2010/2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by K Train View Post
    heard they are working pouncey with the first team LG alot of the time and second team C and RG....they are preparing him to play all 3 spots lol

i also heard hood simply crushed every lineman on one on ones again yesterday and gibson is tearing **** up off the edge with both speed and bull rush
    Can't wait to see Ziggy playing for us.

Also, I read today that Jonathan Dwyer will have a "featured role" in Saturday's game to see what he can do, given the limited amount of practice he's had.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Tuesday’s practice was conducted under the most brutal conditions so far this summer, with the on-field heat index reaching 103-degrees. Tomlin, dressed all in black as usual, loved it.

“We have some 1 p.m. kickoffs in September that will be challenging – in Nashville and Tampa – so we needed days like this to help with our preparation,” said Tomlin.

Tomlin has said he wears all black on hot days to communicate to his players that he doesn’t care about the weather, and he put that into words for the media after the session concluded.

“We go about our business,” said Tomlin when asked about any special concessions to the heat. “These guys are professionals and we urge them to take professional type steps in terms of pre-hydrating and taking advantage of the hydration opportunities we provide them during the course of our work. We don’t run an operation that creates water scarcity. There’s always water and Gatorade and refreshment around, and what we don’t want to do is miss a snap. We come out here to do our business, and we expect those guys to prepare themselves on the front end, during, and then make the necessary adjustments to prepare themselves after.”

The competitive team period of the afternoon was another session of the two-minute drill. The situation was this: 1:26 on the clock, ball on the offense’s 48-yard line, one timeout, and the offense needed to score a touchdown.

Byron Leftwich was the quarterback with the first-team offense, and Dennis Dixon got the shot with the second unit, but neither was successful.

Leftwich was 2-for-7 for 22 yards, and he had a third-and-10 pass dropped by Antwaan Randle El. Dixon had marginally better statistics – 4-of-11 for 42 yards – but he wasn’t able to get his team into the end zone either. The final play of Dixon’s set was an untimed down, because Thaddeus Gibson jumped offside on the previous play. On a third-and-5 from the 7-yard line, Dixon escaped the pass rush and seemed to have a chance to run into the end zone, but he tried to get the ball to Tyler Grisham instead and Patrick Bailey broke it up.

“He thought there was a strong possibility that he could have (run it into the end zone,” said Tomlin. “We’ll look at it on video. Of course in that situation when it is the last play of the game you better be sure you can get it into the end zone.”

About the play of Leftwich and Dixon in the drill, Tomlin said, “It’s more about the quarterbacks. It’s about people working together. We have some young receivers who are stepping up and trying to put themselves in the mix. There’s also the pass protection, from a blitz pickup standpoint. That drill challenges everyone, not just the quarterbacks.”

INJURY REPORT: Said Tomlin, “Joe Burnett is a new injury. It’s something that’s rib-related, whether it’s muscular or cartilage, we’ll get some additional information there. Jason Worilds continues to march his way back from his hamstring. He was able to participate in the majority of the practice. It deteriorated on him in the last two periods of the practice, and hopefully he’ll do better tomorrow. James Harrison still has a little shoulder discomfort. We expect him back tomorrow, but we’ll see.”

GOAL-LINE DRILL UPDATE: When it was originally scored, the offense won, 4-3, but the defense complained that a touchdown awarded to Dwayne Wright was not a touchdown, and Tomlin has agreed. “There has been an official reversal,” said Tomlin. “No. 38, Dwayne Wright was not in the end zone, so it nullifies the whole sequence, so I get what I want and maybe we get to do it again. (Conditioning coordinator) Garrett Giemont, who called that play a touchdown, is suspect at this juncture. He got swayed by Ben Roethlisberger. It’s on video. It’s evident that Ben whispered in his ear, and he signaled touchdown.”
      E]

Comment

• Cornerback Anthony Madison, who remains a stalwart on special teams, intercepted Ben Roethlisberger during 7-on-7 team drills. LB Lawrence Timmons demolished RB Isaac Redman during blocking drills. QB Byron Leftwich, who resumed his No. 1 status after sitting out Monday, underthrew WR Mike Wallace on a long pass attempt.

2 for 7 and 22 yards tuesday after his rest monday.
        E]

Comment

• Woodley is too damn funny:

http://www.maxim.com/video/painful/9...fl-intern.html

Comment

• sanders had a tough day

http://m.triblive.com/triblive/pm_18...tguid=yyzCJzvL

By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
            Friday, August 13, 2010

Rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders had his worst practice of training camp Thursday and coach Scottie Montgomery let him and the other rookie receivers in camp know about it.

Montgomery gathered Sanders, Antonio Brown, Isaiah Williams and Brandon London after practice to give them a piece of his mind.

″He was giving it to me a little bit today,″ Sanders said.

Sanders had a good excuse for his poor play.

He suffered a stinger in his neck a few days back and thought he was fine until he tried to catch a pass over CB Keenan Lewis during practice, which aggravated it and made it difficult for him to run.

″Today was rock bottom for me,″ Sanders said.

Sanders said that he will play Saturday against the Detroit Lions.

� The team went through three sessions of hurry-up drills with two resulting in touchdowns.

With the ball set at the 29-yard line and less than 30 seconds on the clock, the offense needed to score a touchdown with only one timeout at its disposal.
            E]

Comment

• im saying gibson has 3 sacks against the lions after they unleash the beast in the second half
              E]

Comment

• I think he plays allot, Woodley appears to be abit sore (missed some time the other day), Patrick Bailey doesnt really warant that much playing time and Worilds is still injured. I think Gibson plays most of the game...gets 2 sacks, 5 tackles, 1 forced fumble ;)

Comment

• Jonathan Dwyer, Thaddeus Gibson, and the rookie WR will get extensive playing time today, according to Tomlin.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• As they should. I'm going to try to find a link to watch the game online. The only times it's on the NFLN is at 7AM and 4AM.

Comment

• I'll post some links later bro! Living in the UK is a ***** sometimes!

Comment

• holy pie balls!!! i am excited. lets go!!! hurry up eight minutes!!!

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• anyone find a good stream?

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• the one on atdhe.net has a good one.

Comment

• Flo just got abused.

Comment

• LOL at the fans cheering We Want Ben.

Comment