No announcement yet.

2010/2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus, Timmons. You let McCoy throw a TD against us?? Argh.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

• I hoped Colt keeps playing fairly well so the Browns are fooled into thinking they don't need to draft a better QB like Luck or Locker high in the draft

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
      Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• I must be getting crusty in my old age but this game was not satisfying for several reasons. Primarily, the offensive playcalling just pissed me off. Our running game schemes(if you can call them that) are out of Woody Hayes 1965 playbook. Watching other games, I see a lot of creative running plays, where linemen pull, emphasizing cutbacks and getting the back out in open space. Ariens view must be, "hey, you're really good, so when my obvious run up the middle is stuffed, just look for an opening elsewhere!". Passing plays are basically; run downfield and stand there and be open. Lucky we have to talent to supercede this nonsense. Oh, and don't forget to use your very worst players on key plays-Mewelde Moore and Spaeth. I bet ariens was still looking for Karey Davis on the sideline.

Our linebackers were at their best; Harrison looked like he might kill somebody, Timmons did everything and woodley had his best game yet.

When Keisel went down, they brought out humpty-dumpty Eason. I guess they just don't want to see if Hood can actually redeem himself. curious

I didn't notice hampton at all. too many running plays getting 4-5 yards up the middle on first down.(ok, I'm getting picky here). I think I saw casey eating a big mac on one play.

There are always a handful of plays where Ike Taylor looks like he is in dreamland.

Our worst player on the field was Legursky. I saw him get beat 3 times in a short span early in the game. I like How tough Foster looked when he came in even though that holding penalty cost us. Otherwise our line gave Ben a lot of protection-NO SACKS!!!

I guess Tomlin really wants to get Mendy hurt. 27 carries when we are way ahead! USE ISAAC REDMAN!!!

Ben had one of his most off games and still produced a victory with big plays.

Hey, did you know we have a tight end that's real good and hard to cover, his name is Heath Miller.

I guess at this point I am reconciled to the fact that Tomlin just doesn't want to have any kind of great return game. He seems to think just catch it on punts(ARE did fumble anothe one) and get to the 20 on kickoffs. We may never see Brown on returns again.

Comment

• Originally posted by PittPete View Post
          I must be getting crusty in my old age but this game was not satisfying for several reasons. Primarily, the offensive playcalling just pissed me off. Our running game schemes(if you can call them that) are out of Woody Hayes 1965 playbook. Watching other games, I see a lot of creative running plays, where linemen pull, emphasizing cutbacks and getting the back out in open space. Ariens view must be, "hey, you're really good, so when my obvious run up the middle is stuffed, just look for an opening elsewhere!". Passing plays are basically; run downfield and stand there and be open. Lucky we have to talent to supercede this nonsense. Oh, and don't forget to use your very worst players on key plays-Mewelde Moore and Spaeth. I bet ariens was still looking for Karey Davis on the sideline.

Our linebackers were at their best; Harrison looked like he might kill somebody, Timmons did everything and woodley had his best game yet.

When Keisel went down, they brought out humpty-dumpty Eason. I guess they just don't want to see if Hood can actually redeem himself. curious

I didn't notice hampton at all. too many running plays getting 4-5 yards up the middle on first down.(ok, I'm getting picky here). I think I saw casey eating a big mac on one play.

There are always a handful of plays where Ike Taylor looks like he is in dreamland.

Our worst player on the field was Legursky. I saw him get beat 3 times in a short span early in the game. I like How tough Foster looked when he came in even though that holding penalty cost us. Otherwise our line gave Ben a lot of protection-NO SACKS!!!

I guess Tomlin really wants to get Mendy hurt. 27 carries when we are way ahead! USE ISAAC REDMAN!!!

Hey, did you know we have a tight end that's real good and hard to cover, his name is Heath Miller.

I guess at this point I am reconciled to the fact that Tomlin just doesn't want to have any kind of great return game. He seems to think just catch it on punts(ARE did fumble anothe one) and get to the 20 on kickoffs. We may never see Brown on returns again.
          I agree on most points, I'm just glad Arians didn't get arrogant and put out a game plan where we threw the the ball 60% of the time. Arians is bad. Use Heath Miller and run intermediate routes in the middle of the field.

Wonder if Harrison will be fined. If I owned the team I would pay all his fines if he continues to play with such ferocity.

Mike Tirico

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• I hope Harrison doesn't get fined, but he probably will. I understand that the NFL is trying to protect their players, but it's getting close to touch football.

I don't care that we only won by 18. A win is a win and we showed a lot of promise in that game. Ben was rusty and you could tell in parts of the game. I expect him to get more comfortable and in a rhythm for the rest of the year.

We are very, very dangerous. I hope we don't get over our heads because their asses can and will fall flat on our faces. They need to stay very hungry and play pissed off.

Comment

• Originally posted by PittPete View Post
              I must be getting crusty in my old age but this game was not satisfying for several reasons. Primarily, the offensive playcalling just pissed me off. Our running game schemes(if you can call them that) are out of Woody Hayes 1965 playbook. Watching other games, I see a lot of creative running plays, where linemen pull, emphasizing cutbacks and getting the back out in open space. Ariens view must be, "hey, you're really good, so when my obvious run up the middle is stuffed, just look for an opening elsewhere!". Passing plays are basically; run downfield and stand there and be open. Lucky we have to talent to supercede this nonsense. Oh, and don't forget to use your very worst players on key plays-Mewelde Moore and Spaeth. I bet ariens was still looking for Karey Davis on the sideline.

Eh, I wasn't too pissed off with the playcalling. If anything, it was the execution that was not perfect. But it was more than satisfactory, it was actually good for a change. I was worried that Arians would randomly abandon the run game to have Ben air it out, but he never did. Quite the contrary, the passing game seemed to complement the running game, more than the other way around. Still, we don't use many sophisticated formations, as you mentioned. And Moore's tenure as a Steeler will shortly come to an end.

Indeed. There's no doubt we've got the best LB group in the league. Also, little fantasy tip. If your league has a slot for IDP's (Individual Defensive Players), see if you can pick up Lawrence Timmons. There should be no reason for him to still be available, but if he is, he's probably the best fantasy defensive player so far. I have him and he's scored more than 10 points every time he's played. He's more consistent than some RB's and WR's, lol.

I noticed that too. Hood was in for some plays though, but ultimately I think I saw Eason more than Hood. Could have just been me though, I watched the game through an online stream. But Hood did play, I do remember him collapsing a pocket and pursuing McCoy/Cribbs to the outside.

Yup. Has mental lapses.

Yeah, I saw Legursky struggle too. He's still learning though, he's only started three games in his career, and he's already just as good, if not a bit better, than Essex is. And not only did our O-line not give up any sacks, Ben actually threw the ball away on multiple occassions!

I think Tomlin kept playing Mendenhall because the Browns kept playing to try to win or tie the game. They kept calling timeouts when there was no real chance for them to come back, and things of that nature. Still, I agree with you. I wish the team would activate Dwyer over Moore just to start giving him some carries during garbage time.

He was very rusty for his standards, but he definitely improved as the game progressed. I felt he was much more calm and relaxed after the Wallace TD. Seemed he was just itching to score, and once he did, it took a huge weight off his shoulders.

Ben did target Miller more, but he had at least two drops/incomplete passes. But I agree with you, Miller has to be a bigger part of this offense, he's just too talented a player to not throw to.

Yeah, I've wondered about that. ARE offers virtually nothing as a returner now. He does bring something to the table as a receiver, has pretty solid hands and is clutch (for the most part), but as a returner, eww. Brown should get the nod over Sanders in the future, but as of right now, Sanders is a more polished receiver and I think now that he's healthy he'll keep getting the active roster spot.
              And we need a coverage ILB, and badly. As great as Timmons has been this year, he's struggled in coverage. Ben Watson was open all the time, and Timmons also struggled vs. Heap. Maybe a guy like Boston College's Mark Herzlich. IMO, he'd be a phenomenal fit playing beside Timmons.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• I think Timmons has been great in coverage. The TD to Watson, he basically had 1 of 2 choices; go up and tackle Colt and bail on his coverage or stay in coverage and let Colt run for what would probably be a 1st down. It's hard to tell what everyone else's coverages should have been, but Timmons was on an island by himself and Colt made a good play.

That being said, I'd love Herzlich too.

I really don't know what people are complaining about for this game. I saw very few bad things. My only complaints were that ARE was returning punts for some unknown reason, and Ryan Clark seemed to have an off day to me after his pick. I don't know if Brown was inactive or what, but if they are punting from back in their own territory, we should have him or maybe even Sanders back there. I don't have a problem with ARE back there when its within our 20 though.

Comment

• The reason why ARE is our PR is because he's sure handed.

Comment

• Getting close to midseason, so I'll do my first 2011 mock offseason.

Resign:
                    QB Dennis Dixon
                    OT Willie Colon
                    ILB Keyaron Fox
                    NT Chris Hoke
                    C/G Doug Legursky
                    CB Anthony Madison
                    OLB LaMarr Woodley
                    K Jeff Reed
                    S Ryan Mundy
                    CB Ike Taylor
                    LS Greg Warren
                    P Daniel Sepulveda
                    CB William ***

Don't Resign:
                    OG Trai Essex
                    OT Tony Hills
                    RB Mewelde Moore
                    OT Jonathan Scott
                    DE Nick Eason

Retire
                    QB Charlie Batch
                    ILB James Farrior

Sign
                    OG Max Jean-Gilles, Philadelphia
                    OT Jeremy Trueblood, Tampa Bay
                    RB Jerious Norwood, Atlanta
                    DL Paul Soliai, Miami

Draft
                    1. OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
                    2. ILB Mark Herzlich, Boston College
                    3. CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado
                    4. NT Phil Taylor, Baylor
                    5. FB Owen Marecic, Stanford
                    6. DT/DE Lawrence Marsh, Florida
                    7. TE Kyle Adams, Purdue

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• So anyone think that Harrison gets suspended? And what does everyone think of all these hits to the helmet?

Comment

• Originally posted by skarocksoi View Post
                        So anyone think that Harrison gets suspended? And what does everyone think of all these hits to the helmet?
                        I don't think Harrison or any of the other big hitters from this weekend will be suspended for their hits, but in the future players could be.

The NFL is hypocritical because the league has celebrated violence since its inception and now we need to pull back and shutter when there is contact.

I understand the concussion issue, as a person that has had a concussion in the past and has studied about them. If the league is really concerned they need to have penalties on all helmet to helmet hits. Cribbs was just as defenseless as a WR or a QB because he had stopped to make a cut and didn't see Harrison coming.

In my personal opinion, nothing should really change, but the NFL needs to make a concentrated effort to explain the severe risk and dangers of head injuries to its players at the start of training camp and or the rookie symposium so that players can make an educated choice as to whether or not they even want to play the game.

This practice of explicitly telling the players the consequences of head injuries is the only right thing the NFL can do after trying for years to discredit and hide doctor's research on the subject.

A little off topic but the penalty that drives me the most crazy is when a defender is penalized for driving the QB to the ground. Isn't that the idea of defense to put your opponent on the ground.

Mike Tirico

Comment

• We trade our second and third to move up in the second:

1) Brandon Harris CB Miami(Fla)

Shut down type of guy. Good speed, physical, smart, also has nice ball skills. Teams haven't really thrown his way the last two years. Imagine what a shut down corner would do for our defense.

2) Mike Pouncey G Florida

Teams up with his brother and gives us a very, very solid and nasty interior OL.

4) Phil Taylor NT Baylor

Fat, but very strong and can clog the run. Weight issues will hurt him, but the kid is a player. Seems to have his character concerns put behind him.

5) Cecil Shorts WR Mount Union

You don't know about him yet, but you will soon. Coming out of the school that has produced Pierre Garcon. Although he's not a 4.4 guy, he has very good hands and has DOMINATED D3 football. I like his upside a lot to be a number 2 WR in the NFL.

6) Marvin Austin DE UNC

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. You guys may not think he'll be here, but I think he will. The dude has underperformed badly since stepping in Chapel Hill. He's still living off of his HS hype, and now missed his entire senior season due to agent stuff. Combine the immaturity, character concerns, and being an underachiever, we have a slipper on draft day. I'd still want him. With a 6th round pick, I'd take the gamble on this high-risk, high-reward guy. The kid is too talented and with the leadership and coaching we have here in Pittsburgh, I think he could turn out to be a steal.

7) Alex Henery K Nebraska

If Jeff Reed wants the big bucks, then he can go chase them elsewhere. Henery has a booming leg and could fit well at Heinz Field.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                            I don't think Harrison or any of the other big hitters from this weekend will be suspended for their hits, but in the future players could be.

The NFL is hypocritical because the league has celebrated violence since its inception and now we need to pull back and shutter when there is contact.

I understand the concussion issue, as a person that has had a concussion in the past and has studied about them. If the league is really concerned they need to have penalties on all helmet to helmet hits. Cribbs was just as defenseless as a WR or a QB because he had stopped to make a cut and didn't see Harrison coming.

In my personal opinion, nothing should really change, but the NFL needs to make a concentrated effort to explain the severe risk and dangers of head injuries to its players at the start of training camp and or the rookie symposium so that players can make an educated choice as to whether or not they even want to play the game.

This practice of explicitly telling the players the consequences of head injuries is the only right thing the NFL can do after trying for years to discredit and hide doctor's research on the subject.

A little off topic but the penalty that drives me the most crazy is when a defender is penalized for driving the QB to the ground. Isn't that the idea of defense to put your opponent on the ground.
                            well said... pretty much my thoughts verbatim

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                              We trade our second and third to move up in the second:

1) Brandon Harris CB Miami(Fla)

Shut down type of guy. Good speed, physical, smart, also has nice ball skills. Teams haven't really thrown his way the last two years. Imagine what a shut down corner would do for our defense.

2) Mike Pouncey G Florida

Teams up with his brother and gives us a very, very solid and nasty interior OL.

4) Phil Taylor NT Baylor

Fat, but very strong and can clog the run. Weight issues will hurt him, but the kid is a player. Seems to have his character concerns put behind him.

5) Cecil Shorts WR Mount Union

You don't know about him yet, but you will soon. Coming out of the school that has produced Pierre Garcon. Although he's not a 4.4 guy, he has very good hands and has DOMINATED D3 football. I like his upside a lot to be a number 2 WR in the NFL.

6) Marvin Austin DE UNC

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. You guys may not think he'll be here, but I think he will. The dude has underperformed badly since stepping in Chapel Hill. He's still living off of his HS hype, and now missed his entire senior season due to agent stuff. Combine the immaturity, character concerns, and being an underachiever, we have a slipper on draft day. I'd still want him. With a 6th round pick, I'd take the gamble on this high-risk, high-reward guy. The kid is too talented and with the leadership and coaching we have here in Pittsburgh, I think he could turn out to be a steal.

7) Alex Henery K Nebraska

If Jeff Reed wants the big bucks, then he can go chase them elsewhere. Henery has a booming leg and could fit well at Heinz Field.
                              I'd cream my pants if we got Harrs and Pouncey.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Ehhh I'm not so high on Pouncey that much. I think there are other guards who are ranked much higher. Its a strong guard class this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information