number 2 corner in the league. I think Haden is the best corner in the draft and the one worth a first round pick.

I like wilson and Mcourty but I think they should be late ones at best.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• Your Big Boards at the moment?

I will go with.........

1.Joe Haden CB Florida

2.Earl Thomas S Texas

3.Trent Williams OT Oklahoma

4.CJ Spiller RB Clemson

5.Maurkice Pouncy C/G Florida

6.Mike Iupati G Idaho

7.Dan Williams DT Tennessee

8.Brandon Graham LB Michigan

9.Rolando Mcclain LB Alabama

10.Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri

11.Kyle Wilson CB Boise State

12. Jared O'drick DT Penn State

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
      Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• 1. Joe Haden

2. Earl Thomas

3. Brandon Graham

4. CJ Spiller

5. Trent Williams

6. Bruce Campbell

7. Sean Weatherspoon

8. Mike Iupati

9. Maukrice Pouncey

10. Dan Williams

11. Devin McCourtney

12. Kyle Wilson

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• Mine would be:

1. Earl Thomas

2. Joe Haden

3. C.J. Spiller

4. Trent Williams

5. Brandon Graham

6. Maurkice Pouncey

7. Mike Iupati

8. Sean Weatherspoon

9. Dan Williams

10. Jared Odrick

That is based off of talent. If I was making the pick and factoring in need and the availability of guys in other rounds, that list would be slightly different, but not by much.

Comment

• my thoughts on some of the usual suspects. listed in general order of preference factoring out those who are clearly out of our reach:

Haden - it'd be great. he would step in and start NLT the bye week most likely. it would actually strengthen two positions, b/c our nickel corner would then be either Willie G. or perhaps Burnett/Lewis if they flash. Either way it would be likely better than DeShea was last season, when his decline became somewhat apparent. That said, I'm just not in favor of trading up in this draft. while we may lack major needs, we have quite a few minor ones. accordingly, we need to preserve our (and perhaps even add an additional) round 2-4 pick.

Graham - he's a luxury, I get that. but he has one of the highest ceilings - and highest floors, for that matter - in this draft. he's just a really safe pick at an ultra-important position. if you're truly going BPA, I think something strange would have to happen (i.e., Haden dropping, which won't happen) for him not to be top-of-board at 1.18.

Dan Williams - I still think there's an excellent possibility we draft NT in the first. quite simply, our defense is hosed if Hampton goes down for any length of time. love Hoke, but he was 29 the last time he had to shoulder the load. he's 35 now. I wouldn't love this pick, but given how rarely team's have a chance to draft a good NT, I would understand it.

Mike Iupati - been re-watching clips on this kid, and I just could not argue with drafting him. I don't care if he's a guard. he pulls so effectively, something I don't think Kemo is quite nimble enough to really excel at. Kemo at RG & Iupati at LG would give us two erasers on the line in the running game, and allow us to match up better physically with the Ravens' front. my only hesitation is that we've not given Urbik enough opportunity to resemble a solution up front - but perhaps we could swap him for a 4th or 5th.

Earl Thomas - I put him in the Dan Williams category - I'm not going to dance if he's the pick per se, but I'd certainly be on-board. It is perfectly clear to me that CB and OG are the weakest starting positions we have on this team right now. I like Thomas as a safety, but my hesitation is his lack of experience @ corner, which is really what we need right now. I also doubt whether he will even be there for us, TBH. add to that my belief that we'll find corner help in rd 2 (see below), and there you have it.

Spiller - plenty of reasons why not. logically, we pass and find a banger like Blount or Tate or Dixon later in the draft. but that kind of thinking leads you to pass on greatness every now and again. I'm very torn.

Trent Williams - he'd be a nice get I suppose, but it may well be a lateral move for us, ensuring that Willie Colon doesn't get re-signed when he reaches FA. with our first, I'm looking to plus up for the future, you know?

Pouncey - looks great in pass pro, but like someone said up above, there's not a lot of tape to evaluate him on traditional running plays. more gut feeling than anything, but I would pass until rd 2, or pursue a JD Walton later in the draft.

McClain - this may be blasphemy, but I feel he's a 2nd-3rd round value. for him to go in pat willis territory in the draft, he should be looking like fugging charles jefferson in fast times, and I just don't see it, not even close. he may not be 'slow' to diagnose, but he's not elite. he's not a hard charger, tends to just gravitate towards the play. and every tackle seems to be made up around the ball carrier's shoulder pads. he is going to get run over - a lot - his first few seasons unless he develops better technique. the chron's disease isn't overly concerning; but I wouldn't dismiss it entirely, either.

Weatherspoon - I just see 4-3 OLB here. another high tackler that's going to get steamrolled early. I know a lot of folks here like him, but my $0.02 are if we're going with a luxury pick in the first, then Graham >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spoon.

Kyle Wilson - I'm wary of DBs that just drift up the draft board over the offseason - tye hill syndrome. conventional wisdom had Wilson a 3rd rounder after the bowl season concluded. I like him enough, but good god not with the 18th. to me, the sweet spot for corners in this draft is early to mid round 2. I believe one of Wilson, Jackson, McCourty, Robinson, Cox will be available sans trade-up when we come up to pick in the second, and I haven't determined any major separation amongst that group.
            Last edited by lance uppercut; 03-25-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• couplascenarios

>>>>>>

1.) Mike Iupati
              2.) Kareem Jackson
              3.) Sean Lee (minor trade-up, we part with our natural 5th)
              4.) Cam Thomas
              5a.) Legarrette Blount
              5b.) TJ Ward

>>>>>>

1.) Earl Thomas
              2.) Terrence Cody (we part with a 5th and 6th to move up ahead of SD)
              3.) Toby Gerhart
              4.) JD Walton
              5a.) Alterraun Verner
              5b.) O'Brian Schofield

Comment

• Originally posted by lance uppercut View Post
                my thoughts on some of the usual suspects. listed in general order of preference factoring out those who are clearly out of our reach:

Haden - it'd be great. he would step in and start NLT the bye week most likely. it would actually strengthen two positions, b/c our nickel corner would then be either Willie G. or perhaps Burnett/Lewis if they flash. Either way it would be likely better than DeShea was last season, when his decline became somewhat apparent. That said, I'm just not in favor of trading up in this draft. while we may lack major needs, we have quite a few minor ones. accordingly, we need to preserve our (and perhaps even add an additional) round 2-4 pick.

Graham - he's a luxury, I get that. but he has one of the highest ceilings - and highest floors, for that matter - in this draft. he's just a really safe pick at an ultra-important position. if you're truly going BPA, I think something strange would have to happen (i.e., Haden dropping, which won't happen) for him not to be top-of-board at 1.18.

Dan Williams - I still think there's an excellent possibility we draft NT in the first. quite simply, our defense is hosed if Hampton goes down for any length of time. love Hoke, but he was 29 the last time he had to shoulder the load. he's 35 now. I wouldn't love this pick, but given how rarely team's have a chance to draft a good NT, I would understand it.

Mike Iupati - been re-watching clips on this kid, and I just could not argue with drafting him. I don't care if he's a guard. he pulls so effectively, something I don't think Kemo is quite nimble enough to really excel at. Kemo at RG & Iupati at LG would give us two erasers on the line in the running game, and allow us to match up better physically with the Ravens' front. my only hesitation is that we've not given Urbik enough opportunity to resemble a solution up front - but perhaps we could swap him for a 4th or 5th.

Earl Thomas - I put him in the Dan Williams category - I'm not going to dance if he's the pick per se, but I'd certainly be on-board. It is perfectly clear to me that CB and OG are the weakest starting positions we have on this team right now. I like Thomas as a safety, but my hesitation is his lack of experience @ corner, which is really what we need right now. I also doubt whether he will even be there for us, TBH. add to that my belief that we'll find corner help in rd 2 (see below), and there you have it.

Spiller - plenty of reasons why not. logically, we pass and find a banger like Blount or Tate or Dixon later in the draft. but that kind of thinking leads you to pass on greatness every now and again. I'm very torn.

Trent Williams - he'd be a nice get I suppose, but it may well be a lateral move for us, ensuring that Willie Colon doesn't get re-signed when he reaches FA. with our first, I'm looking to plus up for the future, you know?

Pouncey - looks great in pass pro, but like someone said up above, there's not a lot of tape to evaluate him on traditional running plays. more gut feeling than anything, but I would pass until rd 2, or pursue a JD Walton later in the draft.

McClain - this may be blasphemy, but I feel he's a 2nd-3rd round value. for him to go in pat willis territory in the draft, he should be looking like fugging charles jefferson in fast times, and I just don't see it, not even close. he may not be 'slow' to diagnose, but he's not elite. he's not a hard charger, tends to just gravitate towards the play. and every tackle seems to be made up around the ball carrier's shoulder pads. he is going to get run over - a lot - his first few seasons unless he develops better technique. the chron's disease isn't overly concerning; but I wouldn't dismiss it entirely, either.

Weatherspoon - I just see 4-3 OLB here. another high tackler that's going to get steamrolled early. I know a lot of folks here like him, but my $0.02 are if we're going with a luxury pick in the first, then Graham >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spoon.

Kyle Wilson - I'm wary of DBs that just drift up the draft board over the offseason - tye hill syndrome. conventional wisdom had Wilson a 3rd rounder after the bowl season concluded. I like him enough, but good god not with the 18th. to me, the sweet spot for corners in this draft is early to mid round 2. I believe one of Wilson, Jackson, McCourty, Robinson, Cox will be available sans trade-up when we come up to pick in the second, and I haven't determined any major separation amongst that group.
                I have to say that this assessment is about 100% spot on

only places where i would nit-pick would be i think kemo is actually great at pulling, and i guess i am higher on earl thomas's athletic ability than you are

but overall you are correct sir

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

couplascenarios

>>>>>>

1.) Mike Iupati
                  2.) Kareem Jackson
                  4.) Cam Thomas
                  5a.) Legarrette Blount
                  5b.) TJ Ward

>>>>>>

1.) Earl Thomas
                  3.) Toby Gerhart
                  4.) JD Walton
                  5a.) Alterraun Verner
                  5b.) O'Brian Schofield
                  Love either of them scenaio's! I dont know enough about Kareem Jackson tbh, and i dont know Verner at all. But that haul would be incredible. I'd say about 4 starters from them players...that is a successfull draft imo!

Comment

couplascenarios

1.) Mike Iupati
                    2.) Kareem Jackson
                    4.) Cam Thomas
                    5a.) Legarrette Blount
                    5b.) TJ Ward
                    1. I don't see Iupati's value here, frankly; he looks like Kemo-plus, a physical guy who will struggle to be coached up to be a successful OL. No at 1.18 unless he can also play OT.
                    2. Jackson looks like a very good NCB IMO. (He's 5'10".) We have that in Burnett; what we need is a starter opposite Ike. In R2, I like Ghee, AOA, and possibly Spievey, with the size and speed to stay with WRs.
                    3. Lee might not last to this spot, but a good pick if so.
                    4. No way does CT drop this far.
                    5a. Pass: DND.
                    5b. Meh.

Originally posted by lance uppercut View Post

1.) Earl Thomas
                    3.) Toby Gerhart
                    4.) JD Walton
                    5a.) Alterraun Verner
                    5b.) O'Brian Schofield
                    1. Giddyap.
                    2. Pass: DND, do not move up, no how, no way, no thanks. Better options later (Troup, Linval Joseph, Cam Thomas).
                    3. OK, fine; also like Ben Tate in this vicinity, or Joique Bell later.
                    4. Not sure Walton lasts this long, might be a 2c-3c; if so, by all means.
                    5a. Or take a chance on Walter Thurmond: if he comes back from injury 100%, he's easily one of the best CBs of the whole draft.
                    5b. I'd be willing to take a shot, later, but his metrics are not the best even pre-injury. I'd look at Arthur Moats, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, Clifton Geathers here, Worilds and Koa Misi earlier. Metrics: VJ of 35+ is prime indicator with OLB, and KEI (VJ+lifts+BJ) > 70 secondary. People are too in love with Schofield, IMO.

Comment

• Just heard that the Patriots might trade up in the 1st to draft Kareem Jackson...he's projected to go between picks 10 - 18

Thats pretty shocking imo.

Comment

• My big board:

1. C.J. Spiller - guys like him come around every couple of years, and are very rare types of players. If used correctly, can be a nightmare.

2. Mike Iupati - similarly, good guard prospects aren't that common, especially ones with his size, power, and athleticism. Could become the best guard in the league for the next decade.

3. Joe Haden - Need DB help and he's the best DB that could be available with our pick.

4. Rolando McClain - big, physical, intelligent type of LB that would be the perfect replacement for Farrior and partner for Timmons.

5. Earl Thomas - don't like his size for a safety, but he's a playmaker. History of high round Longhorns worries me a bit though, as it's been a while since a Longhorns DB reaches potential.

6. Brandon Graham - definitely not a need, but he could become a monster, like Woodley is. Woodley and Graham would be beastly.

7. Maurkice Pouncey - not as high on him as others, liked Mack better, but he's still a good center and we definitely need one. Great size and strength is a plus though.

8. Trent Williams - struggling at LT is a major turnoff, but he was great at RT and only played LT for one season, so he could still improve. Great athlete.

9. Sean Weatherspoon - he's a much better fit at 4-3, but would still be a nice addition. Outspoken guy, hard worker, physically reminds me of Timmons, which gets me to thinking about how well two Timmons would work in our defense.

10. Dan Williams - definitely not a fan of getting a NT in the first round, but we could use one, and need one. He's the only one I'd like in the first round at NT, but definitely not a great pick for me. Would be "Okay, cool, we filled the need, solid player."

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakey View Post
                          Just heard that the Patriots might trade up in the 1st to draft Kareem Jackson...he's projected to go between picks 10 - 18

Thats pretty shocking imo.
                          Yeah, let the pre-draft rumors commence.

Earl Thomas is going top-10; Earl Thomas is dropping like a rock for unspecified reasons.

Ad nauseam.

Comment

• At this point, most teams draft boards are close to being set, and everything else is just smokescreens and misinformation to trick the other teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                              5. Earl Thomas - don't like his size for a safety, but he's a playmaker. History of high round Longhorns worries me a bit though, as it's been a while since a Longhorns DB reaches potential.
                              Ryan Clark, 2002 draft, age 22: 5'10", 195#.

Troy Polamalu, 2003 draft, age 22: 5'10", 206#.

Earl Thomas, 2010 draft, age 20: 5'10", 208#.

Comment

• Originally posted by skarocksoi View Post
                                At this point, most teams draft boards are close to being set, and everything else is just smokescreens and misinformation to trick the other teams.
                                Actually, one or two weeks before the draft is when the "rumors" are close to being accurate and we get a real feel of how it may go down (i.e. Tyson Jackson being inserted in the top 5 of mocks out of nowhere, Jerod Mayo a top 10 pick, Steelers and Timmons / Hood, etc.).

The stuff right now and the past month or so, is what I don't pay attention to.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information