Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending players early doesn't have much of a down-side in my opinion. The longer the FO waits to extend players they want, the more leverage the player has in the numbers being negotiated. If you wait for a player to be nearing or in the final year of their deal, they can then demand market value or more. Extending them early allows for the player to be paid more reasonably during the latter years of the extension. The only real down-side is if the player who's been extended plays poorly. The young players whom the 49ers have extended and wish to extend (Willis) haven't shown a very high risk factor.

Comment

• Great move for two reasons:

1. Madirshman hits the nail on the head, he will be much more expensive to resign when his contract runs out. Sign him longterm now and he will be a bargain in 3 years based on how FA goes.

2. This move commits our free cap space to a legit younger player we are hoping will be a star. This move speaks to the claim of building through the draft. We have a lot of cap space now, but rather than spending it on questionable FAs, Mcloughan is committing the money to our picks. Very smart.

The only negative I can think of is when players hold out because their contract value is no longer competitive, suchas Thomas Jones. I don't see this as a problem with Staley though. Actually, I think the reason this signing is considered "early" is because players normally wouldn't sign such a long deal. I think this speaks to the type of player/person Staley is.

Comment

• Signed Brian Jennings to a five year extension today. Another great move by Scotty Mac locking up one of the elite long snappers in the game.
        Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• I stand corrected, pretty much all of were wrong too but I'm not checking back thru the other 138 pgs. in this thread -- it wasn't 5 OCs in 5 yrs, but 7 different OCs in 7 9er seasons. I can't think of any other NFL offense in that time that was so handicapped.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci...nclick_check=1

Jimmy Raye is implementing the 2-back, run-dominant, clock control offensive system. Makes sense with Gore & Coffee, & Pascoe with Davis for the 2-TEs sets formerly known by the Parcells nomenclature as the "Heavy Jumbo" set.

Finally! An offense customized to the personnel on the roster instead of pounding that round peg thru the square hole of making the personnel fit the system. And the most important ingredient for this to work, a stabilized front 5 on the 0-line, is finally the embedded anchor for him to build on.

And a 3-4 defense that can hold the lead the offense takes, a scenario that the 9ers haven't enjoyed in quite a long while. They started in the hole the past 2 yrs. with O'Sullivan & Dilfer replacing Smith or Hill & never successfully played catchup, had to with a few exceptional games rely on one of the best punters in the league in Andy Lee for field position or reliable kicker (& local San Jose product) Joe Nedney to keep them in those games that weren't complete blowouts by halftime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
            Signed Brian Jennings to a five year extension today. Another great move by Scotty Mac locking up one of the elite long snappers in the game.
            is it bad that i am excited about this. my brother has a Jennings Jersey...I have only seen one other custom deal that is of this amazing long snapper.
            “Every play, every down, every series, every meeting — like it’s your last.” Jerry Kramer

Comment

• Originally posted by Fogcity_faithful View Post
              is it bad that i am excited about this. my brother has a Jennings Jersey...I have only seen one other custom deal that is of this amazing long snapper.
              I had a Jennings sig for a while. I'd kill to have his NFL career haha.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Michael Crabtree's finally running

Michael Crabtree seen for first time on 49ers artifical-turf practice field doing some light running while 5 members of staff watch closely.

http://twitter.com/MattMaiocco

Now I'm not here 24 hours a day, so I don't know Crabtree's exact rehab regimen after foot surgery in March. But as far as I can tell, this is the first time Crabtree's actually run -- and run fairly hard -- on the foot since the procedure. Under the supervision of strength coach Duane Carlisle, Crabtree ran perhaps a dozen sprints of about 40 yards on the team's artificial field. He seemed to be going about three-quarters speed.Sac Bee

Comment

• And isnt Jennings the longest tenured 49er???

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    And isnt Jennings the longest tenured 49er???
                    Both he and Ulbrich were drafted in 2000. Ulbrich in the 3rd, Jennings in the 7th.

Comment

• From Maiocco's twitter:
                      Niners might show interest in pass-rusher Greg Ellis, whom the Cowboys recently released, when/if his asking price drops. He's 34 in Aug.
                      Also Tim Kawamaki lengthy interview with Singletary:
                      http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...-wasting-time/

Comment

• "Because as bad as I want to be world champion, I want to be a great dad. I want to be a great husband. That’s extremely important."

I love Coach Singletary, great article. Good post WWBBD.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• So liking Ellis as the topic for my 200th post..............

From Maiocco's twitter:Niners might show interest in pass-rusher Greg Ellis, whom the Cowboys recently released, when/if his asking price drops. He's 34 in Aug.
                          The 9ers s/b making their move for Ellis right now, I say sign him to a 1-yr. They have the cap room & there are other bidders for his services.

Trust me, I grew up in Texas & follow the Cowboys intimately -- I know this guy. He's the real deal -- He's $. Ellis has led Dallas in INTs & tied for the sack lead for several games in past seasons, & that's on the same defense with Anthony Henry, Newman, & Roy Williams at SS. He will flummox DCs who have to figure out how to stop Justin Smith on the 3rd & long plus Ellis who can play in Fields' DE spot if Balmer can't live up to expectations, or back up Lawson on the OLB spot. He may have lost some quickness at 33 but still a better bang for the buck than last season's latest DE fizzle, Tully BC.

Ellis could be that steppingstone the 9ers need to own the weak NFC West. A pass rush is still one of their top priorities.
                          Last edited by LizardState; 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                            He may have lost some quickness at 33 but still a better bang for the buck than last season's latest DE fizzle, Tully BC.
                            You can say that again.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Wouldn't be opposed to Ellis can never have enough pass rushers
                              Originally posted by 49erNation85
                              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                                Wouldn't be opposed to Ellis can never have enough pass rushers
                                Agreed, watching last season's non-existent pass rush convinced me that stockpiling rushers like the Giants might not be a horrible idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information