2009/2010 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pitt View Post
    Actually, one or two weeks before the draft is when the "rumors" are close to being accurate and we get a real feel of how it may go down (i.e. Tyson Jackson being inserted in the top 5 of mocks out of nowhere, Jerod Mayo a top 10 pick, Steelers and Timmons / Hood, etc.).

The stuff right now and the past month or so, is what I don't pay attention to.
    Goes both ways: close to the draft, Gosselin posts a very accurate mock based on insider info (e.g., Tyson Jackson), so yes, that comes into focus; but also, the last few weeks are rife with rumor and innuendo that never pan, and are the product of draftnik hysteria or GM poker-playing.

In short: you ain't gonna know till it goes down. I tend to discount rumor and stick to how I have the BB parsed from weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
      Ryan Clark, 2002 draft, age 22: 5'10", 195#.

Troy Polamalu, 2003 draft, age 22: 5'10", 206#.

Earl Thomas, 2010 draft, age 20: 5'10", 208#.
      Yeah, I've seen that, but I don't know, when I see them play, Thomas just seems smaller. Maybe he plays smaller, or something.

Don't really know why.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• sorry guys that i have been out for awhile, i had some health issues.

Matthew 19:26
        Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible

Comment

• i thought you guys may want to read this

On Tuesday, we speculated that the Minnesota Vikings might go with University of Florida center Maurkice Pouncey at No. 30 overall, given their needs for help on the interior of their offensive line. Turns out, he might not make it that far.

Ken Laird of 1250 ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh is hearing that the Steelers are "very high" on Pouncey, and are considering him at No. 18 overall. If he's taken by the Steelers, he may be shifting back to right guard -- where he played 11 of 13 games as a freshman -- because current center Justin Hartwig is under contract through 2012.

Laird adds that with CB high on the Steelers' draft wish list, they would jump at the chance to take Joe Haden if he somehow fell to them. As an alternative, they're hoping that Alabama's Kareem Jackson falls to them in the second round.

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible

Comment

• i all so thought this was interesting

Earlier this week, we discussed how the draft plans were being affected (or not) for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the wake of Ben Roethlisberger's latest brush with off-field malfeasance. The word from Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert was that the team wasn't going to go after any of the elite QBs in the draft this year.

ESPN's Bruce Feldman tweeted on Tuesday that the Steelers' QB coach was at Ole Miss to work out QB Jevan Snead, and we have to ponder whether or not they'll be taking a "non-elite" QB this April. We heard earlier from ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the team seemed fine going with Dennis Dixon should anything happen to Big Ben, and that Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich were being considered for new deals. If that's the case, this is probably just getting a good scout on the options available in later rounds, should things not work out with Batch and/or Leftwich.

Comment

• Originally posted by steel man View Post
              sorry guys that i have been out for awhile, i had some health issues.
              Yeah, I had noticed you were gone, welcome back!

Are you better now? Hope all is well.

We've been discussing Pouncey and Snead a little bit, basically it comes up to this:

Snead would be nice in the 4th or 5th, Pouncey in the first, or with a small trade down.

Also, everyone's posting their big boards.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

i thought you guys may want to read this

On Tuesday, we speculated that the Minnesota Vikings might go with University of Florida center Maurkice Pouncey at No. 30 overall, given their needs for help on the interior of their offensive line. Turns out, he might not make it that far.

Ken Laird of 1250 ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh is hearing that the Steelers are "very high" on Pouncey, and are considering him at No. 18 overall. If he's taken by the Steelers, he may be shifting back to right guard -- where he played 11 of 13 games as a freshman -- because current center Justin Hartwig is under contract through 2012.

Laird adds that with CB high on the Steelers' draft wish list, they would jump at the chance to take Joe Haden if he somehow fell to them. As an alternative, they're hoping that Alabama's Kareem Jackson falls to them in the second round.
                I really hope we wouldn't take Pouncey at 18. I think he is more of a late first round kind of guy. I think he'll be a good pro, don't get me wrong. But i'm not sold that he'll be a great one yet. Wouldn't be mad if they took him unless there were far better options on the board.

PRAYING FOR SPILLER!!! :D haha

And i'd be more than happy with Haden at 18 hahaha. i'd even trade up for him, though i have heard some scouts question if he'll ever be like a Revis-type. Now that is setting the bar high, but for a CB being taken this high you kinda expect that somewhat.

Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                  Yeah, let the pre-draft rumors commence.

Earl Thomas is going top-10; Earl Thomas is dropping like a rock for unspecified reasons.

Ad nauseam.
                  yeah i heard that on ESPN today that Earl Thomas is now a 10-15 pick. all just speculation. not really buying into anything that is said considering anything can happen come draft day, but could be interesting.

I think if one of the elite OL or Haden fall outside the 12 or 13 picks, they should trade up to grab them.

STILL PRAYING FOR SPILLER AT 18 THOUGH!!! :D

Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by BJJ3rd View Post
                    I really hope we wouldn't take Pouncey at 18. I think he is more of a late first round kind of guy. I think he'll be a good pro, don't get me wrong. But i'm not sold that he'll be a great one yet. Wouldn't be mad if they took him unless there were far better options on the board.

PRAYING FOR SPILLER!!! :D haha

And i'd be more than happy with Haden at 18 hahaha. i'd even trade up for him, though i have heard some scouts question if he'll ever be like a Revis-type. Now that is setting the bar high, but for a CB being taken this high you kinda expect that somewhat.
                    Revis wasn't considered a Revis type either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitt View Post
                      Revis wasn't considered a Revis type either.
                      Yes i'm well aware of that. never said he was.

Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

• Couple of updates:

- We might finally be looking to add a true blocking FB.
                        http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/25/s...true-fullback/

- Miami beat writer says team is considering taking Iupati at #12.
                        http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...el-iupati.html

- Anthony Dixon ran a 4.61 and a 4.62 at his Pro Day.
                        http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/25/rb-d...state-pro-day/

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mr. Goosemahn;2087511]Yeah, I had noticed you were gone, welcome back!

Are you better now?
                          Hope all is well.

for the sake of my 3 daughters i hope so, about 3 years ago i had a mild heart attack and a few weeks ago i had a mild stoke........

i am 34 6'0" 225 lbs around 7% body fat, i played football and baseball all through college, still play in a bb league, play in a flag football league, play in a softball league, have gold gloves in boxing, 4 different black belts, and i have been doing P-90X (getting ready to start Insanity), not to sound cocky but i am strong as can been and tough as nails so you would think nothing about me would be unhealthy or bad. the reason i am telling you guys all of this is because i feel like this is a time for a life lesson. the reason both of those happened was because of STRESS, people talk about cancer and aids as being big killers, well stress kills more and causes more problems (including cancer) then anything else on earth. most of you guys are young and just remember you are not guarantee tomorrow and do not burden yourself with the small things.

now back to things that make us happy....the Pittsburgh Steelers

thanks Goose for asking

Comment

• [QUOTE=steel man;2087660]
                            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post

Are you better now?
                            Hope all is well.

for the sake of my 3 daughters i hope so, about 3 years ago i had a mild heart attack and a few weeks ago i had a mild stoke........

i am 34 6'0" 225 lbs around 7% body fat, i played football and baseball all through college, still play in a bb league, play in a flag football league, play in a softball league, have gold gloves in boxing, 4 different black belts, and i have been doing P-90X (getting ready to start Insanity), not to sound cocky but i am strong as can been and tough as nails so you would think nothing about me would be unhealthy or bad. the reason i am telling you guys all of this is because i feel like this is a time for a life lesson. the reason both of those happened was because of STRESS, people talk about cancer and aids as being big killers, well stress kills more and causes more problems (including cancer) then anything else on earth. most of you guys are young and just remember you are not guarantee tomorrow and do not burden yourself with the small things.

thanks Goose for asking
                            Do you know what the stress is about?

Comment

the reason both of those happened was because of STRESS, people talk about cancer and aids as being big killers, well stress kills more and causes more problems (including cancer) then anything else on earth. most of you guys are young and just remember you are not guarantee tomorrow and do not burden yourself with the small things.
                              very good point and hope all will be well in the future for you.

Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

• [QUOTE=steel man;2087660]
                                Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post

Are you better now?
                                Hope all is well.

thanks Goose for asking
                                Aw man, that's tough.

Do you usually have any stress-relieving activities?

I'd read that working out and exercising relieved stress, but I guess it's not enough in your case. For me, coming onto these forums is actually a stress buster. Also watching prospect highlights and NFL network and stuff, and obviously hanging out with friends.

Of course, I'm guessing our stress activities are different. I have work and exams and studying and stuff, but it can get pretty tiring.

Anyway, glad you're back, and I hope everything gets better.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information