Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope we get a franchise QB in this draft. Not getting one just delays any real chance of contention for another year. I like Hill but he isn't getting us anywhere. He's a good backup and a good spot starter, not a 16 game starter IMO.

But there is of course the issue if there is anyone worth it..
    Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80
      I want the 49ers draft to look something like this

1st - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
      2nd - Phil Loadholt, RT, Oklahoma or Fenuki Tupou, RT, Oregon
      3rd - Rashad Johnson, FS, Alabama
      4th - Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas
      5th - Joe Burnett, CB/KR/PR, Central Florida
      6th - Roland Martin, OG, Michigan State
      7th - Corey Lewis, Northern Iowa

To go along with the signing of Albert Haynesworth, and I don't care how much it costs, and the resigning of Takeo Spikes. I we should play a 4-3 and a front seven looking like this,

Justin Smith - Kentwan Balmer - Albert Haynesworth - Brian Orakpo
      Manny Lawson - Patrick Willis - Takeo Spikes

would be very good, imo. The secondary will be good enough with Clements and Reggie Smith/Tarell Brown at corner, Michael Lewis at SS, and Rashad Johnson at FS. Aubrayo Franklin, Ronald Fields, Roderick Green, Banta-Cain, Roman, and Donald Strickland should be gone.
      I definitely agree with you about us going back to the 4-3 on a full time basis but I disagree about going after Haynesworth. Most DT's have a history of being awesome in a contract year and after getting paid, become average. Besides, we just signed Sopoaga to a 5 year deal and drafted Balmer. Going after Haynesworth doesnt make any sense to me because Balmer or Sopoaga would be coming off the bench and im sorry, you dont sign a player to a 5 year deal and draft a first rounder to be coming off the bench. I agree with you about letting Franklin leave but I would keep Fields as the backup DT.

I would resign Spikes before FA starts if Dansby gets franchised or resigned by ARZ beforehand but if not, I let Spikes leave and go after Dansby instead and trust me, I would sign him. If Dansby is stuck or stays in ARZ, then I would resign Spikes but I wouldnt overpay him. LB wise, I would most likely release Cain but I would keep Green as he's one of the few pass rushers we have but like others, is misused.

DE wise, we have Justin Smith with McDonald and Haraylson as the backups. Of course, im sure you already know who I would go after to start at the other DE spot. That's right, Terrell Suggs. Like Dansby, he would give us what we're missing most on defense - a consistent pass rush. And like Dansby, if Suggs hits FA, I go after him with everything in order to make sure he's wearing a 49ers jersey in 2009 and no, it's not just for Halloween.

FA wise, all I care about is Suggs and Dansby in that order. If I could only pick one, I would pick Suggs (and then resign Spikes) because he completes our DL. Your front seven is good but I like mine better -

Suggs and Smith at DE with Sopoaga and Balmer at DT. Willis in the middle with Dansby and Lawson outside.

Secondary wise, Clements and M. Lewis are set at CB and SS respectively. I put Reggie Smith at FS where he belongs and draft CB Malcolm Jenkins in the first round and if that means trading away our second rounder or whatever to move up and ensure getting him, then so be it. It's all about quality, not quantity.

I agee about letting Roman go but I would keep Strickland for depth. CB wise, we would have Spencer, Brown, Hudson and Strickland in that order.

Overall, our defense would look like this -

DE - Suggs, Smith, McDonald, Haraylson
      DT - Sopoaga, Balmer, Fields
      OLB - Lawson, Dansby (or Spikes), Green, Ulbrich
      MLB - Willis, Brooks, Grant
      CB - Clements, Jenkins (R), Spencer, Brown, Hudson, Strickland
      SS - M. Lewis, K. Lewis
      FS - Smith, Goldson

Comment

• Didn't read anything Dan just said.

The reason why I don't want anymore top five picks is beacuse of the money. If we have too many more that will get us into cap hell. We have already gave out a ton of money to FA. Also if the team is good enough to win those games there is no reason why they shouldn't

Abaddon. I really like your mock I don't see Rashad Johnson falling that far though with the way his stock is rising.
        Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• I would rather not pay the money for a top 5 guy at this point. We have enough needs that someone in the 8-12 range is easily going to fill a need. Drafts are successful based on more than pick #1, 2-7 as a whole are more important because that is where you get your value and most contribution.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• As of right now, we're between the 7th and 10th draft picks and quite honestly, I dont see us ending up with a top 5 draft pick but I do want to be in the top 10 so the team can trade up and get Jenkins.

And you guys talk about spending money on high draft picks but when you spend less money on players who dont help the team (Cain, Franklin, Roman, etc.) what's the point?

We've spent money the last two years but we will also be letting players go which will free up cap room plus the cap itself will probably be around $125m or so. The way you get into cap hell is by overpaying players past their prime or not setting up their contracts correctly (see Larry Fitzgerald's rookie contract). That's how you get into cap hell.

Signing Suggs and/or Dansby isnt going to put us in cap hell if the contracts are spread out correctly. Besides, the defense would finally be set barring injuries.

I just dont see why everyone's so worried about being in cap hell since we havent done a damn thing while not being in cap hell. If being in cap hell for a few years means going all out and winning a SB, then, im all for it because saving money and still sucking isnt exactly anything to be happy about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
              Abaddon. I really like your mock I don't see Rashad Johnson falling that far though with the way his stock is rising.
              I know but I can dream, can't I?

Comment

• I just dont see why everyone's so worried about being in cap hell
                Probably because our current state is partly the result of last time we mismanaged our cap.

Signing Suggs and/or Dansby isnt going to put us in cap hell if the contracts are spread out correctly.
                It's not as if we're going to be the only ones chasing them. We'd have to promise massive contracts to get them to both come to the bay and that would put us in 'cap hell.'

Besides, the defense would finally be set barring injuries.
                I think we need help in the trenches more than the LB core, if we could get the OL neutralised then our OLBs will find it much easier to get penetration. Lawson and Haralson are young and I think they've got some potential if we can get them the support they need. I'd like to find a decent Ted, a real mauler, from the draft but I think we'll find one further down.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                  the team can trade up and get Jenkins
                  Trading up doesnt make sense anymore because you first have to give up a couple mid-rounders and often times the next year's 1st just to jump 2-3 spots. On top of that, you are going to have to shell out a huge contract which will make him one of the highest paid at his position to a guy who hasn't played a down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                    Damn our team for taking developemental players. Yeah I am a big fan of Clay Matthews would love to see him in the red and gold.
                    if u read it right, the guy i quoted thought willis was a rookie this season

Comment

• 1. arron curry : olb - with lawson and willis i think if sf went to a 4-3 and made balmer go to de this pick would make sense and would add great speed to the defense. by the time sf picks, the only corner worth choosing would be jenkins and he would be gone.
                      2. jason merideth : ot - with jennings gone and odds are barry sims will be as well, sf needs depth at ot
                      3. michael hamlin : fs - this would help m.lewis and give sometime to see where reggie smith fits at better cb or s
                      4. brandon underwood : cb - with walt harris turning 35 and spencer coming off a acl injury, this would provide depth
                      5. sammie stroughter : wr - had he not had off field issues he could have came out his jr year and been a 1st day pick. sound familiar? ( josh morgan )
                      6. keegan herring : rb - deshaun foster was brought in to help spell gore. that hasn't happened.
                      7. tom brandstater : qb - smith and martin will be gone. need to find a 3rd qb

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
                        smith and martin will be gone. need to find a 3rd qb
                        I bet it's JTO and not Smith that is gone in the off-season.

Comment

• http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/017522.html

Originally posted by bee-rows
                          Most of the offensive players are familiar with his system, most notably Frank Gore, who had a record-breaking season under Turner, and quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Alex Smith. Hill definitely will be on the roster next year. The addition of Turner might also prompt Smith to return at a reduced price, something that McCloughan would favor. It all seems like a snug fit. If the Chargers continue to lose and the 49ers continue to win, it could happen
                          Norv Turner as OC again? I think his failings with the Chargers would pretty much end his chances at getting another head coaching gig for a while. And it really feels like the perfect fit, especially after what we saw in '06.

Comment

• Bar his shoulder being a complete wreck Alex will be back with us next year imo. It'll be Hill's job to lose but I can see Alex taking over by midway through 2009.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

• I am all for bringing Norv back. If the Chargers keep losing he will be fired, and no one is going to want him to give him a head coaching job.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                              As of right now, we're between the 7th and 10th draft picks and quite honestly, I dont see us ending up with a top 5 draft pick but I do want to be in the top 10 so the team can trade up and get Jenkins.

And you guys talk about spending money on high draft picks but when you spend less money on players who dont help the team (Cain, Franklin, Roman, etc.) what's the point?

We've spent money the last two years but we will also be letting players go which will free up cap room plus the cap itself will probably be around $125m or so. The way you get into cap hell is by overpaying players past their prime or not setting up their contracts correctly (see Larry Fitzgerald's rookie contract). That's how you get into cap hell.

Signing Suggs and/or Dansby isnt going to put us in cap hell if the contracts are spread out correctly. Besides, the defense would finally be set barring injuries.

I just dont see why everyone's so worried about being in cap hell since we havent done a damn thing while not being in cap hell. If being in cap hell for a few years means going all out and winning a SB, then, im all for it because saving money and still sucking isnt exactly anything to be happy about.
                              Goodbye brain cells see you in 20 years :(
                              Last edited by Menardo75; 12-03-2008, 06:21 PM.
                              Originally posted by 49erNation85
                              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• I really want Chris Peterson from Boise State to be the new OC but Turner is tempting, especially if Alex Smith's shoulder is fully healed.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information