Willis+Woodley=Great Draft Combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
    Honestly, I would give you that one, simply because in a 3-4, Woodley would be better as a rush backer in a Merriman type role and, despite not knowing a ton about the Steelers, that really doesn't seem to be your biggest need right now.
    Thats our major need right now. That and OL.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRob View Post
      Thats our major need right now. That and OL.
      Well then I'd have to say he'd be a perfect fit honestly.

Originally posted by Jakey
      WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Dude, Get a pharking clue. At least do a little research before you think you know what you are talking about.

Everyone seems to think that Woodley is a second round pick. I don't see it. He will go first round like Kiwanuka did last year after his stock dropped. The Patriots have supposedly worked him out in private and are considering using one of their two first round picks on him.

I love how versatile the kid is despite how many feel about him. Some interesting tidbits about him:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...format=&page=1

"The buy-in was what got the corner turned. And no one profited like Woodley. TWICE AND ALL-BIG EN PICK AT LINEBACKER, he became a consensus first-team All-American up front while winning the Lombardi Award (nation’s top lineman), the Ted Hendricks Award (top defensive end) and national defensive player of the year honors from Rivals.com.

Along the way, he further developed the on-field versatility that the Patriots crave.

In a 3-4 as a sophomore, HE PLAYED AS AN ON-THE-LINE 'BACKER. In a 4-3 as a junior, HE WAS AN OUTSIDE LINEBACKER and end in the Wolverines’ over and under fronts. As a senior, when new defensive coordinator Ron English installed a Tampa-2 hybrid, he played a more traditional 4-3 end.

Better yet, Woodley never complained. Winning was his concern and had been since Day 1, when he was converted from high school linebacker to college end and put on the field as a true freshman."

All Big-Ten twice as a 'Backer and he can't play OLB in our 3-4?

Get a clue man. When you have two very respected franchises that really like a player, you might need to start re-evaluating what you know. Which is apparently not very much. This kid has suceeded in every scheme he has played and that includes a Tampa-2 type system.

I am not saying he's going to be the pick at 15, but you know that Tomlin has to like his versatility.
        ... Spencer is a better 3-4 OLB Prospect. Imagine a more powerful faster version of Shaun Phillips. Woodley has coverage problems, and is short, and slow. If I ever have a question on a Michigan question I ask Richdg, because he is a Michigan Fanatic. If he says Woodley can't play OLB I listen and Agree. He knows the Michigan Players.

Woodley would be best fit in a Freeney role. Just pass rush at DE. Don't worry about the run, or coverage, just get to the QB. We need someone a little more functional.

Also. Don't think that because the rumors saying that "New England is infatuated with Player X and is willing to use their first round pick". ****, If I were a GM i'd be starting rumors like that all the time, that way my guy falls to my pick.

Up until his Pro-Day Woodley was slated as a rd 3-4 Guy. There's still a large group of scouts that don't like his 3-4 OLB capability. We've worked him out already, but I haven't heard much from Pittsburgh.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
          ... Spencer is a better 3-4 OLB Prospect. Imagine a more powerful faster version of Shaun Phillips. Woodley has coverage problems, and is short, and slow. If I ever have a question on a Michigan question I ask Richdg, because he is a Michigan Fanatic. If he says Woodley can't play OLB I listen and Agree. He knows the Michigan Players.

Woodley would be best fit in a Freeney role. Just pass rush at DE. Don't worry about the run, or coverage, just get to the QB. We need someone a little more functional.

Also. Don't think that because the rumors saying that "New England is infatuated with Player X and is willing to use their first round pick". ****, If I were a GM i'd be starting rumors like that all the time, that way my guy falls to my pick.

Up until his Pro-Day Woodley was slated as a rd 3-4 Guy. There's still a large group of scouts that don't like his 3-4 OLB capability. We've worked him out already, but I haven't heard much from Pittsburgh.
          Spencer has never played a snap at OLB. Every scout out there says Spencer is better suited to play DE in a 4-3 and not OLB in 3-4. The Steelers always draft at least one player they interview every year. Guess what? Spencer so far has not been invited to interview with the Steelers and the Steelers have already interviewed Woodley.

If a player is All Big-Ten Linebacker, Twice, that would lead most people to believe he is capable of playing a Rush Backer position. I am not advocating him in the first at 15. But I would consider him in the Second very strongly.

Comment

Spencer has never played a snap at OLB. Every scout out there says Spencer is better suited to play DE in a 4-3 and not OLB in 3-4. The Steelers always draft at least one player they interview every year. Guess what? Spencer so far has not been invited to interview with the Steelers and the Steelers have already interviewed Woodley.

If a player is All Big-Ten Linebacker, Twice, that would lead most people to believe he is capable of playing a Rush Backer position. I am not advocating him in the first at 15. But I would consider him in the Second very strongly.
            I'll consider him too, but he's slow, short and he's a liability in coverage. The Steelers interview 30 players a year. Hopefully they draft atleast 1 of those 30 to know what they're getting.

Comment

i wouldnt touch him at 15, maybe second, but id rather have robinson or crowder

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
                i wouldnt touch him at 15, maybe second, but id rather have robinson or crowder
                I don't think crowder is more than a DE.

If Anderson isn't our 1st rounder, I take Spencer Rd 2. DeOssie rd 4, and If Robison is around, take him, Matt King, or Brian Smith later.

And Sign Jason Trusnik.

Comment

we should get anderson regardless of whther or not we have to trade up a few spots to get him, im in love with him after his article on espn

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
                    we should get anderson regardless of whther or not we have to trade up a few spots to get him, im in love with him after his article on espn
                    As am I but the cost to move up 3-5 spots (To guarentee getting him is our 2nd rounder). I like it, but too many other needs to give up another day 1 pick.

IF we could do it in a Starks trade, Trade away.

Comment

As am I but the cost to move up 3-5 spots (To guarentee getting him is our 2nd rounder). I like it, but too many other needs to give up another day 1 pick.

IF we could do it in a Starks trade, Trade away.
                      i really hope we get him thhough, the guy is amazing

Comment

I'll consider him too, but he's slow, short and he's a liability in coverage. The Steelers interview 30 players a year. Hopefully they draft atleast 1 of those 30 to know what they're getting.
                        Spencer (6-2 5/8, 265) ran 4.69 and 4.71

Woodley (6-1 265 pounds) was invited to the Combine but did not run in Indy. He ran two 40s in 4.74 and 4.84

All accounts of Woodley's Workout said on the 4.84 forty he slipped and would have ran a very comparable time to Spencer.

Your acting like their two different players. Spencer is exactly 1 inch shorter than Woodley and weighs the same, he is maybe a 3/10's of a second faster in the 40. Woodley's arm length is the same or longer than any other defensive line prospect.

The main difference is Woodley's actually played OLB before and played in the 3-4.

Sorry, but the Steelers aren't even sniffing around Spencer at this point.

Comment

Again, let me repeat. Woodley did not play OLB. He had his hand on the ground as a DE for the last 3 1/2 years. He switched to DE from OLB because he is not good or comfortable in pass defense. He is a DE, he is the same type of player as James Hall.

Comment

well if the main difference is that woodley played like 20 snaps maybe at OLB, then i would say they are the same player

Comment

Spencer (6-2 5/8, 265) ran 4.69 and 4.71

Woodley (6-1 265 pounds) was invited to the Combine but did not run in Indy. He ran two 40s in 4.74 and 4.84

All accounts of Woodley's Workout said on the 4.84 forty he slipped and would have ran a very comparable time to Spencer.

Your acting like their two different players. Spencer is exactly 1 inch shorter than Woodley and weighs the same, he is maybe a 3/10's of a second faster in the 40. Woodley's arm length is the same or longer than any other defensive line prospect.

The main difference is Woodley's actually played OLB before and played in the 3-4.

Sorry, but the Steelers aren't even sniffing around Spencer at this point.
                              Anthony Spencer(Combine)

Height: 6027
                              Weight: 261
                              40 Yrd Dash: 4.70
                              20 Yrd Dash: 2.74
                              10 Yrd Dash: 1.64
                              Wonderlic:
                              225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30
                              Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
                              Broad Jump: 9'4"
                              20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.43
                              3-Cone Drill: 7.14

Spencer (Pro Day

Height: 6027
                              Weight: 261
                              40 Yrd Dash: 4.69
                              20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
                              10 Yrd Dash: 1.56

LaMarr Woodley (Pro Day)

Height: 6014
                              Weight: 266
                              40 Yrd Dash: 4.74
                              20 Yrd Dash: 2.72
                              10 Yrd Dash: 1.65
                              225 Lb. Bench Reps: 29
                              Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
                              Broad Jump: 9'9"
                              20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.42
                              3-Cone Drill:

Woodley Reminds me of a Slower/weaker dwight freeney, whereas Spencer reminds me of a more powerful/faster Phillips.

We talked to Spencer at his pro-day and Combine. We also did the same with Jamaal Anderson.

I'm still thinking we might Take Beason....

But If Anderson fell, we wouldn't take him because we haven't invited him? Perhaps we're not tipping our hand?

And one of the reasons Michigan didn't run a 3-4, is because Woodley COULDN"T cover.

He's too slow and lacks the hips.

They had perfect lineup for 3-4 Defense.

Woodley, Harris, Burgess, Crable
                              DE, NT, Branch

But Woodley wasn't good in coverage, hence the 4-3.

Comment

Originally posted by richdg View Post
                                Again, let me repeat. Woodley did not play OLB. He had his hand on the ground as a DE for the last 3 1/2 years. He switched to DE from OLB because he is not good or comfortable in pass defense. He is a DE, he is the same type of player as James Hall.

Well, every 3-4 Scout out there disagrees with you. Would you be calling the writer of this article a liar for not doing his research and for trusting his sources?

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/pat...format=&page=1

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information