Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News:
    Polamalu reportedly suffered a sprained MCL that is expected to keep him out of the next two games, but no surgery will be required, the Post-Gazette reports.

Found that on ESPN

Comment

• Needs:

1. OL - ben was touched every play against b-more
      2. CB- townsend s*cks and taylor is inconsistent
      3. OLB- joey porter s*cks and needs to shut his mouth and make plays and not celebrate a tackle when we're down 17-0

cowher has given up and should be gone next yeear has no emotion
      play calling has killed us whats with all the screens
      why do we run 1st and 2nd down to get to that dreded 3rd and long

sig by me
      Go buckeyes,steelers, cavs

PM me for jersey transfers

Comment

• Originally posted by Smooth Criminal
        I just read the first 3 words and thought you meant Duce.

But really you don't want a huge guy. Look what we have with Starks. Sure he is huge and strong but he is competely immobile.

DEs are becoming smaller and faster every year. Guys like Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, Terrell Suggs, Derrikc Burgess and Dwight Freeney just run past all of these huge tackles. Plus with the 3-4 defense you get guys like Ware, Merriman and Porter as the edge rushers and they can usually run past tackles.

Huge tackles seem like a great thing but tackles in todays game need to be more mobile to keep up with the speed of the DEs. Some of the huge guys are great run blockers but horrible pass blockers because they can't keep up.
        Once again I'm left wishing that I could go back and quote some of my old posts 'cause this one is almost pleagerism.

I'm not sure if smooth, mr. stiller, or richdg will remember my post about the trend I've been watching over the last 12 or so years in the NFL:

Guys like Pace, Ogden, Brown, and along those size lines, Starks, were neccessitated by guys like Reggie White and Bruce Smith because they could handle their bull-rush and power-swim moves.

Now, guys like the ones smooth mentioned above are two steps past the line before these big tackles are even out of their stance. Being 6'6" myself, I believe most of the problem comes not only from being too heavy, but too tall. If I'm going against a guy who's my exact weight but stands only 5'11" he's going to get the jump on me every time. Thusly, a guy who's 6'7" 320 lbs just doesn't stand a chance with a guy who's 6' 260

It's tough to find the happy medium between a guy who's big enough to not get run over, and fast enough to not get run around. Glad I'm not a coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDub
          Originally posted by Smooth Criminal
          I just read the first 3 words and thought you meant Duce.

But really you don't want a huge guy. Look what we have with Starks. Sure he is huge and strong but he is competely immobile.

DEs are becoming smaller and faster every year. Guys like Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, Terrell Suggs, Derrikc Burgess and Dwight Freeney just run past all of these huge tackles. Plus with the 3-4 defense you get guys like Ware, Merriman and Porter as the edge rushers and they can usually run past tackles.

Huge tackles seem like a great thing but tackles in todays game need to be more mobile to keep up with the speed of the DEs. Some of the huge guys are great run blockers but horrible pass blockers because they can't keep up.
          Once again I'm left wishing that I could go back and quote some of my old posts 'cause this one is almost pleagerism.

I'm not sure if smooth, mr. stiller, or richdg will remember my post about the trend I've been watching over the last 12 or so years in the NFL:

Guys like Pace, Ogden, Brown, and along those size lines, Starks, were neccessitated by guys like Reggie White and Bruce Smith because they could handle their bull-rush and power-swim moves.

Now, guys like the ones smooth mentioned above are two steps past the line before these big tackles are even out of their stance. Being 6'6" myself, I believe most of the problem comes not only from being too heavy, but too tall. If I'm going against a guy who's my exact weight but stands only 5'11" he's going to get the jump on me every time. Thusly, a guy who's 6'7" 320 lbs just doesn't stand a chance with a guy who's 6' 260

It's tough to find the happy medium between a guy who's big enough to not get run over, and fast enough to not get run around. Glad I'm not a coach.
          I remember reading it. And as we need power on the right side, we still need an athletic rt we're blocking for a RB that runs a 4.3. We need to let ben actually stand out of his drop before getting hit. After yesterday i'm surprised he's not injured and can still walk.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by steelcrew43
            Needs:

1. OL - ben was touched every play against b-more
            2. CB- townsend s*cks and taylor is inconsistent
            3. OLB- joey porter s*cks and needs to shut his mouth and make plays and not celebrate a tackle when we're down 17-0

cowher has given up and should be gone next yeear has no emotion
            play calling has killed us whats with all the screens
            why do we run 1st and 2nd down to get to that dreded 3rd and long
            Do you realize Porter gets double teamed. He is the heart and soul of the defense. His celebration is more of a way to try and pump the team up. At least he wants to be out there playing. The only other guy out there that seems to give 100% is Troy. Better watch the Steelers a little more closely, without Porter we have no emotion.

Comment

• These are some free agents I think we should go after. Knowing the steelers we won’t sign any of them, but what the hell its fun to speculate.

Free Agents
              RB
              Good power packs
              Anthony Thomas
              Musa Smith
              Just a possible super star.
              Michael Turner

WR
              We need a tall physical presence in the red zone.
              Ernest Wilford
              Good Return Man
              Wes Welker
              Same as Wilford
              Drew Bennet

TE
              We need another quality tight end to ignore.
              Daniel Graham
              Ben Utecht
              Ben Hartsock

Seattle has to resign their maybe we can snag some of their guys.
              OT
              Jordan Black
              Sean Locklear

OG
              Eric Steinbach
              Floyd Womack

C
              Robbie Tobeck
              Rich Braham

CB
              Asante Samuel
              Ricky Manning

LB
              Tully Banta Cain
              Lance Briggs
              Chase Blackburn
              Jason Short
              Adalius Thomas

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
              Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

• Originally posted by DeathbyStat
                These are some free agents I think we should go after. Knowing the steelers we won’t sign any of them, but what the hell its fun to speculate.

Free Agents
                RB
                Good power packs
                Anthony Thomas
                Musa Smith
                Just a possible super star.
                Michael Turner

WR
                We need a tall physical presence in the red zone.
                Ernest Wilford
                Good Return Man
                Wes Welker
                Same as Wilford
                Drew Bennet

TE
                We need another quality tight end to ignore.
                Daniel Graham
                Ben Utecht
                Ben Hartsock

Seattle has to resign their maybe we can snag some of their guys.
                OT
                Jordan Black
                Sean Locklear

OG
                Eric Steinbach
                Floyd Womack

C
                Robbie Tobeck
                Rich Braham

CB
                Asante Samuel
                Ricky Manning

LB
                Tully Banta Cain
                Lance Briggs
                Chase Blackburn
                Jason Short
                Adalius Thomas
                I'd add Kawika Mitchell, Brandon Short, and possibly, Ladell Betts.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

• Scott's new mock is up. He has us taking Blaylock at 13. Not a bad pick but I think it is a bit of a reach this high in the draft. Interior lineman tend to fall and we should be able to land a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I think we need to pick up one of the elite tackles while they are still on the board in the first round. With Jake Long gone Sam Baker becomes the next best pick.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• I'd like to see us pick up Adalius Thomasin free agency, but I doubt we would be able to afford him because a lot of teams will be willing to shell out the big bucks to pick him up. I wasn't able to watch the game on Sunday, but I watched some of the clips from the game and I listened to it on the radio and the announcers were talking about him and how they played him in a similar sort of way like we use Polamalu by having line up in different places. They were also talking about how Missouri used to have him kind of roam the field before the snap to confuse defenses. Could you imagine both him and Polamalu flying all over the field confusing the heck out of QB's? You would never know where the blitz was coming from.

Also, I was looking at Scott's new mock and I think if we're looking for a tackle in the first and Long is taken, we could trade down to later in the first and pick up Levi Brown as well as some later picks. He's a big guy at 6-5, 325 but is very athletic for his size and can easily get upfield for screens and other things of that sort. Much more mobile and agile than Starks is.

Comment

• We won't go after Adalius. Sure he is a great player but he will definately be overpaid because he is having one of the best years of his career this year. The Steelers just don't go after guys like that.

Plus unless something happens with Porter, Farrior or Haggans we will already have 3 linebackers getting paid pretty high salaries.

Comment

• I agree that we probably wont go after him because of how much he would cost, but you have to admit that would be one scary combination. If Porter tries to hold out for a bigger contract this offseason I dont think the front office would even hesitate to try and unload him simply for his lack of production on the field this past year, as well as his salary. That would free up some cash, but I still doubt we would win in a bidding war.

Comment

• He is a great player and would be an awesome 3-4 OLB but there is no way we even try to sign him. He will want way to much money, probably as much as Porter will be asking for.

Comment

• Yeah, I would imagine he would command the big bucks in the offseason, and we normally aren't willing to pay that kind of money for free agents.

On another note, what do you guys think will happen with Max "The Turnstyle" Starks this offseason? I think we can all agree he hasn't been playing well this season but he's an RFA so we can sign him to a 1 year contract. Do you think we will not sign him at all, or offer him the contract? Also, if another team makes him an offer, will we match it or get the compensentory(is that a word?) pick? Your thoughts.

Comment

• Starks has the size, not the skill. I can give you 30 OT's that are 6-6+ and well over 300 lbs. It is the prototype. True, LT's tend to be smaller than RT's. Most teams run to the right. You do realize that Peppers and M. Williams are large DE's right? Both are 6-6 + and 290+. Part of our problem is the scheme. I have neer been, nor will I be a fan of only 1 back in the backfield on passing plays. If a team sends 7, there simply are not enough to block. that is what happened to us on Sunday.

Comment

• It would be nice to resign starks for another year, he is only 25 and its not to the point where we label him as a failure and start to look else where. Given another year, and the right incentive with a top rookie behind him, he may very well start to play better.

As far as the mock draft goes, Blalock can play both Guard and Tackle, but I do agree that if we are there at 13 we should trade down, however, I don't think we will be that low at the end of the season. In either case, Blalock does add a lot of depth to practically all line positions.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information