No announcement yet.

2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft/Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if it was already posted, but here is a list of the local Pittsburgh players we brought in for pre-draft visits:

WR Jonathan Baldwin
    DE Jabaal Sheard
    DE Greg Romeus
    FB Henry Hynoski
    RB Dion Lewis
    T Jason Pinkston
    S Dom DiCicco

All came in on the 16th.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

A couple interesting things that I like:

Coach Mike Tomlin indicated that the Steelers have considered moving Willie Colon from right tackle to guard.
      It could be a sensible switch if Colon's Achilles' surgery affects his mobility and ability to pass protect in space. He'd be in tighter quarters at guard. Colon is not signed for the 2011 season, however, so it's possible he'll be playing elsewhere anyhow. Especially if the Steelers don't deem a player coming off such a serious injury worth a hefty investment.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review predicts that the Steelers won't struggle to re-sign free agent RCB Ike Taylor.
      "The reason? Simple," writes beat reporter Scott Brown. "The veteran cornerback wants to stay in Pittsburgh and the Steelers want him back." Taylor, 31 in May, may want to consider a deal similar to the one signed by Sheldon Brown, 31 at the time, in Cleveland last spring. Taylor is better than Brown, but the three-year, $15.25 million pact could be a jump-off point.

Comment

I really want a corner in the first but the value doesn't seem to be there.

I like Brandon Harris but Mayock and Casserley have stated that the kid is a nickle back at best.

Some feel that Aaron Williams is too stiff in the hips and will eventually move to safety.

I think were going oline or dline in some form or fashion round one.

The Cameron Jordan Visit is interesting, there is no way he will be there when we pick. Perhaps a trade up?

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
        Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by Hines View Post
          Colbert is very interested in trading down. I would love that to be honest. Trade in the early to mid second and aquire more picks. Maybe a first for next year, and do work.
          I know one page ago I predicted a trade-up for B. Harris, who I still maintain will go fairly high as the third DB off the board - but I could also see a trade-down for Curtis Brown +. Esp. if Carimi is gone by 1.31, which he will be.

Comment

I like Brandon Harris and all, but I don't think he'll fit well in our defense.

Comment

Realistically i do not think we have a shot at Mike Pouncey who remains on top of my wish list, but heres what i think is 1) Likely to play out 2)amazing if it played out tied together

1) Cameron Heyward DE OSU
              With such a deep DE class, espeically for 5 techs i think we have a legit shot at him at 31 and at 31 it would be a STEAL

2) Curtis Brown CB Texas
              I do think that he is the best CB on the texas roster and will instantly sure up the secondary. Ike, Butler, Brown, and *** is a SOLID group of corners imo (i love butler, i dont care if theres any weight to my statement yet...there will be)

3) Lance Kendricks TE
              I hate spaeth and i think he should leave, Kendricks is a pass catching TE and i think the steelers are heavily interested in him, could be a dynamic addition to the passing game.

4) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
              Lived in the shadow of the pounceys at florida, but is a fine prospect in his own right. will be better than starks imo (former gator who went in the 3rd)

5) Noel Devine RB WVU
              Love me some noel devine. He bulked up impressively between the senior bowl (a dismal 165) and now hes over 180. He has elite vision, speed and strength, honestly pound for pound one of the strongest humans on the planet....the bench and squat he can throw up at his size shames all of the lineman at wvu. Hes a hell of a 3rd down back, and CAN run in between the tackles. He also has some unreal potential as a return man. Get mewelde off the roster in favor of noel.

6) DeAndre Brown WR Southern Miss
              Hes my this years Mike Williams (we see how that worked out, i had mike williams mocked to us in the 5th in every mock i had last year) He would be a much better prospect if he wasnt labeled with these karakter konserns. big target, i think will make a team very happy.

7) Josh Bynes MLB Auburn
              Bynes is a thumper as a MLB, hes pretty slow but makes up for it with very good instincts, could contribute as a backup and ST.

Other options that the steelers might look into include alex henery K nebraska, Rashad Carmichael CB VT, i think theres a considerable amount of interest in both of those prospects. Carmichael in the 3rd/4th, and Henery in the 6th
              E]

Comment

Sweet sexual seduction!

+rep for that good sir

Also love Rock Carmichael, either would be good.

Comment

Another player i really like lately is ras-i dowling, hes really helped himself this offseason. im on board
                  E]

Comment

Carmichael cannot tackle. He wouldn't be a good fit here.

Comment

• while a agree with you i think that mcfadden and *** are 2 of the best tackling CBs in the league...look at how far that has gotten us with those two.

it seems like our coaching staff turns everyone into a good tackler, something they really stress and that IS something that can be taught...being a good cover guy is harder to come by, it might be something worth trying. (havent really seen alot of carmichael as opposed to some past hokies and some future stud DBs on that team) but i do think the steelers might have some genuine interest in him
                      E]

Comment

• Originally posted by K Train View Post
                        Realistically i do not think we have a shot at Mike Pouncey who remains on top of my wish list, but heres what i think is 1) Likely to play out 2)amazing if it played out tied together

1) Cameron Heyward DE OSU
                        With such a deep DE class, espeically for 5 techs i think we have a legit shot at him at 31 and at 31 it would be a STEAL

2) Curtis Brown CB Texas
                        I do think that he is the best CB on the texas roster and will instantly sure up the secondary. Ike, Butler, Brown, and *** is a SOLID group of corners imo (i love butler, i dont care if theres any weight to my statement yet...there will be)

3) Lance Kendricks TE
                        I hate spaeth and i think he should leave, Kendricks is a pass catching TE and i think the steelers are heavily interested in him, could be a dynamic addition to the passing game.

4) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
                        Lived in the shadow of the pounceys at florida, but is a fine prospect in his own right. will be better than starks imo (former gator who went in the 3rd)

5) Noel Devine RB WVU
                        Love me some noel devine. He bulked up impressively between the senior bowl (a dismal 165) and now hes over 180. He has elite vision, speed and strength, honestly pound for pound one of the strongest humans on the planet....the bench and squat he can throw up at his size shames all of the lineman at wvu. Hes a hell of a 3rd down back, and CAN run in between the tackles. He also has some unreal potential as a return man. Get mewelde off the roster in favor of noel.

6) DeAndre Brown WR Southern Miss
                        Hes my this years Mike Williams (we see how that worked out, i had mike williams mocked to us in the 5th in every mock i had last year) He would be a much better prospect if he wasnt labeled with these karakter konserns. big target, i think will make a team very happy.

7) Josh Bynes MLB Auburn
                        Bynes is a thumper as a MLB, hes pretty slow but makes up for it with very good instincts, could contribute as a backup and ST.

Other options that the steelers might look into include alex henery K nebraska, Rashad Carmichael CB VT, i think theres a considerable amount of interest in both of those prospects. Carmichael in the 3rd/4th, and Henery in the 6th
                        I would be fine with this

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                        Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• Originally posted by K Train View Post
                          while a agree with you i think that mcfadden and *** are 2 of the best tackling CBs in the league...look at how far that has gotten us with those two.

it seems like our coaching staff turns everyone into a good tackler, something they really stress and that IS something that can be taught...being a good cover guy is harder to come by, it might be something worth trying. (havent really seen alot of carmichael as opposed to some past hokies and some future stud DBs on that team) but i do think the steelers might have some genuine interest in him
                          I would say McFadden is pretty damn solid. He has just had injury issues the past few seasons, which effected his play.

Comment

• Marcus Gilbert, James Carpenter, and Jarriel King are visiting today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
                              I would say McFadden is pretty damn solid. He has just had injury issues the past few seasons, which effected his play.
                              i really really liked mcfadden as a rookie, i thought he was gonna be great and his potential was unreal. he did regress since then and after flopping in AZ he came back here and didnt impress....injuries were there, but as fara s a corner goes i think hes become a liability. hes a great tackler, but not to great in coverage anymore.

really the entire seconary other than ike is a liability in coverage and needs to be adjusted.

*** is a good blitzer, a good NB but shouldnt be matched up on TO and TEs like gronkowski like he was all year and got raped on both occasions, mcfadden was picked on alot and really makes you appreciate his tackling ability sometimes, clark is so slow and cant overcome troys overagrressivness which is something we need so bad in a FS since troy just torpedos himself everywhere.

id be perfectly ok with aaron williams in the first as a FS/CB and then curtis brown or ras-i in the second...hell id take deunta williams or quinton carter too and just overhaul the RCB, NB, and FS spot

just like oline was before pouncey, CB is a spot thats been ignored for too long or addressed pathetically in the later rounds the last 5 years
                              Last edited by K Train; 04-01-2011, 12:28 PM.
                              E]

Comment

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
                                Marcus Gilbert, James Carpenter, and Jarriel King are visiting today.
                                id definitely like gilbert
                                E]

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information