No announcement yet.

2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft/Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The '10 and '11 drafts weren't lousy one bit. They have the dreaded p word, but overall, I was pleased with it. The '09 draft was a disaster, though.

Comment

• I think part of the problem is that when we have missed in the draft lately we have missed at two positions often. They are o line and secondary. Since we took Ike and Troy we have drafted 9 players in the secondary in the first five rounds of the draft. Out of all of them, Gai and Mcfadden are the only ones who get significant playing time (although 3 of those picks came in the last two years). We drafted the same amount of o linemen, and a lot of them play, but that is more due to us having no one good there besides Pouncey. Those lineman include Cameron Stephenson, Tony Hills, Urbik, Essex, Starks, Colon, Chris Scott and Marcus Gilbert. Most of those guys aren't on the team and only Pouncey looks like he could be a starter on every team. Gilbert has some promise, but the jury is still out. So we have essentially gotten two players in the secondary and two starters on the o line from 18 draft picks since 03.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
        You are never 1 or 2 FA or draft picks away, at that point its just about excuting and producing. GB is an example of that.

But, the Steelers are a major overhaul away. And either midway through this season or next season we'll get to see how good Mike Tom Tom really is, and his player development at that.

You can't ignore that fact that the past few years we've had some lousy drafts. That has finally caught up with us, Oline prime example.
        I agree with you up to the last statement. last year we brought in three excellent players in Pouncey, Sanders, and Brown. that's far from lousy, even if we get nothing out of Worilds, Dwyer, and Sylvester - and I think at least one of those latter three will perform.

'09, we found a top-5 receiver in mike wallace. that's good drafting. I agree, lots of misses that year, but Ziggy is a solid building block and will be one of the guys that helps fill the leadership void when everyone's moved on. and Lewis could yet become a long-term starter.

'08 we **** the bed, no question. it pains me that we could have ray rice instead of mendy (let alone c. johnson). I'll say this, though - that 2nd round was fugly. other than Rice (who was off our board after the mendenhall selection), there was no one of consequence to have realistically taken over Sweed.

as for the overhaul - you hate to draw conclusions about a group 8 months after they played in a super bowl, but it appears this vintage is, in fact, over. with our salary cap issues, I don't think there's any way that we can acquire any different makers in FA next offseason anyway, which is probably for the better.

not to be cavalier, but I think you can expect the following to retire or be released:

Kemoeatu - $5.2m
        Hines - $4.6m
        Farrior - $3.8m
        McFadden - $2.67m

not sure what the dead money would be, but I figure we'd free up $10-12m there. and a lot more if Hampton ($8m) hangs them up, though I expect he'll finish out his contract.

as for the draft - it's BPA all the way. funny how in just four weeks we've discovered we have needs everywhere.

1.) OT
        2.) NT (but may need to do this in the first due to lack of them)
        3.) ILB
        4.) CB (which honestly is still a #1 type of need, but can't be addressed due to the crying needs along both lines)
        5.) OG (also a HUGE need, but one we won't be able to address until mid-rounds)
        6.) RB (I can't stand Mendenhall, though I know we're stuck with him through '12)
        7.) Developmental QB (was hoping we were still 2 seasons away from this, but it's likely to be needed sooner rather than later)
        8.) DE
        9.) TE

yikes.

the question then becomes, will the FO make the painful decision to commit to the rebuild, or will they try to bandaid their way to contention while Ben/Troy/Harrison are still game. I can't fault them either way, but suspect it will be the latter.

Comment

• I haven't quite given up on Mendenhall yet. His fumbling bugs me but I think if we had a good change of pace back, and a better Oline he'd be fine.
          ...The Pittsburgh Steelers represent a way of life...

Comment

• What I hate about Mendenhall this year is that he's so quick to bounce everything outside. He's running like a puss. I've actually been impressed with Redman and MeMo more because they're running right at you with power and physicality. Mendenhall is trying to outrun everyone, is showing a lack of vision, and isn't hitting the hole hard at all.

Comment

• And we should all still agree to hate Bruce Arians...come on guys, come on.

Also Kemo 5.2 Mill? What the hell?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
                What I hate about Mendenhall this year is that he's so quick to bounce everything outside. He's running like a puss. I've actually been impressed with Redman and MeMo more because they're running right at you with power and physicality. Mendenhall is trying to outrun everyone, is showing a lack of vision, and isn't hitting the hole hard at all.
                Call me crazy, but from a physical standpoint he kind of reminds me of LT. Very light on his feet, similar size, can be physical if he wants to.

But that's the problem, most of the time he doesn't want to. As you said Hines, he's dancing way too much. Granted, with that offensive line he knows he'll get stuffed so that's why he tries to bounce everything outside, but we don't have good blocking there either.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                  And we should all still agree to hate Bruce Arians...come on guys, come on.

Also Kemo 5.2 Mill? What the hell?
                  It was supposed to be 4, but they restructured him so he's worth that much for next season.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
                    Call me crazy, but from a physical standpoint he kind of reminds me of LT. Very light on his feet, similar size, can be physical if he wants to.

But that's the problem, most of the time he doesn't want to. As you said Hines, he's dancing way too much. Granted, with that offensive line he knows he'll get stuffed so that's why he tries to bounce everything outside, but we don't have good blocking there either.
                    The OL excuse can only go so far when Isaac Redman and MeMo are having success running behind it. That's been my problem with Mendenhall his whole career. I love Mendenhall. He is one of my favorite players on the team, but the dude needs to run a lot angrier. He has the size and strength to do it, but he doesn't. Last year? He ran how I expect him to. This year? He's been very disappointing.

Comment

• Hey guys, not to be a troll or anything but would you trade away Mendenhall? he's been disappointing and although he can easily turn this around, I am not optimistic with the way the OL is looking

Comment

• I think Mendenhall finishes his contract in Pittsburgh. Whether or not the Steelers renew it is up to him and the team.

Comment

• Mock Off-season

No longer on team next year:
                          LB James Farrior
                          DE Aaron Smith
                          WR Hines Ward
                          OG Chris Kemoeatu
                          CB Bryant McFadden
                          WR Arnaz Battle
                          QB Charlie Batch

Sign:
                          OG Carl Nicks (pretty big name signing, but we need him and with so many guys out we have the money)
                          OG Vernon Carey

Draft:
                          1. NT Alameda Ta'Amu - Washington
                          2. LB Vontaze Burfict - Arizona State
                          3. WR Dwight Jones - North Carolina
                          4. TE Lardarius Green - Louisiana-Lafayette
                          5. OG Brandon Brooks - Miami (OH)
                          6. DE/OLB Kyle Wilber - Wake Forest
                          7. K Carson Wiggs - Purdue

New offensive line:

Gilbert - Nicks - Pouncey - Carey - Colon

O-line fixed!
                          Defense revamped!
                          Ben gets new toys!

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• There is no way Tez falls to the second round.

Comment

• Depending on where we pick, I wouldn't mind this:

1) Andrew Datko OT Florida State
                              2) Josh Chapman NT Alabama
                              3) Jerry Franklin LB Arkansas
                              4) Brian Quick WR Appalachian St
                              5) Brandon Brooks G Miami (OH)
                              6) Deangelo Peterson TE LSU
                              7) Blair Welch K Georgia

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
                                There is no way Tez falls to the second round.
                                I don't expect him to, but some people have said he's a hothead and might be trouble, so I'm guessing a Maualuga type of fall isn't completely out of the question. Plus, I want both Ta'Amu and him :)

Originally posted by Hines View Post
                                Depending on where we pick, I wouldn't mind this:

1) Andrew Datko OT Florida State
                                2) Josh Chapman NT Alabama
                                3) Jerry Franklin LB Arkansas
                                4) Brian Quick WR Appalachian St
                                5) Brandon Brooks G Miami (OH)
                                6) Deangelo Peterson TE LSU
                                7) Blair Welch K Georgia
                                Good mock, I like those guys.

I'd love it if we went "**** it" and just rebuilt the entire o-line in one off-season and ignored other needs. Sign a big name FA, trade picks for higher picks, and just get guys all around.

Like, sign Carl Nicks, trade 1, 2 and 4 for a high pick to get Matt Kalil, and then draft a guard in the third. That gets us a (potentially) Franchise LT, a stud LG, and a young RG. Add in Pouncey and Gilbert, and we've got a very good, young O-line to move forward. The oldest would be Nicks with 27, followed by Gilbert with 24.

I hate thinking these things and then realizing they'll never happen :(

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information