Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by richdg
    Starks has the size, not the skill. I can give you 30 OT's that are 6-6+ and well over 300 lbs. It is the prototype. True, LT's tend to be smaller than RT's. Most teams run to the right. You do realize that Peppers and M. Williams are large DE's right? Both are 6-6 + and 290+. Part of our problem is the scheme. I have neer been, nor will I be a fan of only 1 back in the backfield on passing plays. If a team sends 7, there simply are not enough to block. that is what happened to us on Sunday.
    I agree to some extent, however, if they rush 7 that leaves 4 in coverage, Ben finds the hot reciever and he is wide open.

What happened Sunday is Baltimore was beating us in 1 on 1 situations. Even when they rushed four they got pressure and sacks on us.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• I think Regardless we should Trade down for Both of the Patriots firsts.

Grab an OT or Dwayne Jarrett, and David Harris.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by richdg
        Starks has the size, not the skill. I can give you 30 OT's that are 6-6+ and well over 300 lbs. It is the prototype. True, LT's tend to be smaller than RT's. Most teams run to the right. You do realize that Peppers and M. Williams are large DE's right? Both are 6-6 + and 290+. Part of our problem is the scheme. I have neer been, nor will I be a fan of only 1 back in the backfield on passing plays. If a team sends 7, there simply are not enough to block. that is what happened to us on Sunday.
        I've said this too and think it's such an underrated fact. It's like people are afraid to say it's anyone elses fault other than the O-Line. And then we get bashed for thinking the o-line "played well", which I'm gonna say i don't think any of us think. Sure, the o-line was horrible and often was beaten. But, how bout the coaching and Roethlisberger's decision. The Ravens were bringing way more than 5 people. The 5 o-lineman can't block everyone. If someone comes in uncontested, maybe it's a missed assignment, but maybe it's just a good blitz. We should have been keeping 2 backs in, or an extra TE or two. If you wanna blame Max Starks or Marvel Smith, they weren't going to get any better during the game, so put a TE beside one of them or both. Send only 2 receivers out and give Ben time. OR, how bout some short receiver patterns. If a team is going to blitz 7, we really should be able to have our way with 3 step drops and quick passes. Way too many 7 step drops, slow decisions by Roethlisberger, and involved passing routes. This is by no means a way of saying the offensive line played well, or is a strength. But cmon, there were several factors and several horrible aspects to that offense on Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by THav916
          Originally posted by richdg
          I've said this too and think it's such an underrated fact. It's like people are afraid to say it's anyone elses fault other than the O-Line. And then we get bashed for thinking the o-line "played well", which I'm gonna say i don't think any of us think. Sure, the o-line was horrible and often was beaten. But, how bout the coaching and Roethlisberger's decision. The Ravens were bringing way more than 5 people. The 5 o-lineman can't block everyone. If someone comes in uncontested, maybe it's a missed assignment, but maybe it's just a good blitz. We should have been keeping 2 backs in, or an extra TE or two. If you wanna blame Max Starks or Marvel Smith, they weren't going to get any better during the game, so put a TE beside one of them or both. Send only 2 receivers out and give Ben time. OR, how bout some short receiver patterns. If a team is going to blitz 7, we really should be able to have our way with 3 step drops and quick passes. Way too many 7 step drops, slow decisions by Roethlisberger, and involved passing routes. This is by no means a way of saying the offensive line played well, or is a strength. But cmon, there were several factors and several horrible aspects to that offense on Saturday.
          Granted Thav, but it's been a constant all season. Ben has played his best games being able to hike the ball and get out of the pocket. They had 6 sacks on 4 man rushes. 4 Dlineman vs 5 Olineman... how did we lose 6 times? He didn't even have time to make decisions and when he did the WR's weren't getting open.

A lot of this I blame on the coaching. We got way out coached. However, for an Offensive line bolstering 3 former pro bowlers.. (I'll give Hartings a pass) why was Keomeatu not given a chance after Simmons was blowing his chances?

I'm really starting to think Russ Grimm isn't as good as he's hyped to be, he seemed clueless.

It didn't help Hines was sporting a bad knee. But It's not like we have Great WR's to begin with, We should've made a move for Porter or Moss.

And We should Trade Porter, or cut him, maybe tender starks for 1 more season, and Sign Adalius. He lined up on the Slot reciever alot, and played Rover, he'd be a monster with Troy.

Comment

• Hello all, i'm new to the site..

Joey Porter should only play 5 more games in a Steelers jersey. As a pass rusher and leader, he has failed miserably. He's a bad LB, and is going on hype alone, hello Ray Lewis?

He'll be let go.

Adalius Thomas? Nah. He'll be 30 (granted he's only had 4 NFL seasons) but we shouldn't target an older LB.

What this team needs badly is a Sean Merriman/Demarcus Ware type LB. We need a badass from our LB core. I don't really see a deep impact OLB in this draft (Gaines Adams?). Um, Anthony Spencer, Woodley?

We'll be drafting 8th-15th, either man up and take a stud like Adams, perhaps take Jake Long or trade down and take an Anthony Spencer.

This team only needs a few tweaks, are young talent just needs time to improve (WR/DB). Our special teams is awful, including are awful punter.

Here are my cuts..

Staley, Porter, Morey (heh), Simmons (he's a slob), Tuman, Gardocki.

Some names who I hope we can 'talk about' us drafting in the next few months..

QB
            Tyler Palko (Pitt) (PSU fan here, but I like the guy)
            John Beck (BYU)
            Justin Rascatti (James Madison)

RB
            Brian Leonard (Rutgers)
            Tony Hunt (PSU)

WR
            None

TE
            Tyler Ecker (Michigan)
            Jonny Harline (BYU)

OL
            Jake Long (Michigan)
            Sam Baker (USC)
            Doug Free (Northern Illinois)
            Dan Inman (Georgia)
            Doug Datish (OSU)
            Kasey Studdard (Texas)
            Kyle Young (Fresno)
            Ryan Kalil (USC)
            Dan Mozes (WVU)

DE/OLB
            Brian Smith (Missouri)
            Lamarr Woodley (Michigan)
            Gaines Adams (Clemson)
            Anthony Spencer (Purdue)

ILB
            David Harris (Michigan)
            Pat Willis (Ole Miss)
            HB Blades (Pitt)
            Thadeaus Washington (Colorado)

CB
            William Gay (Louisville)
            Tarell Brown (Texas)
            Aaron Ross (Texas)

S
            Brandon Meriweather (Miami)
            Sabby Piscitelli (Oregon State)
            Roderick Rogers (Wisconsin)

K/P
            Mason Crosby (Colorado)
            Dan Sepulveda (Baylor)
            Brandon Fields (Michigan State)

Comment

• Welcome Bababooey,

Adalius Thomas is 29, but he's in the prime, he can certainly sign a 3 year contract and train a young gun.

I would love a badass in the OLB, but there's not a freakish talent for OLB this year. Brian Smith, Maybe Jarvis Moss, perhaps Mkristo Bruce.

I like Anthony Spencer but he's going to be late first round early 2nd and thats when we have to land David Harris.

Brian Smith had a season ending injury that kept him out of the first/second round and could probably be had for a 4th.

Right now the safe pick is probably Jake Long, unless Calvin Johnson amazingly falls to us.

We need to add a reciever some where. Whether it be Ryne Robinson or someone like that with our 2nd 4th.

Simmons, Tuman won't be cut. They have too much invested in Simmons to cut him and unless they sign a replacement for Tuman, there's no way we cut him. Morey shouldn't be cut, this guy has made plays on special teams all season and probably has been the most consistent player on the team.

However, we may cut Ced Wilson or trade him for cheap. I hoped he would turn into a solid 2 but he's pretty bad.

Porter won't ever be cut, but I'm hoping he could be traded.. he could get us an additional 2nd rounder as well.

Starks IMO needs to be tendered. We'll take Jake Long 1st round to replace him and he could eventually move to LT, but if Marvel picks himself up, Jake succeeds at RT, i see no reason to move him.

QB:
              Palko would be a good candidate
              Beck is by far my favorite
              Stanback has been scouted heavily by Pitt. Whether to play WR or what, but he has

RB:
              * unless we get extra picks we probably should focus on places we need a future #1 or need a #1 right away. So RB/FB is probably at best Day 2
              *If Leonard fell to round 3 you'd have to take him, but he's going to put up amazing measureables and i doubt he'll be touchable.
              *Tony Hunt would be the perfect compliment to Willie. I'd like to see us Cut Haynes, Draft Hunt (If we could manage an extra 2nd).
              *Other Guys:
              Ronnie McGill, UNC
              Alley Broussard, LSU (My favorite) if he recovers from his knee surgery better, could be Jamal Lewis 2.0... without the drugs and hella better attitude.
              Jehuu Caulcrick, MSU

WR: I know you don't have anyone, but we desperately need a guy to be a #3 for now. My guys are:

Dwayne Bowe, LSU
              Steve Smith, USC (Has been heavily, heavily scouted)
              Dwayne Jarrett, USC(again scouted)

TE:
              I'm not a fan of Ecker and Harline is ok.
              I'd rather see Matt Spaeth, Joe Newton, or Clark Harris(also scouted)

OL: I'd make some changes.

Jake Long definitely
              Sam Baker #2 choice
              Doug Free, he's been inconsistent this year. He was paving the way for Wolfe, but he slowly just started being non effective.
              I'm not a fan of Datish.
              Kyle Young is more of a pass blocker, than a run blocker, and we could very well migrate that way, but I love Mozes and Kalil's upside and their Athleticism. Kalil has more pass blocking experience, but I think Mozes has the speed/rush blocking experience.

DE:
              A couple guys and myself have been tossing around the idea of drafting Alan Branch to take over RDE and move Keisel to LOLB. Keisel was faster than Larry Foote and right now he's pretty much our best Pass Rusher. There's your not so famous Merriman.

However for Dlineman:
              Xzavie Jackson, Missouri
              Van Houston, Memphis
              Ikaika Alama-Francis, Hawaii (Plays DE in 3-4)
              Alan Branch, Michigan

NT:

Conrad Bolston, Maryland
              Quinton Echols, KSU

OLB:

Brian Smith
              Jarvis Moss
              Anthony Spencer (IF he falls due to a 40 time or something)
              Stephen Nicholas, USF
              William Beckford, Rutgers
              Dallas Sartz, USC
              Marcus Bacon, Missouri.

ILB:
              David Harris is a Manimal. Which is why after this post i'll update my offseason and do a new version of my mock.
              HB Blades is horribly overrated, he has solid instincts, but outside of that, I think he's overrated. He may drop FAR come draft day.
              Pat Willis is a good LB I just think he'd be much better in a 4-3.
              Thaddeus Washington, i like him, I just think he's too small and may make a solid cover 2 lb.

Dedrick Harrington, Brian Smiths Teammate is a guy we should look long and hard at.

Another guy you might not notice is Rutgers DT Eric Foster. He's a wrecking crew on the interior Dline, but only weighs 265 lbs and is incredibly fast and agile for the position. Could be the next Teddy Bruschi like Convert.

CB:

I strongly dislike both texas corners, they are horribly overrated.
              William Cool is a new name for Steelers fans which I like.

I think CB is a need. We need either to solidify 1 thing this offseason. Either the Pass rush(which i'd rather) or a solid #1 that is a shutdown Corner. If we did the corner, there's only 1 guy, Darrelle Revis.

We have Anthony Smith at FS but his Cuse counterpart at CB, Tanard Jackson would be a solid Nickel, which isn't bad for a 3rd rounder, and he's great on Punt coverage units.

S:
              Brandon Meriweather is a bad pick, no offense. He's a thug, and he's not a steeler player.
              Sabby Piscatelli, if possible would be my safety pick. he's got size, and he's great in run support. He could be the guy that comes in and gives Anthony Smith a break. A Smith -> Piscatelli, Polamalu -> Clark.
              Roderick Rogers hasn't lived up to expectations.

I don't think we need a kicker, but we should take a long look at Dan Sepulveda.

Comment

• If we are going to take a running back in this draft, I think we should take Tony Hunt. I have a Penn State bias here, but he is the best all around back in the draft. He doesnt have the speed that the others have, but he's got great hands out of the backfield, and more importantly, the best blocker.

Galen Hall, the Penn State O coordinator, said he was one of the best runningbacks he's coached, and Galen coached Emmitt Smith (obviously Emmitt was the best). But Tony Hunt is a serious man-beast and it takes literally 3 guys to bring him down. I think Hunt could easily replace Verron as the third down back, and would eventually move his way up to the #2 man behind Willie. But enough of my talking.

Comment

• Stiller, another great and indepth post, they are a pleasure to read.

As a UMD student I would love for us to get Bolston. He is very underrated in my opinion, and I was very pleased to hear Scott shed some light on him, and I would love for him to play in black and gold. The guy has great measurables, but is over looked statwise because of the scheme MD runs defensively (see Merriman).

I would also love to grab Tony Hunt in the 3rd round, or Leonard, although I could see both of these guys going in the late second.

I don't see secondary as much as a need as I do pass-rushers. What do you think about Woodley? His motor is amazing and I could see him making huge plays for us. If we can get two first rounders I would love to grab him and a Offensive linemen such as Levi Brown.

Comment

• What do you guys think of my offseason blueprint for the Steelers?

FA - sign Adalius Thomas if you can, sign Maniwani (however you spell it) OG from Jacksonville

Draft.

1. Marcus McCauley/Reggie Nelson
                    2. Brian Leonard
                    3. Anthony Spencer
                    4. Germaine Race

I think you get great sleeper value at RB in Race later on, Leonard is the perfect Hback in a 2 TE offense, Spencer is a sleeper DE/OLB tweener that would arguably fit your scheme just as good as any of these 1st round "talents", and Reggie Nelson/McCauley brings some stability to your secondary who is missing Hope.

Nelson is probably better than McCauley bc he can play both FS and CB, which brings extra versatility. McCauley is a Cromartie like prospect, so hes a boom or bust.

What do you guys think? I didn't include a WR because I think you gotta give your 1st rounder some more time to prove himself.

I know I didn't address Tackle, but I think these adjustments on defense and in the run game will improve your pass game indirectly, just like it did the past 2 years.

Comment

• I like the Leonard / Spencer picks, and although I am a fan of Reggie Nelson I would rather see us go Offensive Line or dominant linebacker/pass rusher in round one.

I think we should give Anthony Smith, our 3rd round pick out of Syracuse last year a little time to develop, I know the Pitt. scouts were impressed with his ability.

I am not too keen on the guard from Jacksonville, or on paying Thomas the fat contract he will undoubtedly want.

But, I think you are right in what we need to improve.

Comment

• I dont think we should go after a guard unless its drafting a guy like Blalock who can go between guard and tackle. Simmons is still under contract and Kemo is right behind him and should be given a shot before picking up someone else to fix the position. If we go O-line it either needs to be a tackle to battle Starks for a spot if he's still there, or a center if Hartings retires and Okobi just cant cut it.

I really like the idea of us trading down in the first round to get some extra picks. Trading with the Pats to get both of their 1st rounders would be spectacular, especially if they are a low pick and are targeting a guy like Paul Posluszny who could go higher than they are at. An ideal situation might be getting 2 first rounders and grabbing an OT and maybe a WR or linebacker like Harris late in the 1st would be very nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                          What do you guys think of my offseason blueprint for the Steelers?

FA - sign Adalius Thomas if you can, sign Maniwani (however you spell it) OG from Jacksonville

Draft.

1. Marcus McCauley/Reggie Nelson
                          2. Brian Leonard
                          3. Anthony Spencer
                          4. Germaine Race

I think you get great sleeper value at RB in Race later on, Leonard is the perfect Hback in a 2 TE offense, Spencer is a sleeper DE/OLB tweener that would arguably fit your scheme just as good as any of these 1st round "talents", and Reggie Nelson/McCauley brings some stability to your secondary who is missing Hope.

Nelson is probably better than McCauley bc he can play both FS and CB, which brings extra versatility. McCauley is a Cromartie like prospect, so hes a boom or bust.

What do you guys think? I didn't include a WR because I think you gotta give your 1st rounder some more time to prove himself.

I know I didn't address Tackle, but I think these adjustments on defense and in the run game will improve your pass game indirectly, just like it did the past 2 years.
                          It looks good on paper but the Steelers will never do it. At will never come anywhere near Pittsburgh. We have a ton of money tied up in Porter, Haggans and Farrior and even if something is doen there they won't want to put a ton of money into AT.

I don't like the first rounder either. I havn't given up on Ike and McFadden has looked like he can start this year. Clark hasn't looked bad either and Anthony Smith has looked pretty good on special teams and in the preseason. If we do go corner, I'd rather have Revis.

I really want a guy like Jake Long in the first round. OL has been a position we go after in the first round alot and it is clearly a need. With Starks being a RFA I can see him being let go and taking a guy early in the first. Guard isn't as much of a need because even though Simmons and Kemoeatu havn't gotten the job done they are both still under contract next year and I can't see us going after a guard in FA or in the early rounds of the draft when we are paying Faneca and Simmons what they are getting.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• Originally posted by skarocksoi
                            If we are going to take a running back in this draft, I think we should take Tony Hunt. I have a Penn State bias here, but he is the best all around back in the draft. He doesnt have the speed that the others have, but he's got great hands out of the backfield, and more importantly, the best blocker.

Galen Hall, the Penn State O coordinator, said he was one of the best runningbacks he's coached, and Galen coached Emmitt Smith (obviously Emmitt was the best). But Tony Hunt is a serious man-beast and it takes literally 3 guys to bring him down. I think Hunt could easily replace Verron as the third down back, and would eventually move his way up to the #2 man behind Willie. But enough of my talking.
                            I agree with Tony Hunt. I would like the Trio of Najeh, Hunt, and Parker, Perhaps with Leonard around to play some H-Back and to jump in if Najeh gets hurt.

And Like I said I have a big post coming.

I have one with What if I could pull off as a GM, and what is more realistic.

Probably involving... Starks, Porter, and Simmons Gone.

Comment

• Cowher may be sticking around..

http://www.theredzone.org/news/showa...ArticleID=4654

Comment

• Here is the big post (Next)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information