Early Needs going into 2010 Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree wiht Haden from Fla.
    But I still hate the thought of drafting lineman early but when they are that good it is worth moving up for and therefore I wouldnt be crushed if they moved up to get some big OL (Okung) to help Big Ben out.

I like the sexy pick Spiller but folks are recognizing him more and more and downt know if he will be there when PItt goes on the clock. It will be close.

Maybe grab the big OL and see if RB from Fresno State is there in the 2nd rd (although he is no Spiller) perhaps its Spiller or no one.

Thoughts??
    Salty Dawg

Comment

Originally posted by Saltydawg View Post
      But I still hate the thought of drafting lineman early but when they are that good it is worth moving up for and therefore I wouldnt be crushed if they moved up to get some big OL (Okung) to help Big Ben out.

I like the sexy pick Spiller but folks are recognizing him more and more and downt know if he will be there when PItt goes on the clock. It will be close.

Maybe grab the big OL and see if RB from Fresno State is there in the 2nd rd (although he is no Spiller) perhaps its Spiller or no one.

Thoughts??
      welcome aboard.

I think we could use another runner as well, but believe that's a secondary need. I could get onboard with drafting montario hardesty in the 3rd, or ben tate in the 4th. but too much age on defense to go chasing spiller or jahvid best on day one.

as for OL - I could see taking Bulaga or Davis if they were available.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltydawg View Post

Thoughts??
        Originally posted by lance uppercut View Post
        welcome aboard.

I think we could use another runner as well, but believe that's a secondary need. I could get onboard with drafting montario hardesty in the 3rd, or ben tate in the 4th. but too much age on defense to go chasing spiller or jahvid best on day one.

as for OL - I could see taking Bulaga or Davis if they were available.
        As exciting as it would be to get Spiller or Best I agree that defense is the top priority (secondary, ILB, NT) and O-Line, depending on who is available when we are picking.

To keep it simple I'll stick to the first round for now. Who of these guys are worth the #18 pick in the draft right now?

Cornerback
        - Joe Haden - He'll be long gone
        - Patrick Robinson - I have no clue if he's worth it

Safety
        - Taylor Mays - Tons of talent but does he have a prayer of picking up our defense?
        - Earl Thomas - I wouldn't be unhappy with him

ILB
        - Rolando McClain - God I wish he'd still be there. He's my favorite player in the draft
        - Brandon Spikes - Not sure if I like him as a pro.

NT
        - Mount Cody - I like him but I'm scared by how gigantic he could become
        - Dan Williams - Don't really know much about him. Is he a 3-4 NT?

Comment

Was thinking through our weaknesses and needs last night and my take is;

-If Big Snack or Clark leaves, they become our instant biggt needs.
          Its pretty much a given that Willie Parker is gone, so a 2nd runningback is a need.

-Our corners are pretty much the biggest weakness in terms of starting talent, so that is a need...the jury is still out on Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett, but ive got a feeling one of them might be tried at FS. I like Lewis as a CB, but im not sure id be happy going into next year with William Gai, Lewis and Burnett as our only options, a top flight CB would be nice.

-Our o-line still isnt up to par, but i cant see who would be replaced...when healthy Chris Kemo is a good starter, especially in the run game. Justin Hartwig is solid and cheap, albeit not spectcular. Trai Essex came on strong, but he is still average. The coahces seem enfactuated with Willie Colon, so i cant see him losing out. Max Starks has been up and down, great at times, poor at others. I like our interior depth tbh, Ramon Foster, Craig Urbik, Doug Legursky are all talented backups. Our tackle depth is another matter...Tony Hills and Ramon Foster...thats it. Tackle depth, and a possible starter is a big need imo.

-Our depth at OLB is prett much piss poor...Andre Frazer is the only possible fill in...i wouldnt be happy with Patrick Bailey, Rocky Boiman or any other of our backups filling in if Deebo or Woodley go down. Also they never get a break, if we had another good passrusher we could keep the starters fresher, another plus.

-2nd TE/FB cold be upgraded, Matt Spaeth doest really fit. I like David Johnson allot as a blocker, but he doesnt bring much as a catching threat.

-Other then that, depth on the d-line and o-line are needed.

I think are needs are in this order:

- NT
          - S
          - RB
          - CB
          - OT
          - OLB
          - TE/FB
          - D-Line

Can anyone give me some targets at those positions? I aint watched much college bal this year X'D

Cheers bro's!

Comment

Originally posted by AgentM View Post
            As exciting as it would be to get Spiller or Best I agree that defense is the top priority (secondary, ILB, NT) and O-Line, depending on who is available when we are picking.

If Noel Devine declares, I'd absolutely love to get him in the second. Spiller would be a good pick at #18, Best a bit of a reach. And as you mentioned, second RB is not the top priority right now.

To keep it simple I'll stick to the first round for now. Who of these guys are worth the #18 pick in the draft right now?

Cornerback
            - Joe Haden - He'll be long gone Yup, won't last.
            - Patrick Robinson - I have no clue if he's worth it He's worth it. Incredible athlete, very fast, physical. Is getting compared to Antonio Cromartie a lot, who is also a great athlete.

Safety
            - Taylor Mays - Tons of talent but does he have a prayer of picking up our defense? He's a smart guy, just has bad instincts. He'll have to talk a lot with Troy to be mentored and pick up on subtle details from quarterbacks and stuff, things that Troy is a master at.
            - Earl Thomas - I wouldn't be unhappy with him He's a good player.

ILB
            - Rolando McClain - God I wish he'd still be there. He's my favorite player in the draft Indeed, could be the next Patrick Willis.
            - Brandon Spikes - Not sure if I like him as a pro. He's a second round prospect right now.

NT
            - Mount Cody - I like him but I'm scared by how gigantic he could become Exactly, that's his biggest knock. Pretty much the same problem we have with Hampton, though, but Hampton is already a great player, and if Cody comes into camp out of shape he'll get the diet training and his development could be delayed/stunted.
            - Dan Williams - Don't really know much about him. Is he a 3-4 NT? He could be a great 3-4 NT. He's big and agile for a guy his size. Could very well wind up being the pick, as Cody is beginning to slide as he's very one-dimensional, only stopping the run. Some are saying Cody could become a 2nd rounder.
            Was thinking through our weaknesses and needs last night and my take is;

-If Big Snack or Clark leaves, they become our instant biggt needs. Yup.
            Its pretty much a given that Willie Parker is gone, so a 2nd runningback is a need. Yeah, a speedy one to complement Mendenhall.

-Our corners are pretty much the biggest weakness in terms of starting talent, so that is a need...the jury is still out on Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett, but ive got a feeling one of them might be tried at FS. I like Lewis as a CB, but im not sure id be happy going into next year with William Gai, Lewis and Burnett as our only options, a top flight CB would be nice.

I don't know if the team would be willing to take a 1st round corner with two young guys that have yet to play. We usually don't take corners very high. Taylor was a 4th rounder, Townsend a 4th too, Gai a 5th, Madison undrafted. The last high-pick CB we took was Colclough, and he was a total failure. The team might want to give them more of a chance to play. I'd rather sign a guy, Leigh Bodden is the best example as most others will be restricted free agents.

-Our o-line still isnt up to par, but i cant see who would be replaced...when healthy Chris Kemo is a good starter, especially in the run game. Justin Hartwig is solid and cheap, albeit not spectcular. Trai Essex came on strong, but he is still average. The coahces seem enfactuated with Willie Colon, so i cant see him losing out. Max Starks has been up and down, great at times, poor at others. I like our interior depth tbh, Ramon Foster, Craig Urbik, Doug Legursky are all talented backups. Our tackle depth is another matter...Tony Hills and Ramon Foster...thats it. Tackle depth, and a possible starter is a big need imo.

Yeah, we need a tackle and badly. I'd actually like to get Iupati at #18. The guy is very strong and a monster in the run game. He's got great size for a guard, and Scott and others have been saying that he might be able to switch to guard, kind of like Brandon Albert did back in 2008.

-Our depth at OLB is prett much piss poor...Andre Frazer is the only possible fill in...i wouldnt be happy with Patrick Bailey, Rocky Boiman or any other of our backups filling in if Deebo or Woodley go down. Also they never get a break, if we had another good passrusher we could keep the starters fresher, another plus.

Agreed.

-2nd TE/FB cold be upgraded, Matt Spaeth doest really fit. I like David Johnson allot as a blocker, but he doesnt bring much as a catching threat.

Spaeth had a deplorable year. 5 catches, 25 yards, 1 td, and a fumble. His rookie season was better (5 catches, 34 yards, 3 td's, no fumble).

-Other then that, depth on the d-line and o-line are needed.

I think are needs are in this order:

- NT
            Dan Williams - Tennessee - 1st round
            Terrence Cody - Alabama - 1st round
            Torrell Troup - Central Florida - mid rounds
            Kade Weston - Georgia - mid rounds
            Cam Thomas - North Carolina - mid rounds
            Phil Taylor - baylor - midrounds

- S
            Taylor Mays - USC - 1st
            Earl Thomas - Texas - 1st
            Reshad Jones - Georgia - 2nd
            Nate Allen - USF - 2nd
            Kam Chancellor - virginia tech - 3rd

- RB
            CJ Spiller - Clemson - 1st round
            Jahvid Best - UCLA - 1st round
            Noel Devine - West Virginia - 2nd round
            Charles Scott - LSU - 2nd round
            Montario Hardesty - Tennessee - 2nd round
            Toby Gerhart - Stanford 2/3 round

- CB
            Joe Haden - Florida - 1st round
            Patrick Robinson - Florida State - 1st round
            Donovan Warren - Michigan - 2nd round
            Perrish Cox - Oklahoma State - 2nd Round
            Brandon Ghee - Wake Forest - 2/3 round
            Trevard Lindley - Kentucky - 2/3 round
            Myron Lewis - Vanderbilt - 3rd round
            Syd'Quan Thompson - Cal- 3rd round
            Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - Indiana (PA) - 3rd round

- OT
            Russell Okung - Oklahoma State - 1st round
            Anthony Davis - Rutgers - 1st round
            Trent Williams - Oklahoma - 1st round
            Bryan Bulaga - Iowa - 1st round
            Bruce Campbell - Maryland - 1st round
            Vlad ducassee - Umass - 2nd round
            Charles brown - USC - 2nd round
            Selvish Capers - West Virginia - 2nd round
            Jason Fox - Miami - 2nd round
            Kyle Calloway - Iowa - 2/3 round
            Jared Veldheer - Hillsdale - 3rd round
            Ciron Black - LSU - 3rd round

- OLB (for us, so DE tweeners)
            Brandon Graham - Michigan - 1st round
            Sergio Kindle - Texas - 1st round
            Greg Hardy - Ole Miss - 2nd round
            Jerry hughes - TCU - 2nd round
            George Selvie - USF - 2nd round
            Eric Norwood - South Carolina - 2/3 round (could up at ILB in a 3-4 though)
            O'Brien Schofield - Wisconsin - 3rd round
            Brandon Lang - Troy - 3/4 round
            Austen lane - murray state - 4/5 round

- TE/FB
            Garrett Graham - Wisconsin - 3/4 round
            Tony Moeaki - Iowa - mid rounds
            Michael Hoomanawanui - Illinois - mid rounds

- D-Line
            Ndamukong Suh - Nebraska - 1st overall
            Gerald McCoy - Oklahoma - 1st
            Jared Odrick - Penn State - 1st
            Arthur Jones - Syracuse - 1st
            Corey Wootton - Northwestern - 2nd
            Tyson Alualu - Cal - 2/3 round
            Mike Neal - Purdue - 2/3 round
            Vince Oghobaase - Duke - 3rd round
            Brandon Deadrick - Alabama - mid rounds

Can anyone give me some targets at those positions? I aint watched much college bal this year X'D

Cheers bro's!
            Many more could appear, depending on who declares.
            Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn; 01-06-2010, 11:18 AM.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by AgentM View Post

Cornerback
              - Joe Haden - He'll be long gone
              - Patrick Robinson - I have no clue if he's worth it

Safety
              - Taylor Mays - Tons of talent but does he have a prayer of picking up our defense?
              - Earl Thomas - I wouldn't be unhappy with him

ILB
              - Rolando McClain - God I wish he'd still be there. He's my favorite player in the draft- Brandon Spikes - Not sure if I like him as a pro.

NT
              - Mount Cody - I like him but I'm scared by how gigantic he could become
              - Dan Williams - Don't really know much about him. Is he a 3-4 NT?
              Id love to see McClain there as well. vEry smart player. I would like to know more abgout Baluga or Iapati but they culd be solid if Davis is gone and of course Okung is as well.
              Salty Dawg

Comment

RD1- Earl Thomas FS Texas

Thomas is a ballhawk who plays a very complete safety. He can and will support the run, he can blitz, he will throw his body around. Only negative he's 5-10 195lbs. He also is only 20 years old.

RD2- Jason Fox OT Miami
                Max Starks has proved time and time again he is not an NFL caliber LT. Fox has the size, feet, and hands to play LT. This also allows us to move Colon to Guard and really improves the entire offensive line.

RD3- Daryl Washington ILB TCU

Farrior lost a step but this kid can fly. He is a 4.6 forty guy who makes plays sideline to sideline.

RD4- Kyle Wilson CB Boise St

Probably our biggest problem at CB is dropped picks. This kid has 11 career picks and took two to the house last year.

RD5- Eric Olsen OC Notre Dame

The one bright spot on the Golden Domes o-line. Only gave up one sack last season.

RD6- Brandon Banks WR/KR Kansas

Lights out return man and a pretty good receicer. Imagine having Holmes, Wallace, and Banks with their sub 4.3 forties on the field at the same time.

RD7- Michael Smith RB Arkansas

Parker is probably gone. So we get a nice change of pace back from Mendenhall. Smith was all set for a break out season but got injured. A lot like Warren Dunn.

Comment

what do u guys think of chad jones -s-lsu... my personal favorite in the draft.. not best safety but id like him in the second

sig by me
                  Go buckeyes,steelers, cavs

PM me for jersey transfers

Comment

Originally posted by steelcrew43 View Post
                    what do u guys think of chad jones -s-lsu... my personal favorite in the draft.. not best safety but id like him in the second
                    I like him a lot. I hope he gets drafted in round 2 as well. I really hope the Steelers focus on defense in this draft. Maybe take an OL early, but focus mainly on the aging defense. I see post about how the team will be beter when Smith and Troy P come back. The assumption is that they can come back and play an entire season. I think there is little tread left on the tire in both cases. We need to start moving in younger players throughout the defense.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information