This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
    Alex Boone? Malcolm Jenkins? You wouldn't happen to be a Buckeye fan would you? lol

Alex Boone isn't that good when he's sober, I'd much rather have him messing up while he's drunk. Malcolm Jenkins was nowhere on our radar for the 10 spot. Besides, he hasn't signed or showed up to camp at all.
    Not a Buckeyes fan at all. I think Boone can become a solid RT and bring some nastiness to the table. I don't see him ever moving over to LT but his limitations are minimized on the right.

I really wouldn't want to be a gm stuck with the decision of having to take Maybin or Orakpo at 10 if Crabtree wasn't there. Moreno wasn't really an option. Perhaps Oher but a lot of teams were really scared to take him. I'm not sure if the Niners were one of them or not. There didn't seem to be a trade partner to fill the dance card so to me it would be between Crabtree and Jenkins. What other options did we have really? Even Jenkins is starting to get into that uncomfortable reach area at 10 in this draft.

Sometimes, you just have to do the best you can with whaqt's out there and hope for something to go your way. In this case it Marvel's back holding up. It could be argued that we could have gotten a RT in the 4th if we hadn't given that up in the Carolina trade which looks to be a bit of overpayment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabscuttle View Post
      Not a Buckeyes fan at all. I think Boone can become a solid RT and bring some nastiness to the table. I don't see him ever moving over to LT but his limitations are minimized on the right.

I really wouldn't want to be a gm stuck with the decision of having to take Maybin or Orakpo at 10 if Crabtree wasn't there. Moreno wasn't really an option. Perhaps Oher but a lot of teams were really scared to take him. I'm not sure if the Niners were one of them or not. There didn't seem to be a trade partner to fill the dance card so to me it would be between Crabtree and Jenkins. What other options did we have really? Even Jenkins is starting to get into that uncomfortable reach area at 10 in this draft.

Sometimes, you just have to do the best you can with whaqt's out there and hope for something to go your way. In this case it Marvel's back holding up. It could be argued that we could have gotten a RT in the 4th if we hadn't given that up in the Carolina trade which looks to be a bit of overpayment.
      We have two first rounders from it. I'd say we're sitting pretty with this upcoming tackle class being so strong. Take your pick: Okung, Black, Williams, Young, Capers, Brown, Beadles, Bulaga, and Davis. Tackle should be addressed with one of these guys.

Comment

We have two first rounders from it. I'd say we're sitting pretty with this upcoming tackle class being so strong. Take your pick: Okung, Black, Williams, Young, Capers, Brown, Beadles, Bulaga, and Davis. Tackle should be addressed with one of these guys.
        There are a bunch of guys we could go after next year- Mays, Berry, T Cody, C McCoy, Sam Bradford, OT (above), or maybe even Selvie or Kindle.
        Its going to be hard to choose
        CRANK THAT CRABTREE!!

Comment

You're right that tackle sounds like it will be a strength in this draft. (I have to go with the concensus since I don't really do a lot of study beyond a current draft year and will start to watch prospects this fall) Giving up the 4th in the deal was just a bit much was all I was saying and could have perhaps been used for a RT this year. Not a big deal if Boone works out or the PBA next year happens to be a RT with one of our 1sts or our 2nd next year.

I don't think we really know what we have with this team and won't until a good chunk of the season is over. We will see what Manusky and Raye do with this team now that Nolan is out of the way. Possible areas of need that could line up with our first rounders are QB, NT, CB and OLB. I would really hate to spend a first on a RT if those were equal areas of need.

Comment

• Originally posted by goonie61 View Post
            There are a bunch of guys we could go after next year- Mays, Berry, T Cody, C McCoy, Sam Bradford, OT (above), or maybe even Selvie or Kindle.
            Even if Goldson turns out to be a solid FS would you be able to turn down Berry or Mays if either was the PBA on the board? Would you take Mays and make him a SS to repace Lewis?

Two first rounders in next years draft does look like a nice thing, especially if Carolina can somehow finish middle of the pack or slightly worse.

Comment

• I am rooting for an injury plagued Carolina year.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                I am rooting for an injury plagued Carolina year.
                I'm just hoping it's not number one overall bad. I don't like the qb's that look to go there with Sanchez being gone already. I'm hoping a lights out pass rusher lines up with a slot of ours. Maybe Selvie bounces back...

Comment

• We're in such a good spot. Carolina has a brutal schedule. I'm going to assume they miss out on the playoffs and pick mid-round. If we have a bad season, we'll have 3 picks in the top 40. If we have a good year, then we have 3 picks in the top 50-55.

That should go a long way to plugging whatever holes are remaining next year.
                  The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                    We're in such a good spot. Carolina has a brutal schedule. I'm going to assume they miss out on the playoffs and pick mid-round. If we have a bad season, we'll have 3 picks in the top 40. If we have a good year, then we have 3 picks in the top 50-55.

That should go a long way to plugging whatever holes are remaining next year.
                    Hopefully few :)
                    Originally posted by 49erNation85
                    I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB
                      No I'm not one of the those people that says college numbers aren't worth a damn. How the hell do you think this thing works? Draft picks get signed because we think they're good. Every single draft pick is unproven, every one of them but we still draft them so what's your logic like? I didn't start hearing about this diva business till we drafted him. I didn't mind it because hey, this is Mike Singletary's team.
                      Draft picks arent proven which is why there should be a rookie scale. If Crabtree someway somehow gets top 5-7 money, any chance of seeing a rookie scale isnt going to happen because the PA will be against it. I read about Crabtree being a diva before the draft when he visited the Browns which is why they didnt draft him and decided to just keep Edwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by goonie61 View Post
                        I'm going to say that the one single area in 2009/2010 that will decide our 2010 draft more then any other and that is the play of the offensive line.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                          Draft picks arent proven which is why there should be a rookie scale. If Crabtree someway somehow gets top 5-7 money, any chance of seeing a rookie scale isnt going to happen because the PA will be against it. I read about Crabtree being a diva before the draft when he visited the Browns which is why they didnt draft him and decided to just keep Edwards.
                          But the Browns have the luxury of having Braylon Edwards whereas our best receiver is going on his umpteenth season in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB
                            But the Browns have the luxury of having Braylon Edwards whereas our best receiver is going on his umpteenth season in the league.
                            True but if Crabtree doesnt sign soon and holds out for a long period of time, its only going to take him longer to get on the field and make an impact and if that happens, he may never bounce back. Just look at Brady Quinn. Crabtree is looking more and more like the next Rashaun Woods and thats obviously not a good thing.

Comment

True but if Crabtree doesnt sign soon and holds out for a long period of time, its only going to take him longer to get on the field and make an impact and if that happens, he may never bounce back. Just look at Brady Quinn. Crabtree is looking more and more like the next Rashaun Woods and thats obviously not a good thing.
                              Or...he could be fine. It's lame and he's acting like a jackass but seriously, you're just depressing.

-------

Personally this article got me thinking: surely the ideal solution here is an incentive loaded contract. Guaranteed money screams "I'm going to cash in before I bust." What the FO needs to do is play on his confidence and offer him big escalators. Left with a choice between his pride and his guaranteed money my gut says he'll want to do the right thing. (In my opinion rookies all need to be paid according to results and escalators)

If it ends up like that then...Worst case scenario: Crabs breaks out for several huge seasons and we end up paying lots of money for lots of plays.

Comment

One thing about Rashaun is that he signed right away. Like he knew he sucked he just wanted the money lol

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information