No announcement yet.

Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowher also loved the idea of drafting Dunta Robinson the year we got Ben. If the Texans didn't take him before us I have read we wopuld have taken him.

I just don't think corner is a first round need this year. Ask yourself what the worst two areas for the Steelers have been this year other than the obivous turnovers. They are O-line and pass rush. Thats what we need to adress in the first 2 rounds.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

I think the Browns are a better team than their record looks like but Frye hasn't played as well as some of the Browns fans have expected and their secondary isn't very good. I think Ben will have a huge day. Our defense is good enough to stop their offense as long as we don't play like we did against NO. We need to have Polamalu back for this game.

Comment

Some good news today. Both Polamalu and Harrison practiced today. Polamalu said he feels great and expects to play. Harrison said he is still listed as doubtful so that is what he is. Hartings played so but Okobi was lined up with the starters. Townsend and Reid both sat out with their injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule
          I think Steve Smith would really help us out. I like Tyler Palko a lot, I'd like to see the Saints get him, but he'd be a great backup for Big Ben as well. He has that mentality and toughness that Cowher looks for.

I wonder how much their considering Brian Leonard. He's a do-it-all, big back.

I think the Steelers are going to go BPA in the first round at these positions: OL, LB, DE, RB. Cowher isn't known for taking first round CB's.

I think we should get our second win in a row this weekend against the Browns.
          Cowher I believe has never taken a first round RB. only 2 taken in the last 23 years. both before his time.

My thinking behind the leonard pick up.

Give us some versatility. Leonard could line up in front of Willie, because, as much as I love Kreider, he's not fast enough to be out blocking for willie, meanwhile Leonard could block, disengage and block another guy, letting willie get deeper. Plus he's got hands and is a lot faster. Could be our 3rd down back and FB.

I have to wait until the season is over to be accurate, but Revis isn't exactly a Crazy idea.

Colclough isn't necesarily coming back, Townsend is getting really old. Ike is Regressing it seems (From lack of Pass rush), and McFadden is starting his rookie mistakes. I could really see us gettin Revis round 1. gives us a young quadro of solid corners Revis, Taylor, McFadden and Madison.

Here's a draft I could see:

1) Darrelle Revis / Victor Abiamiri
          2) David Harris
          3) Brian Leonard / Tony Hunt
          4) James Marten
          4) Brian Smith
          5) Kevin Kolb/ Jordan Palmer/ John Beck/ Steve Smith
          6) Eric Foster
          6) Ikaika Alama-Francis
          7) William Beckford.

UDFA:

Sawyer Smith QB
          Ronnie McGill or Germaine Race RB
          Cory Anderson FB
          Steve Buches TE
          Van Houston DE
          Quinton Echols NT
          Ramon Guzman OLB
          Joe Sturdivant FS
          Adam Podlesh or Adam Graessle P

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

I think Kolb and Smith will go higher than round 5 and I think Round 2 might be a little too early to take David Harris.

We do need a LB in the second round, though. Maybe someone like H.B. Blades or a good pass rushing OLB.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
            WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule
              I think Kolb and Smith will go higher than round 5 and I think Round 2 might be a little too early to take David Harris.

We do need a LB in the second round, though. Maybe someone like H.B. Blades or a good pass rushing OLB.
              Nah, HB Blades is really WAY overrated. I'd really rather have Clint Session if I had to take a Pitt LB.

I think Pittsburgh Relies on taking later LBs.

3rd/4th/5th are their LB Time..

Porter was a 3rd... Haggans was a 5th.

From 1982:

First Rounders:

QB: 1

Ben Roethlisberger(04)

RB: 2

Walter Abercrombie(82)
              Tim Worley(89)

WR: 5

Louis Lipps(84)
              Charles Johnson (94)
              Troy Edwards (99) Ugh
              Plaxico Burress (00)
              Santonio Holmes (06)

TE: 3

Eric Green (90)
              Mark Bruener(95)
              Heath Miller (05)

OL: 6

John Rienstra (86)
              Tom Ricketts (89)
              Leon Searcy (92)
              Jermaine Stephens (96)
              Alan Faneca (98)
              Kendall Simmons (02)

DL: 4

Gabriel Rivera (83)
              Darryl Sims (85)
              Aaron Jones (88)
              Casey Hampton (01)

LB: 1
              Huey Richardson(91)

CB:2

Deon Figures(93)
              Chad Scott(97)

S: 2

Rod Woodson (87)
              Troy Polamalu(03)

as for LB:

Some of our best:

Greg Lloyd: 6th rounder 1987
              Hardy Nickerson: 5th Rounder 1987
              Levon Kirkland: 2nd rounder 1992
              Chad Brown: 2nd rounder 1993
              Jason Gildon: 3rd rounder 1994
              Earl Holmes: 4th rounder 1996
              Mike Vrabel: 3rd rounder 1997
              Joey Porter: 3rd rounder 1999
              Clark Haggans: 5th rounder 2000
              Kendrell Bell: 2nd rounder 2001
              Larry Foote: 4th Rounder 2002

Thats a pretty solid group.. Not 1 of those guys were taken rd 1. I could See Harris being a monster inside, and I think he'll be in demand come combine time. He's already at pro size 6'2 250lbs and he's got great agility and sideline to sideline speed he won't be around for our 3rd.

As for Pass rushers. Brian Smith will fall due to his hip injury, And we only need 1 for sure this season, we could get a guy next year as well. We still have James Harrison so even if we lose porter we still have a solid (Maybe better?) gut for a few seasons to transition a young stud.

Sorry But David Harris > HB Blades. Blades is all hype. Only guys right now other than Revis is Session who isn't built for a 3-4, but could probably be a solid backup.

Comment

I'd rather look forward to the rest of this season than the the draft. Until were mathematically eliminated I will care more about this year than next year.

Comment

Don't think David Harris will be around after Rd 2. Combine will be huge for him. Today, he's a second....could go up or down a round after Combine.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal
                    I'd rather look forward to the rest of this season than the the draft. Until were mathematically eliminated I will care more about this year than next year.
                    Yea man, I think we keep going. I think Harrison comes back not this week but next and you'll see a spike up in our defense and ST.

I say we'll beat the ravens twice and hopefully they have a late season slide.

at 7-2 they still have

Nov 19 Atlanta 1:00pm
                    Nov 26 Pittsburgh 1:00pm
                    Nov 30 @Cincinnati 8:00pm
                    Dec 10 @Kansas City 1:00pm
                    Dec 17 Cleveland 1:00pm
                    Dec 24 @Pittsburgh 1:00pm
                    Dec 31 Buffalo 1:00pm

If we can beat them twice, they lose to cincy and Cleveland...

If they beat Cleveland and Buffalo, and lose the rest.. they'll be 9-7. If we win out.... we'll be 10-6 and have the division...

Nov 19 @Cleveland 1:00pm
                    Nov 26 @Baltimore 1:00pm
                    Dec 3 Tampa Bay 1:00pm
                    Dec 7 Cleveland 8:00pm
                    Dec 17 @Carolina 1:00pm
                    Dec 24 Baltimore 1:00pm
                    Dec31 @Cincinnati 1:00pm

The game that scares me the most is Carolina. We gotta find a way to shut Steve Smith out. And our defense needs to step up. If the WR's and Oline keep playing good, we could very possibly win all of those.

Even if we lose one and Baltimore finishes 9-7... We'll have the tie breaker.

Cincy

Nov 19 @New Orleans 1:00pm
                    Nov 26 @Cleveland 1:00pm
                    Nov 30 Baltimore 8:00pm
                    Dec 10 Oakland 1:00pm
                    Dec 18 @Indianapolis 8:30pm
                    Dec 24 @Denver 4:15pm
                    Dec 31 Pittsburgh 1:00pm

I could see them winning possibly 3 of those games.. as long as they beat Baltimore in the Rematch, Cleveland and Oakland... making them 7-9...

So there's still a really solid chance we make it...

Wildcard Watch:

AFC East: Jets are at 5-4, and they have a pretty easy schedule minus a few games...

Nov 19 Chicago 1:00pm
                    Nov 26 Houston 1:00pm
                    Dec 3 @Green Bay 1:00pm
                    Dec 10 Buffalo 1:00pm
                    Dec 17 @Minnesota 1:00pm
                    Dec 25 @Miami 8:30pm
                    Dec 31 Oakland 1:00pm

So it looks like they could possibly grab 1 of the 2 available spots.

AFC South: Indy has the #1 seed all but locked, but The Jaguars are sitting behind at 5-4, however QB Controversies and 4 very tough games in the second half, Giants, Indy, NE, and KC. Could be stuck outside.

AFC North: Pitt Needs a surge, because as far as I see it, we have the easiest second half schedule With Baltimore being the only team with a winning record, and they've shown their weaknesses.

AFC West: This is going to come down to the wire. Both San Diego and Denver at 7-2. They still have 2 games against each other.

San Diego:
                    With Seattle, Denver x2, and KC coming up, they could have 4 losses, meaning they'd finish 10-6, unless Zona, Buffalo or Oakland have an upset..

Denver:
                    They're second half schedule isn't any easier.
                    Seattle San Diego x2, KC, Cincy and San Francisco. With the possibilit of a zona upset.

Comment

We should be able to pull out a lot of wins now in the late half of the season. It actually wouldn't suprise me if we ran the table but we have to play at the best of our ability to beat everyone.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                      WHO DAT!

Comment

making the #6 wildcard isn't as absurd of a thought as everyone thinks it is. We are only 2 games down from it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal
                          making the #6 wildcard isn't as absurd of a thought as everyone thinks it is. We are only 2 games down from it now.
                          It's not even absurd to think we could be the #4 seed.

Comment

It's not absurd but at the same time it really isn't liekly at all that we make up 4 games in the next 7 weeks. Making up the 2 to get the wildcard is much more likely.

Comment

Man,

I"m tired of the Philip Rivers, Eli manning > Ben Roeth talk.

Ben could lose a leg, an arm, throw 60/60 for 600 yards, 10 tds, and rush for 30 and he'd be a product of the system.

Comment

Well I'd never say Ben is the greatest quarterback, but he's better than most. I think Eli is pretty overrated and everyone who proclaims how great he is forgets which Manning brother he is.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information