Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Warner's agent has had in-depth conversations with San Francisco 49ers officials, a source told Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com.

    Warner became a free agent Friday after he and the Cardinals failed to reach a deal on a new contract. The 37-year-old quarterback has made it clear that he wants to remain in Arizona for what probably would be the final two years of his career.

    Bartelstein said he and the Cardinals continue to talk.

    "Nothing's changed other than free agency has started," he said Friday evening. "It's an hour-by-hour situation is the best way I can put it."

    Bartelstein said Warner deserves a salary to match his status after leading the unheralded Cardinals to the Super Bowl last season. The agent said that would be an average of the top five paid players at his position, about $14.5 million.

    But Warner's age -- he will be 38 when next season starts -- could hold down any interest in him and lower the amount he will be paid.

    If he can't strike a deal in Arizona, Warner could end up playing against the Cardinals twice annually. The 49ers play in the NFC West, as do the Cardinals.

    The 49ers' woes at quarterback were thought to have been resolved when the team selected Alex Smith with the first overall pick in the 2005 draft. But because of ineffectiveness and injuries, including a shoulder injury that required surgery last year, Smith's future in San Francisco is shaky.

    San Francisco would likely have to pay Warner more than the $10 million to $12 million per year its offering. If Warner accepted an offer from the 49ers, economics along with the team's spotty quarterback play, would dictate that he go to the Bay Area as the starter.

    The 49ers have used eight different starting quarterbacks the past three seasons, and landing Warner, even at his age, would provide much-needed stability at the position.

    Comment


    • VERY surprising news. It seems highly unlikely that he'd leave Arizona but I wouldn't be against it. He seems to only want a 2 year contract so that would still leave all other QB scenarios in place. Shaun Hill, Alex Smith, and a potential draft pick would all still be possibilities because of the limited term that Warner would provide.

      Comment


      • Source says SF has a "legitimate shot" at Warner
        http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ld-happen.html

        I still think he is using SF as leverage but if we do have a shot do you go for it? If we do sign Warner, I would like to see SF make a big push for TJ as well. Might as well go for the big off season if we sign Warner.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
          Source says SF has a "legitimate shot" at Warner
          http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ld-happen.html

          I still think he is using SF as leverage but if we do have a shot do you go for it? If we do sign Warner, I would like to see SF make a big push for TJ as well. Might as well go for the big off season if we sign Warner.
          i'd be flying to sf more than i can afford to do so to see that in person! wow warner, tj, gore, hopefully an improved vd, staley and a top 10 pick?...in the words of jim more..."PLAYOFFS!?" we would be a lock.

          Comment


          • Who should I pick in the group mock?

            http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30563

            BTW I traded down to 20 just for fun, I don't actually want the 49ers to trade back any farther than 16th.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
              Who should I pick in the group mock?

              http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30563

              BTW I traded down to 20 just for fun, I don't actually want the 49ers to trade back any farther than 16th.
              That's a tough call. Maybe trade down again? Or Larry English.
              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                Who should I pick in the group mock?

                http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30563

                BTW I traded down to 20 just for fun, I don't actually want the 49ers to trade back any farther than 16th.
                Larry English or reach for Clay Matthews, I guess?

                As for this Warner to SF nonsense, I am sure that is something the Niners are using to push Smith's negotiations or something Warner's representation is using to push their negotiations with the Cards.

                Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                Comment


                • I really hope that we dont get Warner. I dont want him at all. I want Hill as the starter.

                  Happy we re-signed Spikes and have no problem bringing back Norris and Rossum even though I wanted Sproles to replace Rossum but obviously, thats not going to happen.

                  No big signings even though I would like to see us go after CB Phillip Buchanon to start opposite Clements and replace Harris.

                  I'm still hoping that we release Jennings and Roman.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    I really hope that we dont get Warner. I dont want him at all. I want Hill as the starter.

                    Happy we re-signed Spikes and have no problem bringing back Norris and Rossum even though I wanted Sproles to replace Rossum but obviously, thats not going to happen.

                    No big signings even though I would like to see us go after CB Phillip Buchanon to start opposite Clements and replace Harris.

                    I'm still hoping that we release Jennings and Roman.
                    You would start Shaun Hill over Kurt Warner?

                    Tarell Brown looks to be the man at CB opposite Clements.

                    Comment


                    • I really hope that we don't get Warner in our offense he will be very average.
                      Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                        Who should I pick in the group mock?

                        http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30563

                        BTW I traded down to 20 just for fun, I don't actually want the 49ers to trade back any farther than 16th.
                        Wow, this mock just shows how favourable of a position we are in. We get one of the top tier guys at a reasonable salary.

                        Britton or Loadholt?
                        English or Matthews?

                        Or do you go BPA and take a Moreno, McCoy or Vonte Davis?

                        Comment


                        • I would say English at that pick.
                          Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

                          Comment


                          • Well I did go with a pass rusher but it wasn't English. I went with Michael Johnson. I didn't like him before this past college season either but he really stepped it up in his senior season and his potential is just too much to pass up at 20.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                              Well I did go with a pass rusher but it wasn't English. I went with Michael Johnson. I didn't like him before this past college season either but he really stepped it up in his senior season and his potential is just too much to pass up at 20.
                              He's the one that is slipping because everyone thinks he's not motivated. He's like 7 in Scott's rankings for DEs.

                              Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                              Comment


                              • His college career path sounds a fair bit like Kentwan Balmer's. Underachiever until his final year with a massive upside...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information