Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by diabsoule
    What happened with us against the Ravens? I wasn't able to see any of the game...

9 sacks.

the oline didn't block, the linebackers got smacked, and With Ike Benched, Bryant Mcfadden did jack.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

• This is why I said we needed to get a big back in the off season. Parker is limited against some kinds of defense. When we don't run the ball well a defense like baltimore is gonna key on the pass all day. We can blame the o-line all we want, but the fact is we need to establish a running game to help them out in the pass blocking. If you look at the weeks we run the ball well, the o-line does a nice job of pass blocking. It's basic fundamentals of the game. Ben still is not 100% healthy and is also just not playing as smart as usual. Most of his stats are decent, it's the int's that have really hurt this year. I really believe the auto accident and not getting a big back has led us to alot of problems. Besides the fact the team has got to be affected and thinking about if Cowher is gonna be back or not. There are alot of crazy things going on in Pittsburgh right now and I think they just don't have a very good outlook for this season. You could almost sense what kind of season it was going to be in preseason. Alot of unanswered questions.

Comment

• the worst job done by an offensive line i have seen all year

i wont be able to make the game next week vs the bucs,i have 2 tickets if someone wants them.

The games are still fun to go to, regardless of the play of the Steelers.

But, we definetly need to get some offensive line help... and some passrushers.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• Draft time.

Ok, now I know people have their opinions, but you can't be closed minded on things. Just by example (and Mr Stiller I love all the info you provide) but a guy like Mr Stiller clearly wants Jake Long in his mock draft. But if you're open minded, you have to realize you are not the Steelers and that we don't always get what we want. Not to mention the guy we might want could be gone anyway. Which is why even though many of us will focus on just one player, we really should be looking at several and all possibilities.

To me, guys like Thomas, Long, Adams, Branch, Willis come to mind at the top of my wish list for round 1, whether by trade up or down. I've also seen people have strong opinions for and against CB. But I'm gonna throw out another idea, just as that, an idea. Not saying I want it, not saying I demand it.

Fresh off of watching Dwayne Jarrett last night, what would you people think about the idea of taking him, or a WR in general. Now like I said, I don't want you to get carried away like I think this would be our "Best" pick. But say a few other guys are gone. Say the execs still feel Big Ben could be one of the best 5 qb's in the game and this season was just a freaky abberation. Say we could fill some of our other needs by free agency and later rounds. What about getting another weapon to make our offense even more dynamic, have a potential outstanding 1-2 punch when Ward is gone, and get an absolute stud in the first round and worry about the rest later?

Try to have an open mind, but also feel free to disagree. I'd rather have other things too, but I'm not in charge of the Steelers and neither are you. And I want to just throw this out there because often I see the exact same things posted over and over about the Steelers draft. And as we all know after today, we're gonna have plenty of time to talk draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by snortie
            This is why I said we needed to get a big back in the off season. Parker is limited against some kinds of defense. When we don't run the ball well a defense like baltimore is gonna key on the pass all day. We can blame the o-line all we want, but the fact is we need to establish a running game to help them out in the pass blocking. If you look at the weeks we run the ball well, the o-line does a nice job of pass blocking. It's basic fundamentals of the game. Ben still is not 100% healthy and is also just not playing as smart as usual. Most of his stats are decent, it's the int's that have really hurt this year. I really believe the auto accident and not getting a big back has led us to alot of problems. Besides the fact the team has got to be affected and thinking about if Cowher is gonna be back or not. There are alot of crazy things going on in Pittsburgh right now and I think they just don't have a very good outlook for this season. You could almost sense what kind of season it was going to be in preseason. Alot of unanswered questions.
            Why do we abandon the run on the road? Because the oline doesn't block well for it. Why is Willie So much more effective at home. Because normally the oline and defensive pass rush steps up and Ben isn't forced to throw 50 times.

You had to see the game today.. If you're giving up 9 sacks, and only 3 had blitzes. You're not going to be successful running the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by THav916
              Draft time.

Ok, now I know people have their opinions, but you can't be closed minded on things. Just by example (and Mr Stiller I love all the info you provide) but a guy like Mr Stiller clearly wants Jake Long in his mock draft. But if you're open minded, you have to realize you are not the Steelers and that we don't always get what we want. Not to mention the guy we might want could be gone anyway. Which is why even though many of us will focus on just one player, we really should be looking at several and all possibilities.

To me, guys like Thomas, Long, Adams, Branch, Willis come to mind at the top of my wish list for round 1, whether by trade up or down. I've also seen people have strong opinions for and against CB. But I'm gonna throw out another idea, just as that, an idea. Not saying I want it, not saying I demand it.

Fresh off of watching Dwayne Jarrett last night, what would you people think about the idea of taking him, or a WR in general. Now like I said, I don't want you to get carried away like I think this would be our "Best" pick. But say a few other guys are gone. Say the execs still feel Big Ben could be one of the best 5 qb's in the game and this season was just a freaky abberation. Say we could fill some of our other needs by free agency and later rounds. What about getting another weapon to make our offense even more dynamic, have a potential outstanding 1-2 punch when Ward is gone, and get an absolute stud in the first round and worry about the rest later?

Try to have an open mind, but also feel free to disagree. I'd rather have other things too, but I'm not in charge of the Steelers and neither are you. And I want to just throw this out there because often I see the exact same things posted over and over about the Steelers draft. And as we all know after today, we're gonna have plenty of time to talk draft.
              Actually THav i'm very open minded. Just after the recent play I think OT would be a perfect round 1 fix.

Watching the USC game last night, I almost wrote a different mock having Dwayne Jarrett #1 and Joe Staley 2b.

my mock changes if you see, this is just what I think could help from the current play, this isn't in stone and i'm more than willing to make a change if it will help.

Comment

• I haven't missed agame in 16 years. I saw the game today and willie was getting tackled when he went to the ouside. Against Defenses like the Ravens, they know he can't run up the middle so the concentrate on him going outside. It's no different than last year accept we had the bus who could come in and bail Parker out. It really isn't to hard to figure that out. Going into this season with Parker as our only back teams knew all about this. It also doesn't help that we kept a useless Staley and lost Haynes to an injury. I'm not saying our o-line isn't a problem, but it would have been nice if the Steelers would have actually tried getting a free agent. Instead we draft a guy like Humes I believe it was and we go after a safety in clarck, rather than going after a bigger need. I like Parker, don't get me wrong, but he isn't a premier enough back to go against some defenses in this league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Stiller
                  Originally posted by snortie
                  This is why I said we needed to get a big back in the off season. Parker is limited against some kinds of defense. When we don't run the ball well a defense like baltimore is gonna key on the pass all day. We can blame the o-line all we want, but the fact is we need to establish a running game to help them out in the pass blocking. If you look at the weeks we run the ball well, the o-line does a nice job of pass blocking. It's basic fundamentals of the game. Ben still is not 100% healthy and is also just not playing as smart as usual. Most of his stats are decent, it's the int's that have really hurt this year. I really believe the auto accident and not getting a big back has led us to alot of problems. Besides the fact the team has got to be affected and thinking about if Cowher is gonna be back or not. There are alot of crazy things going on in Pittsburgh right now and I think they just don't have a very good outlook for this season. You could almost sense what kind of season it was going to be in preseason. Alot of unanswered questions.
                  Why do we abandon the run on the road? Because the oline doesn't block well for it. Why is Willie So much more effective at home. Because normally the oline and defensive pass rush steps up and Ben isn't forced to throw 50 times.

You had to see the game today.. If you're giving up 9 sacks, and only 3 had blitzes. You're not going to be successful running the ball.

Yea I agree with Mr Stiller. A big back wouldn't have changed much today. People love to criticize Parker when he doesn't do well, but give him no credit when he has a big game. We got down and needed to throw. I wanted LenDale as much as anyone, but also can't even imagine our passing game without Santonio. It's also an overrated stat that we can't win when Roethlisberger throws the ball 30+ times. Of course if we are down 2 scores and throwing, we're probably not going to win, and the stats end up like that. But like last week, in a close game, we can throw to win, and often throw to get the lead, and then sit on it with a running game. But back to the original point, I don't think a big back changes much today. I enjoy Najeh in there, wouldn't mind adding a bigtime big back to pair with Willie, but I think we have too many other needs to target this as a main need right now.

I'm hoping for responses to my previous post. I guess this post would ask the question, Michael Bush round 1 (trade down) or round 2, would anyone want to do this to and then worry about needs later. I personally am not a fan of adding a guy like Hunt or Leonard in the mid rounds and would rather go with a legit stud like Bush, but just think we have far too many other needs to take a RB in round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller

Yea I agree with Mr Stiller. A big back wouldn't have changed much today. People love to criticize Parker when he doesn't do well, but give him no credit when he has a big game. We got down and needed to throw. I wanted LenDale as much as anyone, but also can't even imagine our passing game without Santonio. It's also an overrated stat that we can't win when Roethlisberger throws the ball 30+ times. Of course if we are down 2 scores and throwing, we're probably not going to win, and the stats end up like that. But like last week, in a close game, we can throw to win, and often throw to get the lead, and then sit on it with a running game. But back to the original point, I don't think a big back changes much today. I enjoy Najeh in there, wouldn't mind adding a bigtime big back to pair with Willie, but I think we have too many other needs to target this as a main need right now.

I'm hoping for responses to my previous post. I guess this post would ask the question, Michael Bush round 1 (trade down) or round 2, would anyone want to do this to and then worry about needs later. I personally am not a fan of adding a guy like Hunt or Leonard in the mid rounds and would rather go with a legit stud like Bush, but just think we have far too many other needs to take a RB in round 1.
                    I'm not a fan of Michael Bush. He runs too upright and in fact thats why he broke his ankle, if he had lowered his center he would've fell forward and lined back up.

I'm Guessing either the Redskins will Cut TJ Duckett or We could Sign LaDell Betts, I think thats a better route.

Comment

Originally posted by THav916
                      Draft time.

Actually THav i'm very open minded. Just after the recent play I think OT would be a perfect round 1 fix.

Watching the USC game last night, I almost wrote a different mock having Dwayne Jarrett #1 and Joe Staley 2b.

my mock changes if you see, this is just what I think could help from the current play, this isn't in stone and i'm more than willing to make a change if it will help.
                      Seriously was he (Jarrett) not unreal?!?! Good, I love havin someone knowledgable on here AND open-minded. I need to get back and posting more often. I have no problems with your affinity for a OT. I would love a stud LT in there. However, say Thomas and Long are gone. I don't want to reach for a OT when we have other needs. Not just one choice, but what are you thinking if neither Thomas or Long was our choice?

Comment

Draft time.

Seriously was he (Jarrett) not unreal?!?! Good, I love havin someone knowledgable on here AND open-minded. I need to get back and posting more often. I have no problems with your affinity for a OT. I would love a stud LT in there. However, say Thomas and Long are gone. I don't want to reach for a OT when we have other needs. Not just one choice, but what are you thinking if neither Thomas or Long was our choice?

Well it would change the complexion of my draft but.

As much as I don't think Woodley can do it, He would've been someone to look at.

So, Gaines, Jarrett, Levi Brown, Sam Baker, Quentin Moses and Darrelle Revis.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Michael Bush. He runs too upright and in fact thats why he broke his ankle, if he had lowered his center he would've fell forward and lined back up.

I'm Guessing either the Redskins will Cut TJ Duckett or We could Sign LaDell Betts, I think thats a better route.
                          Skins giving up a 3rd round pick for Duckett was a joke. I didn't want to go near him this past offseason and I hope we don't this offseason or any other. Betts does a nice job, but I'd look to spend money elsewhere. Who knows if we'd even consider it so it's not worth debating at the moment.

Maybe 07 is Staley's year!!!!!!!! (if one person takes this serious u should be banned)

Comment

• Ok, I think we all can agree that we are out of the playoffs. Even if by some weird chance we make it, we are not going anywhere. We have to many players taking the year off. We are heading to a big off season. Cowher is most likely going to retire. So we need a new coach. That will be item 1 on the things to do list. Who are the leading candidates? Some of the names from earlier are : Wisenhunt, Grimm, Wandstat, Capers, and I'm sure there are a couple of others. Next, the review of the players. We have needs on the OL, LB, RB, DB, and maybe WR and QB.
                            When looking at the 2 squads There are very few players that should be guarented spots. On O the onlu ones that should be safe are: Ben, Parker, Miller, and maybe Holmes. Yes, Faneca and M. Smith are very good players, but they are 30, have large contracts and are some of the few players with any trade value. On D, the DLmen are all safe. Only Foote is safe at LB, and Troy, Taylor, and McFadden sould be safe at DB. Reed is safe a K. Everyone else needs to be pushed, or replaced.
                            Now, don't read this that I am saying we need to trade Ward, Faneca, M. Smith, but we shoudl listen to any offers that come along. It will take us a couple of years, under a new coach, to be ready for a serious run in the playoffs. Most of those guys will be in their mid 30's when we are ready. Yes, all are great players, all are fan fav's. But they are very expensive and are the only ones with trade value.

Comment

• Actually THav i'm very open minded. Just after the recent play I think OT would be a perfect round 1 fix.

my mock changes if you see, this is just what I think could help from the current play, this isn't in stone and i'm more than willing to make a change if it will help.[/quote]

Seriously was he (Jarrett) not unreal?!?! Good, I love havin someone knowledgable on here AND open-minded. I need to get back and posting more often. I have no problems with your affinity for a OT. I would love a stud LT in there. However, say Thomas and Long are gone. I don't want to reach for a OT when we have other needs. Not just one choice, but what are you thinking if neither Thomas or Long was our choice?[/quote]

Well it would change the complexion of my draft but.

As much as I don't think Woodley can do it, He would've been someone to look at.

So, Gaines, Jarrett, Levi Brown, Sam Baker, Quentin Moses and Darrelle Revis.[/quote]

Agreed. I'd like to give Woodley a long look because I think if he could do it, he could excel. The rest of the list looks good. I notice no Willis but I know your thoughts on him. I see no Posluszny either. Sometimes I think he's not the kind of LB we need, but then I think of 3 things. He is coming off an injury, he has less around him, and they moved him to MLB this year where his play has been less spectacular but more solid. Part of me thinks a team could be getting a steal with him. But another part of me isn't sold on him. We need a stud, impact, animal at OLB.

The O-line is being bashed today, and rightfully so. Don't get me wrong, they didn't play well. But how many of those sacks were simply someone coming in untouched? What was up with the schemes today? They commented on post game radio that during the game Grimm was huddling with the offense looking at pictures, indicating the Ravens were doing something they weren't ready for. Maybe some of the sacks were offensive lineman getting beaten, but many were not. The Steelers needed to do one of two things and did neither. A. Keep an extra TE or two in and just send out 2 or 3 receivers. Or B. Have 4 wr's but send them all on real quick, short patterns. But we continued to see 7 step drops, pump fakes, men running in free at Roethlisberger, and Roethlisberger making horrible and slow decisions.

Comment

• Anyone who wathed the game today and doesn't think O-line is our biggest need is an idiot. Ben was hurried on every play and sacked 9 times. Willie was hit behidn the line every time he had the ball.

The entire line looked bad today. Everyone. We need some major repairs before next season on there.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information