• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steel man View Post
    perfect backfield:

Willie - RB with Leonard - FB blocking for him
    and
    Davinport,Leonard, and the power back that we draft - RB with Kreider blocking for them.
    Not to ruin your happiness but we're moving to a Indy offense. They don't use a FB alot. They run more Single Back, 3-4 WR sets on 1st/2nd and 2 TE sets on 3rd down.. so The whole Leonard for FB and a powerback could be a moot point

We could draft Pittman for all I know. He wants a good #2, not necessarily a power RB that has upside to #2.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
      Not to ruin your happiness but we're moving to a Indy offense. They don't use a FB alot. They run more Single Back, 3-4 WR sets on 1st/2nd and 2 TE sets on 3rd down.. so The whole Leonard for FB and a powerback could be a moot point

We could draft Pittman for all I know. He wants a good #2, not necessarily a power RB that has upside to #2.
      its not all indy, itll be an adaptive form, we will still use a fullback and we will still have a need for a power backfeild

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

i hope we do not go 100% to an indy type O because our pound and ground wore a lot of D's down and with D's getting smaller and quicker they can take the pounding even less.

Matthew 19:26
        Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
          its not all indy, itll be an adaptive form, we will still use a fullback and we will still have a need for a power backfeild
          I agree, but it won't be the full-fledged power I that we're all used to.

We don't have any of the personnel for it. Our line is athletic and "Undersized". Willie Parker is too fast to have a FB.

In other words, that we'll still use a fb and Power runner at times. But we're adapting to our players (Finally).

When I said Indy offense.. It was easier than spelling it all out.

3-4 WR sets with a single RB, Dual TE sets for Passing.

I honestly don't think we're going to go after Leonard or Hunt. We've had 2 RB's in for visits. Pittman and Wright. I personally don't like Wright because he has a lack of college production, (Isn't he 27 as well?), and he's had 2 Serious Knee injuries. Even for a 4th rounder you can get better value.

I like Battle because he provides speed, and power. Hunt is a one trick pony. We have seen what Leonard can do, but when he was the only offensive weapon on Rutgers, he was near ineffective. Until Ray Rice, and that offense started getting some weapons, Leonard couldn't do anything. I love Leonards ability and flexibility, but I don't think he's a solid #2 RB option. I think you'd have to almost use a WCO to utilize him right. Minnesota or Tampa Bay would probably be the best options.

Pittman may be the surprise of our draft. I don't like Him... Frankly..

If I had it my way?

Kenny Irons round 3-4, Kolby Smith round 5, Jackie Battle round 5-6... I trust Tomlin and Co to be true to Game film, and If they deem Chris Henry worthwhile I wouldn't be against it as he brings solid size/speed. Best Receiving RB in the draft.

The more and more that I rewatch Kolby Smith, The more and more I like him. He doesn't have Battle Like Speed, but he's a damn good receiver, and to me is quite possibly the most "Complete" RB in this draft.

I think the other one that could receive that tag is Marshawn Lynch. Both are excellent receivers, great game speed, downfield vision. Both have agility but can run with Power.

I think I'm starting to like Smith more at 5A than Battle actually. Because he's more complete. But if we see Najeh as the receiver RB, than I'm more than Content with Battle as he reminds me of Turner. Smith reminds me of Ladell Betts. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either at 5a. Both likely career backups, with ability to fill in for a while if called upon.

Comment

Originally posted by steel man View Post
            i hope we do not go 100% to an indy type O because our pound and ground wore a lot of D's down and with D's getting smaller and quicker they can take the pounding even less.
            See I could normally agree with this point except 2 things:

1) While the pounding wore defenses down, it nearly always put us at 3rd and long, not to mention we became more predictable. (Watch the Indy game, we completely flipped our game plan and they had no F'n clue what was going on). We don't have the personnel for the Ground and pound. Willie's not a pounder, even if we draft one. You use a ground/pound 25-30 times a game.. Willie's not goign to be our 2nd RB. You'd be surprise how much Chasing Willie wears out an Defense just as much. When I meant Indy O, I meant 3-4 WR sets on 1st/2nd (Single back to spread out the defenses, that way Willie doesn't have 8 in the box), and more passing out of Double TE sets (Miller/Tuman = Clark/Utecht?)

2) Some defenses are becoming small and faster. But unless we go to the NFC North or South, I'm not sold on the "Defense's are getting smaller". Even though they suck, Clevelend is gathering a really good crop on defense. They're a DLine away from being a Tennessee Oiler/Titan like Thorne in our side (Late 90's/Early 2000's) We always had the better team, but they just made the better plays. McGinnest, Williams, Jackson, Davis, McMillen and Wimbley is nothing to sneeze at. A dline and a Secondary other than Their good safety and Bodden. And Baltimore.. THEY"RE GETTING EVEN BIGGER. Suggs, Scott, Lewis, Johnson.. possibly the addition of Anthony Spencer... with Ngata, Pryce, and Gregg? That's a big f'n team. Cincinnati would have a bigger defense if they could keep them out of prison. Not to mention we play the jaguars and Chargers once a year, and they have some of the biggest Dlines in football. So I don't buy into the "Defenses are getting smaller, so run over em'" mantra.

Like I said, NFC North? Sure... AFC North? Nope.

Frankly, I like Willie's style more than Bettis Style. Don't read into that too much. I loved Bettis as any Steeler fan would, but his 1 yd, 2 yd, 4 yd, 5 yd, 2 yd, -3 yds, 15 yd... style was tiring. Willie's 1, -2, 3, -2, 75 is much more exciting and dynamic. Because you don't know when he could take it to the house, which could be ANY handoff.

But don't think we're abandoning the run. Tomlin knows to be successful, you have to be capable of running and stopping the run. We can do both.

Comment

I agree that willie will proliferate in a spread offense. How can any linebacker contain him? I especially like how low he gets when he has to(thank you for the lesson Mr.Bettis), and think he is much more of a power runner than people give him credit for. Remember our Super bowl lines of the 70s that were 240-260 pound lineman? their pulling type running attack for Franco was the bread and butter of the best football dynasty ever. I would like to see a more agile athletic line and say goodbye to Max Starks and the fatboy blockers that cannot move--see Dallas Cowboys for example.

Comment

good point on the steelers dynasty running scheme, if this were around the horn you'd get like 3 points

but seriously just because we dont line up in double tights with an I backfeild doesnt mean we are not going to have any power run game whatsoever, we will still pound it between the tackles, we will probably just pull more and create more space for willie to run using our spread attack (in theory anyways)

if we get a guy like leonard, hunt, or smith, they will still be utilized as a power back, only not out of a power formation

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
                  good point on the steelers dynasty running scheme, if this were around the horn you'd get like 3 points

but seriously just because we dont line up in double tights with an I backfeild doesnt mean we are not going to have any power run game whatsoever, we will still pound it between the tackles, we will probably just pull more and create more space for willie to run using our spread attack (in theory anyways)

if we get a guy like leonard, hunt, or smith, they will still be utilized as a power back, only not out of a power formation

I agree Mike, The only point I was saying, is to use the Pound and Ground method, you need a guy doing it 20-30 times a game. With Willie as our #1 RB, thats not an option (Though Steel Man I agree he has underrated power as warrented by him knocking Zach Thomas on his ass)

We don't have to line up in Any formation to have a power game. But it's not the same we used to have before. Willie is the #1, A power game is only an addition to our all world speed.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information