Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Brent View Post
    I'm aware; I just wanted to show that I agree.
    Oh ok just seemed like you might have mis-read my post.
    Originally posted by 49erNation85
    I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
      Oh ok just seemed like you might have mis-read my post.
      I just worry that if they took Andre at #10 that they'd make him LT from the start and an unproven guy would be protecting our QB's blindside.

      Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Brent View Post
        I just worry that if they took Andre at #10 that they'd make him LT from the start and an unproven guy would be protecting our QB's blindside.
        I would hope our FO is smarter than that. I think they are.
        Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

        Comment


        • I hope for a lot of things but that doesnt mean it happens haha.

          Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

          Comment


          • Great post from Menardo. As far as the first round goes, and IMO O-line is our biggest need, but given the amount of talent there is in the 2nd round, should we go DE/OLB first then OT 2nd? The debate is there, I'm throwing it out there for discussion.




            2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

            Comment


            • Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post

              R1- B.J. Raji, NT
              R2- Donald Brown, RB
              R3- Lawrence Sidbury, OLB
              R4- Andrew Gardner, OT
              R5- Frantz Joseph, ILB
              R5COMP- Joe Burnett, CB
              R6- Taurus Johnson, WR
              R6COMP- Tyler Lorenzon, QB
              R7- Richard Quinn, TE
              Raji is probably the only player (OK, maybe E. Brown) that I'd take ahead of one of the 4 top OTs (I'm not counting Curry cause he's the #1 player on my board and he won't sniff the #10 pick).
              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                Great post from Menardo. As far as the first round goes, and IMO O-line is our biggest need, but given the amount of talent there is in the 2nd round, should we go DE/OLB first then OT 2nd? The debate is there, I'm throwing it out there for discussion.
                There are far more promising 3-4 OLBs potentially available at #43 than there are OTs.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                  We really need to adress OT in the first two rounds so that we can get a guy that's ready to start day one.
                  If the 49ers sign Marvel Smith he would most likely start day one.

                  Although the thought of having Staley and Andre Smith at tackle with Marvel Smith as the #1 backup at either position is sexy.
                  Last edited by phlysac; 03-22-2009, 12:42 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                    Brace at 43.
                    Ron Brace has virtually no upside as a penetrating style one-gapper. If he were drafted in the Manusky system, I could see McCloughan making him a DE. Just my opinion.

                    Comment


                    • i would love if things fell this way:

                      1. Andre Smith
                      2. Conner Barwin
                      3. Rashad Jennings


                      6 or 7. Jasonzzz Boltuszzz
                      don't know about the rest.

                      Comment


                      • DE looks like it may potentially be a depth issue. Ray McDonald had another surgery on the same knee that caused him to miss significant time as a Florida Gator. Might not be a short-term concern.

                        Comment


                        • Here's my view on a position by position basis -

                          QB - Everyone here already knows that I want Hill to be the starter period. I have no interest in seeing us draft a QB at #10 or trade #10 for Cutler. Hill, Smith and Huard doesnt bother me at all. All I want is for Hill to start from week one for the season and see how he does throughout the course of the season.

                          RB - Gore is set as the starter. I'm hoping that Clayton can make it past the final 53 and be the backup. Can Robinson run the ball or is he just a trick play type player? If Robinson is just a trick play type player, what's the point in keeping him? I just hope that if we do draft a backup RB, he doesnt knock Clayton off the roster in favor of Robinson.

                          FB - Norris being resigned solves this position for the time being and thankfully, should eliminate Keasey who I never liked to begin with.

                          WR - I'm hoping that Bruce doesnt come back and retires. I want to see Morgan and Hill as the starters with Jones in the slot and Zeigler makig the team. If we draft a WR, I hope its not until day two because drafting a WR early will only take away playing time from the other guys and thats what I dont want to see happen.

                          TE - Davis is set as the starter and im hoping that he gets lined up in the slot because I think that he can create a lot of mismatches in our favor. Walker is good as the backup and if Bajema is still a FA, wouldnt it be better to just re-sign him and use the late round draft pick on a different position?

                          C - Heitmann is set as the starter with Wallace as the backup.

                          OG - Rachal and Baas appear to be the starters with Snyder being the main backup. I would still draft an OG in the later rounds for depth.

                          OT - Staley is set at LT. I would keep Sims just as a backup but im still hoping that we can draft our starting RT in the first or second round. Jennings better be gone sooner rather than later and im hoping that Marvel Smith declines our offer because I dont want him to start at RT only so we can replace him in a year or two.

                          K and P - Are both set with Nedney and Lee respectively.

                          NT - Sopoaga will hopefully start with Franklin as the backup but I do want to see us draft a NT on the second day.

                          DE - Justin Smith is set while im hoping that Balmer will start opposite him. McDonald is the main backup along with FA signee Demetric Evans.

                          LB - Lawson is set as a starter and im hoping that they have him pass rush a lot more than what he has. And im pretty sure that I read it here somewhere that he added weight? What's his weight now and could he play DE in the 4-3? Haralson seems to be the other OLB but im hoping for Everette Brown at #10 the most. On the inside, Willis is obviously set as is Spikes but there's no one who could take over if one of those four gets injured. Hopefully, we'll draft an OLB and an ILB at some point just for depth if we dont get Brown at #10.

                          CB - Clements is set. Brown, Spencer, Strickland and Hudson will all be in the mix to start opposite Nate but if Brown is gone, Malcolm Jenkins would be a great pick to start opposite Clements. I personally would let Harris leave already as I want the younger guys to play opposite Clements. A wildcard here is FA signee Jimmy Williams as im sure he'll get some looks at CB during mini-camp, OTA's and training camp.

                          SS - While I know some dont like him or whatever, I have no problem seeing Lewis start at SS like he has the last two seasons.

                          FS - I'm hoping that Smith beats out Goldson for the starting spot. With Smith being moved to FS and Williams, safety is no longer a priority.

                          Overall -

                          1) Pass Rushing OLB opposite Lawson
                          2) Starting RT opposite Staley
                          3) Starting CB opposite Clements
                          4) Backup RB
                          5) Backup ILB
                          6) Backup OG
                          7) Backup NT

                          If we can get two out of the top three with our first two draft picks, I will be a very happy camper.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            RB - Gore is set as the starter. I'm hoping that Clayton can make it past the final 53 and be the backup. Can Robinson run the ball or is he just a trick play type player? If Robinson is just a trick play type player, what's the point in keeping him? I just hope that if we do draft a backup RB, he doesnt knock Clayton off the roster in favor of Robinson.
                            You can't underestimate Robinson's value on ST. That is why McCloughan emphasized that he's looking for a RB that can excel on ST. Until the 49ers add another to the roster, Robinson appears to be that guy.

                            Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            Bajema is still a FA, wouldnt it be better to just re-sign him and use the late round draft pick on a different position?
                            It is a possibility but the price tag on a late-round draft pick or UDFA is significantly lower than what Bajema will command. Why pay more money for a 3rd string blocking specialist?

                            Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            OG - Rachal and Baas appear to be the starters with Snyder being the main backup. I would still draft an OG in the later rounds for depth.
                            I think the 49ers would like to find a player that provides depth at both tackle AND guard, much the way Adam Snyder does.

                            Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            OT - Staley is set at LT. I would keep Sims just as a backup but im still hoping that we can draft our starting RT in the first or second round. Jennings better be gone sooner rather than later and im hoping that Marvel Smith declines our offer because I dont want him to start at RT only so we can replace him in a year or two.
                            Barry Sims is outright awful. Marvel Smith would be a tremendous upgrade, regardless how long he is on the roster. Jennings is gone, he just hasn't been cut yet. He was asked not to report to minicamp.

                            Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            NT - Sopoaga will hopefully start with Franklin as the backup but I do want to see us draft a NT on the second day.
                            Why have 3 nose tackles? If a NT is drafted, ICE will move back to DE. Everything seems to point to Franklin being a better NT than Sopoaga.

                            Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            DE - Justin Smith is set while im hoping that Balmer will start opposite him. McDonald is the main backup along with FA signee Demetric Evans.
                            McDonald may not be a significant contributor for a while. He's now had multiple surgeries on the same knee and may not even be able to participate by training camp. Sopoaga is currently the starter, along with Justin Smith at DE.

                            The key is Balmer. If he starts to shine, that will allow for more flexibility. Franklin is in the final year of his contract.

                            Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            LB - Lawson is set as a starter and im hoping that they have him pass rush a lot more than what he has. And im pretty sure that I read it here somewhere that he added weight? What's his weight now and could he play DE in the 4-3? Haralson seems to be the other OLB but im hoping for Everette Brown at #10 the most. On the inside, Willis is obviously set as is Spikes but there's no one who could take over if one of those four gets injured. Hopefully, we'll draft an OLB and an ILB at some point just for depth if we dont get Brown at #10.
                            Everything seems to state that Lawson will be utilized as a pass rusher this season. Much differently than he'd been used under Nolan. He is now 250 lbs. The 49ers will NOT be a 4-3. Might as well not even consider for the near future. Nolan ran ALOT more 4-3 sets than Manusky will. The priority of LB prospects in the draft depends highly on how satisfied McSing is with the likes of Jay Moore and Ahmad Brooks.

                            Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            CB - Clements is set. Brown, Spencer, Strickland and Hudson will all be in the mix to start opposite Nate but if Brown is gone, Malcolm Jenkins would be a great pick to start opposite Clements. I personally would let Harris leave already as I want the younger guys to play opposite Clements. A wildcard here is FA signee Jimmy Williams as im sure he'll get some looks at CB during mini-camp, OTA's and training camp.
                            Strickland may not be back, Hudson hasn't shown anything, and Spencer is returning from an ACL. Cutting Walt Harris seems ridiculous. Just because he's the oldest doesn't mean he has the least talent. His game is still superior to that of everyone sans Tarell Brown and Clements. Jimmy Williams won't be used as a CB. That experiment already failed miserably in Atlanta. He will be depth at both safety positions.

                            Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            SS - While I know some dont like him or whatever, I have no problem seeing Lewis start at SS like he has the last two seasons.
                            Lewis will be the starter at SS. I'm unsure why anyone wouldn't agree with that. He was one of the more consistent defenders for the 49ers. The problem was depth. The 49ers are now using both Jimmy Williams and Reggie Smith at SS.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by phlysac
                              You can't underestimate Robinson's value on ST. That is why McCloughan emphasized that he's looking for a RB that can excel on ST. Until the 49ers add another to the roster, Robinson appears to be that guy.
                              Maybe, Clayton can be that guy if given the chance.

                              Originally posted by phlysac
                              It is a possibility but the price tag on a late-round draft pick or UDFA is significantly lower than what Bajema will command. Why pay more money for a 3rd string blocking specialist?
                              True but with Bajema still a UFA, im sure that his price has come down and the reason why I would re-sign him over a using a late round draft pick or signing an UDFA is because he already knows the offense and doesnt have to learn anything from scratch.

                              Originally posted by phlysac
                              I think the 49ers would like to find a player that provides depth at both tackle AND guard, much the way Adam Snyder does.
                              I would have no problem with that happening.

                              Originally posted by phlysac
                              Barry Sims is outright awful. Marvel Smith would be a tremendous upgrade, regardless how long he is on the roster. Jennings is gone, he just hasn't been cut yet. He was asked not to report to minicamp.
                              Smith would be an upgrade over Sims but I dont see him being better than who we could draft in the first or second round. Personally, if we're going to release Jennings, I dont see the point in signing Smith. If we can draft another OG/OT backup, we could release Sims and stay with Snyder and the draft pick as the backups.

                              Originally posted by phlysac
                              Why have 3 nose tackles? If a NT is drafted, ICE will move back to DE. Everything seems to point to Franklin being a better NT than Sopoaga.

                              McDonald may not be a significant contributor for a while. He's now had multiple surgeries on the same knee and may not even be able to participate by training camp. Sopoaga is currently the starter, along with Justin Smith at DE.

                              The key is Balmer. If he starts to shine, that will allow for more flexibility. Franklin is in the final year of his contract.
                              Drafting a NT would give us depth and allow us to let Franklin leave next year if he demands too much money. No reason to move Sopoaga back to DE because after all, the drafted player would be a rookie and third stringer. Drafting a backup 3-4 DE would be a smart move considering the health status of McDonald.

                              Originally posted by phlysac
                              Everything seems to state that Lawson will be utilized as a pass rusher this season. Much differently than he'd been used under Nolan. He is now 250 lbs. The 49ers will NOT be a 4-3. Might as well not even consider for the near future. Nolan ran ALOT more 4-3 sets than Manusky will. The priority of LB prospects in the draft depends highly on how satisfied McSing is with the likes of Jay Moore and Ahmad Brooks.
                              I really hope that Lawson will be used more as a pass rusher. Has Moore even played the last two seasons? Brooks has potential but I doubt that he'll ever reach it. Re-signing Spikes pretty much says how McCloughan anad Singletary feel about the rest of the LB core. We should still draft an OLB and an ILB at some point during the draft.

                              Originally posted by phlysac
                              Strickland may not be back, Hudson hasn't shown anything, and Spencer is returning from an ACL. Cutting Walt Harris seems ridiculous. Just because he's the oldest doesn't mean he has the least talent. His game is still superior to that of everyone sans Tarell Brown and Clements. Jimmy Williams won't be used as a CB. That experiment already failed miserably in Atlanta. He will be depth at both safety positions.
                              Just because the Williams experiment at CB failed in ATL doesnt mean that the same thing would happen in SF. I would only release Harris if we draft Jenkins. I would re-sign Strickland and have him compete with the others for the NB and DB spots if we draft Jenkins. Otherwise, I would most likely keep Harris for the time being.

                              Originally posted by phlysac
                              Lewis will be the starter at SS. I'm unsure why anyone wouldn't agree with that. He was one of the more consistent defenders for the 49ers. The problem was depth. The 49ers are now using both Jimmy Williams and Reggie Smith at SS.
                              I dont know why some here arent happy with Lewis at SS but he's one of my favorite 49ers. I'm still surprised that we released Keith Lewis considering we needed depth but signing Williams and moving Smith back to SS/FS made up for it.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                Maybe, Clayton can be that guy if given the chance.
                                If he hasnt broken through by now, why would continually mention taking a big RB in the draft?

                                Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                True but with Bajema still a UFA, im sure that his price has come down and the reason why I would re-sign him over a using a late round draft pick or signing an UDFA is because he already knows the offense and doesnt have to learn anything from scratch.
                                Two things about this, Bajema's cost at veteran's minimum would be more than a draft pick. Also, he doesnt know the offense because we have a new offensive playbook.

                                Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                Drafting a NT would give us depth and allow us to let Franklin leave next year if he demands too much money.
                                The pickings are slim.

                                Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                Has Moore even played the last two seasons?
                                Spent the last two seasons on IR. The Niners can't cut players who are rehabbing from football injuries, which has kept him on the team long enough to get healthy and practice with the team this Spring.

                                Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                Just because the Williams experiment at CB failed in ATL doesnt mean that the same thing would happen in SF. I would only release Harris if we draft Jenkins.
                                Why would we keep Jimmy Williams, who hasnt proved he's any good at cornerback over Walt Harris who played well last year? Just because he's old doesnt mean he's not productive.

                                Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information