2010/2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also per other sources:

- The Steelers cleared up potential confusion on the offensive line today by issuing a statement that newly signed OT Flozell Adams will play on the right side and Max Starks will stay on the left.

- Today is the conditioning test, which will be done after the team checks in.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• The Ravens are dropping like flies. Dominique Foxworth is out for the year after tearing his ACL today, Ed Reed starts the season on the PUP list, Sergio Kindle fractured his skull falling down the steps, and Jared Gaither gets carted off today with a hurt back. Now I hate the Ravens, but this is sad. I want to play them with our best and their best, but it seem like that wont happen in the first game.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
        The Ravens are dropping like flies. Dominique Foxworth is out for the year after tearing his ACL today, Ed Reed starts the season on the PUP list, Sergio Kindle fractured his skull falling down the steps, and Jared Gaither gets carted off today with a hurt back. Now I hate the Ravens, but this is sad. I want to play them with our best and their best, but it seem like that wont happen in the first game.
        It seems that Gaither only had back cramps, but those could linger. In any case, yeah, it's not looking great for them. It sucks when a lot of your guys get injured, and it sucks that we won't play then with all their players. Complete Steelers vs. complete Ravens are awesome games to watch.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• regardless of injuries, the 1st game it wont be the same because you wont have big ben. The 2nd game should be awesome when Big Ben is back, and Reed and Webb should be as well.

I was just thinking about it the other day, I hate you guys but I <3 our rivlary. We are very fourtanete to be a part of something like this.

Comment

• Quick, somewhat insignificant camp updates:

- LT Max Starks on the state of the offensive line: "We have a unit that's been together and has good chemistry, and we've added an experienced veteran who'll pick up the offense easily. I think we have the makings of a great unit."

- Conditioning test already done, no reports of anyone failing it. Go Hampton!

- Tomlin on rookies and expectations: "We're looking for guys with high football character who want to put their hand in the pile and help us be successful."

- Tomlin regarding QB rotation and reps: "Byron Leftwich is going to get a significant number of snaps, followed by Dennis Dixon. Before everything is done, Ben (Roethlisberger) will have a productive camp."

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Couple updates:

- Roethlisbergar ran with the first-team offense, but after three plays he switched with Leftwich. After a little while, they rotated for the rest of the practice.

- Adams played with the first unit in the morning practice, with Essex playing as the starting RG.

- Pouncey didn't do the conditioning test yesterday, he missed it, so he instead did it this morning. Don't know how he did.

- Both Andre Frazier and Chris Scott are on the PUP list.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• like i said weeks ago

starks-kemoeatu-pouncey-foster-adams

gives the steelers the best chance and every single one of them is a tremendous run blocker, mendenhall could get 1500 yards behind that line.

eessex needs to be backup LT and backup LT only
                E]

Comment

• Originally posted by K Train View Post
                  like i said weeks ago

starks-kemoeatu-pouncey-foster-adams

gives the steelers the best chance and every single one of them is a tremendous run blocker, mendenhall could get 1500 yards behind that line.

eessex needs to be backup LT and backup LT only

I wouldnt bank on pouncey being the starter. Not the steeler way.

Comment

• Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                    The Ravens are dropping like flies. Dominique Foxworth is out for the year after tearing his ACL today, Ed Reed starts the season on the PUP list, Sergio Kindle fractured his skull falling down the steps, and Jared Gaither gets carted off today with a hurt back. Now I hate the Ravens, but this is sad. I want to play them with our best and their best, but it seem like that wont happen in the first game.

Its god levelling the playing field for the wrongs done to #7

Comment

• Couple of more updates from camp:

- Pouncey took the conditioning test today at 6:00 AM and, according to him, "passed it with flying colors."

- Ben got a great reaction from fans when he walked onto the field beside Ward.

- Hood had a good day, his best performance coming on the 1 vs. 1 drills. He was great there, and on three consecutive occasions beat Pouncey. Quoting Steelers.com, he "made Pouncey look like the rookie he is." Also, Hood "generally looked like a different player than the one who was the team’s No. 1 pick in 2009."

- Both Gibson and Worilds had up and down practices. Gibson showed off his great quickness, getting by linemen trying to block him, but he was overwhelmed in others. Worilds did well in the 1 vs. 1 blocking drills between LB and TE, but he was thrown down by Heath Miller. Nothing too surprising though, best veterans on the team vs. rookies.

- Antonio Brown had a great block on a Brandon Landon screen. His best play of the day.

- Sanders had a good day too. He showed of his speed and made a nice catch on a Leftwich pass.

- First big collision of camp happened, even though it wasn't too big. Mendenhall caught a pass from Roethlisberger and James Harrison popped him. Tomlin says Harrison backed off right before contact, but from various accounts, the hit was loud and it looked like a big hit. Both guys got up as if nothing happened, all part of practice.

- Tomlin says the veterans usually refrain from laying licks on other players. He said that Clark was in a position to lay one on Randle El, but just slipped beside him and kind of slapped him on the chest. Tomlin says Clark "showed that he’s a pro."

- Finally, two minor injuries. Both Hampton and Dwyer teaked their hamstrings. Hampton is day-to-day and no update was given on Dwyer.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• According to Rotoworld:

Steelers C Justin Hartwig admitted that he suffered a torn labrum against the Raiders in Week 13 last year. It's pretty impressive that Hartwig played out the final four weeks with such a severe injury. After undergoing offseason surgery, he should be ready to bounce back. Hartwig is being pushed by Doug Legursky at center.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_692957.html

Also Jeff Reed is calling out the organization:

Steelers franchise player K Jeff Reed ripped the organization Saturday, saying he was misled about their intention of signing him to a long-term deal.
                        Reed is none too happy about the $2.814 million he'll make this season on a one-year tender. "I understand business moves, but I'm not a big fan of lying," Reed said. "I'm really disappointed ... extremely ... little bit bitter." The Steelers don't need this from their kicker, especially from one that has had his share of off-field problems.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213...d=steelers.xml

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Early reports are that Flozell Adams' transition to RT has been virtually perfect so far (when it comes to the mental aspect of the game.)

Kugler only had rave reviews of him, and he said he's one of the most punishing runblockers he's ever coached. He said you can see the raw power he brings on one on one blocking drills.

Also, it was a great first day for almost everyone. Bruce Arians even said it was "the best first day I’ve ever been a part of.”

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• More updates:

- Mendenhall is down to 217 pounds. He said it will help him when it comes to speed. I'm not too sure I like the change, but we'll see. I hope it doesn't affect his ability to shake of first hits and get yards after contact. It doesn't really help that one of the first big hits in camp was Harrison on him.

- Mendenhall said he feels “light, explosive, quick, just really in good shape” after an offseason spent working on his speed and explosiveness.

- Speaking of Harrison, he himself was blown up by none other than Frank the Tank Summers. It was during a run-game scrimmage, and Summers ran to the outside and Harrison was in pursuit. At the moment of contact, Summers clearly won the contest, as he remained upright and Harrison wound up on his butt.

- Worilds struggled in the 1 on 1 drills vs. TE's. He was pancaked by both Miller and David Johnson. Gibson, on the other hand, had a great performance in those drills, repeatedly beating Spaeth and McHugh.

- Worilds also struggled against offensive linemen, while Gibson again had a great showing. Gibson played against the RT's, and he beat virtually everyone who lined up there. Gibson beat Adams, Jonathan Scott, and Ramon Foster on multiple occassions. The only guy who Worilds was able to beat was Tony Hills. :S

- Ziggy Hood was probably the defensive star of the day, as he was unblockable on on the 1 on 1 drills vs. offensive linemen. He made Pouncey look like a rookie and whipped Trai Essex on another occasion. He beat all the starters and then some. From what I've read, he didn't lose a single contest.

- Mike Wallace has been amazing so far. The only time a CB was able to stop him was when Bryant McFadden "smothered" him on a deep pass (perfectly timed, mind you) from Leftwich, which Wallace never reached.

- Apparently Randle El hasn't lost all of his explosiveness. He broke off for a large gain on a reverse play, after a great block from Isaac Redman, which got him a public praise. Randle El also had a great juke right after making the catch, making the DB slip and getting a lot of extra yardage.

- Pouncey impressed coaches and his peers by the way he finished blocks and never gave up on plays. He drove defenders down and didn't stop working until it was all done. He mainly ran at RG with the second unit, but he also played some RG with the starters as well.

- And again, the only two injuries were “aggravated hamstrings” for Hampton and Dwyer. Hampton is day-to-day and Dwyer said he was "fine" and would keep practicing.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• *Frank Summers came out wearing the 43 jersey of Troy Polamalu. Fans thought he was Polamalu.
                              *Not practicing today, NT Casey Hampton, WR Mike Wallace, RB Jonathan Dwyer, G Maurkice Pouncey, and T Ramon Foster all sitting out today.
                              *Trai Essex working at starting right guard in place of Pouncey with Kraig Urbik working behind him.
                              *Antwaan Randle El is working opposite Hines Ward in place of Wallace today.
                              *Cornerback Bryant McFadden very vocal today.
                              *Reported now that Wallace might practice some today.
                              *Byron Leftwich opens as starter in team drills today. Ben Roethlisberger going second.
                              *Rookie linebackers Thaddeus Gibson and Jason Worilds looking good in backs on backers drills. Worilds struggled on Saturday.
                              *Running back Isaac Redman holds own during backs on backers drill. Undrafted free agent Renauld Williams battling in drill as well.
                              *Roethlisberger gets work and hits rookie receiver Antonio Brown with a pass.
                              *Roethlisberger hits Hines Ward over the middle in hurry up offense.
                              *Roethlisberger beats blitz hits Heath Miller for touchdown, coverage by linebacker James Farrior.
                              *Antonio Brown catches another down the middle from Roethlisberger in second team work.

Comment

• I went to training camp today.

Just a few thoughts, Antonio Brown and Emanuel Sanders looked really smooth and fast.

During scrimmages the defense was consistently beating the Oline and living in the back field.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                                Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information