This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
    Dansby isn't going anywhere. If he is, his price tag just continues to shoot up.
    I thought so as well until I saw this. The price shouldn't be a problem for us either.

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
    starting to look at some decision we will have to make this offseason

FA
    Karlos Dansby
    Mike Gandy
    Deuce Latui
    Gabe Watson
    Bertrand Berry
    Chike Okeafor
    Niel Rackers
    Anthony Becht
    Dan Kreider
    Jerheme Urban
    Sean Morey

RFA
    Steve Breaston

plus Antrel Rolle's contract jumps from 1.66MM to 8.11MM and of course Dockett and Boldin are still looking for raises

a lot of these players can be let go or resigned for a low amount but resigning Karlos Dansby is going to be the key to the offseason, we simply can't afford to pay him the average of the Top 5 players in the NFL
    If his price shoots up.. The cards damn sure ain't gonna be able to afford him with the expiring contracts of all those players and with Dockett and Boldin wanting more money. WE however do have the money. BUT at the same time we have two first round picks to sign this year

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
      We shoulda been in there this year. I don't think it was the coach that was the problem. Some of the guys just need a fire lit under their ass
      Chilo was terrible this year. I am curious to see what we do with Cody Wallace and Eric Heitmann. It looked like in the Lions game we were seeing if one of them should be moved to guard to either push Chilo or replace him. Either way I think offensive tackle has to be our number one priority.

I see that we are interviewing Mac Duff from Texas. If we hire him it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted Jordan Shipley at some point to help in the return game, and in the receiving corps.
      Originally posted by 49erNation85
      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• I kind of figured that Johnson is a better fit as an OLB in the 4-3 but since he plays inside in the 3-4, I thought that it wouldnt hurt to ask how he plays at that position.

Oh well, Ryans would be a dream come true but im hoping Jackson can slip under the radar.

And I just read the following article -

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...sive-line.html

Seems like we're going to retain Baas if he's an RFA. Wouldnt mind seeing us re-sign Pashos but not at the expense of passing on a RT in the first round. Could care less about Wragge and Sims. Best case scenario, Boone appears to be a Pashos type player.

Here's an idea I had -

How would Baas fit in at center? I know he was a center in college but would he be better as a center in the NFL or should he stay at OG? If he would be a better fit at center, I was thinking that Heitmann could be the main backup at center and OG with Rachal starting at OG along with a FA or draft pick playing opposite him. Tackle wise, Staley at LT and a draft pick to play RT along with Pashos and Boone the backups. Snyder could backup at OG. Wallace would be the third center depending on what happens with Baas/Heitmann.

OC - Baas, (Heitmann), Wallace
        OG - Rachal, FA/Draft Pick, Heitmann, Snyder
        OT - Staley, Draft Pick, Pashos, Boone

Thoughts?
        Last edited by dan77733; 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
          How would Baas fit in at center?
          Thoughts?
          I was mulling this idea over as well. Baas did come on toward the end of the year when his foot was fully healed. He still may be a serviceable Guard with the opportunity to prove it to the Niners without a CBA agreement but I don't know if he'll be good enough with his continued development to solidify the line staying at Guard. He's still young enough to sign to a long term deal without worrying about age. Baas was really good pulling from the Guard spot, sealing inside blocks for Gore. If he could get a better push than Heitman (should be no problem) and be able to work with Alex to make good calls/adjustments/pick up blitzes, I think that may be the long term answer at Center, with Heitman as trade bait (as he does have skills) and Wallace as a back up.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
          Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• I'd be ok with moving Baas to Center if it was Iupati or Mankins playing next to him at OG. I have very little faith in Baas doing anything at this point, and Heitmann has been our most consistent lineman, why mess with him?

The more I look at the draft order, the more I feel like we are gonna get Spiller. What a weapon he will be for us, I would be ecstatic. Raye would be fired 3 games in if our Offense can't move with him in the lineup. The issue will probably be, do we pick our OT at #13 and wait for Spiller at #17 (#17 or #16 doesn't matter because the Titans already have CJ), or do we take him as a BPA at #13 and wait for a tackle like Bulaga, Williams, or at worst Iupati at #17.

Miami or NYG seems like the only threat to getting Spiller at this point. Miami I guess it depends on Brown's recovery. NYG needs d-line help pretty badly, plus they got a fairly good two headed RB system going. Would Seattle pick him at #14? I doubt it, they have Forsett already as a speed/athletic back. It's looking to me like we could actually pick our OT at #13 and wait for Spiller to fall to #17, that would be pretty great, but a bit risky. At worst we take an OT at #13 and one of those teams takes Spiller and that leaves us with Earl Thomas or Iupati at #17.

Man, this draft is looking more and more exciting every day. Add in the fact that the Safety class keeps getting deeper and deeper, it allows us to pick Spiller and OL in the first and still get our Safety in the 2nd...and perhaps a pass rusher in the 3rd (someone should fall). Should be fun, don't muck it up Niners!

Comment

• I could realistically see Seattle taking Spiller with one of their two First Round picks that they have that come before the Niners pick. Forsett came on late for them but Julius Jones will likely be cut and they will definitely need a HB. Plus Pete Carroll will likely think of the good 'ol days at USC with Reggie Bush when he looks at the tape on Spiller.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                I could realistically see Seattle taking Spiller with one of their two First Round picks that they have that come before the Niners pick. Forsett came on late for them but Julius Jones will likely be cut and they will definitely need a HB. Plus Pete Carroll will likely think of the good 'ol days at USC with Reggie Bush when he looks at the tape on Spiller.
                or they might just get the real Reggie Bush

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                  I kind of figured that Johnson is a better fit as an OLB in the 4-3 but since he plays inside in the 3-4, I thought that it wouldnt hurt to ask how he plays at that position.

Oh well, Ryans would be a dream come true but im hoping Jackson can slip under the radar.

And I just read the following article -

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...sive-line.html

Seems like we're going to retain Baas if he's an RFA. Wouldnt mind seeing us re-sign Pashos but not at the expense of passing on a RT in the first round. Could care less about Wragge and Sims. Best case scenario, Boone appears to be a Pashos type player.

Here's an idea I had -

How would Baas fit in at center? I know he was a center in college but would he be better as a center in the NFL or should he stay at OG? If he would be a better fit at center, I was thinking that Heitmann could be the main backup at center and OG with Rachal starting at OG along with a FA or draft pick playing opposite him. Tackle wise, Staley at LT and a draft pick to play RT along with Pashos and Boone the backups. Snyder could backup at OG. Wallace would be the third center depending on what happens with Baas/Heitmann.

OC - Baas, (Heitmann), Wallace
                  OG - Rachal, FA/Draft Pick, Heitmann, Snyder
                  OT - Staley, Draft Pick, Pashos, Boone

Thoughts?
                  You want to take one of the top 15 maybe 10 centers in the NFL and make him a backup?
                  Originally posted by 49erNation85
                  I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• with so many underclassmen declaring for the draft, who is someone that may fall in the draft that the niners might want to take a flyer on in any round?

Comment

• Originally posted by agubie View Post
                      with so many underclassmen declaring for the draft, who is someone that may fall in the draft that the niners might want to take a flyer on in any round?
                      Call me a homer, but Antonio Brown.

I think he could be a steal late in the draft. I will say right off the bat that i'm a huge fan and I could be blinded by homerism. I will also say I don't know enough about others across the country that could return kicks. What I do know is this kid is a gamer and has been a playmaker since setting foot on the field in Mt. Pleasant. I know the knocks on the MAC and the level of competition but a late round flier? I would consider it. I'm also a HUGE fan of Dan Lefevour but i'm not sure another quarterback is necessary. However, it would be a Chippewa reunion with Joe Staley.

Anyway, the numbers on Brown.

Receptions

2007 CMU 98 /980 /10.0 /76 /6
                      2008 CMU 93 /998 /10.7 /93 /7
                      2009 CMU 110 /1198 /10.9 /82 /9

Returns (punt then kick)

2007 CMU 20 /142 /0 /42 36 /976 /1 /90
                      2008 CMU 31 /410 /1 /75 38 /791 /0 /43
                      2009 CMU 28 /270 /2 /75 35 /773 /1 /95
                      Originally posted by Babylon
                      It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                        Call me a homer, but Antonio Brown.
                        Im a huge Central Michigan fan. But Brown is good in open field and the return game.
                        San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
                        Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

Comment

• My 2010 Draft Board as of January 12, 2010

I realize that many things can change over the next several months but here is how I would arrange the 49ers Big Board based on need and value.

1. Ndamukong Suh - DT - Nebraska
                          2. Eric Berry - S - Tennessee
                          3. Rolando McClain - ILB - Alabama
                          4. Mike Iupati - OL - Idaho
                          5. Anthony Davis - OT - Rutgers
                          6. Russell Okung - OT - Oklahoma State
                          7. Joe Haden - CB - Florida
                          8. Earl Thomas - S - Texas
                          9. Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa
                          10. C.J. Spiller - RB/KR - Clemson

I hope the 49ers are able to acquire TWO of those 10 players at picks #13 and #16/17.

If all ten players are off the board at any of the 49ers picks, I believe the 49ers should trade down.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                            My 2010 Draft Board as of January 12, 2010

I realize that many things can change over the next several months but here is how I would arrange the 49ers Big Board based on need and value.

1. Ndamukong Suh - DT - Nebraska
                            2. Eric Berry - S - Tennessee
                            3. Rolando McClain - ILB - Alabama
                            4. Mike Iupati - OL - Idaho
                            5. Anthony Davis - OT - Rutgers
                            6. Russell Okung - OT - Oklahoma State
                            7. Joe Haden - CB - Florida
                            8. Earl Thomas - S - Texas
                            9. Brian Bulaga - OT - Iowa
                            10. C.J. Spiller - RB/KR - Clemson

I hope the 49ers are able to acquire TWO of those 10 players at picks #13 and #16/17.

If all ten players are off the board at any of the 49ers picks, I believe the 49ers should trade down.
                            I like this. I'd have to second, with Spiller maybe moving up to 8 from 10.

Comment

• Spiller > Haden. Don't want to use a first rounder on a CB that will likely be #3-4 on the depth chart. Earl Thomas would be a nice consolation if we can't get Spiller. Haden looks pretty tiny on the field too, I wonder if he really is 5-11.

Trent Williams at #17 isn't so bad either, even if he's only a RT.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                                Spiller > Haden. Don't want to use a first rounder on a CB that will likely be #3-4 on the depth chart. Earl Thomas would be a nice consolation if we can't get Spiller. Haden looks pretty tiny on the field too, I wonder if he really is 5-11.

Trent Williams at #17 isn't so bad either, even if he's only a RT.
                                Size is an issue with all of these prospects. It's difficult to rank anyone without official measurements. Haden may look small but Thomas looks small as well.

I love Spiller and I have no problem with him being ranked higher than Haden but I think your reasoning could be an issue. Haden would AT WORST be the dime CB and would see the field for many snaps a game (likely every 3rd down passing situation). We need to remember that the 49ers 2008 starting CBs missed 25 of 32 games combined this season. Too many great CBs is NEVER a problem. Especially when Harris and Bly will likely be gone, Clements is getting older and VERY expensive in the final 2 of his contract and Tarell Brown has yet to show he can be a starting caliber CB. Let's not forget that Shawntae Spencer (prior to this season) was inconsistent and had missed 19 of 21 games.

I'm not arguing Haden > Spiller but the need for a CB is much higher in my book (I believe) than in yours. I never want a "sign a guy off the street, put him in one-on-one coverage when the game is on the line" a la Keith Smith to EVER happen again.

As for Trent Williams... I've been asking on this site for over a month now for someone to change my opinion of him. Noone has ever responded to my multiple posts. I see a guy that performed BETTER at RT but his pass pro is actually better than his run-blocking. The 49ers can't afford a RT that can't run-block. Aside from that, it was VERY disheartening that he played CENTER in Oklahoma's Bowl game. If he was that much of a STUD OT he wouldn't be so easily replaced.
                                Last edited by phlysac; 01-12-2010, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information