This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Question of the year:

Do we stick with Shaun Hill or draft a Franchise QB?

We're pretty much out of the range to get one but it would be interesting to see what goes down if Stafford or McCoy actually does slip to us. Hmmm..

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
      Do we stick with Shaun Hill or draft a Franchise QB?
      It really depends on a few things:

-What FAs are available that are actually worth signing?
      -Did we retain Alex Smith?
      -Who is available when we draft?

I don't believe that are going to be any worthy QB's available in free agency. And the ones that come to mind are certainly not worth what cost they may demand (Cassel? No thanks). I only make the above comment about Alex because, if he comes back for a grossly reduced salary, I think he's worth keeping around. Looking at our remaining schedule, I think we will pick up at least one more win. If that holds true, I don't believe that there will be a QB worth drafting in round one (Bradford/Stafford) when the Niners are on the clock. I think the best option would be to take someone in the 4th round or later and see if they can stick around and make a place for himself. I think spending a late rounder on someone like Bomar, Cantwell, Willy, Tuitama or Holbrook, would be worth it. This year's class isn't top-heavy and drafting someone too high is never a good idea.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I'm warming up to Staley at LT. Another solid game from him. I'm still not sold on Snyder at RT. He just seems like a backup to me. I guess we might be able to get away with him there next year, but we'll need to upgrade there fairly soon.

I really want Orakpo, but I think he goes top 5. He's the total package and teams will drool over the fact that he's got the tools, the on-field production and was a solid student. He's an ideal player that you don't mind taking at the top of the draft and giving a big contract.

I think we'll be out of range for Stafford, Smith, Orakpo, Jenkins and Crabtree. Maybe we look at Aaron Curry to provide some pass rush? I'm feeling that pick.
        The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• god i would love the niners to draft orakpo

Comment

• we've really spent a lot on one FA each of the last 2-3 years... I'm hoping if we go that route again it can be for Gross from Carolina. We really aren't that far away from having a truly dominant OL, I think, and Gross plus the other guys we have could get us there. Then we could focus on drafting WR/Pass rush early on in the draft, get a young QB to develop in the mid-rounds, an RB to back up Gore (Foster is worthless, Robinson is useful for ST and an occasional change of pace/trick-play guy but shouldn't be a primary backup) and maybe a speedy safety who can cover some ground late... Amazingly this all seems very attainable to me, and I think could make us a pretty good team in '09. Ah, the glorious offseason Kool-Aid drinking has started early once again this season, it seems. :)

Comment

• RT is still the biggest need so far I think Shaun has shown a lot. At the end of the season the QB situation I think will come down to Shaun, and Alex battling it out for the job again.
              Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Right tackle and a defensive end that can consistently rush the passer are still our biggest needs but I gotta hand it to the front four because they played well yesterday.

Comment

• I think it's funny a couple weeks ago people wanted to fire Manusky but yesterday he sure looked good.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                    I think it's funny a couple weeks ago people wanted to fire Manusky but yesterday he sure looked good.
                    I might have been the loudest calling for his firing but yesterday I have to admit he called a great game.

Comment

• I think he calls good games but the team is playing with a whole new energy right now. They were flying to ball. Everytime a white jersey had the ball, there was 4 or 5 Red ones in the area.

Here's another interesting question? Coaches..

Do we keep Martz? Do we keep Singletary? Keep Manusky?

Comment

• I think it's more of a case of Singletary inspiring the team, not necessarily Manusky's play calling. He did call his best game of the year, but I don't seem him as a great DC. If they have the opportunity to bring in someone better that wants to work with Sing, I think they should do it.

I think Martz is gone. He'll keep the peace with Sing for the remainder of the season cause they "respect" each pother, but I don't think they "like" each other, which isn't necessary, but I believe it is important for long term success.

I'm on board for keeping Sing for at least next year. The only person I'd take over him for HC is Cowher.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                        Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• i thought martz was interviewing for sds job?

Comment

• Manusky has gotten better every week. Why would we let him go? That's stupid he is doing all the things Nolan should have done.
                            Originally posted by 49erNation85
                            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• If Hill keeps this up i think we can look at a pass rusher. We're playing ourselves out of the top 5 right now so im fairly confident Okrapo won't fall to us. Not sure who else we could pick, maybe Everette Brown. If BJ Raji is available i think we should take a look at him too.

Comment

• We might as well wait to see where our Draft spot is at this point before we speculate too much further. It's senseless to talk about top 5 prospects if we barely crack (if at all) the Top 10. Remember, both the Rams and Seahawks have worse records than us in our division alone.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information