This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
    If it were that simple, wouldn't it have been fixed by Stoops years ago? I mean, Stoops isn't an idiot.
    At the college level, when you have guys as physically gifted as they are, you're likely to let them play rather than coach them up. One of my friends from my HS football team went there in 2004 (here). He always told me they were more concerned about their lineman's conditioning than technique. If you could block better than the man behind you on the depth chart, that worked for them.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• You guys want an OT sleeper? Check it, from one of my favorite writer's blogs: http://nflblog.dallasnews.com/archiv...bastian-v.html

One of the most intriguing offensive line prospects in the 2009 NFL draft is All-Conference USA left tackle Sebastian Vollmer. He allowed only one sack in 610 pass attempts by the Cougars last season.

But Vollmer is still learning how to play both his position and the game of football. He was born and raised in Germany but played American football there on a two-time national champion. He was lightly recruited by American colleges, garnering scholarship offers from Houuston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech and Western Michigan.

Vollmer redshirted in 2004, played some tight end in 2005 and then missed 2006 with a back injury. He returned as a tackle in 2007 and started his final two seasons to put himself on NFL draft boards.

Vollmer was not invited to the NFL scouting combine but did play in the Texas vs. Nation all-star game where he attracted the attention of scouts. His coaches flipped him from the left side to right offensive tackle and that's where his future lies in the NFL -- on the power side. He's a giant at 6-7, 315 pounds. His arrow is pointing up and, on a thin tackle board, he could find himself in the middle rounds of this draft.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
        No way man, you're not allowed to have three (Chung, Johnson and Unger), from UO in your mock :D
        it's weird, i went to osu

Comment

• i get a gut feeling sanchez is going to be the 10th pick

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
            If it were that simple, wouldn't it have been fixed by Stoops years ago? I mean, Stoops isn't an idiot.
            You can say that about the other 3/4 of the guys taken on the first day that still have bad technique.
            Originally posted by 49erNation85
            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
              You can say that about the other 3/4 of the guys taken on the first day that still have bad technique.
              Meh. IF Loadholt goes on the first day (and I don't think he will) then he will be the pick with the worst technique to do so.
              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSchneider
                Yeah, I've seen rubbers with holes in them offer better protection.
                LMFAO. As long as you're not the one wearing it, I guess you should be okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                  LMFAO. As long as you're not the one wearing it, I guess you should be okay.
                  LMFAO! alright so loadholt won't be the next ogden...whys everyone busting oher's balls?

Comment

• His lapses in technique let him be vulnerable against weaker competition. He was still talented enough to not allow these lapses to affect his ability to protect the QB.

Comment

• I'm not really a big fan of the second round OTs. I like Eben Britton, but don't think he will be there at #43.

Meredith and Cadogan are both alright, other than them I actually like the later talent (T.J. Lang, Fenuki Tupou and Joel Bell) a lot more than Beatty, Loadholt and Kropog, when considering value.

I think this is a relativity deep OT class.

Comment

• Well, I'm done with the 49ers group mock

1. (10) Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
                        2. (43) Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
                        3. (76) Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
                        4. (107) Phillip Hunt, DE/OLB, Houston
                        5. (131) Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech
                        5. (138) Kevin Ogletree, WR, Virginia
                        5. (143) Troy Nolan, S, Arizona State
                        6. (171) Joe Burnett, DB/KR, Central Florida
                        7. (202) Antonio Appleby, ILB, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                          Well, I'm done with the 49ers group mock

Nice work.
                          Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                            Well, I'm done with the 49ers group mock

All in all, I wouldn't mind Oher with the 10th pick. I think he is among the elite OTs in this class and would complete the Niners young O-Line.

Brace is a boom or bust pick, especially in the 2nd, but would look to be an upgrade over Franklin. I wouldn't want to take him if they plan on having Balmer move inside, however.

I think Jennings is a GREAT value in the 3rd and would love to see him and Gore team up to lead the Niners "smash mouth" offense.

Hunt looks overdrafted in the 4th. He had some decent sack numbers but he'll most likely be a situational pass rusher at best in the NFL and I believe there would be better value in the 4th than him. Take him in the 5th though, and I say that's a good value.

Ogletree is a great value there in the 5th. His upside is great for a 5th round pick and he may be there because his recent injury history has hurt his stock.

I REALLY like the Nolan pick as well and think he could provide great depth at Safety.

The Burnett pick is a total boom or bust selection, but in the 6th, I believe that's a good value. He did have 16 career INTs but didn't run that fast at the combine, so his stock will be effected. He's one of those guys that is a "football player" and will translate better on the field (hopefully).

Appleby is an underrated (slightly slow) great-sized tackling machine that would be a nice steal in the 7th. He is a perfect fir for the 3-4 and is known as a good character guy that can be coached.

Overall, I'd be happy with this draft class and would rate it much higher than the one the Niners actually had last year. ;) Great group mock!

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• WTF???

How can ANYONE like that mock draft when it has the last name "NOLAN" in it??? LMFAO.

Seriously though, I like the first and third round draft picks. Hate the second round draft pick because we just drafted a DT/NT/DE type last year in the first round and yes, I know Franklin has one year left on his contract which is why you draft a DT after round three because barring injury he's most likely not going to jump ahead of Sopoaga and Franklin anyway so why draft a player that you know will be on the bench that high when you could get a pass rushing OLB which is a bigger need instead?

After the top three, I have no clue who the rest are and if they're any good or not so no comment. I'm hoping for two guaranteed starters in the first and second round with a possible starter in the third round with depth for rounds four to seven.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                You guys want an OT sleeper? Check it, from one of my favorite writer's blogs: http://nflblog.dallasnews.com/archiv...bastian-v.html
                                What is written here is very positive on this guy, but this is a critical need and not one that I would like to risk on a sleeper. If our scouts thought this was a round 1 or 2 talent, I would definitely like to see them pick him up as a value pick in round 4. If our scouts rated him that high, I think other teams would have him that high as well and we wouldn't be able to pick him up in round 4 or below.

I think we have to address OT in round 1 or 2 and I would want an utility lineman later in the draft. That doesn't leave room for Sebastian.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information