This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    McCloughan is an idiot because while everyone watched Antrel Rolle go to the Giants and see the Cardinals get weaker, well, they just got an upgrade over Rolle.

The Cardinals traded their 2010 4th round draft pick and their 2011 7th round draft pick to the Jets for FS Kerry Rhodes.

Mother ******!!!!!
    I think there's an awful lot wrong with that sort of attitude. If the sole reason we make the playoffs is that the Card's talent level dropped, then we don't deserve to be there. And we certainly won't be winning any trophies either.

The FO doesn't want to make a splash in free agency, so be it, we'll see where we stand in training camp. Our off-season need only be measured by our standards and ours alone.

Comment

• Well, if they're planning on paying Goldson next year, then it makes sense that they're not going after a free agent/RFA safety this year. We'll probably draft one in the first 3 rounds anyway.

Also, I could see the 9ers taking Cody if he's there in the second round as insurance against Franklin leaving next year.
      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
        http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ding-candidate

Apparently we trying to offer #17 for Gaither. Might just be a rumor though.
        Would be a huge fan of this, we would have amazing book ends to our O-Line

Sig by Mockalicious

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
          Well, if they're planning on paying Goldson next year, then it makes sense that they're not going after a free agent/RFA safety this year. We'll probably draft one in the first 3 rounds anyway.

Also, I could see the 9ers taking Cody if he's there in the second round as insurance against Franklin leaving next year.
          I don't expect them to go after Cody as he doesn't fit the one-gap penetration style 3-4 they play. Cam Thomas is more likely.

I really agree with the rest of your post though. The Niners normally aren't a big FA team, but I think they are even more conservative this year because of the players they need to resign. Here are some of the players and estimated contracts they will be looking at:

Patrick Willis: James Harrison got a 6 year $52 mil with $20 guaranteed. Dansby got 5 years, $43 mil with $22 guaranteed. Willis should get more than both...

Vernon Davis: Dallas Clark got a 6 year $36 mil contract, Davis could get more if he continues to improve.

Dashon Goldson: Antrel Rolle is now the highest paid Safety in NFL history (debatable lol), Goldson is better and will get a larger contract. Rolle's contract: 6 years, $37 mill with $15 guaranteed.

Manny Lawson: If last year is repeated he should get a better contract than Haralson, which was $20 mil over 5 years with $10 guaranteed.

Aubrayo Franklin: If they decide to resign him he should get more than Hampton just got, $27 mil over 3 years with $16 guaranteed.

Ahmad Brooks: No idea who to compare his possible contract to lol.

Other Niners' contracts expiring: Alex Smith, David Baas, Demetric Evens, Jason Hill, Shaun Hill, Tony Wragge, Ray McDonald and Takeo Spikes.

I think its more important to keep the players you've groomed for your system and style of play then bring in players who have succeeded in other systems.
          Last edited by thediggler3030; 03-07-2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post
            I think there's an awful lot wrong with that sort of attitude. If the sole reason we make the playoffs is that the Card's talent level dropped, then we don't deserve to be there. And we certainly won't be winning any trophies either.
            This cannot be said enough.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
            As for Gaither, I didnt read the link but from what I have read, it would be the 13th overall draft pick. NOT the 17th. You cant use draft picks that arent originally your own in order to acquire a RFA. Since the 17th is from CAR, that wouldnt be permitted. At least thats what I understand about how RFA's work after reading articles last week.
            I would be fine using #13 to get a 23 year old OT of his caliber.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
            why would the Ravens get rid of one of their two bookend tackles? Makes no sense especially after they acquired Boldin. They now have a WR but in order for him to be good, the QB has to be upright.
            it's more than likely not a legitimate rumor, but it's still good discussion to keep us entertained between meaningless reports and the draft.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
              Carr left without a deal, but got a bitchslap from Patrick Willis on his twitter: "We've got 3 QBs better than him."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2...ithout-a-deal/

Well, Willis is 2/3rds right, they have 2 better, not sure which 2 though
              Mortensen reports that we agreed to a contract with him.

Comment

• Why The **** Are We Bringing David Carr????? Why?????? Why The F U C K?????????

Comment

Why The **** Are We Bringing David Carr????? Why?????? Why The F U C K?????????
                  I'm hoping it's to replace Shaun Hill. If I hear a word of "quarterback competition" I'm going to be pissed.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                  -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                  Originally posted by Borat
                  Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Why The **** Are We Bringing David Carr????? Why?????? Why The F U C K?????????
                    I actually really like the reasoning. The argument for Carr is that he is a similar QB to Smith in arm strength and mobility. Thus, if Smith goes down they won't have to adjust the offense as much as they would have to for Shaun Hill.

Also I don't see a downside. Its not a longtear deal and only increases the talent level at QB.

Comment

• if he isnt showing up to be the starter, who cares? this is supposed to be Alex's team...

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• a undrafted qb beat smith out last year....so if it's anyone's team it's gore's or willis's until that position gets settled

Comment

• I would love to add Gaither that would fill a huge hole.
                          Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Dashon Goldson: Antrel Rolle is now the highest paid Safety in NFL history (debatable lol), Goldson is better and will get a larger contract. Rolle's contract: 6 years, $37 mill with $15 guaranteed.
                            I'm sorry to be rude, but I simply had to reply to this comment. The idea that Dashon Goldson might be the highest paid safety in NFL history in 2011 is beyond preposterous. I can't believe any Niners fan would even suggest such a thing. Did you watch any games last year? Goldson is a big weakness on the Niners defense.

But of course no reason to take my word for it. Pro Football Focus (the guys who rate every player on every play of every game rated Goldson the #82 safety out of 87 qualifiers (safeties who played at least 25% of their team's snaps). He was the fifth worst starter in football, worse than even guys with awful reputations like C.C. Brown or Sabby Piscatelli. And actually he was rated as above average against the run, but unfortunately he was also rated as the worst safety in pass coverage in the NFL.

The idea that Goldson deserves a big contract is so ludicrous that it's borderline trolling. We should be praying the Niners have a better solution even for next year (Eric Berry anyone), Dashon Goldson should absolutely not be a starting free safety for an NFL team.

Comment

• Goldson is the most overrated player on the Niners, him and Lewis were a disaster for most of last season. Reggie Smith needs to step up big time. The best thing about Goldson is he is a human missile, but he misses a lot of tackles and takes some horrible angles.

Comment

• Originally posted by BMS View Post
                                I'm sorry to be rude, but I simply had to reply to this comment. The idea that Dashon Goldson might be the highest paid safety in NFL history in 2011 is beyond preposterous. I can't believe any Niners fan would even suggest such a thing. Did you watch any games last year? Goldson is a big weakness on the Niners defense.

But of course no reason to take my word for it. Pro Football Focus (the guys who rate every player on every play of every game rated Goldson the #82 safety out of 87 qualifiers (safeties who played at least 25% of their team's snaps). He was the fifth worst starter in football, worse than even guys with awful reputations like C.C. Brown or Sabby Piscatelli. And actually he was rated as above average against the run, but unfortunately he was also rated as the worst safety in pass coverage in the NFL.

The idea that Goldson deserves a big contract is so ludicrous that it's borderline trolling. We should be praying the Niners have a better solution even for next year (Eric Berry anyone), Dashon Goldson should absolutely not be a starting free safety for an NFL team.
                                Don't use Pro Football Focus as a source to evaluate players. Watch the games yourself. That site has Vernon Davis ranked as like the 57th best tight end in the league. Upon discovering this I stopped visiting the website.

Dashon Goldson is a decent, not great safety. He may get better with experience but that remains to be seen. But I do agree that it is ridiculous for him or anyone else to be thinking that he should be the highest paid safety in the league or anything close to it.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                                Originally posted by Borat
                                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information