• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    Draft wise -

1A) RT Trent Williams
    1B) RB C.J. Spiller

I was just reading a mock draft from Pro Football Weekly and they had both of them and I have to say that Spiller seems like a carbon copy of Bush but without all the hype. As for Coffee, I would trade him for a 3rd rounder if possible. If not, I would keep him and release Robinson since he's a waste anyway.
    I say make Robinson a full-time fullback and keep him on the roster for his special team efforts. Keep Coffee as the 3rd Back. CJ Spiller reminds me of the Denver Clinton Portis, even though he may not have the bulk of Portis. They have similar running styles and both have speed to blaze. Reggie Bush was more of a free running style, I don't think anyone compares to Reggie as far as college RBs go.

But, I would be fans of both because both players would be instant offensive upgrades. Is Trent Williams pass blocking that much of a problem? I was thinking he could play RT (his natural position) and not rely so much on his pass pro skills

Comment

• I actually agree with dan on something. I think the smartest thing to do this offseason is to sign a Guard and sign a Safety. These two positions need immediate upgrades, and we will probably let Baas and/or Lewis go so we need immediate replacements. I believe this also sets us up perfectly for the draft, as there seems to be pretty good depth at OT (not the greatest quality, but good depth) and Pass rusher/OLB. Since the depth at those two positions are good it would allow us to make a move that would ensure our dominance for the next 5-6 years: drafting CJ Spiller.

I'm probably the last guy that would normally want to draft a kr/pr speed back in the first round. But Spiller is a special talent, and adding him to this offense would scare everyone and add an extra dimension that could make this an elite Offense. The good thing about this draft is that if we can find our Tackle and Spiller in the first, there SHOULD be a starting caliber Pass Rusher/OLB waiting for us with our 2nd round pick, or at least a pass rusher that we can rotate in with Haralson, Brooks, Lawson, and Briggs. IMO, this type of offseason would set us up to be a top team in this league, I'm practically giddy just thinking about it....Spiller and Gore sharing carries? Spiller in the slot with Gore in the backfield, Crabtree on the outside? wow. All kinds of possibilities.

I'd also be ok with drafting our OT and Pass rusher in the first, and then getting a guy like Best in the 2nd..he could add that same dimension that Spiller would.

The question is, can we afford to sign a starting, quality Guard along with a starting, quality Safety? I think if we lost Lewis' hefty contract, we could.
      Last edited by binary; 12-18-2009, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
        The question is, can we afford to sign a starting, quality Guard along with a starting, quality Safety? I think if we lost Lewis' hefty contract, we could.
        Assuming there is still a salary cap next year, teams have more trouble meeting the salary floor than staying under the salary cap.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Okay. :)

OG - Jahri Evans (NO)
          This one will have to stay a want. NO will be resigning him, no doubt about it.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by binary
            I actually agree with dan on something. I think the smartest thing to do this offseason is to sign a Guard and sign a Safety. These two positions need immediate upgrades, and we will probably let Baas and/or Lewis go so we need immediate replacements. I believe this also sets us up perfectly for the draft, as there seems to be pretty good depth at OT (not the greatest quality, but good depth) and Pass rusher/OLB. Since the depth at those two positions are good it would allow us to make a move that would ensure our dominance for the next 5-6 years: drafting CJ Spiller.

I'm probably the last guy that would normally want to draft a kr/pr speed back in the first round. But Spiller is a special talent, and adding him to this offense would scare everyone and add an extra dimension that could make this an elite Offense. The good thing about this draft is that if we can find our Tackle and Spiller in the first, there SHOULD be a starting caliber Pass Rusher/OLB waiting for us with our 2nd round pick, or at least a pass rusher that we can rotate in with Haralson, Brooks, Lawson, and Briggs. IMO, this type of offseason would set us up to be a top team in this league, I'm practically giddy just thinking about it....Spiller and Gore sharing carries? Spiller in the slot with Gore in the backfield, Crabtree on the outside? wow. All kinds of possibilities.

I'd also be ok with drafting our OT and Pass rusher in the first, and then getting a guy like Best in the 2nd..he could add that same dimension that Spiller would.

I must be the only one who still likes Lewis as our starting SS. Releasing him would just create another void in the secondary and quite honestly, I dont see the point of doing that. Manusky just needs to use Lewis in run coverage and play him at the los along with having him blitz here and there. His weakness is in coverage (like the majority of SS) which means that we need a FS who's good in coverage and can make plays. If we're able to sign Collins or Atogwe but release Lewis, wouldnt we still be in the same damn position that we are in now? I just dont understand the logic behind that. I know a lot of people here wants Berry or Mays but if we keep Lewis (which we should) and sign a FS, we dont even need to worry about drafting a safety especially since we've drafted Goldson, Smith and Taylor over the last few years.

Baas is a UFA and I doubt that we'll re-sign him. I dont think that NO will let Evans hit FA but if he does, I go all-out to get him because he not only plays good but more importantly, he plays good consistenty.

Draft wise, im honestly leaning towards Williams and Spiller. I was hoping to see us have two top ten draft picks but I doubt thats going to happen. Salary cap wise, im not worried because the cap will increase when the CBA gets re-done (which it will since Goodell will just push back the start of the league year like he did a few years ago in order to make sure it gets done).

As for a pass rushing OLB, I still dont think that we even need one and here's why - even if we draft a pure pass rusher, our coaches will just put him in coverage the majority of the time anyway. In all the highlights I see, its always just a three or four man rush. I never see more than that and when you're not blitzing and sending extra defenders at the QB, of course, you'll say that we need a pass rushing OLB. I think that it has more to do with the scheme and play calling than it does who we have player wise.

And you're not the last guy who would want to draft a speed back in the first round. Look at the Titans or Vikings. They had White and Taylor respectively and still drafted Johnson and Peterson. While Spiller doesnt have the power of either, he has the speed and is definitely a good change of pace back behind Gore. I would still look for a pure kick/punt returner in round four or beyond as I hate seeing starters or a backup who's a major part of the offense (or defense) returning kicks because that just wears him down more and increases the chances of him getting injured.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
              I say make Robinson a full-time fullback and keep him on the roster for his special team efforts. Keep Coffee as the 3rd Back. CJ Spiller reminds me of the Denver Clinton Portis, even though he may not have the bulk of Portis. They have similar running styles and both have speed to blaze. Reggie Bush was more of a free running style, I don't think anyone compares to Reggie as far as college RBs go.

But, I would be fans of both because both players would be instant offensive upgrades. Is Trent Williams pass blocking that much of a problem? I was thinking he could play RT (his natural position) and not rely so much on his pass pro skills
              I was thinking of adding Leonard Weaver to my wish list but then remembered that he's played in the WCO in Seattle and Philadelphia and since we dont run that, it wouldnt make any sense to bring him in. I wouldnt mind keeping Robinson as the second FB but no way would I keep him over Norris.

I wouldnt have a problem with Williams at RT whatsoever. He may not be great in pass protection but he's easily an upgrade over wh we've had there since probably Scott Gragg and thats saying something.

Comment

I must be the only one who still likes Lewis as our starting SS. Releasing him would just create another void in the secondary and quite honestly, I dont see the point of doing that. Manusky just needs to use Lewis in run coverage and play him at the los along with having him blitz here and there. His weakness is in coverage
                Yes but his coverage ability is SO POOR that he is replaced by Mark Roman and Keith Smith. We can't assume what plays will be pass plays and which one's will be runs. I agree that Lewis is great in run support but the degree of coverage liability couple with concussion concerns could deem Lewis expendable.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                which means that we need a FS who's good in coverage and can make plays. If we're able to sign Collins or Atogwe but release Lewis, wouldnt we still be in the same damn position that we are in now?I just dont understand the logic behind that.
                Nick Collins and Oshiomogho Atogwe are rangy Free Safeties. Lewis' departure would have zero effect on that position. Mark Roman, Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith, and Curtis Taylor all have skills that translate to SS.

even if we draft a pure pass rusher, our coaches will just put him in coverage the majority of the time anyway. In all the highlights I see, its always just a three or four man rush. I never see more than that and when you're not blitzing and sending extra defenders at the QB, of course, you'll say that we need a pass rushing OLB. I think that it has more to do with the scheme and play calling than it does who we have player wise.
                Sending 3 or 4 rushers is typical of all systems. Obviously blitzing (which the 49ers do rarely) could cause more havoc, however, what I want is an OLB that can consistently get the QB WITHOUT blitzing extra men. The inability of the OLBs to consistently get sacks is the reason most want a new rush backer. This has nothing to do with scheme. It has to do with the fact that none of the 49ers current OLB have been dominant.

I would still look for a pure kick/punt returner in round four or beyond as I hate seeing starters or a backup who's a major part of the offense (or defense) returning kicks because that just wears him down more and increases the chances of him getting injured.
                Tell that to Josh Cribbs

Comment

• ILB - DeMeco Ryans (HOU), D'Qwell Jackson (CLE), Karlos Dansby (ARZ)

Ryans is easily the best of the three and one of the best middle linebackers in the game and while he'll probably be re-signed or franchised (depending on what happens with Dunta Robinson), if he hits the FA market, just imagine him and Willis next to each other in the middle of our 3-4 linebacker unit. Jackson is underrated and would be a young upgrade over Spikes depending on how he progresses from his shoulder injury. I have wanted Dansby for the last year or two and wouldnt mind him in 2010 either but I would prefer the two I have listed before him especially since they're both younger.
                  Interesting -- If they pair Ryans with Willis inside replacing 10-yr veteran Spikes that would be 2 SEC All American LBs who were Defensive Rookies of the Yr. in successive yrs. Ryans would be an upgrade over Spikes who's recovering from (I think) an achilles tendon injury, those can often be career-enders. Ryans gets a lot of sacks for Houston which is unusual for a 4-3 MLB, they get max use of his deceptive speed & the 9ers should also.

Comment

• I don't see how Ryans would be available. He's a young stud LB who has far outplayed his (pretty high) 2nd Round Draft status (though he was the FIRST pick in the Second Round).

I like Dansby too, but I'd actually take Ryans over him for signing a long term deal.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Did you guys see this post on NinersNation? This guy Fooch put in a lot of work on this and it's a great read. Just an attempt at adding some value and thank God it's Friday.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/12/...2009-the-other

Comment

• Just kind of repeating what Phlysac stated...Lewis is concussion prone, he stinks at coverage, and he is basically taking up a position that I think Goldson would be a natural at (SS). He also has a pretty big contract next year, 5 million next year for a Strong Safety that can't cover and is concussion prone. I think letting Lewis go and signing a rangy, coverage Safety must be done. Lewis = one of the main reasons TEs have been killing us, also one of the main reasons we still see Roman on the field so darn much. Considering all these factors, I see no point to keeping Lewis around, we should upgrade immediately.

An OLB that can get to the QB consistently is still a need IMO, whether by rotation or a full time starter. If we can get to the QB next year without having to blitz next year, we will create turnovers galore given the amount of athleticism we have on D (new rangy FS, Goldson at SS, Spencer and Clements and Brown, Brooks, Lawson, Willis...this would be an extremely athletic, physical defense). Being able to drop 7 back into coverage would be a godsend for us, and it would only serve to INCREASE the effectiveness of our blitzes.

We should also resign Bly. I don't think he is a good starting corner, but he is excellent depth. In fact, him and Brown are great depth for this team (remember, Brown is still very young). Going into next season with Bly, Brown, Spencer, and Clements is fine with me, we would not have to add a CB pick in rounds 1-3 IMO. As long as we add a rangy Safety that can minimize the huge plays, we should be fine in the secondary...heck, Reggie Smith may be that guy, you never know.

Comment

• So are most of you ok with Smith as the QB for '10? I knew the PHI game was gonna be brutal after Delanie's fumble, so I wasn't THAT heartbroken over Smith's performance. I think he deserves one offseason. Next year should just be a make-or-break year for all involved (Raye, Sing, Smith). Two draft picks, plenty of $, this team should definitely have the talent to go far and kill the division (i hope).

And we better be grooming Nate Davis in case Alex doesn't work out by game 5-6 of next year.

Comment

• ^^^^^

I just hope we spend some money on the positions we need -

FS, OG and ILB if Ryans/Jackson are available. I would also sign T.O. and release Brandon Jones, Bruce and allow Battle to leave as an UFA.

If we cant get Jahri Evans as a FA, then an OG becomes a priority along with RT in the first round especially with Baas leaving as an UFA. If we do, then I go after Williams for RT and Spiller but then trade Coffee for a draft pick or player who can help us at another position.

Top 3 free agents if available -

1) OG Jahri Evans (highly unlikely but im hoping)
                            2) FS Nick Collins (likely to be allowed to leave as Atogwe will most likely be franchised again)
                            3) ILB DeMeco Ryans/ILB D'Qwell Jackson (honestly, I dont see either one NOT being franchised but if either one is available, I definitely go after them and keep Spikes as a backup)

Sentimental signing -

WR Terrell Owens (yeah, big surprise, lol)

With us letting Bruce, Jones, Battle, Lewis and Roman leaving, the money saved could go to T.O. and still have money left over. Seriously, is there anyone here who would rather have any combination of those five players over T.O.??? Come on.

Comment

Sentimental signing -

WR Terrell Owens (yeah, big surprise, lol)

With us letting Bruce, Jones, Battle, Lewis and Roman leaving, the money saved could go to T.O. and still have money left over. Seriously, is there anyone here who would rather have any combination of those five players over T.O.??? Come on.
                              I dont mind T.O as long as he is the #2 WR, Crabtree once he goes through ALL of training camp and plays some preseason games willl be #1, if T.O gets that, then im cool with him coming back.
                              San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
                              Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

Comment

• Crabtree and Owens would both be starters but let's be realistic, even though Crabtree has played well and better than expected, T.O. is one of the best damn receivers in the league and quite honestly, until T.O. shows that he's like Bruce and done, he should be the number one receiver until Crabtree is ready to take over. Besides, putting all the pressure and whatnot on Crabtree over T.O. isnt a smart idea. Owens wants the pressure and is used to it. Wont faze him where as it could be a problem for the young an still unproven receiver.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information