Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of the Steelers getting Jarrett in the 2nd?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when the college season ended, I figured Jarrett to be a top 5 pick; he is flat out the most dominant receiver I've ever seen in college football. Witness the job he did on the highly regarded Michigan secondary; specifically leon hall. They could have thrown to him every play and he would have a million yards that game. Although I'd like to see us address other needs with our high picks, the idea of adding Jarrett to our offense makes me drool. If we took him at 15 it would be a great pick and if he slips to the second round(cant see it) it would be our greatest coup in recent draft history.

Comment

yeah i agree that jarrett is very good, though id argue that he isntthe most dominat receiever in college football

i wouldnt mind it either, actually

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

this is obviously my own personal opinion and i know for a fact that some of you don't agree, but i don't see the sense in getting him in the 2nd if we can get a Jason Hill or Allison later in the draft, potentially even Rice with how it looks like his stock is dropping. and they could potentially product better numbers and be better than him. i don't like him, nothing really to back that up, there is just something about him. yea he did produce greatly in college but while he was at USC they were like a dynasty and has had player after player get drafted in the NFL and in pretty high rounds. which means they have had countless weapons. just my opinion, but i wouldn't want him.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
          this is obviously my own personal opinion and i know for a fact that some of you don't agree, but i don't see the sense in getting him in the 2nd if we can get a Jason Hill or Allison later in the draft, potentially even Rice with how it looks like his stock is dropping. and they could potentially product better numbers and be better than him. i don't like him, nothing really to back that up, there is just something about him. yea he did produce greatly in college but while he was at USC they were like a dynasty and has had player after player get drafted in the NFL and in pretty high rounds. which means they have had countless weapons. just my opinion, but i wouldn't want him.
          ... Countless weapons, which means there were more guys to take #'s away from Jarrett.

Think about it. Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Steve Smith, BMW, Keary Colbert, Patrick Turner.

Thats a lot of offensive firepower, I agree it's hard to cover all of that, but that still doesn't discredit the fact that with all those players, he still set records. Over Keyshawn, over Lynn Swann, over everyone in the Pac-10.

I like Hill, but it's a pipedream to see him drop much further than 2b/2c. Allison is probably a 3rd, but I think in the latter part of round 1 your start to see receivers flying off the board.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
            ... Countless weapons, which means there were more guys to take #'s away from Jarrett.

Think about it. Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Steve Smith, BMW, Keary Colbert, Patrick Turner.

Thats a lot of offensive firepower, I agree it's hard to cover all of that, but that still doesn't discredit the fact that with all those players, he still set records. Over Keyshawn, over Lynn Swann, over everyone in the Pac-10.

I like Hill, but it's a pipedream to see him drop much further than 2b/2c. Allison is probably a 3rd, but I think in the latter part of round 1 your start to see receivers flying off the board.
            i agree that they will start flying off the board and i also agree that it is even more impressive that he put up the numbers he did while having all the support, but there is still something about him that i don't like. if you know of Dane Cook, he has a joke about one of those guys. jarrett is one of those guys for me.

Comment

honestly id take rice over him
              and craig davis
              and a few other guys
              i like jarrett and all
              but i think hes gonne be a bust

Comment

i agree that they will start flying off the board and i also agree that it is even more impressive that he put up the numbers he did while having all the support, but there is still something about him that i don't like. if you know of Dane Cook, he has a joke about one of those guys. jarrett is one of those guys for me.
                I think Keyshawn and BMW ruined his appearance. BMW and Keyshawn were never as dominant as Jarrett.

If anything, he has less of a bust factor than Rice.. Why? Name a great Receiver from a Spurrier offense. Period.

I like Rice and He's my backup guy, but Jarretts got everything but speed. And he's a lot more difficult to bring down after a catch. Not to mention that he still makes the catch even though he's going to get plowed. I've seen Rice quit on a few balls that he would've gotten creamed on.

Comment

I'm still a big fan of Jarrett....if any one will be a bust out of this WR class i think it will be Ginn.....hell Gonzales might turn out to be a better pro then Ginn.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                  Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                    I'm still a big fan of Jarrett....if any one will be a bust out of this WR class i think it will be Ginn.....hell Gonzales might turn out to be a better pro then Ginn.
                    i agree that Ginn will be a bust and i also don't necessarily think Jarrett will be a bust, i don't think he will be great or good but a solid #2. i just don't like him. and i agree with that gonzo will be a better pro than Ginn.

Comment

i think after 10 years the list of first / second rd. receivers of best to worst in terms of production, playing time, etc will look like this

CJ
                      Dwayne Jarrett
                      Dwayne Bowe
                      Anthony Gonzalez
                      Robert Meachem
                      Sidney Rice
                      Craig Davis
                      Ted Ginn

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

i agree that Ginn will be a bust and i also don't necessarily think Jarrett will be a bust, i don't think he will be great or good but a solid #2. i just don't like him. and i agree with that gonzo will be a better pro than Ginn.
                        I disagree. I think Jarrett will be a receiver in the Hines Ward mold. He's a little flashier, but he's a possession guy, willing to put his body on the line to make the catch. He's also a guy that you can rely on. Just throw it up and 99% of the time he'll come down with it.

He also has to learn to beat the jam.. but a guy with his size and wing span. That shouldn't take longer than camp.

I'm not on the "We need a big WR because the best WR's are big". I just love his style of play (See Ward) and his ability. He has so much upside. He's not Calvin Johnson, but I think Calvin is nearly maxed his potential, where Jarrett has been a phenom and will get even better.

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
                          i think after 10 years the list of first / second rd. receivers of best to worst in terms of production, playing time, etc will look like this

CJ
                          Dwayne Jarrett
                          Dwayne Bowe
                          Anthony Gonzalez
                          Robert Meachem
                          Sidney Rice
                          Craig Davis
                          Ted Ginn
                          I agree.... Although Ginn might be ahead Davis and Rice

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                          Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Jarret, in my opinion, is the second best reciever in the draft. Regardless of how he timed he is a fantastic player. It was not a fluke that he had 3 years of productive football on a very high level. He never had a down year like many prospects and he was huge in big games. Jarret will not be there in the second for us and probably not in the second at all. I think he'll go much earlier (15-25) than people are projecting (early 2nd). If we somehow do land him in the second it would be a huge steal. He was the best college reciever in the draft. Not the best prospect, but the best and most productive college reciever. I honestly would not mind if the Steelers took him at 15 or traded down a little. I would rather have a linebacker but I'm not thrilled about any of them at 15 either.
                            Superbowl XL Champions

Superbowl XLIII Champions

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information