No announcement yet.

Larry English

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron Rivera Interview on XX1090am Sports Radio.
    04/29/09

LINK

Imagine the defensive schemes with the return of Shawne Merriman along with Shaun Phillips and #1 pick Larry English. The Chargers defensive coordinator discussed how he envisions improving the pass rush this year.

Comment

I think we all liked Tucker's potential, but he just didn't show that he could finish, and that seems to be English's forte. Oh, well. A depth move. Not bad, but not too sexy, either.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleHulka View Post
        I think we all liked Tucker's potential, but he just didn't show that he could finish, and that seems to be English's forte. Oh, well. A depth move. Not bad, but not too sexy, either.
        I donno, I think it might not have been our biggest need but IMO pass rushers are always teh sexy when the QB goes down or throws a pick.

Also; Last offseason there was a whole lot of buzz about the packages RR was developing featuring Merriman, Phillips, and...Tucker.

Obviously when Tucker failed to step up (not to mention SM's injury putting a kibosh on the whole thing), they moved on, but clearly didn't get those packages out of their system. English is here to finish the job.

Comment

If AJ Hit the jackpot again

middle of the first round pass rushers are good value, its such a coveted commodity...many people thought it was a reach, but its excellent leverage with Merriman....and a high level replacement.

No one will ever replace Merriman, but English can be an adequate replacement down the road, while he learns the NFL game the next year or two with Lights Out still a Charger.

I would have liked Oher better, but Clarey can be anotheryear stop gap before a talented young mauler gets added to the mix. You can find legit starters late in round 1 for RT types.

Its easier to get RT types than Pass Rushers....so AJ went with the tougher to find commodity.

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information