Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steelers sign defensive end Nick Eason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    It still ties up 1 million bucks, that could be used elsewhere. Yes we need depth. That is what Nua, Bailey, Hoke, and Kischke are. That makes 7+ million in back up DLmen, and we have starters that are not signed.

    Comment


    • #17
      We have the lowest cap space in the NFL right now, we're just above 1mil. That's a questionable move with the amount of room we have to work with IMO.

      Comment


      • #18
        blah blah, i don't care how this move looks. we are one of the best run organizations in all of sports. why does it matter how it looks to us peons?? we are the fans. lets start acting like it and support them. they know what they are doing. i am tired of ppl questioning what the FO is doing all of sudden.


        Silverback....still the best.

        +rep to Jakey for the sig

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
          blah blah, i don't care how this move looks. we are one of the best run organizations in all of sports. why does it matter how it looks to us peons?? we are the fans. lets start acting like it and support them. they know what they are doing. i am tired of ppl questioning what the FO is doing all of sudden.
          wow, easy lol. I wrote an article in which I ranked the top NFL GMs currently in the game and I had Colbert in my top 5, even given his short resume I still think the guy is one of the best. So, yes I very much have all the confidence in the world for our FO to continue leading this team in the right direction. Matter of fact I was going to add something along those lines to my post, but figured everyone would just see it as mere speculation, however we are in a tough situation with our roster and cap room so every move made is going to be put under microscope. As a true fan I don't have to like every move they make, but I will respect it.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by JayA55 View Post
            wow, easy lol. I wrote an article in which I ranked the top NFL GMs currently in the game and I had Colbert in my top 5, even given his short resume I still think the guy is one of the best. So, yes I very much have all the confidence in the world for our FO to continue leading this team in the right direction. Matter of fact I was going to add something along those lines to my post, but figured everyone would just see it as mere speculation, however we are in a tough situation with our roster and cap room so every move made is going to be put under microscope. As a true fan I don't have to like every move they make, but I will respect it.
            yea i know it just has been happening a lot lately. i guess it has been building up inside of me. my previous comment was directly typed to you. just in general and a lot of ppl once again are questioning this move. and yes i don't necessarily agree with every move they make, but i support it and as you said respect it.


            Silverback....still the best.

            +rep to Jakey for the sig

            Comment


            • #21
              Here is a little write-up by SI about the Steelers signing Eason. I hadn't known that Bailey went to Arizona, but since he did I think that this move does make sense. I agree that the FO knows what they are doing, so Eason is most likely at least a solid back-up. Plus, if he doesn't work out then we probably only spent 500k on him.

              http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

              More DL help from the draft will probably come, but you never know what will happen with a rookie, so you might as well sign a guy who has proven himself at least a little bit.

              Thanks to Jakey for the sweet sig

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by richdg View Post
                It still ties up 1 million bucks, that could be used elsewhere. Yes we need depth. That is what Nua, Bailey, Hoke, and Kischke are. That makes 7+ million in back up DLmen, and we have starters that are not signed.
                Nua hasn't broken the PS. Bailey is in Arizona, and Kirschke is a 10-year pro with Chronic back issues. This is a camp competition thing. I'm fine with it. Eason was going to be a 1st/2nd rounder until they found out he had severe ADD.

                Rich, Bailey is in Zona, and Nua hasn't made it off the PS. Kirschke is 10-11 years. If he gets cut after Camp, I don't see how we won't have the money to sign Ben/Troy/Faneca.

                Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by JayA55 View Post
                  We have the lowest cap space in the NFL right now, we're just above 1mil. That's a questionable move with the amount of room we have to work with IMO.
                  Don't forget...

                  Could be cap casualties:

                  Wilson: 2+M
                  Tuman: 1.5M
                  Okobi: 1.3+M

                  Since we didn't ask Okobi to restructure, we have a younger, more fiesty player in Phillips, and Simmons/Mahan are battling for OC... could be that Okobi gets cut.

                  If we get a solid TE, Tuman could be cut.

                  Perhaps we're aiming at a Day 1 ready to go out of the box WR (Jason Hill) because we're looking to cut Wilson?

                  Thats a total of 4.8+/- M Not to mention other players I don't know about. That was just off the top of my head (I don't remember the exact figures.)

                  Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                    Nua hasn't broken the PS. Bailey is in Arizona, and Kirschke is a 10-year pro with Chronic back issues. This is a camp competition thing. I'm fine with it. Eason was going to be a 1st/2nd rounder until they found out he had severe ADD.

                    Rich, Bailey is in Zona, and Nua hasn't made it off the PS. Kirschke is 10-11 years. If he gets cut after Camp, I don't see how we won't have the money to sign Ben/Troy/Faneca.
                    did you just repeat yourself??


                    Silverback....still the best.

                    +rep to Jakey for the sig

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                      did you just repeat yourself??
                      Yea... I did.

                      I guess I was stressing a point.

                      we have "4" DE's. We're talking about having Keisel doing some LB drops and rushes, Aaron Smith was just resigned, we still have Nua who hasn't made the active Roster.

                      I think I was really pointing out that Bailey joined Morey in Zona...

                      Originally posted by Steelers.com on Nick Eason
                      PITTSBURGH — The Steelers signed unrestricted free agent defensive end Nick Eason to a one-year contract, the team announced today. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

                      Eason (6-3, 305) was originally drafted by the Denver Broncos in the fourth round (114th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft out of Clemson. He suffered a season-ending injury in training camp and spent his rookie season on the Reserve/Injured List.

                      In 2004, Eason was waived by the Broncos following training camp but was signed to their practice squad for three weeks. After being waived by Denver, Eason was signed to the Cleveland Browns' practice squad where he spent seven weeks before being signed to their active roster for the final five weeks of the season.

                      Eason spent the past two seasons on the Browns' active roster, playing in a total of 29 games during that span. He posted a career-high 23 tackles and two passes defensed in 2006 after recording his first two career sacks during the 2005 season.
                      Is it just me or do Shaun Nua and Brett Keisel seem identical?


                      PRO (0-0/0-0): Drafted in the seventh round (228th overall) by the Steelers in the 2005 NFL Draft.


                      PRO (34-0/8-0) The Steelers' final draft pick in 2002, was one of the seven draft selections to make the final roster…continued to developed into a solid role player along the defensive line in 2004…grown into one of the team's top special teams players…signed a four-year contract with the Steelers during the 2006 offseason.

                      Hopefully Nua Developes as fast and well as Keisel (If not faster and better) and then we'll have a duo of BYU 3-4 DE's taht scare the **** out of everyone.

                      Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        My point is, they are signing "camp" players , when we should be focused on our starters. Yes, if he gets cut in camp, it doesn't effect our cap. Other than any bonus money. Wilson, Mahan, Tuman, Okabi, Simmons, Clark, Eason, Hoke, and Townsend combine for a ton of money, about 16 million. None of these guys are good NFL starting players. Would you rather have that group or the group of Faneca, Ben, Troy, A. Smith, and Porter?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Again, we're stocking up with other teams rejects because of the poor production of our recent mid to late round drafts. I hope we do better this draft.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by richdg View Post
                            My point is, they are signing "camp" players , when we should be focused on our starters. Yes, if he gets cut in camp, it doesn't effect our cap. Other than any bonus money. Wilson, Mahan, Tuman, Okabi, Simmons, Clark, Eason, Hoke, and Townsend combine for a ton of money, about 16 million. None of these guys are good NFL starting players. Would you rather have that group or the group of Faneca, Ben, Troy, A. Smith, and Porter?
                            I beg to differ on Okobi, Townsend and Hoke.

                            Wilson we could cut for Hill, Mahan could be a solid RG (Better than Simmons so improvement there), Tuman I'd drop for Pudewell, Simmons was still a valid part of a superbowl team.

                            Okobi in limited chances has shown potential and last season The oline IMO Played better with Okobi in over Hartings.

                            Townsend is an expensive vet, but if he's such a bad player and the likes, he wouldn't have won a starting spot for the last how many years..

                            And don't forget Hoke, albeit not Casey Hampton good, was a solid reason why we went 15-1 Bens rookie season. He's not near the run stuffer Big Snack is, but he did a damn good job.

                            I agree with your assessment of the aging veterans, I'd like to get rid of Okobi, Tuman, Wilson and Simmons(Last year on contract). Which is what I think the new regime will do... Drafting a day 1 WR this year means the days are numbered for Wilson... a TE period could spell imminent departure for Tuman.. and With Simmons/Mahan competing for Center... Okobi hasn't been asked to restructure.. so he's likely gone.

                            Nick Eason has potential to be damn good, it's just a matter of the light going on and us using him right. He's a much better 3-4 DE than Rodney Bailey. I think this is just a safety signing in case we don't get a 3-4 DE we like.

                            As much as people are worried about Faneca/Ben/Troy, we have the money to sign them.

                            Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X

                            Debug Information