No announcement yet.

2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft/Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching our o-line and d-line was painful.

Obviously Freeney vs. Scott was ugly, but not only that Kemo and Legs were getting owned by no-names like Drake Nevis and Eric Foster (Foster probably weighs around 285lbs at that). Gilbert fared OK against Mathis, but needed allot of help from backs and TE's. Pouncey played OK, but he should have dominated that Indy front.

All i can say is, i hope (sorry for being brutal) that Scott and Legs are out, Gilbert is healthy and we sign Flo or Starks.

Our oline would be;

Gilbert - Kemo - Pouncey - Foster - Flo

That would be better imo, but still nowhere near starting NFL caliber.

Also, the vets on the D-Line played horribly, i have never seen Aaron Smith play so badly in my life, he literally looked like he had no strength whatsoever, he was getting run 5 yards back by Jeff Linkenbach ffs! Hampton played awful aswell, he may be strong, but he has got so fat and slow that he is knocked off balance before he ever gets to use his strength. Jeff Saturday shouldnt be able to handle him with help, but he managed to own him one on one.

Ziggy and Heyward played much better than the veterans, Ziggy disrupted the pocket allot, and hardly any of their runs to that side were successful. With Heyward in at RE, it was even more impressive, there was a play down by the goal line where he fought through two blockers, threw one out of the way and stopped addai for no gain. If Keisel or Smith were in there, it probably would have been a TD.

This team has a lot of thinking to do, and some tough decisions to make, we cant just keep the old guys in there just out of loyalty. Smith, Farrior, Kemoeatu and maybe even Ryan Clark and Big Snack should not be starters in the NFL anymore.

Comment

• Yeah, Smith is done. He's played meh three straight games. Farrior is the captain of the defense, so that's why he stays. I think he's gone at the end of the year and they either let Sly or Foote take the spot. Kemo is so ******* ********. I think he gets cut after the year. Clark and Snack only have one year left. I think we draft their replacements in the '12 draft. We have to unless a young, solid FA is available.

Comment

• I feel like i'm watching preseason games, the way we're playin!
        you guys think its cuz of no off season or are we in trouble?
        ...The Pittsburgh Steelers represent a way of life...

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSteeler View Post
          I feel like i'm watching preseason games, the way we're playin!
          you guys think its cuz of no off season or are we in trouble?
          In my opinion, we're in trouble.

Agree with what you guys have said, this is the year were age appears to have finally caught up with some guys, for real. And curiously, I still wouldn't list Farrior in that category. He's lost a step, sure, but compared to them, he's still playing at a good level. I have virtually no complaints with what he's done so far. I don't like the rotation, ***** up the continuity and whatnot, but he's been solid.

Aaron Smith is the most worrisome because of his tenure, his ability to bounce back from injury, and what he's doing on the field right now. In previous years, he was able to bounce back and play well, but this year, god no. He's getting manhandled on a consistent basis, and I'd rather see Hood there. He's shown more than enough to me to know that not only will he not be bad, but he'll be good.

Hampton, it's kind of different for him, IMO. He's getting chop-blocked all the time, and he can't do absolutely anything while on the ground. If I'm in our FO, I'd be sending tapes to the league showing all the times it's happened, because it's frequent.

Polamalu is beasting, glad to see him playing like that.

Wallace is so damn good, so much for being a one trick pony. He keeps this up, he'll be in discussion for top 5 WR in the league. Yes, I said it. At this point, he's better than Desean Jackson and any other burner in the league.

Ben has been off these past games, not quite on target. He's made some great throws like the one to Wallace on Sunday, but he's capable of being more accurate on a more consistent basis.

Mendenhall has been a big disappointment thus far, but that can be attributed to the o-line. Defenses are doing what they want with our olinemen. Huge amount of our struggles come from that, such as sack-fumbles, or fumbles behind the line of scrimmage. Colts got 7 points from one of those. We need upgrades, just like we have needed for a while.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• yeah Goose i agree, we need to get Adams back and even Starks. i know our cap issues but figure it out some how.

i think we could have found better players then those two in the beginning, but they know our system and it would be just plug and play. Gillbert can replace Adams next year, he has not looked to bad, not great but not bad either. then sign a LT and draft one to learn.

Matthew 19:26
            Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible

Comment

• Vikes may make OT addition
              3:13PM ET
              Minnesota Vikings

Perhaps the Minnesota Vikings are of the belief that with an upgrade to the offensive line, the quarterback play will get better. Left tackle Charles Johnson has had his issues this season filling in as the team's starter, and RT Phil Loadholt did not inspire sonnets with his work in Sunday's loss to the Detroit Lions, either.

In any case, Tom Pelissero of 1500 ESPN Radio has reported that the team is slated to visit with veteran free agent Max Starks on Monday, according to a league source.

The team's plans for possibly signing Starks are unclear, but head coach Leslie Frazier is attempting to keep the whole thing under wraps. Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press passes along word from Frazier, who indicated that the team has talked about working him out (Starks, not Fowler), but he did not confirm that anything was yet scheduled.

- Tim Kavanagh

if we are going to talk to Starks then it looks like we better hurry, i know he is injury prone also but maybe having more time off and being a quarter of the season over he would be ok

Matthew 19:26
              Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
                Yeah, Smith is done. He's played meh three straight games. Farrior is the captain of the defense, so that's why he stays. I think he's gone at the end of the year and they either let Sly or Foote take the spot. Kemo is so ******* ********. I think he gets cut after the year. Clark and Snack only have one year left. I think we draft their replacements in the '12 draft. We have to unless a young, solid FA is available.

I agree.....Thanks for your service Aaron.......but I think its time for him to retire

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• LAME.

This team is really really average. O-line and D is not playing up to scratch
                  :(

Comment

• yes.

nice to see somewhat of an effort in the 2nd half but not enough, not enough, and now ben is hurt.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• Big Ben has done his best to hide the deficiencies of the o-line the past few years. Colbert would not look like such a genius if Ben was not back there improvising and making plays behind that o-line.

Comment

• I firmly believe the teams wants Worilds to take over for Harrison so they can unload his contract and invest that money in the o-line.

Or at least they should be hoping...

Comment

• That was the worst game i've watched in forever!
                          I'm not the best at analyzing but it seems like our veterans age is starting to show and the young guys aren't quite as bad ass as the old guys were.
                          Looks like were gonna see how great our player development is!

I don't wanna throw in the towel yet, but that game was awfully embarrassing.
                          Do you guys think we're a free agent away from getting back on track, or are we looking at a rough season?
                          ...The Pittsburgh Steelers represent a way of life...

Comment

• It seems as if teams have figured out how to run against us now, and that hurts. First it was, you could spread us out and throw it on us. Now, you can do whatever you guys want to do. I'm not going to write the young guys off yet, but we really need to restock the defense and OL. That means Smith, Hines, Farrior, Clark, Hampton, and maybe Keisel and Foote need to go. We need to sign a FA or two to help us out because I know we aren't going to draft all these replacements.

I would like to get a developmental NT and a guy who could possibly start at MLB in the draft. I want the first two picks to be OL. Thomas DeCoud is a FA at the end of the year and I wouldn't mind bringing him in to replace Clark.

I would also just let the young kids at corner start to take all the reps beside Ike to see which ones are keepers and which one's aren't.

Comment

• trai essex and jonathan scott should have been aborted...im embarrassed on their behalf
                              E]

Comment

• You are never 1 or 2 FA or draft picks away, at that point its just about excuting and producing. GB is an example of that.

But, the Steelers are a major overhaul away. And either midway through this season or next season we'll get to see how good Mike Tom Tom really is, and his player development at that.

You can't ignore that fact that the past few years we've had some lousy drafts. That has finally caught up with us, Oline prime example.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information