This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
    So I have been having some different thoughts about our draft.

I really think we are planning on starting Marvel next year which I am fine with. I also think we signed him just in case one of the top teir OT's doesn't fall to us. Now we can grab a guy in the third or fourth round to groom behind him, and we won't have to reach for one.
    Really changing up your thoughts on that one lol :D

I'm with you though. I think there may be a greater need for a first day pick than OT now. The Smith signing doesn't make our tackles dominant, but I think it does make us deep.

I really like Gerald Cadogan,T.J. Lang, Fenuki Tupou and Joel Bell in the third or fourth rounds.

I also think WR is a first day need, but I think that's just cause I don't like the Jones signing...

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

I'm so happy. What a great day. Work was great. My classic SNES game was shipped that I won off ebay and best of all, that overrated overpaid piece of crap Jonas Jennings is GONE!!!

I'm so happy, I could cry but I wont. LOL.

However, $10.5m for Smith who has basically been Jennings for the last two years??? UGH. Crappy signing in my opinion. I can see adding him for depth but no way in hell would I have given him that much money. More like half for two years.
      I believe the contract is more incentive laden than Jennings' was. I think the front office learned to protect itself more.

On top of that.Smith has played in 17 games in the last two years, Jennings has played 24 in 4 years... Not even close dude, Smith is an upgrade.

On top of all that, Smith was a pro bowl caliber players. Jennings was questionably overrated on the free agent market. There is a good chance Smith is underrated, as long as he can stay healthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030
        I believe the contract is more incentive laden than Jennings' was. I think the front office learned to protect itself more.

On top of that.Smith has played in 17 games in the last two years, Jennings has played 24 in 4 years... Not even close dude, Smith is an upgrade.

On top of all that, Smith was a pro bowl caliber players. Jennings was questionably overrated on the free agent market. There is a good chance Smith is underrated, as long as he can stay healthy.
        Smith is definitely an upgrade but if we pass on a potential starting RT at 10 and Smith (who'll be 31 when the season starts) gets injured, we're screwed.

Comment

Smith is definitely an upgrade but if we pass on a potential starting RT at 10 and Smith (who'll be 31 when the season starts) gets injured, we're screwed.
          I disagree. It wouldn't be ideal, but Snyder and a third or fourth round draft pick (Cadogan, Tupou or Lang) would provide adequate depth IMO.

Comment

• We will still add a tackle on the first day it just may not be in the first round anymore it just depends on who falls.
            Originally posted by 49erNation85
            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• For those who dont know, the first day consists of rounds one and two. Rounds three, four, five, six and seven all take place on day two.

Which basically means that if not at 10, we'll be drafting an OT at 43 for those who say that we may draft an OT on the first day.

Also, the Draft doesnt start until 4pm EST which sucks because the hours beforehand drag. I like it better when it started at 12pm even if that means getting up early after working the night before. Lucky for me, I'll be off on the 25th and 26th. Yay!!! LOL.

Comment

For those who dont know, the first day consists of rounds one and two. Rounds three, four, five, six and seven all take place on day two.
                We're all well aware but 1-3 will always be referred to as "first day" by most of the people who post here.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                  We're all well aware but 1-3 will always be referred to as "first day" by most of the people who post here.
                  I know and I agree but im tired of being corrected in other forums and refer to the first day as what it is now - rounds one and two.

Either way, with the signing of RT Marvel Smith, im now hoping for CB Malcolm Jenkins at 10. There's too many questions in regards to who the starting CB opposite Clements will be so mine as well solve the problem plus have the replacement for Clements already in place when the time comes.

Comment

Either way, with the signing of RT Marvel Smith, im now hoping for CB Malcolm Jenkins at 10. There's too many questions in regards to who the starting CB opposite Clements will be so mine as well solve the problem plus have the replacement for Clements already in place when the time comes.
                    I like Malcolm, but he wont be the replacement for Clements if he cant play CB in the NFL, some people think he will end up being a FS. Hopefully Goldson or Smith can lock down the FS position. I think the 49ers would have to believe that Jenkins can be a CB in the NFL to draft him at #10.

Comment

LMFAO. I agree 1000%. What a great day. :)

Literally.
                      what f'n pos

Comment

• not u dan referring to jennings

Comment

• since marvel smith was signed. this is my new mock:

1. malcolm jenkins - clements on one side / jenkins on other. w.harris is getting older and s.spencer is coming off a acl injury. brown in best suited off the bench right now.
                          2. ron brace - sopo / franklin i'm not sold on. sopo @ times did look lost at times last season & franklin is a fa after this year.
                          3. gerald cadogan - w/the smith signing this pick should be used on a young tackle to groom for the future to play on the right side.
                          4. jasper brinkley - ilb
                          5. james davis - rb
                          5. marko mitchell - wr
                          6. brian hoyer - qb
                          7. rob myers - te/h back
                          7. corey smith - olb

Comment

We will still add a tackle on the first day it just may not be in the first round anymore it just depends on who falls.
                            Direct quote from your post before:

"I really think we are planning on starting Marvel next year which I am fine with.
                            I also think we signed him just in case one of the top teir OT's doesn't fall to us. Now we can grab a guy in the third or fourth round to groom behind him, and we won't have to reach for one."

Kinda flip flopping around...

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
                              Direct quote from your post before:

"I really think we are planning on starting Marvel next year which I am fine with.
                              I also think we signed him just in case one of the top teir OT's doesn't fall to us. Now we can grab a guy in the third or fourth round to groom behind him, and we won't have to reach for one."

Kinda flip flopping around...
                              How is that flopping around I didn't contradict myself at all. The point was that Marvel is insurance in-case one of the top guys doesn't fall to us, and we can get a guy later on.
                              Originally posted by 49erNation85
                              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

How is that flopping around I didn't contradict myself at all. The point was that Marvel is insurance in-case one of the top guys doesn't fall to us, and we can get a guy later on.
                                Meaning Smith gives us the option to not take an OT on the first day.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information