San Diego vs. Tennessee -- Playoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    First, I would like to say that I hope Gates gets better soon and can play in the Indy game. That being said, I think him getting injured (hopefully not too seriously) and leaving the game, was the best thing that could happen to Philip Rivers.

Why? Because it forced Rivers to stop relying on Gates and LT so much. He was able to hit Chambers and Jackson (and even Manu) for huge gains. As a result, this game showed that he can win it for the team despite both of our top offensive guys (LT and Gates) being neutralized.

Oh and I would also like to add that he has done a better job of looking off his receivers and pump faking (one of the reasons the receivers were so wide open).

I thought the same thing. Having Gates out of the game forced Rivers to look elsewhere. Gates is his rock and not having him in there forced him to look outside and throw to what would normally be secondary options. Honestly when was the last time you saw 2 Chargers recievers oveer 100 yards? I can't even remember. It's just another thing that opposing defenses will have to think about now. Phillip spreading the ball around can be a beautiful thing.

Comment

I don't think we're better without Gates...but I definitely know what you two are saying. I actually discussed it with my friend while watching the game, that by losing Gates it helped Rivers because he didn't give defenses the crutch of knowing where he would always be looking. Now if we can get Gates back, and Rivers can keep that new ability it will mean a lot, because when he focuses in on Gates is when he makes his mistakes...

Just hit the open guy.

Comment

When we play the colts and they dont have 8 guys in the box and they dont let guys run past their corners, we're gonna hope we have a healthy gates playing. Rivers is at his best when he makes the throws down field to his guys (VJ 4 20+ catches) but those kind of throws will not be there against this defense. If gates has an injury that slows him to the point of ineffectiveness, id throw the chances of us winning the game right out the windwo.

sig by bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
          Great crowd, hardly any Titans fans. My buddies and I still found a way to mess with a few of them though. We shook up a few beers and offered them to our "guests", said cheers to a good game then, kaboom! Immature, I know.
          But youre san diego. youre supposed to stay classy :)

Comment

First, I would like to say that I hope Gates gets better soon and can play in the Indy game. That being said, I think him getting injured (hopefully not too seriously) and leaving the game, was the best thing that could happen to Philip Rivers.

Why? Because it forced Rivers to stop relying on Gates and LT so much. He was able to hit Chambers and Jackson (and even Manu) for huge gains. As a result, this game showed that he can win it for the team despite both of our top offensive guys (LT and Gates) being neutralized.

Oh and I would also like to add that he has done a better job of looking off his receivers and pump faking (one of the reasons the receivers were so wide open).
            The reason the pump fakes worked is because Tennessee plays a fairly aggressive man defense. it won't have nearly the same effect on Indianapolis and their cover 2 zone.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
              The reason the pump fakes worked is because Tennessee plays a fairly aggressive man defense. it won't have nearly the same effect on Indianapolis and their cover 2 zone.
              how many times did rivers pump fake? i saw one that looked more like something he does before he throws rather than an actual pump fake...

sig by bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                I don't think we're better without Gates...but I definitely know what you two are saying. I actually discussed it with my friend while watching the game, that by losing Gates it helped Rivers because he didn't give defenses the crutch of knowing where he would always be looking. Now if we can get Gates back, and Rivers can keep that new ability it will mean a lot, because when he focuses in on Gates is when he makes his mistakes...

Just hit the open guy.
                agreed, rivers should just do the least challenging thing.. seeing as how he is an average talent an all

sig by bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                  The pump fakes and looking off receivers is just a Rivers comment in general due to the fact that those were some of his weaknesses earlier in the season. But thanks for the info about the Colts.

Comment

The pump fakes and looking off receivers is just a Rivers comment in general due to the fact that those were some of his weaknesses earlier in the season. But thanks for the info about the Colts.
                    The only problem is that the two long passes (to Jackson and Chambers) were both completed on Cover 2 coverage schemes. With that said obviously the Colts Cover 2 is about a million times more scary than the Titans.

I think the game will be much closer than everyone is saying. Yeah the Colts are getting some weapons back but I would still trade Marvin Harrison on a questionable knee for Dwight Freeney any day of the week. I think we will blitz the hell out of Manning early and trust our corners and Safties to hole the recievers. Hopefully we can get enough pass rush to effect Peyton into hurried throws ans possible INT's. I think the fact that we were playing without players like Hardwick and Castillio for the regular season game is being severely understated. Hardwick is the captain of our line and Castillio gets such good pass rush for a 3-4 d-end its we-todd-did.
                    Last edited by KRS1; 01-09-2008, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information