Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If we draft Jenkins at 10, I would release Harris and keep Spencer, Hudson, Brown and Strickland because they're younger and have a bigger upside.

    And Smith being moved to where he belongs - FS, makes me very very happy. Yeah, I know that McCloughan said that he could play SS and/or FS but SS is set with M. Lewis. FS should be between Smith and Goldson. I'm hoping that Smith wins the competition.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Brent
      I was a big Eric Johnson fan, too. Sadly, he couldnt stay healthy and thus was let go.
      Yeah, I know Johnson was injury prone but except for 2006, so was Jonas Jennings and he sucks and yet, he's still hanging around. I personally would have re-signed Johnson but that's just me.

      I never wanted Davis to begin with and while I was off the mark in regards to Chad Jackson and Sinorice Moss, its not like Davis has done much better.

      With all that said, I would like to see Davis put in the slot ala Gonzalez, Gates, Clark, etc. and see what he can do. If he doesnt breakout in 2009, he'll be gone once his contract expires.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        And Smith being moved to where he belongs - FS, makes me very very happy. Yeah, I know that McCloughan said that he could play SS and/or FS but SS is set with M. Lewis. FS should be between Smith and Goldson. I'm hoping that Smith wins the competition.
        Just to be clear, they were playing Reggie at SS, not FS. Dashon was playing FS.

        Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

        Comment


        • With Lewis set at SS, shouldnt Smith be given the chance to start at FS? I like Lewis and think that he's been what Parrish was for us when he replaced Schulters.

          I just think that with his coverage skills, Smith would be better suited to play FS which means Lewis can play closer to the LOS which is his strong suit.

          Comment


          • If Vernon Davis played on the 2004 team he'd have had 82 catches as well. Quite simply EJ was the ONLY receiving option on that team.

            In the one season the played together (2006) ...
            EJ - 2.62 catches/game - 22.5 yards/game - 8.6 YPR - 4.3 YAC - 2TD
            VD - 2.0 catches/game - 26.5 yards/game - 13.3 YPR - 6.4 YAC - 3TD

            In fact, VD's 52 receptions in 2007 were more than EJ had in ANY year other than 2004. I loved Johnson, but I feel it is unfair and short-sighted to believe he was a better TE than VD because of one good season.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
              If Vernon Davis played on the 2004 team he'd have had 82 catches as well. Quite simply EJ was the ONLY receiving option on that team.

              In the one season the played together (2006) ...
              EJ - 2.62 catches/game - 22.5 yards/game - 8.6 YPR - 4.3 YAC - 2TD
              VD - 2.0 catches/game - 26.5 yards/game - 13.3 YPR - 6.4 YAC - 3TD

              In fact, VD's 52 receptions in 2007 were more than EJ had in ANY year other than 2004. I loved Johnson, but I feel it is unfair and short-sighted to believe he was a better TE than VD because of one good season.
              I agree he was the only guy that could catch on that team. Reggie getting moved is great news that we all have been waiting for.
              Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Maiocco
                Manny Lawson has added some weight, too. He looks bigger. He is 250 pounds, which he hopes will enable him to stay on the field and become a pass-rusher this season.

                The 49ers are going to be in a 3-4 defense (not the hybrid that the club used under former coach Mike Nolan). Lawson said both he and Parys Haralson will be getting after the quarterback this season from the outside-linebacker positions.

                Of course, Lawson was drafted for his pass-rush ability. But the 49ers never used him in those situations.

                "My role was in coverage, and I did my best at it," Lawson said.

                So if you want to know which round the 49ers are going to take a pass-rusher in the draft, the answer appears to be: the first round . . . of the 2006 draft.q
                Good news. Been waiting an age for him to put a bit of weight on, should be a break out year for him (touch wood). Sorry Brent, but this might end the push for Brown...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
                  Good news. Been waiting an age for him to put a bit of weight on, should be a break out year for him (touch wood). Sorry Brent, but this might end the push for Brown...
                  You state that because of this we may not be looking at a pass rusher in the 1st round. Someone else stated that we offered Marvel Smith a contract so they believed that would take us out of the running for an OT in the the 1st round, if he signs ofcourse.

                  Now there is no way of knowing what is true at this point or what will happen, but where does that leave us at?

                  Raji probably wont make it to 10. I dont see Crabtree making it to 10 either. I guess Jenkins could be a possibility at 10. Quarterback? hmm...

                  I dont agree with any of this talk, but this is just some things that others have posted on this thread. Something to think about.

                  Comment


                  • any thoughts on andre smith at 10?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
                      any thoughts on andre smith at 10?
                      He is the ONLY RT prospect I'm interested in at #10.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
                        Good news. Been waiting an age for him to put a bit of weight on, should be a break out year for him (touch wood). Sorry Brent, but this might end the push for Brown...
                        They said they'll take BPA, regardless of position. It'll probably be a RT barring someone unexpectedly falling. I'll still hold out hope haha.

                        Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                        Comment


                        • It's really hard to say. Many "experts" have tremendously different feelings towards Brown. I, personally loved him during games, but his testing at the combine was scary average.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            I just think that with his coverage skills, Smith would be better suited to play FS which means Lewis can play closer to the LOS which is his strong suit.
                            First, Lewis wasnt there this weekend because he's at the player's union meetings. As for Dashon, he has great ball skills. He often looks great in practice, picking off lots of passes. Now, they're finally letting him play in the games. Reggie is solid against the run and he's pretty physical, so it would make sense to try him at SS.

                            Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                              It's really hard to say. Many "experts" have tremendously different feelings towards Brown. I, personally loved him during games, but his testing at the combine was scary average.
                              I think i'd rather have a freak on film, and an "average" guy in shorts. Than a guy who spends the better part of his senior year prepping for the combine.

                              Same thing goes for Andre Smith. Maybe i'm just blinded by the awe that is Mike Singletary, but I think any red flag raised by Smith can be lowered by our head coach. So all this BS surrounding HIS combine does not outweigh the way HE played either.

                              Can you guys imagine what Jerry Rice would have looked like at the combine? Scary average may have been the best he could hope for. At the end of the day, football is football.
                              Originally posted by Babylon
                              It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

                              Comment


                              • I agree that football is football and I've said I love Everette Brown. The fact that he has below average leg explosion is scary. I didn't expect it. I don't put alot of value in those tests unless they score abnormally high or low... and in the broad and vert, Brown scored abnormally lower than was expected.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information