This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GMoney View Post
    No way we are going to keep 7 quality DL on a team that runs a 3-4. Just plain silly.
    I, originally shared that thought. After looking into a bit more, I was shocked to realize how many DE's the 3-4 teams have been carrying...

Dolphins
    Vonnie Holiday
    Kendall Langford
    Philip Merling
    Rodrique Wright
    Lionel Dotson
    Randy Starks

Jets
    Shaun Ellis
    Kenyon Coleman
    Mike DeVito
    CJ Mosely

Browns
    Corey Williams
    Shaun Smith
    Louis Leonard
    Santonio Thomas
    Chase Pittman
    Robaire Smith

Steelers
    Aaron Smith
    Brett Keisel
    Travis Kirschke
    Nick Eason
    Orpheus Roye
    Kyle Clement
    Scott Paxson

Chargers
    Igor Olshansky
    Luis Castillo
    Jacques Cesaire
    Ryon Bingham
    Keith Grennan
    Ian Scott

Cowboys
    Marcus Spears
    Chris Canty
    Jason Hatcher
    Stephen Bowen
    Marcus Dixon

49ers
    Justin Smith
    Ray McDonald
    Isaac Sopoaga
    Kentwan Balmer

As you can see, only the Jets have as few DE's and I was being generous in including Sopoaga as a DE because he's still listed as a NT on the depth chart.

Comment

• Maiocco reported the 49ers will be bringing in Demetric Evans on Monday. He should be pretty cheap and he will be depth as a 3-4 DE. With him coming on monday though im curious, would McCloughan move Balmer or Sopo to NT? I know there was some talk of moving Balmer over right after he was drafted last year. We run a 1 gap attacking 3-4 instead of the traditional 2 gap 3-4 so we're not exactly looking for a fat space eating NT, so it might be possible that Sopo/Balmer move over. We'll see though.

For 3-4 DE depth, i would have preferred Olshanky from San Diego, but if Manusky isn't pulling for him (Manusky was the LB coach in SD with Olshanky where they ran a similar defense) then it might be best to stay away. Canty is obviously the prize DE but we just signed Smith last year, it doesnt make sense to sign a 3-4 DE to a big deal 2 years in a row.

Comment

• I think if anyone moves over to NT, it's Sopo. He's 6'2" 330lbs and Balmer is 6'5" 315lbs, which would make Balmer a bit tall for a NT.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          I think if anyone moves over to NT, it's Sopo. He's 6'2" 330lbs and Balmer is 6'5" 315lbs, which would make Balmer a bit tall for a NT.
          Wouldn't it just be much easier to leave the players where they fit best, i.e.

Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Isaac Sopoaga, and Kentwan Balmer as the DE's and DRAFT A NOSE TACKLE? Why keep switching guys because "they could play NT, but they are best suited at DE"? Get a NT and that's that. :shrug: I guess it's just alot more difficult to get a good NT than it is to get a good DE.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
            Wouldn't it just be much easier to leave the players where they fit best
            I would be but it's hard to find a good NT. As more time passes, as much as I would like to see someone like Everette Brown or Orakpo be the pick at 10, OT feels like the most likely selection. There isn't a guarantee on Raji and paying that kind of money to a NT probably isnt something the organization wants to do. At least with the selection of someone like one of those top 4 OTs, you have flexibility to move Staley or keep him at LT and, nowadays, both OT positions are starting to become almost equal in importance.

Comment

• I'm still holding hope that we can draft Raji at 10. NT depth chart would be Raji, Franklin, and Sopo/Balmer in emergencies.

BTW, assuming this isnt a ploy, what are everyone's thoughts on signing Warner?

Comment

• BTW, assuming this isnt a ploy, what are everyone's thoughts on signing Warner?
                If Martz were still here I'd begin to be worried but generally I'm hopeful that it's a ploy by his agent to drive up the deal with the Cards.

edit: Sorry, just realised what you meant.

I think he'd be a shadow of last year, especially as we're going to be run-first with a still developing WR core and he's just come from a none-existant run game where he had Fitz and Boldin and even the third WR got 1000 yards. It'd be a mistake to pay his asking price for someone who wouldn't be well used in the system Singletary wants to run...
                Last edited by BandwagonPunditry; 03-01-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• It would be a failure because he's got a bum hand and being under center would only exacerbate that.

Comment

• 49ers showing interest in Marques Douglas:
                    http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/arch...ng-some-i.html

Comment

• I wouldn't mind bringing him back for a year or two if the price is low. He knows the 3-4 DE position well and could mentor the younger guys and I think he is still a very good 3-4 DE himself.

Comment

There isn't a guarantee on Raji...
                        There isnt a guarantee on anyone who has yet to play a down in the NFL...

That said...

I'm not a big fan of Raji, big DT's scare me in every draft (seem to always hear the same thing: "underachiever, inconsistent motor", in most cases) but I would rather draft him than a RT at #10.

I am looking for a game changer at #10. I know how important an O-lineman is, but I think we can find a good RT in rounds 2 or 3. I'm looking for a Stafford, a Crabtree, a Maclin, a Curry, or a Jenkins at #10. Potential playmakers.

I am usually one who says to build along the O and D lines in just about every draft, but dammit I'm tired of not having any explosive players on either side of the ball. I mean Gore has his moments, and Willis is a beast, but we need more playmakers.

Comment

• Since we got Spikes back how does it impact our draft dreams? I think it pretty much shattered my dreams of seeing Worrell Williams or Jasper Brinkley teaming up with P-Willis.

As for the 10 spot.. I really want either Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo. Pick your poison..

Comment

• Originally posted by farfromforgotten View Post
                            I'm not a big fan of Raji, big DT's scare me in every draft (seem to always hear the same thing: "underachiever, inconsistent motor", in most cases) but I would rather draft him than a RT at #10.

I am looking for a game changer at #10. I know how important an O-lineman is, but I think we can find a good RT in rounds 2 or 3. I'm looking for a Stafford, a Crabtree, a Maclin, a Curry, or a Jenkins at #10. Potential playmakers.

I am usually one who says to build along the O and D lines in just about every draft, but dammit I'm tired of not having any explosive players on either side of the ball. I mean Gore has his moments, and Willis is a beast, but we need more playmakers.
                            If Crabs fell to 10 (by some sort of miracle) I would love him to be the pick. Curry is another I would love to see fall but both of those guys are unlikely to, thus I turn my attention to defensive playmakers: Brown & Orakpo, either of them would be nice upgrades for the pass rush. Regardless, as I have said before, I think it's going to be OT.

Had Mays come out, that would have been my favorite choice but alas that is not the case.

Comment

If Crabs fell to 10 (by some sort of miracle) I would love him to be the pick. Curry is another I would love to see fall but both of those guys are unlikely to, thus I turn my attention to defensive playmakers: Brown & Orakpo, either of them would be nice upgrades for the pass rush. Regardless, as I have said before, I think it's going to be OT.

Had Mays come out, that would have been my favorite choice but alas that is not the case.
                              I've seen weirder stuff happen bro. If Crabtree fell to us, I would cream my pants. I'm not so hot about Curry but he'd help us out nonetheless. Brown and Orakpo are more realistic and would be, like I said, picking your poison.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                                Since we got Spikes back how does it impact our draft dreams? I think it pretty much shattered my dreams of seeing Worrell Williams or Jasper Brinkley teaming up with P-Willis.
                                I disagree. The team currently has 2 TED ILBs

1. Takeo Spikes
                                2. Jeff Ulbrich

Draft Brinkley or Williams please, Spikes can't play forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information