2011 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft/Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hines View Post
    I like Roc, but the dude does not tackle nor is he explosive. I'd pass.
    We need a slot guy with the ball skills to make splash plays as our #3 corner, we currently don't have that on the roster. I agree that his tackling needs work. Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

However, we're talking about a slot corner...a guy that's gonna cover the center part of the field for the most part. He'll have help from the safeties and linebackers. And lets not forget that he'll have plenty of veteran help in Taylor, McFadden, Polamalu and Clark...as well as Coach Lake to help develop him.
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

• Originally posted by ellsy82 View Post
      Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

sounds like another guy we know with long hair, but its not a big deal when he does it
      E]

Comment

We need a slot guy with the ball skills to make splash plays as our #3 corner, we currently don't have that on the roster. I agree that his tackling needs work. Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

However, we're talking about a slot corner...a guy that's gonna cover the center part of the field for the most part. He'll have help from the safeties and linebackers. And lets not forget that he'll have plenty of veteran help in Taylor, McFadden, Polamalu and Clark...as well as Coach Lake to help develop him.
        Said the same thing about Joe Burnet, and look at what happend. They are very silimar in terms of talent and ball skills. I like all my corners to be able to tackle. Will Gai sucks at playing on the outside, but he's a very good slot corner because he can tackle, blitz, etc. That's what I think a slot corner needs.

Comment

Said the same thing about Joe Burnet, and look at what happend. They are very silimar in terms of talent and ball skills. I like all my corners to be able to tackle. Will Gai sucks at playing on the outside, but he's a very good slot corner because he can tackle, blitz, etc. That's what I think a slot corner needs.
          Gaye and Maddison suffer from the same thing Ryan Clark does...horrible coverage and ball skills. Gaye can tackle, unless he tries to tackle AP again. He might be marginally better at blitzing than BMac, but when it comes down to it, he's the guy you're going to want to blitz the passer, because if you blitz someone else, you have a great liability in coverage skills in the remainder of your secondary with "Big Play" Bill Gaye back there.

At least Burnett had the added advantage of being a return man. Burnett actually produced in sample sizes due to all the injuries in our secondary two years ago.
          "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

• i actually KINDA liked burnett, he had the sweet feet in coverage i thought he was way more impressive than lewis.

he was a bad returner though, despite being pretty amazing at it in college ala willie reid
            E]

Comment

• I'm going to make a mock draft contest, which will be due next Thursday. It's an annual thing.

Comment

• Keith Williams G from Nebraska, Greg Little, and Marcus Cannon visited today. WR Vincent Brown visits tomorrow.

I'd LOVE Brown. Kid isn't fast, but he has sticky hands.

Comment

Keith Williams G from Nebraska, Greg Little, and Marcus Cannon visited today. WR Vincent Brown visits tomorrow.

I'd LOVE Brown. Kid isn't fast, but he has sticky hands.
                  Would love to have Cannon at RT or LG. Williams is a phonebox guy. No thanks. Little, I'd be okay with, I guess.
                  Last edited by ellsy82; 04-20-2011, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Would love to have Cannon at RT or LG. Williams is a phonebox guy. No thanks. Little, I'd be okay with, I guess.
                    They probably like Williams as a guy who can come in as a backup and potentially start. I like how he plays nasty in the run game. He could be like Kemo, minus the retardedness.

Comment

• i would absolutely ******* love greg little
                      E]

Comment

• Aaron Williams, Weslye Saunders, Davon Morgan, and Vincent Brown are visiting today.

Comment

I made three mock drafts today, which includes one trade down mock.

Mock one:

1) Cameron Heyward De Ohio State
                          2) James Carpenter OT/OG Alabama
                          3) Curtis Marsh CB Utah State
                          4) Austin Pettis WR Boise State
                          5) Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland
                          6) Mario Harvey LB Marshall
                          7) Frank Kearse NT Alabama A&M

Mock Two:

1) Aaron Williams CB Texas
                          2) Kenrick Ellis NT/DE Hampton
                          3) Greg Little WR UNC
                          4) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
                          6) Alex Henery K Nebraska
                          7) Mario Harvey LB Marshall

Mock Three:

Trade down from 31 to early second and get a fourth rounder

2a) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
                          2b) Sam Acho OLB Texas
                          3) Will Rackley G Leigh
                          4a) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
                          4b) Austin Pettis WR Boise State
                          7) Frank Kearse NT Alabama A&M

Don't like trading down. Our track record is banking on 1st round picks. More picks look better for mock drafts because we all throw in the players we like, but in reality, the Steelers don't. Hasn't been too bad lately in the middle rounds (they all can't pan out), but still, the 1st is where it's at for us.

I like a combination of mock one and two here.

3) Greg Little WR UNC

Yes, no Corner or NT. But a replacement for Hines, two big bodies to come up with Pouncey putting the fire out to all the OL trash talk, and a future Kicker (why people don't put more of a priority on this is beyond me), and a true #1 pick to feel good about in Heyward (actually makes the Hood pick look like **** now, which is a good thing...it's rare to have that many 3-4 DE's graded as first round picks, which is why Heyward is in the 30's. This pick would remind me of Vince Wilfork being there late).

Comment

• Originally posted by Pitt View Post

3) Greg Little WR UNC

Yes, no Corner or NT. But a replacement for Hines, two big bodies to come up with Pouncey putting the fire out to all the OL trash talk, and a future Kicker (why people don't put more of a priority on this is beyond me), and a true #1 pick to feel good about in Heyward (actually makes the Hood pick look like **** now, which is a good thing...it's rare to have that many 3-4 DE's graded as first round picks, which is why Heyward is in the 30's. This pick would remind me of Vince Wilfork being there late).
                            I'm all for Heyward in rd 1, but we can't possibly ignore the secondary like that. if we don't go with a corner in the first, it almost guarantees that we pick one in the 2nd.

Comment

• Carimi

I don't think there's much if any chance of this happening, but if Gabe Carimi somehow slid past the KC/Indy/Philly trio at 21-23 and was on the board @ 25, I'd be on-board with moving up to Seattle's pick at 25 and grabbing him. DB is a bigger need, but I think Carimi is a much better prospect than, say, Aaron Williams.

Comment

• Flo is looking to return. Good ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information